• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CnNkTWoUEAAZC62.jpg:orig

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
https://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/press/2016/071301/

CnOb9hSXEAAHO2w.jpg:orig

The final playable KOF XIV build including 48 balanced characters will be available for fans to play.

Since Dec. 2015, playable builds of KOF XIV have been exhibited all across the world. However, throughout this upcoming “WORLD PREMIERE TOUR”, the final playable KOF XIV (release version) build including 48 balanced characters will be available for fans to play. We will announce more regions’ dates for the “WORLD PREMIERE TOUR” in the coming weeks. Please do not miss out on this great opportunity to play “THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV” which has evolved over time, and now in its complete form!

Flowmoney

I hope this game gets character dlc.

Team Agent with Vanessa , Blue Mary and Seth would be awesome.

Wouldn't mind Heavy D! and Whip somehow.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I gotta say, I think the variety of textures (CG graphic wise, and "portraying the material correctly" wise) on Mian look great, personally.

One thing I like about KI models over many of SFV's is that they have so many individual, unique pieces that give the model a sense of "weight" that I feel many 3D games lack. Some people think that makes a design look "busy", I think it just makes them look closer to much of the works I like in 2D.

XIV strikes a good design balance. You have a bunch of characters wearing things with crazy belts, zippers, extra chains, earrings, different gloves on each hand, eyepatches, etc... and then you have simplier people like Tung Fu Rue or MuiMui, both new characters to the series, but eschewing modern design tropes for simplicity that mimics the kind of work gaming fans in the 90s would have liked. Both of these could have been made overly-busy in a load of ways, but yet, they weren't. Yet the details they do have (The texture on Tung's shirt + the fact he rocks a 2nd character model for spirit attacks, and the material and shoulder purse on MuiMui along with a reference to her panda friend) are all meaningful to the character's personality and design inspirations.

I've always found something particularly nice and pleasing about 3D models that "make their pieces matter". Even though many of the skins in something like SMITE are fairly simple (being 1 of 10s of characters on screen at times), I love how many elements have their own animations and textures to them. Similar to PS1's RPG in-battle models, or the characters in Tobal 2.

Heck, I often love Koei-Tecmo's MUSOU character models, too, which KoF XIV's remind me of.

Someone commented that Nightmare Geese was a very MOBA-esque skin yesterday, and honestly... I like that. Most 3D fighting game costumes are so detached from the characters themselves, it's embarrassing. Be it a bikini or a full-body combat dress, the character pay no attention this shift at all, and it feels kind of dumb. SFV tells us things like Mika's Wrestling outfit is considered a family heirloom by her now in the purchase page description... wouldn't it be nice for MIKA to tell us that in between rounds, or during a taunt, too? Or for non-Zombie Charles Nash to actually stop acting like a frickin zombie?

NM Geese could have just been a color shift, but the extra-patchy skin and pants, ripped hakama, and demonic voice filter give it just a bit more personality that is normally saved for a full character version, rather than a skin. Add recolored special effects and a new victory / mid round win animation to that, and you'd approach the kind of things MOBA's often seem to do.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Are there any other DLC costumes announced beyond Kyo and Geese? Would love Garou Terry and a few variations of Athena.

None announced yet. Until yesterday, we all thought Kyo was the only one to expect, and they hadn't hinted at more, either. So Geese really just came out of nowhere.

Holy shit. Is this a Pre-Order only incentive?

PSN Pre-order only so far. Same with the Neo Esaka PS4 theme (though a few got that free before PSN got it's act together.)

Loona

Who's playing Team Mask/ Hide Face?

KOD, Mian, Kukri

I'm kinda hoping future skins get to involve more face hiding for a few characters - one of my favorite Andy looks is his FF3 intro animation where he looks particularly ninja-y, with a scarf covering his mouth before he tosses it aside. I wish he'd kept the ponytail he got in that game in more games, but his Wild Ambition player 2 look was the extent of that after Real Bout... seems like the perfect opportunity to bring that whole package back.

