• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Sora is Everyone... in HD

Played it last night. The game looks gorgeous! The camera is just as terrible as ever and so far the music is nice with no themes jumping out at me as massively different. Wish I had a better sound system, though to appreciate and hear things more clearly. Currently getting owned by the armour boss. It's trickier than later games on the hardest settings just because everything is so severely limited (no Block for starters) but a little grinding will help.

I was also getting a little confused in Traverse Town. I just finished DDD the other day so was navigating it assuming it had the same layout and save spots. And of course, trying to Flowmotion everywhere...

Vashetti

Banned
Ok, playing more of this has me having two requests for Kingdom Hearts 3

A) No more ghost towns. I know this was on PS2, but there's no excuse for PS4. I don't care if you need to fade them out when you go into battle, but there need to be some citizens hanging around for most of these places. Especially Agrabah.

B) Don't make me switch out Goofy or Donald for the 'guest' character. Just give me four characters.

No no no. I never want to see Agrabah again. It's been in SO many of the games.

Ponn

Banned
Dude they can't just leave Aladdin 3 unused. Think of the outrage.

If you wanna go direct to video releases lets go all in with the slew of Tinkerbell movies.

I would like to see them expand out from the same old franchises. Maybe Atlantis, Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles to start.

Jack cw

Got my LE yesterday and played the prologue. The nostalgia was incredible and the game looks and plays fantastic. Camera still a bit janky but I'm still amazed of how good it looks.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Pixar has already infected everything else Disney puts out, games-wise. Outside of Toy Story, I don't want to see a single Pixar world.

Kingdom Hearts is pretty much the only place we get any acknowledgement of the golden age of movies.

Tsunamo

Ok, playing more of this has me having two requests for Kingdom Hearts 3

A) No more ghost towns. I know this was on PS2, but there's no excuse for PS4. I don't care if you need to fade them out when you go into battle, but there need to be some citizens hanging around for most of these places. Especially Agrabah.

B) Don't make me switch out Goofy or Donald for the 'guest' character. Just give me four characters.
There have been ghost towns in every installment sadly. Kingdom Hearts 1 is probably the best offender when it comes to it as there's ton of things interact with and the world doesn't feel as lifeless/dead imo.

I really really hope they do make worlds more populated but I'm not getting my hopes up.

And yeah, that's going to be especially important with 3 and a bunch of characters having keyblades. Another way they could do that though is just do multiple scenerios with different characters in each ones party.
Hm... replaying this game truly highlights how shitty and unoriginal BbS's story is. It's almost like they took this game's script and copied it to BbS. In fact, I think people over rate KH1's story. I'd wager that Kingdom Hearts 2 has the better story, in fact. Hmm... I'll have to make a mega post about this in the KH OT.
I'm not sure if I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoy Kingdom Hearts 1 for its simple story and it feeling like a fun adventure. The pacing of the story feels perfect to me and I love it, it's a timeless adventure that I can play again and again.

I did like II for revisiting worlds and doing extra stuff in their worlds a second time, but it never really sat well with me like the original did in terms of pacing.

Birth By Sleep I also really enjoyed and it got me hyped up for the next installment and mysterys being solved......
Then DDD happened

Carbonox

Pixar has already infected everything else Disney puts out, games-wise. Outside of Toy Story, I don't want to see a single Pixar world.

Kingdom Hearts is pretty much the only place we get any acknowledgement of the golden age of movies.

but but but but dont you want to see a cars world where sora and co have been transformed in to race car versions of themselves?

I agree for the most part though. Pixar worlds (as in the environments) are interesting but their casts and storylines don't suit something like Kingdom Hearts where there - like in the old Disney films - are clear good/evil factions (with obvious heroes and villains) with stories easy to fit in to a game focusing on these aspects.

Something like The Incredibles would be fine though. One of the only examples off the top of my head though.

Mine came yesterday from shopto but I missed the postman and chose the signed for option...so I gotta trek to the post office today to get it.

Does anyone remember how long it took to complete the first game as not sure if il have time to complete it before GTA

Mine came yesterday from shopto but I missed the postman and chose the signed for option...so I gotta trek to the post office today to get it.

Does anyone remember how long it took to complete the first game as not sure if il have time to complete it before GTA

Took me 27 hours the very first time it came out. Much less if you go for the Beginner and skip a bunch of stuff.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I can't stand this anymore... I NEED THIS GAME. 24 MORE HOURS!!!!!

edit: I just hope this game won't frustrate me enough to break a controller or two :3...

edit 2: this was 30fps right?

