• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

So does that mean its gonna be basically arcade mode with in game cutscenes for each character (like classic KOF games) instead of a central story that jumps from team to team (similar to modern stories like SFV and MK/Injustice)
Seems like it. I have no problem with this, since KoF is actually based around a tournament that teams compete in. This makes sense.

So does that mean its gonna be basically arcade mode with in game cutscenes for each character (like classic KOF games) instead of a central story that jumps from team to team (similar to modern stories like SFV and MK/Injustice)
"modern" story mode is usually pretty bad and useless, so I'm more than ok with this.

BadWolf

Played the demo non stop yesterday, the game feels so damn good!

Won't lie, I spent most of my time using Nelson. He's so awesome, his gameplay feels so refined. On the surface it looks complicated but in practice the way his moves work and flow is actually very simple and logical.

Love SNK's no limits approach, you can do pretty much anything you want with this guy out of whatever. If this were SFV he would have been limited to hell and back.

His chains have unblockables, dashes, lows, overheads, hard knockdowns and can easily lead into supers and resets. He can start said chains off of not only hard and light normals but lows and overheads as well. That's right, he can do full chain combos from his overhead. Not only that but he can super, advanced cancel and climax cancel from his raw overhead as well lol.

At its core his gameplay functions very much like Angel's. There are 3 stages to his moves, with each stage allowing you to do different moves. You can't do stage 2 moves without doing a stage 1 move first and you can't do a stage 3 move without doing stage 1 and 2 moves first.

Much like Angel he doesn't need to actually hit with the above stages of moves to do them, he can whiff moves to get to higher stages. This will probably also flow well with his hard knock down moves for set ups.

Speaking of his command dash, I didn't try it against ground fireballs but against normal ones it's completely invincible to them. He can supercancel this dash at any point. So he won't have as much problems with zoners. Like with Leona, this dash also lets him capitalize a ton off of CD wall bounce. He doesn't need to cancel the CD, he can just do it raw and still have time to do a command dash supercancel from across the screen (and into climax cancel for huge damage).

The way he can capitalize into big damage via overheads, CD wall bounce etc. makes him feel like a good choice for placing him second or anchor.

Also, he can't combo into supers after his close st. C after 2 hits because there is too much push back but he can combo them if you do the super via max mode bypass instead.

-Meitenkun is unique for a charge character, the longer you hold back, the stronger the move becomes.

Is this the first time this has been done with a charge character?

So simple yet so smart.

The matches they had also showed some cool stuff with Zarina, she has a lot of potential. The guy did a command normal (?) as an anti-air which left them in a juggle state and he was able to combo further.

Loona

Story mode for XIII was as you described, with more scenes between fights than Arcade mode which often depended on the selected team, but there are other ways to do story mode other than the NRS way.

I personally like the Dissidia or DoA5 way, where each character has a certain path consisting of a number of fights, but most happen simultaneously, and once you're done with them all you get to see the complete sequence of events as it shifts between different points of view.

The Story video showed Kyo, Nakoruru and Tung's team at the site of the final boss's appearance, so I figure canonically they're all present tehe, but before Antonov it should be regular tournament fights with hints of the bigger picture throughout.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Alice Garnet Nakata: The Alice we got.

Alice Chrysler: The one that's a fan of Kim.

They both seem to be basically born from the same ideas / inspiration, so the chance for one's personality to cross into the over was possible. However, the Alice we got seems to be an expansion of the one presented in the Days of Memories and Garou Densetsu Premium Pachislot title. MuiMui, Love Heart, and this Alice were all characterizations drawn from Pachinko games. Even if they exist somewhere else (like In Nako's case), a lot of the current elements are from the Pachislot appearance.

okay, this clarifies things, thanks!

I was wondering where the Kim reference was and it wasn't on her moveset, I guess this explains it lol

BadWolf

Speaking of Mai, being able to special cancel her target combo is a god send, I wanted this so much in XIII.

Close standing HK or HP>fan>pillar EX super does like 47% damage for 2 bars (and very little effort) O_O

She feels very solid overall and definitely a threat. Her ability to advanced cancel and climax cancel doesn't seem too hot though, probably done for balance purposes. In terms of raw usage she probably has one of the best climax supers in the game.

Too bad she lost her awesome standing far HK from XIII though. Also, don't know if the timing has changed or they removed it but I wasn't able to end corner combos with an air throw like in XIII. And the air double knee drop move might have a height restriction now, in XIII she could do it while almost hitting the ground after a jump but in XIV she wouldn't do it, it also kind of felt like she gained more air while doing the move overall.

I wonder how viable it can be on a real match @__@

It should for sure, he can probably get a level 2 or 3 charge in the time it takes Guile to throw 1 Sonic Boom lol.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im stuck at work and cannot stop thinking about the demo lol

Im gonna go so hard on KING OF DINOUSAURS and my boy IORI
SOOOOOOOOO HYYYYPED!!! Im like 10 years old again!!!

