• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Amedo310

Here are my Nelson's safe-jump combos against Kyo.

1. Chain Command Normal string, f+C Chain Command Normal Ender on ground standing opponent, immediately whiff far C, immediate regular forward jump, air db+C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFAdHTpHzBk

2. A 2 bar corner combo into safe-jump: ...(b+A, or f+A), f+B, b+B, f+C, qcf (x2)+AC, immediately whiff cl. B, immediate regular forward jump, air db+C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPMOC7WsMEs

3. A mid-screen reset into a safe-jump: ...(b+A, or f+A), b+B, f+D, b+B, f+D, cl. B, forward hyper hop db+C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crx-LHZ4PHs

4. Command grab into safe-jump: cl. hcb, f+A/C, hcf+B, forward short hop db+C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTXkVlbokZU

BadWolf

Via SRK:

-SNK seems happy with the chinese public, and certainly they are a great bet, as they are a big market.

-There will be no ON / OFF option for Rush Combo, and it was decided during the EVO 2016 where the Rush was not used and not even exploited,for SNK the Rush Combo will not make any difference ... it's much more rewarding to invest in advanced combos.

-No DLC for now, only the 50 characters! ... But anything can happen ...

-DOA vs. KOF hasn't been thought yet, only Mai until now ... and there are no plans to put DOA characters in the KOF franchise.

--Apparently Oda was challenged in the event, and it was not this time, again, that he won ---

--- Several censorships happened in the Chinese version (Ex: Luong and Angel)---

- It is expected one patch per year for KOF XIV, as Oda after the release of XIV will prepare himself for the release of another SNK game.

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1013057.html

1. Chain Command Normal string, f+C Chain Command Normal Ender on ground standing opponent, immediately whiff far C, immediate regular forward jump, air db+C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFAdHTpHzBk

2. A 2 bar corner combo into safe-jump: ...(b+A, or f+A), f+B, b+B, f+C, qcf (x2)+AC, immediately whiff cl. B, immediate regular forward jump, air db+C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPMOC7WsMEs

3. A mid-screen reset into a safe-jump: ...(b+A, or f+A), b+B, f+D, b+B, f+D, cl. B, forward hyper hop db+C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crx-LHZ4PHs

4. Command grab into safe-jump: cl. hcb, f+A/C, hcf+B, forward short hop db+C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTXkVlbokZU

Thanks for this.

BadWolf

Professor posted more accurate translations:

A few things that need to be added from the same Impress Gamewatch article--

1/
Ryu Seira is doing voiceover for the game, confirms Impress Gamewatch. She's a VA from China who's now living in Japan so she fits the bill perfectly for a character that talks in both languages. It's probably Meitenkun, not Mian.

2/
There's no off switch for the Rush system but it wasn't because of Evo.
In the original text Oda says
"There's no on-off switch for the Rush system and we believe that the Rush System has been balanced enough that advanced players won't be able to exploit it. In fact, nobody at Evo was using it, and I believe it's because the advanced players are better off without it."

3/
Oda never mentions in the interview about going on to another SNK title after KOFXIV. Nor does he mention anything about one patch per year.

He says
"Updates are something we'll need to think about. Traditionally we released a new KOF on an annual basis, but whether that fits with the customer's need in the modern age is something we need to figure out."

"(For the future of the KOF series) As a creator I want to make it into something new, but players will have a difficult time if the rules keep on changing so its's something of a headache."

Also, regarding ranked online play:

On a slightly different note, according to this week's Famitsu, ranked match for KOFXIV will have an option for grade skipping for advanced players when they start off. It not only lets them save time from grinding to climb up the ranks, but it also lets new players avoid getting slaughtered.

