• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

ajb1888

Banned
Is KoF a 4 button (limb based) or 6 button fighter like sf?

I usually find 4 buttons easier to play on pad than stick.. just curious.

Uraizen

Banned
Yup, it lets you bypass the activation stage and go straight into a special (while entering max mode at the same time).

Here's a tutorial: Kuso Introduction to BC / HD Bypass Technique

In XIV it will allow you to do EX moves in combos right after a normal, instead of having to activate and dash up etc. in the middle of a combo first.

I vote that this video and explanation go into the OT of KoFXIV when it get close to release.

HotHamBoy

Is KoF a 4 button (limb based) or 6 button fighter like sf?

I usually find 4 buttons easier to play on pad than stick.. just curious.

There's a light and hard kicks and punches, making 4. But there are a lot of special maneuveres involving some combination of two of them, like rolls and blowbacks, so I personally prefer a stick.

Although I always prefer a stick.

Numb

TrEYj0j.gif

Is there an input buffer in KoFXIV? I don't know if 13 had one but I found some stuff had some pretty strict timing. Or maybe it's just the crazy motions that i'm not used to and i'm taking to long to do.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
so I'm a bit confused on the Alice being used here

is she the one from the print tie-in, the pachinko, or an amalgamation?

Loona

so I'm a bit confused on the Alice being used here

is she the one from the print tie-in, the pachinko, or an amalgamation?

What print tie-in?...

She was in pachislot games and at least one of the Days of Memories dating sims, but never really got to fight before.
For someone who represents a peculiar era of SNK, her moveset turned out to be a nice homage to the company's fighting roots in the FF series, which makes her a lot more likable... now if only she was wearing something that made her look ready for a fight instead of for a day at the beach...

ajb1888

Banned
There's a light and hard kicks and punches, making 4. But there are a lot of special maneuveres involving some combination of two of them, like rolls and blowbacks, so I personally prefer a stick.

Although I always prefer a stick.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check out that demo tomorrow

Sayad

Is there a demo thread? If not someone should make it, SNK made a shitty job advertising this demo, I have this thread bookmarked yet only found out about the demo yesterday! Would have made one, but I can't find information about regions release dates anywhere!
9ovvu0I.gif

Sayad

I haven't been able to execute a super cancel in the tutorial, any tips?

After doing the super motion, keep holding the last input buttons, the cancel will happen the moment it becomes available. KoF games have huge ass buffers, you just need to keep holding the buttons to keep it active.

Edit: just tried it, forward > QCF Punch > QCF Punch should make it easy, don't do the double QCF for the super, one is enough since you just did a QCF for the dragon punch.

OmegaDL50

Is there a demo thread? If not someone should make it, SNK made a shitty job advertising this demo, I have this thread bookmarked yet only found out about the demo yesterday! Would have made one, but I can't find information about regions release dates anywhere!
9ovvu0I.gif

They made the announcement at EVO, so the ton of folks watching the KOF XIV streams at EVO got the word.

And since EVO is a significant venue for fighting games for both in terms of advertising and fan attraction, that alone should have been more than sufficient for word to spread relatively fast enough by word of mouth and the usual places (SRK, Orochinagi, etc.)

Sayad

They made the announcement at EVO, so the ton of folks watching the KOF XIV streams at EVO got the word.

And since EVO is a significant venue for fighting games for both in terms of advertising and fan attraction, that alone should have been more than sufficient for word to spread relatively fast enough by word of mouth and the usual places (SRK, Orochinagi, etc.)
I watched about ~20 hours of EVO stuff this weekend and still missed it. Nothing about it on SRK front page, no mention of it in trailers or any gaming website! It's really hard to find about it if you're not a FG player!

Finaika

I watched about ~20 hours of EVO stuff this weekend and still missed it. Nothing about it on SRK front page, no mention of it in trailers or any gaming website! It's really hard to find about it if you're not a FG player!

They made the announcement on stage just before the Guilty Gear finals.

Peff

Here you go: a free PS4 dynamic theme to go along with the demo (Europe):

https://store.playstation.com/#!/pt...heme/cid=EP4062-CUSA05461_00-ETH0000000000489

I'm at work and won't be able to try the demo until later tonight. :(
Does this demo have local versus?
Has anyone tried if the demo works through PS4's Share Play? That way we could play it online...

It does and it works, even though parts of the menu count as blocked scenes for some reason. Once you get to the character select screen it's all good though.

kdash7

Through the button config is there a way to completely remove mapping from R1,R2,L1 and L2? Like make them blank? I dont have a PS4 yet.

