• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Sora is Everyone... in HD

Seda

I have a question, and this goes to all of the games (assume Final Mix if a Final Mix version exists). How hard are the games on all of their hardest settings? One of the reasons I've not really given the series a chance after KH II was because of how upsettingly easy it was. It was Dynasty Warriors with Disney, and I know the first game was less easy, but I figure I would try to play all of the games on their mundo hard modes. How do the games hold up then?

Here are some quotes from the thread, mostly from the early game of course.
To be honest, I'm appreciating the slightly upped difficulty more than the upped graphics or other Final Mix additions.

Wakka OP.

Proud mode is going to kick my ass if I can't even scrape by Wakka

FINALLY.

Proud can be pretty challenging. The enemies are aggressive and they hurt quite a bit. I've been killed a few times because I didn't heal at slightly under half hp. I just revisited Traverse Town after finish 2 worlds and those flying heartless there can kill me in 2-3 hits. For the few bosses I've fought against, they had at least one attack that would damage me for more than half of my health.

Holy shit the 3 on 1 fight. As if I needed more examples on how modern gaming has ruined my skills. I didn't even last 15 seconds lol.

My 13 year old self is laughing at me right now.

Ugh, am I a little rusty or is Leon tougher? I seem to remember being able to beat him just fine in the vanilla version.

Me 2. I got wrecked by that boss that used to be purple. Took like 10 trys to beat him. I could only get hit once. 2 hits and your dead.

Proud Mode Guard Armor kicked my ass, jeez

Man, I wish the rest of the series retained the Disney-esque slapstick humor KH1 had..

Went staff for the first time.

Can't even beat Riku in the 1-on-1 fight on the starting island T__T

I know, I'm absolutely terrible.

Trickmaster or w/e (The Wonderland boss) is the worst. Good Lord few games can make me rage like KH on highest difficulty.

I'm getting my ass beat by Trickmaster. I dont remember him being this hard.

Trickmaster is very difficult on Proud Mode. Proud Mode is not the Expert Mode that you remember :D

Ursula is pissing me off. Actually, the whole Atlantica level pisses me off. I forgot horrible it was.

Fuck proud mode is actually hard now. Cerberus was kicking my ass for awhile then I figure his easy pattern.

I lost to Leon...

Guard armor is rocking me on proud mode. Some of his attacks seem inescapable.

Took me a few tries, but I managed to solo Yuffie + Leon. Proud mode is really making me work for these wins.

This game is still as hard as I remember it being. Maybe I'm just really bad at playing games. I still have a hard time beating Riku in Destiny Island at the beginning part of the game. I know it's not required to beat him, but I can't move on unless I win at least once. It so much easier to beat Selphie, Tidus and Waka at the same time.

...How the hell are you supposed to beat the pink slingshot monkeys in Traverse town? I'm pretty much stun locked the entire time.

I started playing last night and got up to Traverse Town on Proud Mode. I feel like I'm going to regret that when I get to the Tarzan world.

Started on Proud Mode and spent two hours struggling to beat up some children.

Yup, it took me 3 times to beat Wakka in FINAL MIX. Sad. I used to be so good at this game in my early 20's. I'm getting old.

Man, Stealth Sneak always gives me problem. Literally the only thing standing between me and Cure right now.

I'm getting my ass kicked left right and center...Donald and Goofy are just punching bags and don't survive more then 2 hits from a boss and blow all their spells the second any fight starts despite my settings...

and man the more I play 1 the more I miss 2. You are SO mobile in 2, yet these damn monkeys are juking and avoiding me with simple sidesteps and all i can do is walk up and swing at them! MONKEYS!!!!!!

This gummi ship stuff is torturous, I would buy a game made out of KH2's gummi ship sections. Still loving this game though.

Holy fuck, is this game supposed to be this hard? Cerberus took like half an hour and I'm having issues with the Tarzan villain despite wailing the fuck on him. Like what the fuck. I grinded the hell out of this game too.

I was on Normal as well and yet Cerberus makes you go 'wait am I supposed to be fighting him?' because you have to fight him before Cure and before Donald gets MP Haste. The only way to beat him is pretty much let him do his melee attack hit him once then run off then repeat then just roll the fuck out of the place when he does any other attacks.

It's a huge spike in the difficulty.

Aside from Ni No Kuni, I think it might have been Persona 3. IF you don't count Yakuza as RPGs(I do)

Fuck you Yuffie. Stop healing yourself.

Can't beat this pot thing...

Damn, I'm rubbish at this game. In Wonderland and I'm getting my arse kicked by Trickmaster. As soon as it goes to the stove and sets its baton on fire, I just cant hit it. Donald and Goofy are usually long KO'd by then too. I'll take a break and try again later.