The way it works, the number of wins in their first 10 matches will advance them to a certain rank as follows:

0 Wins: Entry level
1-2 Wins: Junior rank 5 (5 Kyu)
3-4 Wins: Level 1 (Sho dan)
5-7 Wins: Level 5 (5 dan)
8-10 Wins: Ranked title "Shihandai" (Associate Master)

Note that the Kyu/Dan ranking system is unique to Japan so it'll probably be worded differently for the English release of the game.

CovGpZ1UsAEXK6w.jpg:orig

how did they censor Luong and Angel? Odd camera angles?

Angel's legs are more covered, haven't seen Luong.

HotHamBoy

A patch per year?

That seems very, very odd.

I think it's just poor wording. They obviously mean balance patch. Immediate, pressing issues will be fixed as soon as they can be.

If I'm not mistaken, Samurai Shodown is next on the docket. Fucking HYPE.

Why do you hate him, he's adorable.

New China bros i'm gonna play them,

I already said this somewhere else, but I find his entire design paradoxically absurd AND bland. The "sleepy" gimmick seems really half-assed. And his hair is stupid. And his outfit is stupid. He's a real snooze. *cough*

Neener-neener :p

They say no DLC, which will probably change, and honeslty I do hope we get more characters, like Vanessa, but...

Man. It is so REFRESHING to see a game that is packed to the gills and not laying out some roadmap to nickel and dime the playerbase before the game has even come out. Metered DLC and Season Passes and "games as a service" is so exhausting and cynical when every game is doing it.

And honestly, one SFV is enough.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CoxeMSuVYAAEKOY.jpg:orig

Random aside, I like how the embroidering on Kensou's pants legs actually looks like an embroidery, rather than just a flat texture... and Chin actually has a looped roll of coins on his legs, eh...

Tizoc

Yo sab ca did u finish writing the ot? Cuz i got a cool ot subtitle thought up
|OT| Now it comes, here we go, KOF is here again, party like it's 19-98!

BadWolf

Angel looks so good, great animation and looks like she could be very strong. The animation on her cr. HP is really nice.

The guy kept messing up her chain enders but overall this is the best Angel play yet.

Tbh don't know how the title can be anything other than:

OT| Burning on the Inside! WHOOOO~OOOAH OOOOH OOOH OOOOOH!

Loona

How about something more forward-looking that referencing 98 for the Nth time?...

It might be more interesting to highlight stuff like the amount of characters right out of the box.

KoF XIV |OT| 48 characters plus 2 story bosses - yes, on release

KoF XIV |OT| The crown is Antonov's belt

KoF XIV |OT| You got some Samurai Shodown in my KoF

KoF XIV |OT| We dropped the pachinko but kept the girls

KoF XIV |OT| Welcome to the SNK multiverse?

Relique

Thanks so much for this. I was procrastinating trying to find some on my own. Still can't find any setups with Mai because most things are a soft knockdown.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
For the OT it would be nice if it's a welcoming thread title instead of an obscure reference.
Hopefully we'll get a bunch of new players :3

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Co21mJvVUAEHSPd.jpg:orig

Hm, what's writing an OT? XD

Seriously, anyone have any suggestion for what they want to see in it? I figure there's some good resources that'd be useful (like the Dandy J guide and such) that I wouldn't want to overlook.

Do I need to put notice anywhere to do an OT for a release this size? Generally, I've only put ones up for smaller games like Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds or such, where no one else was really interested.

How about something more forward-looking that referencing 98 for the Nth time?...

It might be more interesting to highlight stuff like the amount of characters right out of the box.

It's funny cuz it's true! I would think about something highlighting the wealth of content myself, too. More characters out the box than you last 2 favorite fighters combined!

The King has Returned, we need not fight in the streets any longer!

Mai and 49 others! - 16 characters? We've got 16 TEAMS! - The Future is Now begin again. -

Really trying to avoid Yuri and Friends references, lol. Though this game does have quite a lot of waifu's.

Angel looks so good, great animation and looks like she could be very strong. The animation on her cr. HP is really nice.

The guy kept messing up her chain enders but overall this is the best Angel play yet.