Holmes

This game is a lot shorter than I remember. Maybe because as a kid, I would spend a lot of time in every world marvelling and taking it all in, and now that I know it all by heart, it's not so long.

Bladenic

This game is a lot shorter than I remember. Maybe because as a kid, I would spend a lot of time in every world marvelling and taking it all in, and now that I know it all by heart, it's not so long.

Yeah it's pretty short. I also remembered it being longer when I was young. At least it's paced well. Some worlds were really short though, like Neverland.

No no no. I never want to see Agrabah again. It's been in SO many of the games.

It's the best of the Disney worlds in the first game, though (the main town area opens up more and more as you get more movement/traversal abilities, and the Cave of Wonders feels genuinely dungeon-y in a nice, familiar way). But yeah Agrabah in KH2 isn't really anything special.

Dude they can't just leave Aladdin 3 unused. Think of the outrage.

Aladdin and the King of Thieves is so much better than Return of Jafar. It's actually an extremely goddamn good adventure movie like the first one. I'd honestly be totally down for seeing it in KH.

Samyy

So playing through Kingdom Hearts 1 for the first time, thought I would post my impressions.

Played the first hour of the game so far, it starts off pretty slow. There is also something janky about the controls, they are not that smooth but its a PS2 game so I'll give it a pass. Hopefully it picks up soon, haven't "left" the island yet, just finished gathering the second set of supplies.

jrush64

Banned
Got my copy from banned site. 8 years ago, I thought my first PS3 kingdom hearts game would be Kingdom Hearts 3.... ah well.

13+-+2

If you don't count the assorted mandatory KH1 rehashes in Chain of Memories, Agrabah has been used three times (KH1, KH2, 358/2 Days).

That's as much as Halloween Town, and *less* than Olympus Coliseum (which appears in every single game except for Dream Drop Distance).

I wouldn't call it too terribly overused, but I wouldn't mind more new worlds, of course.

Ath

Damn, I'm rubbish at this game. In Wonderland and I'm getting my arse kicked by Trickmaster. As soon as it goes to the stove and sets its baton on fire, I just cant hit it. Donald and Goofy are usually long KO'd by then too. I'll take a break and try again later.

If you don't count the assorted mandatory KH1 rehashes in Chain of Memories, Agrabah has been used three times (KH1, KH2, 358/2 Days).

That's as much as Halloween Town, and *less* than Olympus Coliseum (which appears in every single game except for Dream Drop Distance).

I wouldn't call it too terribly overused, but I wouldn't mind more new worlds, of course.

As long as they get their act together with the Coliseum and make it more like KH1 I am perfectly fine with it appearing again. Way more happy with that than stuff like Mirage Arena or something. It's tradition at this point :lol.

One of the best songs of the series. Certainly one of the most iconic. KH2 orchestral theme is great too but they literally used it ONCE with the menu trailer of KH2 if you idle on the main menu. Outside of that AFAIK they never have used it. The KH1 orchestral theme they have used a bunch of times in different trailers and even DDD opening so it kinda even has the status of a theme of the whole series.

Long wait till tomorrow. If it doesn't arrive tomorrow I'll pay the post office a friendly visit.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Got my copy from banned site. 8 years ago, I thought my first PS3 kingdom hearts game would be Kingdom Hearts 3.... ah well.

13+-+2
That's quite sad actually :( Shit...
Damn, I'm rubbish at this game. In Wonderland and I'm getting my arse kicked by Trickmaster. As soon as it goes to the stove and sets its baton on fire, I just cant hit it. Donald and Goofy are usually long KO'd by then too. I'll take a break and try again later.
What difficulty? Sword/staff/shield?

As long as they get their act together with the Coliseum and make it more like KH1 I am perfectly fine with it appearing again. Way more happy with that than stuff like Mirage Arena or something.

Yeah, KH1's Coliseum is still the best version of that idea. Great prizes, multiple ways to play the cups (with more rewards for doing so), plenty of experience, multiple great boss fights.

That the KH2 Paradox Cups give you no in-game rewards at all for completing them is ridiculous, especially the hard-as-shit Hades Paradox Cup.

Also, I can't remember, but isn't it true that either the KH2 tournaments or the BBS tournaments don't let you gain experience for battles fought?

Yeah, KH1's Coliseum is still the best version of that idea.