Proud mode, got my ass handed to me by the first boss several times before I won lol. This is a great sign of things to come.

Okay, how do I beat Tidus, Selphie, and Wakka at the same time? I've tried working on one, but the other two just get in the way every time.

I beat Riku already. Took me 8 tries.

Fuck Ursula

Beat solo Hercules cup! Cloud and Herc are push overs, but those damn mobs of heartless are scary. Getting randomly killed out of nowhere when I'm trying to focus on just killing one of them is annoying. It was always something random that messed me up like Aero running out right before I get hit by a charging ship off screen or a projectile flying behind me.

To be honest, I'm appreciating the slightly upped difficulty more than the upped graphics or other Final Mix additions.

I bet none of these smucks even has the Exp 0 equipped!

I think I'll leave that for another time myself :lol

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The second part of the Ursula boss fight is pretty much the lowest low of the game. The camera doesn't work, the movement doens't work, everything's all over the place. It's a really, REALLY bad boss fight.

After 10 years, why did it take me so long to realise that the triangle button causes Donald and goofy to get angry and go after my target.

How did I miss this?????

After 10 years, why did it take me so long to realise that the triangle button causes Donald and goofy to get angry and go after my target.

How did I miss this?????
That is how I cheesed Ursula 2 back in the day. Never layed a finger on her myself.

Always found her to be the hardest boss in the game.

Need to pick the game up ASAP, played and loved both to death on the ps2 years and years ago. Hopefully they give KH 2 the HD treatment some time in the future.

MilkBeard

Hilariously enough, this is technically my first playthrough of the game and I'm doing Proud. I've died several times on boss battles, but other than that, the difficulty is really only about figuring out the patterns, and then once you have those memorized, it becomes doable.
I just went through Deep Jungle and it was a breeze actually, easiest fights in the game so far, by far. Not sure the order that people are doing them, but I did it after the Coliseum which was a bit harder IMO, but nothing too crazy. It took me a couple of tries to get through the battles, and then I beat Cerberus on my second try.

So far I'm digging Proud mode. But now, having roll and guard is probably going to make things easier.

Hilariously enough, this is technically my first playthrough of the game and I'm doing Proud. I've died several times on boss battles, but other than that, the difficulty is really only about figuring out the patterns, and then once you have those memorized, it becomes doable.
I just went through Deep Jungle and it was a breeze actually, easiest fights in the game so far, by far. Not sure the order that people are doing them, but I did it after the Coliseum which was a bit harder IMO, but nothing too crazy. It took me a couple of tries to get through the battles, and then I beat Cerberus on my second try.

So far I'm digging Proud mode. But now, having roll and guard is probably going to make things easier.

LOL Wait till the spike. Its always the difficulty spike that gets everyone.

MilkBeard

LOL Wait till the spike. Its always the difficulty spike that gets everyone.

Where's the spike? Ha ha, guess I'll find out. Bring it on.

I feel like anyone that's played Demons/Dark Souls is well equipped to play through Proud mode in this game. There's still nothing in this game yet that I've encountered like I encountered in Dark Souls for the first time, ha ha.

R.I.P

Finally getting the game today can't wait :)

This will be my first time playing the original Kingdom Hearts and I was initially thinking about starting it on proud mode and from the comments here it seems pretty challenging. The only game in the series I've played before is BBS and I did that on proud and felt it was the perfect level of challenge. Is Final mix proud mode comparable to that difficulty wise or would I be better off starting on normal for my first playthrough?

This will be my first time playing the original Kingdom Hearts and I was initially thinking about starting it on proud mode and from the comments here it seems pretty challenging. The only game in the series I've played before is BBS and I did that on proud and felt it was the perfect level of challenge. Is Final mix proud mode comparable to that difficulty wise or would I be better off starting on normal for my first playthrough?

If you played BBS on Proud then Proud KH HD should be good for you. :)

MilkBeard

It's a good challenge if you like good challenges, just be prepared to die several times on most boss battles before you figure out how to beat them.

BHK3

Banned
Proud Mode + Staff - Shield + Night leveling = early game pain train

Worst decision of my life. 2nd chance at like level 485 and only just now got guard, that pot scorpion in agrabah was not friendly without guard...

Got to atlantica, beat monstro today, i'll pick it back up tomorrow, I read up on the gummi ship stuff and it really bummed me out. I hate hate HATE this gummi system and customizing it is just confusing.