Not as convincing as the wall that was Ramon, but very nice all the same. I got the feeling that he was playing her like a person who'se mess around a lot with Nelson in the Demo, lol.

Tbh don't know how the title can be anything other than:

OT| Burning on the Inside! WHOOOO~OOOAH OOOOH OOOH OOOOOH!

WE HAVE A WINNA-- going with something well thought of since the first trailers, I also wonder if deflecting the naysayers is a good start for the OT, to pull their jokes before they get a chance.

- Voted Best PS3 Game! - Mash A to Success! - We hop slower so you could keep up! - Forward Compatible with PS4! ;-) -

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
My experience from making the KOFXII and KOFXIII threads:
Dont put too much swag or stuff just because, make it more info focused.
Links to video guides, KOF Station, movesets, etc.

The sad truth is that no one reads 'em after a few pages :(
If you're not in the mood i can make the OT :3

Newboi

KOFXIV on the PC in 4K/120fps would be glorious.

Most, if not all, fighting games are key framed at a specific framerate (mostly 60fps). If the game ran at 120fps, it would just run at twice the speed. You wouldn't get more frames of animation.

BadWolf

Thread title has got to be a dig...

KOF XIV |OT| Buy the game get the characters and stages for free
KOF XIV |OT| XIV is 5 times V
KOF XIV |OT| The Future is Now On The Disc

It really doesn't, forget SF. It has its own OT and weekly hate threads.

Focus on KOF in the thread.

I really hope Joe has a normal that causes opponents to stand up on hit (ala Kyo's cr. HP) because otherwise he is at a pretty big disadvantage with those new kick command normals whiffing on crouchers.

Seriously, anyone have any suggestion for what they want to see in it? I figure there's some good resources that'd be useful (like the Dandy J guide and such) that I wouldn't want to overlook.

DandyJ's guide is essential, also please post the shortcuts and alternate motions for HCB motions, supers etc. (or link to the thread on the dreamcancel forum and their wiki section).

I think Laban mentioned wanting to make tutorial videos as well so it would be nice if those were added later too.

So yeah, a focus on hype and help for new players would be nice :)

WE HAVE A WINNA-- going with something well thought of since the first trailers, I also wonder if deflecting the naysayers is a good start for the OT, to pull their jokes before they get a chance.

- Voted Best PS3 Game! - Mash A to Success! - We hop slower so you could keep up! - Forward Compatible with PS4! ;-) -

C'mon man, if we start pulling jokes then how can we expect others not to do the same instead of taking the game seriously :p

Tizoc

Good lord for someone who writes friggin' ARTICLES for posts can't think up how to write an OT?
Fine I'll write up a draft for you.
I'm too lazy for this ish!

KoF XIV |OT| 48 characters plus 2 story bosses - yes, on release
Story shmory, KoF 02 UM had 60+ characters and it released on Steam for under $20ish and goes ons ale regularly.
People expecting Story from a fighting game, particularly this one, don't really know what they want or going in for.
It's like expecting a story from friggin' Tekken.

KoF XIV |OT| The crown is Antonov's belt

KoF XIV |OT| You got some Samurai Shodown in my KoF

KoF XIV |OT| Welcome to the SNK multiverse?

Eeeeeh
Don't quit your day job kid.

EDIT: For that matter stop praising and hyping the 50 character roster, it's a wonder not many are TURNED OFF by there being a large cast of characters.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
My experience from making the KOFXII and KOFXIII threads:
Dont put too much swag or stuff just because, make it more info focused.
Links to video guides, KOF Station, movesets, etc.

The sad truth is that no one reads 'em after a few pages :(
If you're not in the mood i can make the OT :3

Even if it's for a little while, I do wanna make it feel like a "By the Fans, for the fans!" kinda deal, much like the KI S3 OT. In some way, it should be something of an event itself. Not that I plan to take it THAT far, lol.