Sayad

Through the button config is there a way to completely remove mapping from R1,R2,L1 and L2? Like make them blank? I dont have a PS4 yet.
Nope, you can set three of them to empty commands though(rec, play, repeat which are active in training mode only).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
His standing C and D normals do have autoguard, I believe. I couldn't really get the AI to attack me when I wanted to, so I couldn't really test out how long the autoguard lasts.
To work with this, record the CPU doing the attacks you want to test autoguard against, without something like a shimmy of a jump before they do the motions. That way you can time yourself to your record dummy, and test out against what you want to.

Also, his Far C is Super Cancelable. Even at max range, DINNAH TIME seems to always work fully.

I found it hard to confirm MAX mode combos off of landed far C and D normals.
This will probably be a pain with a lot of characters for a while

His overhead command normal(the headbutt) only combos from close normals at point black range. If it had more horizontal movement, it would be a much more useful combo tool.
I think the idea is that it's there more for surprise overhead, and less as a combo tool. HIs swipes work for such at the proper ranges, and they combo off a few lights (Like 2 crouching LP, and more and the range is not guaranteed.)

Sylvie is also lacking a ranged, reliable combo command normal at anything but point-blank range. Yet her command normal is cancelable without being cancelled into, and can be used as an AA.

A lot of the Command normals from these non KyoIori characters seem to only work at tight, close ranges, on standing opponents.

His Assault Raptor(jumping command throw) is duckable, which sucks. I'd rarely use it in the neutral.
Use it for getting anyone who might be back-dashing, or going for a standing normal. It feels like it not only checks "are they standing" at the first moment to hit with it, but also throughout the opponents immediate movement. So if they see it coming, and stand to backdash, it catches them.

Laban's testing of Zarina's leaping throw showed similar results, and Hein's is similar, so it's not just a KoD thing.

It's useful for closing the distance after you land a blowback, and you might be able to hit somebody when they use a fireball, but I see no good offensive use for his Assault Raptor. It's not nearly as useful as something like Birdie's jumping command throw in SF5.

I think a lof of these hop moves are made to whiff on CD wall-splat opponents, and get you into range for followups. Shun'Ei's dashing punches will often pass through CD splat people, but it puts you RIGHT in range for his dbl qcf+p DM to do optimal damage. Since DM splat collapse is a hard knockdown, it's time to go for those OTG bites, or scrape them off the ground with claw swipes.

I'm no KOF pro, but I do think that KoD is kind of a rough/incomplete character. If he had a few little changes to how his moves worked, then I feel he would be much better. As is, he's all right. I'll play him, but I might use characters like Maxima, Chang and Xanadu(big might in his case) over KoD.

I don't think he's personally incomplete. I think they're just trying apparently pretty hard to put more varied types of characters into this KoF, after XIII made everyone think that every character was clearly hop rushdown. I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of Neo-G's Capcom-like influence, actually.

Someone like Nelson, to me, has a hard time dealing with KoD. He wants to get in to start his chains, but KoD has superiority at that range, and he can Guardpoint through many things. He even has tools to overtake the poke C / D ranges well, and Lk->ZetsMets gets some pretty solid damage, while putting the opponent back a "I dare you to approach me again!" range.

I don't know if this will really make a variety of grapplers with unique gameplay speeds and power balance... or if it'll just make Ramon the best one. Guess we'll see as time goes on.

At EVO, there were many people who were setting simply 4 buttons to use for the attacks, and then blanking out every other command after those. I'm not sure what they pressed, but it does appear to be there. They were using Joysticks, so it has to be something accessible on one...

Question about Nelson - how does his D chain work? I can do a chain that goes from his lp, lk and ends with HP but I can't then chain to his HK dash. I swear I've seen the CPU manage that though, with some sweet looking combo's.

I'm loving the game so far, but I already get the feeling I won't be able to pull off any of those sweet combo's without a decent challenge/tutorial mode for each character that explains their beginner combo's etc.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What print tie-in?...

She was in pachislot games and at least one of the Days of Memories dating sims, but never really got to fight before.
For someone who represents a peculiar era of SNK, her moveset turned out to be a nice homage to the company's fighting roots in the FF series, which makes her a lot more likable... now if only she was wearing something that made her look ready for a fight instead of for a day at the beach...

oh so it was a dating sim, I thought it was a novel

I was told they were different Alices, so they are one after all?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Question about Nelson - how does his D chain work? I can do a chain that goes from his lp, lk and ends with HP but I can't then chain to his HK dash. I swear I've seen the CPU manage that though, with some sweet looking combo's.

