• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I got it, now I just have to finish my final final D:

hamchan

If its possible it would be best to play KH1, 2 and BBS. They are the 3 main games before this one and most important to the plot. Also they are the best ones along with this.

I'd add Chain of Memories too. Plot wise it's very important since Sora goes through a heck of a lot in that game, and half of Organization XIII is in it too.

I'd add Chain of Memories too. Plot wise it's very important since Sora goes through a heck of a lot in that game, and half of Organization XIII is in it too.

Depends how you look at it. I still think you can pretty much cut out all the CoM and Organisation XIII parts of the plot and you wouldn't really be missing a lot. To me they only exist to serve the games they appear in.

Depending on what happens in 3 of course. They could pretty much mention none of it and just have you beating a bad guy with the same old characters from KH1.

SoulUnison

Banned
Yeah, you randomly obtain one of those three the first time you scan it. I got Sudo Neku as well.

I was hoping for Meowjesty, but that was before I realized that Sudeo Neku is exactly what it says - Psuedo Neku! It's one of the lizard Dream Eaters cosplaying as Neku! After I got that, and named it "Fakeuraba," I couldn't *not* have it in my party.

Is it just me or are Rikus style changes when linking with spirits kinda sucky compared to BBS? Or Soras link attacks.

Yeah, BBS Command Styles had much more "deliberate" attacks to them. I really felt like I was in control of the character even though they were all hyped up. Riku's Link Styles feel really...disconnected. Like, you can't really time or aim attacks, you just sort of Lock On and get near your target or get in the middle of a crowd and let him go wild. Definitely liked the BBS style/feel more.

Also, I really miss the Command GAUGE portion of the Command Menu. Finishers, man - they were important and awesome.

Sigmaah

Should I get this game guys? I've played almost all KH games and love the KH series, so I'm assuming since I love KH, I should get it? Haha.

Seda

Can we avoid naming the worlds please, guys?

I was absolutely in the dark on this until this page :(

I don't mean to be...mean, but this thread, like most OTs on GAF, assumes everybody is familiar with material posted in pre-release media. If you wanted to play this game on a pure blackout (which I do from time to time), you'd better include the OT as a part of the blackout.

Seda

I actually always wanted them to keep some worlds or FF cameos a secret but they reveal friggin everything :(.

I've actually stayed free of overall story spoilers for this game (although the trailers do seem to give away what happens in the end) up to this point and that's enough for me for this game.

I might do a full blackout on KH3.....yeah right.

I've actually stayed free of overall story spoilers for this game (although the trailers do seem to give away what happens in the end) up to this point and that's enough for me for this game.

I only watched the first 2 trailers for this game so I'm relatively safe :).

But even though you watch the trailers you had any surprises in the game?

Seda

But even you watched the trailers you had any surprises in the game?

I can't play it until the XL comes out.

So I don't know. :/ All I know is what the trailers show. It seems like the trailers (mainly the ten minute one) reveals most of the plot points but obviously I can't tell until I play it.

I can't play it until the XL comes out.

So I don't know. :/ All I know is what the trailers show. Which seems like most of the plot points but obviously I can't tell until I play it.

Oh, I see. Well, I hope the game still got many surprises for you.

I hope 3DS region lock gets cracked in time for Final Mix :d. Tho I might skip this one if there is no translation project or the bonus content is minimal.

Seda

Finally worked. Had to put it inside the border.

Also, I guess random cards per copy of the game? I only have the seal from the previous page. I have one card with a picture of multiple Spirits.

The pre-order (first shipment?) card bonus is the R&R Seal, 360 viewing stand, and a randomly chosen Spirit (either Sudo Neku, Meowjesty, or Orca Circus)

Seda

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know OT were obligated to reveal pre-release material but it makes some sense i guess.

Well, not obligated. I just figured if I didn't put the worlds in the OP, a bunch of people would ask anyway and making sure everybody spoiler tagged mentions of the Disney worlds would be difficult. I decided it wasn't worth trying to keep them a secret. (considering they are in the trailers and whatnot) There is one world I left out of the OP and this thread has done a pretty good job keeping that a secret.