Though I definitely agree it shouldn't be TOO much, but I'd like the people that know the resource and collection is there, to continue getting something out of it. I'd love to have a community section, that can be updated with people shared videos, fanarts, event report links, notable player collection for certain characters, etc, just because I think that stuff is actually useful and helps show the strength of the product.

I think I'll actually try here, though thanks for the offer Fersis! I wanna take it as an opportunity to do something that's at least kind of remembered, lol. Especially with this being not just KOF, but an SNK revival too.

Loona, I'm sure you have some kind of history lesson or something you might want to include in it too! ;) I think you could do such a thing justice more than any of us.

Fersis

Even if it's for a little while, I do wanna make it feel like a "By the Fans, for the fans!" kinda deal, much like the KI S3 OT. In some way, it should be something of an event itself. Not that I plan to take it THAT far, lol.

Though I definitely agree it shouldn't be TOO much, but I'd like the people that know the resource and collection is there, to continue getting something out of it. I'd love to have a community section, that can be updated with people shared videos, fanarts, event report links, notable player collection for certain characters, etc, just because I think that stuff is actually useful and helps show the strength of the product.

I think I'll actually try here, though thanks for the offer Fersis! I wanna take it as an opportunity to do something that's at least kind of remembered, lol. Especially with this being not just KOF, but an SNK revival too.

Loona, I'm sure you have some kind of history lesson or something you might want to include in it too! ;) I think you could do such a thing justice more than any of us.

Go for it man!

Loona

Make sure to provide official resources first, like a link to the official site (and if listing characters or teams, provide links to their official team or character pages there), and maybe to the KoF Station videos, since so far they've been good overviews of the characters and well as providing some development info plus gameplay from experienced Japanese players, which can't hurt. The Story trailer is a must too.
If listing characters, perhaps some extra focus on the new cast, like a picture or screenshot (or if available, as with Mian, artbook pictures) - for Xanadu, how could one not post something from his The Wisdom Climax super?...

Only after the official stuff should the fan resources like sites and DandyJ's video be posted IMO.

Do I need to put notice anywhere to do an OT for a release this size? Generally, I've only put ones up for smaller games like Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds or such, where no one else was really interested.

I think there's a topic in Community for that?

And yeah, at this point it's probably best to not even dignify other games by indirectly referencing them, nor help remind naysayers of recurring comments about the graphics from earlier trailers.

KoF XIV |OT| So 50 characters walk into 17 arenas...

KoF XIV |OT| The title of King is shared by 3, not by all 50

KoF XIV |OT| Again legendary men and women return (and bring 17 newcomers too)
(a bit of a Fatal Fury 2 intro nod, considering the history of the development team with that series)

KoF XIV |OT| Not just 17 characters, 17 NEW characters out of 50

shaowebb

KoF XIV |OT| Fireballs? Pff...we got pillows full of bricks

Seriously hyped for Meitenkun. Finding out the longer he charges the pillow toss the stronger it gets has me getting Raiden flashbacks. This gonna be so good.

Loona

In written form it might end up as a bit of a wall of text, depending on the kind of focus you're thinking of... unles it were video, in which case a link would take care of it, but it's not something I have real experience with, although this could be a bit of a motivator...
You mean KoF game series/SNK history, or the KoF story so far?

It really doesn't, forget SF. It has its own OT and weekly hate threads.

You're right of course, but I was just thinking it'd be a little fun like in the old days with Capcom and SNK taking digs at each other. Based on the suggestions i'm not the only one!

KoF XIV |OT| Again legendary men and women return (and bring 17 newcomers too)

But I like this one the most, i love that FF2 intro and it's more than fitting!

BadWolf

Seriously hyped for Meitenkun. Finding out the longer he charges the pillow toss the stronger it gets has me getting Raiden flashbacks. This gonna be so good.

The pillow toss isn't a charge move iirc.

The lunge punch and the anti-air move are charge.

Top Bottom