Mr Karate Ryo, mask or no mask, is fine too, as long as it doesn't involve the wig from MI2.

Heck, they could give Ramon his blue mask from that one illustration too, and complete the set with an alternate masked look for Angel too while they're at it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What are the chances that this will game will NOT have a bullshit final boss that will make me break an expensive PS4 controller/stick?

Any word on whom the arcade mode boss may even be? Neo Rugal?

BadWolf

What are the chances that this will game will NOT have a bullshit final boss that will make me break an expensive PS4 controller/stick?

Any word on whom the arcade mode boss may even be? Neo Rugal?

It's a new boss, supposedly with some time related powers.

There should be a version of the boss balanced for regular play, both he/she and Antonov (new sub boss, Russian billionaire) are counted as part of the 50 character playable roster.

Amedo310

I'm kinda hoping future skins get to involve more face hiding for a few characters - one of my favorite Andy looks is his FF3 intro animation where he looks particularly ninja-y, with a scarf covering his mouth before he tosses it aside. I wish he'd kept the ponytail he got in that game in more games, but his Wild Ambition player 2 look was the extent of that after Real Bout... seems like the perfect opportunity to bring that whole package back.

Mr Karate Ryo, mask or no mask, is fine too, as long as it doesn't involve the wig from MI2.

Heck, they could give Ramon his blue mask from that one illustration too, and complete the set with an alternate masked look for Angel too while they're at it.

Lol. This needs to happen.

Beckx

what is the schedule for the KOF tournament / panel this weekend at EVO?

someone get that to Kadey so that it goes in the EVO thread tonight.

stn

Wait, Nightmare Geese is only for PSN digital pre-orders? Bloody hell, I want to buy the disc-based limited edition of this! Also, what team is everyone planning to use? I'm gonna start with Geese, Athena, and Dinosaur.

Astarte

Wait, Nightmare Geese is only for PSN digital pre-orders? Bloody hell, I want to buy the disc-based limited edition of this! Also, what team is everyone planning to use? I'm gonna start with Geese, Athena, and Dinosaur.

Hein, Iori, Thicc China.

Negaduck

If a kof game doesn't have a Bullshit boss it's not kof.

But I think I heard that after you beat the game you unlock the boss, probably like saiki? Didnt you have to beat the game to unlock him? And then like, shin Akuma as the boss and just had a snack Akuma as playable?

So...the official KOF website updated, and as of this post, every character(except for Antonov and the final boss) has their move list available for viewing:

http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/command/

--Raging Storm's command is a ranbu motion, and is Geese's climax DM.
--Meitenkun has two charge specials and two motion specials.
--Alice has rekkas.
--Mian has two special moves that have four follow-up options.

Those were what I thought was most noticeable.

Mine will be some combination of Chang, KOD, Luong, Mian, Xanadu, Billy, Maxima, Muimui, Kula, and Vice.

Cop out answer, I know. But, I really don't know yet~

BadWolf

So...the official KOF website updated, and as of this post, every character(except for Antonov and the final boss) has their move list available for viewing:

http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/command/

Thanks.

- Mian has a whole bunch of air attacks
- Gang-Il has rekka combinations, no charge moves (ala Dong Hwan)
- Angel's move list looks intact
- Kensou is no longer a rekka character. Has his old specials and command normals back?
- The names of Alice's moves sound very Terry inspired. She seems promising.
- The names of Xanadu's moves are... to the point.

Numb

Joe,Terry,Geese,Vice,Angel,Dino,Zarina and Luong combos -_-

Zetta

Hopefully everyone who doesn't preorder through PSN can get it since I'm getting the LE. I'm going with Terry,Geese,Dino, Joe and of course Iori.

JayEH

Athena, King, and Robert will be my first team but I want to try out like half the cast right now lol.

Top Bottom