• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Sora is Everyone... in HD

My copy arrived a day early and boy the game's a beauty. So glad I'll finally be able to play ReCoM. I imported it back in the day but I never bothered to mod my ps2 for it.

Anyway, I started with the first game on proud and Guard Armor is wrecking me. I guess I'll have to grind. >.>

Early bosses in Proud Mode will kill you in three hits max. Hope you stocked up on Potions.

Also, mages in the coliseum preliminaries will be the bane of your existence.

Mokubba

Amazon canceled my limited edition pre-order and then dispatched the normal one. I didn't even get a chance to cancel it. hopefully shopto haven't ran out of stock.

I blame them fornot having proper pics of the limited edition.

Anival

Banned
Early bosses in Proud Mode will kill you in three hits max. Hope you stocked up on Potions.

I hate those, I barely even got by in the preliminaries. Also is it me but why does Donald suck all of a sudden? I never had a problem with him before and I set him to defensive but he still just wastes his mp with elemental magic.

I noticed he always tries to use them evenly in that case. You'll get cases of Slide Dash > Attack > Slap Shot > Attack > Slap Shot. Or Vortex > Slap Shot > Attack > Slap Shot.

KH2 was the same, you'd get Slide Dash > Round Break > Flash Step > Dodge Slash > Slap Shot

Yep. Basically, equip them all and combat will be more fun to watch and you can generally trust that they'll be pretty appropriate to the situation, IMO.

I hate those, I barely even got by in the preliminaries. Also is it me but why does Donald suck all of a sudden? I never had a problem with him before and I set him to defensive but he still just wastes his mp with elemental magic.

That's why I switch him out with another Disney character whenever I get the chance lol

Joqu

I actually hadn't stocked up on Potions, I was hoping Donald would do a good enough job with healing me for now. Yeah... That didn't happen.
Still, I'm quite surprised I'm having this much trouble with him. Final Mix's Proud Mode is hard.

Man I knew I would regret getting the regular edition. The local stores here were sold out when I wanted to pre-order it and I didn't feel like getting one online, postage here is always such a hassle. I guess I'll have to waste money on that later. :(

Early in the game on harder difficulties, you can expect Donald to die all the time. That's just how it is. He's still way more useful than Goofy in the endgame with his Thundaga spamming.

...#teamstaff

I did +staff -shield on Proud mode because I fucking *love* playing games where I can kill enemies quickly but also die in a heartbeat if I'm not careful. I recommend +staff -sword or +shield -sword for most folks though.

Caode

To my shame I've never played any of the Kingdom Hearts series, but it's one of those that I've always wanted to play but it's just eluded me. 1.5 HD Remix is so temping though, I might pick it up with GTA on Monday night... although it could be some time before I get stuck in to it because of GTA.

What's the verdict on the HD remaster?

Nudull

Banned
I did +staff -shield on Proud mode because I fucking *love* playing games where I can kill enemies quickly but also die in a heartbeat if I'm not careful. I recommend +staff -sword or +shield -sword for most folks though.

+staff, -sword on my first Final Mix playthrough. I'm used to balanced stats.

Man, I love this game but the camera makes me want to rage. I'm not even having a hard time with any of the fights, but it's just so frustrating trying to get a good angle on the action.

To my shame I've never played any of the Kingdom Hearts series, but it's one of those that I've always wanted to play but it's just eluded me. 1.5 HD Remix is so temping though, I might pick it up with GTA on Monday night... although it could be some time before I get stuck in to it because of GTA.

What's the verdict on the HD remaster?

The games look incredible. The camera is still pretty wonky, but it only slightly detracts from the experience. I went in expectingit to feel dated, but it holds up extremely well. That's in part due to the stagnance of JRPGs and in part due to just how great Kingdom Hearts is. If you don't look too closely, you could probably convince anyone that didn't know better that this is a brand new game and not an HD Remaster.

Caode

The games look incredible. The camera is still pretty wonky, but it only slightly detracts from the experience. I went in expectingit to feel dated, but it holds up extremely well. That's in part due to the stagnance of JRPGs and in part due to just how great Kingdom Hearts is. If you don't look too closely, you could probably convince anyone that didn't know better that this is a brand new game and not an HD Remaster.

Excellent! Thanks for the info, I'll more than likely be picking this up now on Monday night along with that other small game coming out. I know Kingdom Hearts 3 is years away but I want to get in among the franchise now, sooner rather than later or else I'll never play the originals.

Chose sword, sacrificed staff

Fuck magic. I'm the warrior with invincible courage that can bring terrible destruction, weeenies

Man this game looks so good in HD. I really missed Sora' s old voice. And right stick camera omg.

Proud mode is no joke. Feels a lot harder than expert in vanilla KH.

Voror

Well, still trying to beat Tidus, Wakka, and Selphie. Always end up with Wakka last, but he always manages to get me. Only good thing I can say about this fight is that you can get quite a bit of exp from techs.

Mononoke

Banned
Torn on which item to choose. Finally got some time to play this. I've heard that Strength can be raised with items. So Staff and Shields benefits are more substantial. Learning towards..staff.

iGeodude

Well, still trying to beat Tidus, Wakka, and Selphie. Always end up with Wakka last, but he always manages to get me. Only good thing I can say about this fight is that you can get quite a bit of exp from techs.

Yep, I got to LV 7 before leaving Destiny Islands due to tech spamming Wakka and Tidus. Actually with Tidus it's pretty easy to do an tech loop with him.

Iceblade

So should I go with Proud mode? I hear it's really hard, but I want to unlock as much stuff as I can. If it's too frustrating or grindy though I don't want to bother.

Eff the haters, Atlantica's one of my favorite KH1 worlds.

(Though yeah, the controls are really clunky. Ooozes Disney charm through and through, though.)

McNum

I like Atlantica as well.
Ariel is probably a bit unique in that she's as far as I remember, the best specialized party member for a world. She's all about underwater combat, and that's exactly what you need in that level. Also, she's cute. Never a bad thing.

Is Ariel still good in Final Mix? I seem to remember her having a corkscrew spin that was rather effective.

So should I go with Proud mode? I hear it's really hard, but I want to unlock as much stuff as I can. If it's too frustrating or grindy though I don't want to bother.

There's a pretty steep curve at the first few worlds, but when you get cure, dodge roll, aero, and guard it becomes much more manageable. It also keeps the game from being a mash x to win.

Nudull

Banned

Totally forgot I could do this. XD
Still got up to Lv. 7 early by grinding a few Heartless before leaving the Destiny Islands, so no huge loss.

Silvawuff

Restarted Proud with +Shield -Sword. I think it was a solid choice.

This game is fantastic. Oh the nostalgia. 2.5 HD can't come fast enough. I think KHIIFM has a lot more to punish us with.

Ariel is probably a bit unique in that she's as far as I remember, the best specialized party member for a world. She's all about underwater combat, and that's exactly what you need in that level. Also, she's cute. Never a bad thing.

Is Ariel still good in Final Mix? I seem to remember her having a corkscrew spin that was rather effective.
I'm trying to remember: are there any Trinity spots in Atlantica? There are a couple, right?

Ariel's one of the best world specific pary members. That spinning drill-like attack she does is great for keeping enemies stun locked.

I'm trying to remember: are there any Trinity spots in Atlantica? There are a couple, right?

There's a white one in the area just before heading to Triton's throne room.

Top Bottom