Only KOF and MGS (#RIP) make me feel like a kid again.

Piccoro

Im stuck at work and cannot stop thinking about the demo lol

Same here, man! Damn is the time running slowly or what?
Can't wait to try the demo. I think I'm gonna go with the veterans Kyo, Iori and Mai, but I'll also try Shun’ei because he looks cool.

Amedo310

Nelson feels like a character who wants to immediately go in raw max mode and just abuse his invincible dash, hcb+BD.

Kyo's reason to do raw max mode is to abuse qcf+AC. It has more auto-gaurd and the first hit is safe on block. Also, his invincible dp+AC is a nice incentive to keep the opponent at bay.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
They did Cr.A x3 into max level rush punch in the newest SNK station matches, so totally.
So the charge times are super short? :0
I like this!

lol @ Story Mode.
I play it for the plot!

Same here, man! Damn is the time running slowly or what?
Can't wait to try the demo. I think I'm gonna go with the veterans Kyo, Iori and Mai, but I'll also try Shun’ei because he looks cool.
Well it's an obligation to play with Iori and Kyo at least once. A duty for any KOF fan.

At Evo, we could clear an assignment in button configuration by pressing right on the joystick.
Wut? Like an achievement you mean?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Does anyone know if the US demo is out yet?

It probably doesn't matter as much at this point, but you can just make an Australian PSN account really quickly and download the demo now. I did this last night (Thanks, Xevren!) and it took just a few minutes to make a Gmail address and use it to add an Aussie account to my PS4, set it as a primary account, download the demo, and then switch back to my U.S. account to play it.

BadWolf

Nelson feels like a character who wants to immediately go in raw max mode and just abuse his invincible dash, hcb+BD.

Dunno about that, the invincible dash is nice but it would limit his regular DM usage. The gut punch super in particular is very useful as a reversal and also for combos, dash supercancels etc. It's also invincible and looks safe on block.

Played the demo non stop yesterday, the game feels so damn good!

Won't lie, I spent most of my time using Nelson. He's so awesome, his gameplay feels so refined. On the surface it looks complicated but in practice the way his moves work and flow is actually very simple and logical.

At first I thought Nelson = Vanessa, boy was I wrong.
Very unique character, but I cant help but to feel that he wont be a top tier character, due to being limited to always chaining his move to get the most of it, especially given how aggressive kof combat is. Unless people find ways to spend 1 bar in Max mode for set ups or traps to get those chains going, I don't see how Nelson will stand out much(perhaps it will be a good idea for him to be placed as secondary or third in your team.I will have to see if how he turns out in the Final game.

lol@ nelson prosthetic arm switching sides, I guess SNK got lazy and didn't want to animate him that much.

Anyone know if the announcer during the combat can be turned off?
Anyone know how to taunt in the demo?

Tizoc

I much prefer this over something like SFV's story mode.

SF5 isn't the only fighting game in the world mate. BUT I agree that the way SF5 approached 'Story Mode' is bizarre.
They could've just made traditional arcade mode function as the preludes, or character's build up story like what BlazBlue and Guilty Gear Xrd did. 6 opponents, 2 bosses and boom, traditional arcade mode style 'Story Mode'.

SNK may cover it by calling it 'Story Mode' but at the end of the day it's traditional FG arcade mode.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
One character who surprised me in the demo is Sylvie-- didn't think I'd like this character at all, especially from pre-release screenshots and videos, but her animations and moveset are pretty fun. Everyone in the demo is pretty awesome. This game doesn't have the best character models (both in detail and with technical problems like clipping), but their animations more than make up for it. It's just like the good ol' Neo-Geo days...their personalities shine through.

jett

D-Member
SF5 isn't the only fighting game in the world mate. BUT I agree that the way SF5 approached 'Story Mode' is bizarre.
They could've just made traditional arcade mode function as the preludes, or character's build up story like what BlazBlue and Guilty Gear Xrd did. 6 opponents, 2 bosses and boom, traditional arcade mode style 'Story Mode'.

SNK may cover it by calling it 'Story Mode' but at the end of the day it's traditional FG arcade mode.

And I prefer that.

I'm happy SNK is sticking with a more traditionnal arcade story mode, because what we got in SFV was a gigantic waste of time.

Yep.

Neoxon

This is exactly what I wanted. I was bummed that there was no Arcade mode but I'm glad I still get my mode with a bunch of fights and two bosses. Hopefully the final boss is badass and hard as hell.
If I recall, SNK typically combines Arcade Mode & Story Mode into one (thus killing two birds with one stone) with the KoF games.

TreIII

This is exactly what I wanted. I was bummed that there was no Arcade mode but I'm glad I still get my mode with a bunch of fights and two bosses. Hopefully the final boss is badass and hard as hell.

Preach. It's all that I think a KOF-styled story has ever really needed. Even XIII's approach felt overly superfluous with its faux v-novel/BlazBlue-styled approach.

Top Bottom