Also completely forgot about the item shop and buffed up goofy and donald, still dumb as bricks and die a lot but now the spells and attacks are hitting way harder. Wish I could just bring tarzan everywhere *in group with him, 6 monkeys spawn, HHEEEEEYYYYAAAAA Spins the spear around and they all die in 1 hit, repeat every fight.*

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sora and Pooh are my BroTP in video games
tumblr_mgub38dqT01qfcpbeo1_500.png

God the 100 Acre Woods stuff is so good. It's not even anything fun gameplay-wise, but it's just such a relaxing thing to go to after nearly breaking a controller on Ursula.

I wanted to ragge quit at Ursala. It took me 3 tries. The controls are just so absolutely terrible. Sora just kind of goes everywhere except where you want him to.

I can't even beat first Ursula; Donald and Goofy are terribly useless.

I used Ariel instead of Donald and spammed thuner at the cauldron. Attack the eels to get magic back. Don't attack Ursala until you stun her from damaging the cauldron. When she does her spinning move focus on avoiding it. Despite your best efforts you will get hit so equip some potions.

Banzai

for those that played the final mix before the HD collection, is the game harder now than it was then? I finished the final mix back in the day on proud (or critical? was there a critical? dont remember) and dont remember any bosses that gave me any particular trouble.

although, i do recall losing to trickmaster once, which was a first. but dragon maleficent was a bitch as always and noone can say riku 3 is easy, i suppose.

edit: oh right ursula 2 was annoying because she didnt leave a lot of openings, but that made the battle long, not hard imo.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I used Ariel instead of Donald and spammed thuner at the cauldron. Attack the eels to get magic back. Don't attack Ursala until you stun her from damaging the cauldron. When she does her spinning move focus on avoiding it. Despite your best efforts you will get hit so equip some potions.
Beat it on my second retry by just switching Donald out and finally using 2 ethers.
I hate using items...

DeVeAn

Grabbed a copy of this, got home fired it up and sound just started skipping. Had to deal with it until a save point. Restarted and it went back to normal. Anyone else having a similar issue? I need to know if I have to return it for another copy or if its a shit port job.

MilkBeard

Worst decision of my life. 2nd chance at like level 485 and only just now got guard, that pot scorpion in agrabah was not friendly without guard...

Got to atlantica, beat monstro today, i'll pick it back up tomorrow, I read up on the gummi ship stuff and it really bummed me out. I hate hate HATE this gummi system and customizing it is just confusing.

Also completely forgot about the item shop and buffed up goofy and donald, still dumb as bricks and die a lot but now the spells and attacks are hitting way harder. Wish I could just bring tarzan everywhere *in group with him, 6 monkeys spawn, HHEEEEEYYYYAAAAA Spins the spear around and they all die in 1 hit, repeat every fight.*

Yeah, I happened to chose the Shield and Staff, therefor, Donald is just a piece of crap most of the time and he always dies. I gave him some good defense items though so that helped a little bit.

MilkBeard

Grabbed a copy of this, got home fired it up and sound just started skipping. Had to deal with it until a save point. Restarted and it went back to normal. Anyone else having a similar issue? I need to know if I have to return it for another copy or if its a shit port job.

exchange it. Not having a problem here.

Seda

Beat it on my second retry by just switching Donald out and finally using 2 ethers.
I hate using items...

Regular potions and ethers I have no hesitation in using because around mid-game there are dozens gathering dust in stock. I'm still a stickler on hi- or mega- items though.

How do you get more guns and other good stuff for your Gummi ship?

In chests or Cid's shop. You can get armor/wing pieces when destroying other heartless gummi ships.

The western version seems to have audio problems for some. Try defaulting the PS3 audio settings and setting that up again. If that doesn't work force it to stereo sound. That helps with some people.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
IT'S HAPPENING TODAY

LESS THAN 12 HOURS

HYPE!

MilkBeard

Gonna stop for the night at Atlantes. Will finish it and Neverland tomorrow. Then to Hollow Bastion and the difficulty spike.

Ah, so Hollow Bastion is the difficulty spike. I'm gonna keep that in mind until I get there, so I won't skimp on fighting and increasing levels.

Alright guys, be straight with me:

How much of a pain in the ass are the gummi ship trophies? I want to go for the plat but if that means playing a huge amount of gummi ship levels I'm not doing it.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Damn, Ursula 2 was easy as turtles, but annoyingly long.
Donald and Goofy were sitting ducks with that lightning.

Alright guys, be straight with me:

How much of a pain in the ass are the gummi ship trophies? I want to go for the plat but if that means playing a huge amount of gummi ship levels I'm not doing it.
AFAIK they ain't that bad in Beginner mode at least.

Doing them on proud apparently can be pretty bad.

Top Bottom