• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is there a chance that the theme song will make it or is it confirmed to be sitting this one out? I need my theme music.

Remember that their team stage theme has so far been listed as an "Instrumental Version"... so wouldn't be surprised to hear an updated vocal theme somewhere in the game. Would probably, at the least, have some classic samples somewhere in there...

shaowebb

CoLcEJgUMAAdn2x.jpg:orig

OMG he cuddles the pillow no matter what idle he takes :)
I will play this character soooooooo much.

So I'm sitting here thinking I'm pretty good for being able to hold my own against a level 4 CPU. Then I watched a bunch of combo videos and was reminded of why I'm not a pro fighter lol :x

BadWolf

02UM was WAY too savage with this shit tho

Well XIV has a lot more in common with XIII than 02UM so far, not to mention wake up speed is only really an issue when it comes to hard knockdowns.

So I'm sitting here thinking I'm pretty good for being able to hold my own against a level 4 CPU. Then I watched a bunch of combo videos and was reminded of why I'm not a pro fighter lol :x

Those combo videos are just for show, especially when it comes to XIV and how its damage scaling works.

You can get comparable, if not more, damage by doing a simple bnb combo with an advanced or climax cancel.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
PSIKYO BALLUUU! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K44NE8Kmi7A

I love how the video clearly showed that a fully drunken Chin can 100% you, lol. "yes, we know he can do this!"

It also did a nice job showing little things like the range on Athena's CDM, how Kensou can chase a projectile with a DM projectile, and how Chin can cancel specials into drinking.

And I totally hear the classic "Athena's Name is Magic!" classic Psycho Soldier Beats in there... nice!

Kensou's hair looks a bit darker here? Or maybe it's just a placebo effect. Either way, he has a good assortment of classic moves with XIII normals, I wonder if he retained his Chain combo, or got a new one?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
He doesn't really need one anymore since his command overhead is back and combos from hard normals.

It's still remain a good way to get a heavier hitstun off lights, and would just serve as another option for conversion. He doesn't need it as much with the old command normals back, true, but it definitely wouldn't make him bloated or anything to still have this option as well.

Kensou also normally has a throw or command unblockable move somewhere in her arsenal, which he's lacking this time.

BadWolf

It's still remain a good way to get a heavier hitstun off lights, and would just serve as another option for conversion. He doesn't need it as much with the old command normals back, true, but it definitely wouldn't make him bloated or anything to still have this option as well.

Kensou also normally has a throw or command unblockable move somewhere in her arsenal, which he's lacking this time.

Iirc he and Mai received those target combos in the console version of XIII to have a way to hit confirm into combos/HD.

Mai still has her's since it's still her primary way to hit confirm.

So yeah, it wouldn't hurt him in any way but I wouldn't be surprised if it has been removed.

man...is kim's sensei just really short?

Yeah he's just short, which is funny considering how tall Luong is.

ike_

Finally pulled the trigger on a preorder.

tumblr_oal3recLaD1usrgjso2_500.gif

That Amazon Prime $12 off the steelbook launch edition is pretty nice.

Loona

KOF XIV OST is getting a standalone release in Japan, Sep 21 - http://www.team-e.co.jp/products/kdsd-00935-00937.html. Found this on https://www.reddit.com/r/SNK/ and thanks to i'm assuming the same Loona as on Neogaf!

Yep, that's me - There are a few sites that cover KoF and some additional SNK stuff, but the info over time tends to get buried under stuff like combo videos and tournament stuff that isn't that relevant if it happens in a completely different continent, so I figured, since Reddit was lacking a general SNK space (there were already KoF and NeoGeo subreddits then), I'd try and take care of that while solving the issue of the lack of a repository for interesting links and other info and news.

I do wish back then /r/SNK wasn't being used as a redirect to the Shingeki no Kyojin subreddit though, I wouldn't have had to create /r/SNKplaymore first - but since the company decided to rebrand back to its Playmore-less state, I managed to get Reddit to get me the rights to /r/SNK proper, as it wasn't really being used before. Maybe in a few more months it'll have enough people using it that I won't have to provide the vast majority of links there...

BadWolf

Via MMCafe, seems SNK will be holding a launch event (?) in Japan on release day and it will be streamed on niconico.

According to google translate it sounds like they will be inviting Xiao Hai and a bunch of top Japanese players to duke it out.

Cool. Doesn't affect my game plan of focusing on oki and neutral. I barely used it until KOFXIII and now I'll just try it out in 02um.

Yup, Kyo doesn't need it to be strong.

Via MMCafe, seems SNK will be holding a launch event (?) in Japan on release day and it will be streamed on niconico.

According to google translate it sounds like they will be inviting Xiao Hai and a bunch of top Japanese players to duke it out.

Yup, Kyo doesn't need it to be strong.

This isn't about him needing it, of course he looks strong as is.

Loona

So is this pillow character a guy ? How old is he ? he clearly doesn't lift bro. No Abs! I guess japanese girls will like him...

No mention of age other than him being young: https://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/teams/china.php

I figure he doesn't need to lift if his style relies heavily on letting gravity apply the strongest forces in the fight instead of straining his muscles with the effort of apply.ing force in directions opposite to that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Someone on Twitter compared KoF XIV's Bund to the real thing, from a pic they took themselves:

Machine Translation said:

Really does have a nice collection of buildings.

LoL.

I just never understood why Kyo needed such a tool when he has SO MANY MORE awesome things like a command normal that makes all his lights work with his heaviest combo set-ups, or even his ability to easy combo into Aragami chains off lights alone in XIV. Leave these kinda open-up tools to characters that have poor conversions / no overheads / poor jump-ins.

You can also still get some solid cross-ups with the thing out of a full jump, it's attack box is still very generous, and it has very solid hitstun. Jump B also has a bit of a crossup box too.

lol

the effort to not traumatize new players at the expense of KOF things continues

Naa, they'll just be traumatized by new stuff, such as running into a wall of much stronger normals, EX Command air dashes with Shun'ei, Mai's nearly unpunishable everything, or the fact that KOD's down.C has guard point, beats crossups, neutral high jumps, corner high jumps, and sets the enemy right in spot for him to abuse far.B pokes into claw->DINNAH TIME.

I like how Choi is just like "Really sick of your shit Kim"

Ha ha, it is a perfect look. I kinda wish this is something that would have also come across in how much a reference Juri is to Kim in some ways; I'd love to see at least some characters in SF act like she's completely overblown and goofy due to it, even though she's completely serious about how she views her own actions.

Of course, that'd require SF characters to show more interactive personality outside story mode... which is kinda a crapshoot.

So is this pillow character a guy ? How old is he ? he clearly doesn't lift bro. No Abs! I guess japanese girls will like him...

Eh, I think he's been one of the more successful "Young Boy" designs we've seen in a while already. While Bao's youth and boyshorts and innocence seemed to get him instantly reviled, most seem to positively appreciate Meitenkun here. The animations with his pillow are nifty, his bedhead actually looks cool and fantasy-rpg-ish outside of context, and the extra TLC put into things like him falling asleep if left idle after super moves can be appreciated. Not to mention his martial art is a solid mix of a bit of fantastic exaggeration and movie-style fun.

(source)

meitenkun's geki hou may not get him ripped, but we can still dream
I'd totally go for an EX version like this, heh.

Top Bottom