• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

I had an issue on the ps4 itself where i tried to select the item and it kept saying that it wasn't available at this time .

I ended up selecting it through the psn store link on my computer above and that did the trick. Just a FYI in case anyone else has issues.

Skunkers

I had an issue on the ps4 itself where i tried to select the item and it kept saying that it wasn't available at this time .

I ended up selecting it through the psn store link on my computer above and that did the trick. Just a FYI in case anyone else has issues.

Yep same here, store link on last page works.

Made sure I left my PS4 on sleep mode so I won't have to wait to download when I get home. Super excited to finally dive into this and put some hours into the lab

I'm okay with it being an arcade mode, but man I loved how MK and SFV and BB do their story modes. I love seeing a straight canonical path on how the characters act with each other. : /

But ah, that's just a small part of why I play fighting games. It'll still be fun.

BadWolf

Please do!!
Stuck at work for another 5 hours #RIP

Done.

Sweet Jesus these combos look good!

On another note, do any of you guys have any Mai bnb? I'm pretty shitty at kof so any help would be great :D

This will be her main BnB:

Croucing LK (optional), standing LK, standing HK > special move (HCF+K for example, her flying elbow)

Standing LK to HK is a target combo and gives you a good amount of time to input the special.

Once you get that down you can super or climax cancel the special move ender for more damage.

Kuksune

Done.

This will be her main BnB:

Croucing LK (optional), standing LK, standing HK > special move (HCF+K for example, her flying elbow)

Standing LK to HK is a target combo and gives you a good amount of time to input the special.

Once you get that down you can super or climax cancel the special move ender for more damage.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Did Tung lose the kamehameha super? I think I remember seeing it in an older trailer.

As the resident guy who plays all the old guys, nope, he didn't have that in this game at any point we've seen.

Did we see him combo into his sweep early on in that trailer's attack montage? Because that'd be quite nice. They don't seem to list target combos in the movelist here, and that's... actually an annoying omission.

Tung's missing his extra energy orbs to make his attacks wider, and while I don't mind that personally, I get the feeling this will make him similar to Nelson, in that he really has to play a footsie-dominant game, and be ready to capitialize on ANY chance he gets to land a combo. Because it's gonna take some time to get the opening.

Anywho, off to one of the... 2 other threads... that spouted today... lol. Why did the Team China vid release so early? Will we still get one Thurs? Might we even get one on WED?

Memory

Very impressed with the demo, this is certainly KOF through and through. Can't wait until full release, only question now is physical steel book case or digital.

Amedo310

Dunno about that, the invincible dash is nice but it would limit his regular DM usage. The gut punch super in particular is very useful as a reversal and also for combos, dash supercancels etc. It's also invincible and looks safe on block.

You are right. His regular qcfx2+p is a good tool.

OmegaDL50

Probably not the first person that did this.

I figured out how to properly extract audio from the demo for the purpose sharing the stage music.

In anycase, go into options turn all of the audio options down except for music. Go into any stage or character combination of your choice and use the share button to record. Copy the video over to your PC and extract the audio and edit in Audacity or your prefered audio editing program.

This is one of the results, I think another user has uploaded most of the team tracks already, but I just wanted to share this one because I don't think it has been available yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGVDaKAx2OA - Enjoy folks!

Insolitus

Banned
Played KOF via the demo for the first time, had a lot of fun even though I suck at fighting games outside of Smash Bros. I like a lot of the character designs too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
As the resident guy who plays all the old guys, nope, he didn't have that in this game at any point we've seen.

Did we see him combo into his sweep early on in that trailer's attack montage? Because that'd be quite nice. They don't seem to list target combos in the movelist here, and that's... actually an annoying omission.

Tung's missing his extra energy orbs to make his attacks wider, and while I don't mind that personally, I get the feeling this will make him similar to Nelson, in that he really has to play a footsie-dominant game, and be ready to capitialize on ANY chance he gets to land a combo. Because it's gonna take some time to get the opening.

Anywho, off to one of the... 2 other threads... that spouted today... lol. Why did the Team China vid release so early? Will we still get one Thurs? Might we even get one on WED?

Ah I guess I misremembered then

Still I kinda wish he had that :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ah I guess I misremembered then

Still I kinda wish he had that :(

Momoko stole it from him, and then gave a wimpy version to Meitenkun for his CDM.