That the KH2 Paradox Cups give you no in-game rewards at all for completing them is ridiculous.

Also, I can't remember, but isn't it true that either the KH2 tournaments or the BBS tournaments don't let you gain experience for battles fought?

KH2 doesn't give. I still ain't sure what the point is of those orbs.

I had the same issue with staff and shield, dusk levelling. What I did was hit him until he got his flame on, then hid around the side of the fireplace away from him. When he lost his flame and goes back for more I'd run up behind him and give him a few wacks. Takes a while but it worked.

Ath

Total newbie to KH, so I'm playing on normal with staff, though looking at a chart for the questions at the beginning it seems I ended up picking Dusk!

No worries, I'm unwinding with some Grandia now, afterwards I'll give it another shot.

Holmes

I heard you can extinguish the fire above the stove with blizzard so Trickmaster doesn't light up his batons, but I had already defeated him when I heard about it so I dunno how useful it is.

KH2 doesn't give. I still ain't sure what the point is of those orbs.

This is reminding me just how much I hated vanilla KH2.

Yeah, the lack of experience (and just getting 'points' for minigames) is deeply annoying.

Kingdom Hearts II is filled with tons of minigames that you have to complete for journal completion and which give you NO REWARDS WHATSOEVER for doing them. Especially redoing all of Roxas' summer-job minigames and skateboarding all over the different worlds for absolutely nothing of value. At least give Sora some synthesis materials or AP Ups, goddamn.

Any of UK GAF got their copy early by Amazon today? Some sort of hope as opposed to waiting for tomorrow cos of dat hype?

They've been doing free first class lately so I'm hoping I'm a lucky lucky boy.

No, but I got a message saying it's been shipped out.

I've got Prime, though, so they tend to send it out the day before.

Caladrius

Is this remidied in Final Mix?

FMII still doesn't give you rewards for most of the minigames, but the super not-secret ending only requires you to beat the Lingering Will, all the Data battles and all 13 mushrooms. On critical. A complete journal is still required on Proud.

I said "screw that noise" and just muscled through the bosses.

fizzgigg

Banned

I agree anything new generation I feel will be a bit too much.

Old Star Wars stuff ok, more old school Disney stuff yes who cares if this generation kids cant relate KH is not for them its for us KH players that grew up loving the game.

If I'm lucky, my copy gets here tomorrow.

It's been sooooooooo long though.

Most people going with Staff and leaving Shield behind is that it?
Or is it Staff and Sword?

If I'm lucky, my copy gets here tomorrow.

It's been sooooooooo long though.

Most people going with Staff and leaving Shield behind is that it?
Or is it Staff and Sword?

You can manage taking the Staff since it gives +2 extra MP, but whatever you do DO NOT get rid of the Shield on Proud.

Personally, I prefer to take the Shield since it gives much better abilities much earlier.

Is this remidied in Final Mix?

Final Mix adds a lot of great and rewarding new stuff, but it doesn't fix the existing unrewarding shitty stuff. As far as new content (i.e. new stuff to play, not stuff like Limit Form) it basically tacks on a bunch of new boss fights, some fantastic postgame stuff and the Crown Puzzle, but the stuff that vanilla KH2 half-assed remains half-assed. Doesn't matter, because KH2FM is still fantastic with all of the new additions.

Seda

So playing through Kingdom Hearts 1 for the first time, thought I would post my impressions.

Played the first hour of the game so far, it starts off pretty slow. There is also something janky about the controls, they are not that smooth but its a PS2 game so I'll give it a pass. Hopefully it picks up soon, haven't "left" the island yet, just finished gathering the second set of supplies.

I have played through the game before (several times) but yeah it took me until Traverse Town to readjust to the controls. You are still in the tutorial area, basically.

I have played through the game before (several times) but yeah it took me until Traverse Town to readjust to the controls. You are still in the tutorial area, basically.

It doesn't help that the camera controls freeze when you're climbing trees and that happens a bunch on Destiny Islands. The camera gets easier to play with later on, IMO, but you mostly have to get used to using lock-on and right-stick clicks to redirect it and recenter it - the stick controls for when you need them are great but the game's still a little bit primitive for great two-stick character/camera control to be a thing.

also

Banned

Agrabah was also in Re:Coded.

Wiz

Proud mode, got my ass handed to me by the first boss several times before I won lol. This is a great sign of things to come.

Top Bottom