I'm loving the game so far, but I already get the feeling I won't be able to pull off any of those sweet combo's without a decent challenge/tutorial mode for each character that explains their beginner combo's etc.

Nelson's D chain potions are his movement out of hits, basically. Idealy, you only really want to use them after juggling with something like back+A (Light Punch) into b+B (light kick).

So a fun combo to do for him is something like b+A, b+B, f(orward)+D (heavy Kick), b+A again, f+D, f+C (Heavy Punch).

Remember that "forward" will always be the direct pointing towards your opponents location.

As far as worrying about combos... a nice thing about this game is that it lets you decide how you want to do things in a variety of ways. You can get basic combos into specials and supers by just mashing the standing A attack over and over.

You can do a combo using 1 bar of meter by either doing a normal hit into a super, a normal hit into a command normal into a super, or a normal hit into a 2nd normal into a special and then into the super. Or a normal hit into MAX mode, into a few EX special moves.

You can basically find combos that work in the way easiest for you, and then use those as you try to get better at another style.

oh so it was a dating sim, I thought it was a novel

I was told they were different Alices, so they are one after all?

Alice Garnet Nakata: The Alice we got.

Alice Chrysler: The one that's a fan of Kim.

They both seem to be basically born from the same ideas / inspiration, so the chance for one's personality to cross into the over was possible. However, the Alice we got seems to be an expansion of the one presented in the Days of Memories and Garou Densetsu Premium Pachislot title. MuiMui, Love Heart, and this Alice were all characterizations drawn from Pachinko games. Even if they exist somewhere else (like In Nako's case), a lot of the current elements are from the Pachislot appearance.

Nelson's D chain potions are his movement out of hits, basically. Idealy, you only really want to use them after juggling with something like back+A (Light Punch) into b+B (light kick).

So a fun combo to do for him is something like b+A, b+B, f(orward)+D (heavy Kick), b+A again, f+D, f+C (Heavy Punch).

Remember that "forward" will always be the direct pointing towards your opponents location.

As far as worrying about combos... a nice thing about this game is that it lets you decide how you want to do things in a variety of ways. You can get basic combos into specials and supers by just mashing the standing A attack over and over.

You can do a combo using 1 bar of meter by either doing a normal hit into a super, a normal hit into a command normal into a super, or a normal hit into a 2nd normal into a special and then into the super. Or a normal hit into MAX mode, into a few EX special moves.

You can basically find combos that work in the way easiest for you, and then use those as you try to get better at another style.

Alice Garnet Nakata: The Alice we got.

Alice Chrysler: The one that's a fan of Kim.

They both seem to be basically born from the same ideas / inspiration, so the chance for one's personality to cross into the over was possible. However, the Alice we got seems to be an expansion of the one presented in the Days of Memories and Garou Densetsu Premium Pachislot title. MuiMui, Love Heart, and this Alice were all characterizations drawn from Pachinko games. Even if they exist somewhere else (like In Nako's case), a lot of the current elements are from the Pachislot appearance.

Thanks for the info on Nelson. I've got a couple of cool chains down with him now. He seems like a really interesting character to play as. Thankfully I can still do some of the EZ combo's with Kyo that I used in previous games! Can't wait to give Terry, Kim and Geese a try in the full game.

After doing the super motion, keep holding the last input buttons, the cancel will happen the moment it becomes available. KoF games have huge ass buffers, you just need to keep holding the buttons to keep it active.

Edit: just tried it, forward > QCF Punch > QCF Punch should make it easy, don't do the double QCF for the super, one is enough since you just did a QCF for the dragon punch.

THANK YOU

This makes doing super > EX super so much more consistent.

Edit: Holy shit Sylvie's forward and backward walking animations. And that run. <.<;

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
9ovvu0I.gif

You mean announcing it at a panel at Evo?
Showing a trailer on Finals day at Evo?
Atlus tweeting about it?
SNK tweeting about it?
PSN Blog post about it?

Once the US Demo is out a dedicated thread could be a good idea.

kdash7

Nope, you can set three of them to empty commands though(rec, play, repeat which are active in training mode only).

At EVO, there were many people who were setting simply 4 buttons to use for the attacks, and then blanking out every other command after those. I'm not sure what they pressed, but it does appear to be there. They were using Joysticks, so it has to be something accessible on one...

Thanks guys

Top Bottom