As much as I love the move, I gladly accept (FOR NOW) that such a move is stuck in NGBC levels of absurdity, and that most things in KoF aren't THAT crazy.

But When THIS happens in KOF:

marco-ngbc-super.gif
cw-super2.gif

I totally expect this to return:

tung-super3.gif
terry-xi-super.gif

Menitta

Played KOF via the demo for the first time, had a lot of fun even though I suck at fighting games outside of Smash Bros. I like a lot of the character designs too.

I feel that people who play Smash Bros could get a handle at KOF because of the jumps and the roll. I don't know. That's just my thought. I know it's more than that but it'd be a good way to introduce fundamentals at least.

Loona

If I recall, SNK typically combines Arcade Mode & Story Mode into one (thus killing two birds with one stone) with the KoF games.

In XIII they were distinct, the main differences being that Story mode made you stick to the predefined teams and their default colors, you got more scenes between fights, some of which you could select, and the scenes you got depended to some extent on the teams you picked - so the teams with a greater story role got scenes more related to the main story, like following the investigations lead by Heidern. IIRC it also affected which teams you fought, and it definitely affected the pre-match dialogs, since those got to involve the entire team instead of just the 2 characters fighting like Arcade.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I only had a couple of hours of play (And with a Dualshock4) but gotdamn if Nelson is not damn awesome!

Oh and King Of Dinousaurs? Probably the most real representacion of a Dinosaur on a videogame.
Friggin' love his OTG grab move.

KOFXIV might look subpar but they got the "fun" on lock.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Demo has hit JP PSN now... https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja...D=jGMMKT-PSBLG-blog-20160720-kofxiv-CUSA05358

If you download it, you get 10% off the full DL game (right up until September 30 too).
Plus, Classic Kyo, Nightmare Geese and the Esaka PS4 theme.

https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/3343/20160720-kofxiv.html

BTW the Esake Theme is like, the best PSN Theme i've seen.
You get different characters every time you log on. And the esaka version is suuuuper chill.

TreIII

I feel that people who play Smash Bros could get a handle at KOF because of the jumps and the roll. I don't know. That's just my thought. I know it's more than that but it'd be a good way to introduce fundamentals at least.

That's funny, now that you mention it. Having had a good deal of KOF experience by that point in time, Smash 64 and Melee were pretty easy for me to get into when they arrived, because I was able to find such common ground with the rolls, different hops and the like.

Yuritchi

Neo Member
Has anyone seen Takuma mentioned in any winquote yet? It just feels so weird to not have a single mention of him anywhere at all in this game... With Ryo apparently running the dojo now, has he truly retired for real?

Speaking of which, I hope the Story Mode includes team backstories, like the ones you could read on the KOF Anniversary or on the now-down KOF XIII website. That's another thing I've missed in this game as I've always enjoyed reading them.

BadWolf

Tried Kyo and he's really slick in XIV.

I think as time goes on his BnBs will change, it seems that to maximize damage in combos you have to substitute st.HP with st.HK and up kicks with HP rekkas.

His combo damage output is very interesting actually and makes him a great example of SNK making XIV more accessible. Often times shorter combos not only do comparable damage but even more damage than the longer ones.

For example, the up kicks>running grab> EX Orochinagi combo everyone is currently using does about 40% damage but instead of that you can just do st. HP (two hits)>EX punches super and end up with over 36% damage. Or you can do a combo that includes rekkas and end up with over 44% damage.

All of the above do damage in the same ballpark but are very different in terms of difficulty and execution. There are many ways to adjust his combos to your style and still end up with comparable damage.

BadWolf

Watched the stream with Romance, Xiaohai, Frionel etc. and it was pretty fun watching them experiment with combo video level stuff. They also made fun of Xiao Hai for being a tier whore lol.

Seems they too think that Mai is high tier material. Eventually they decided to play matches with teams containing no Kyo and Iori
and Mai
. They think she is a big problem for characters that need to get in to start their offense, including Kyo and Iori.

It was pretty boss to see Luis Cha fling Mai's fans at Xiao Hai's Shun'ei, only to have Xiao Hai jump to bait the Climax and then air back dash out of the way at the last second to make Mai's CDM whiff.

Top Bottom