But I really do agree with your notion that there is a good deal of excitement if you are indeed successful in not spoiling yourself on the worlds. You get to that point were you are like: wow I'm going to Toy Story world! Awesome!

*note Toy Story world is not actually a thing.

Just finished Traverse Town as Riku (but I haven't beaten the boss for Sora's story yet). Riku definitely gets a much easier boss fight there. The end of Riku's section there definitely has me intrigued for what will happen next.

And now, finally running around in a Hunchback world in a Kingdom Hearts game. It only took 10 years and seven games!

I have to say, though, that this Dive shit is ridiculous. Nomura, nobody fucking liked the Gummi Ship stuff, so why go back to something like that after Birth by Sleep just let us... *gasp* go to the worlds without doing any mini game nonsense? This feels like a big step backwards after BBS.

abrack08

Big KH fan, kinda disappointed so far. I just beat TT with Sora and Riku, but it hasn't really grabbed me yet. Obviously I'm giving it more time so don't jump on me. Story seems especially face-palmy/nonsense-y (or maybe it's just because I'm older) and the camera is baaaaaaaad.

Just finished Traverse Town as Riku (but I haven't beaten the boss for Sora's story yet). Riku definitely gets a much easier boss fight there. The end of Riku's section there definitely has me intrigued for what will happen next.

And now, finally running around in a Hunchback world in a Kingdom Hearts game. It only took 10 years and seven games!

I have to say, though, that this Dive shit is ridiculous. Nomura, nobody fucking liked the Gummi Ship stuff, so why go back to something like that after Birth by Sleep just let us... *gasp* go to the worlds without doing any mini game nonsense? This feels like a big step backwards after BBS.

I rather liked the Dives. They're not as boring and drawn out as the Gummi Ship stages, and are at least rather nice to look at (especially in 3D.) It's pretty obviously there to pad out the game length, though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Weird, I thought Lightning was in this game. :0

Like, I swear I saw a KH-render of her and everything, but apparently...she's not?

EDIT: Also, the Dives remind me so much of Kid Icarus Uprising.

Seda

Weird, I thought Lightning was in this game. :0

Like, I swear I saw a KH-render of her and everything, but apparently...she's not?

EDIT: Also, the Dives remind me so much of Kid Icarus Uprising.

This one?

kingdom-hearts-3d-doesnt-need-lightning.jpg

(first pic I could find)

I forget the whole story, but yeah, a fake.

Took my sweet time with everything and beat TT with Sora finally. Really enjoying this game so far.

I've only played KH1 and very little of 2.

Storywise I'm just kinda going with the flow, don't really care if it makes sense haha

I know that I've said before that I doubt they would move to the command deck system for KH3, but after playing through the beginning of this where Yen Sid talks about how Sora and Riku are "capable, but not true Keyblade Masters" and how they must unlearn and begin anew, I think this may be Nomura's way out to justify switching the console games over to command deck.

I know that he doesn't really have to justify it, really, but I recall him justifying Sora having to start from scratch, ability-wise in KH2 because he had his memory messed with in CoM and was asleep for however long.

Also, I'm really liking the Osaka team's KH art. You got to see a little bit of it in BBS, but after seeing this game, you can see pretty well that BBS was visually choked by the limitations of the PSP. The outer-city segments of Cite des Cloches, in particular, impressed me. Very nice colors - everything felt very cohesive and just nice to look at.

farnham

Banned
thetrythm, this and bravely default (also DQMTW)

SE on a run on 3DS?

qualitywise i would say this is equal to birth by sleep with shorter loadings at this point. i still prefer BBS for better characters though

Finished Traverse Town with both characters. It was definitely a solid first world, and I'm really impressed with how much bigger every where is now. This game definitely puts Birth by Sleep to shame in that regard.

I feel like I'm still barely scratching the surface with regards to the spirits, but I'm enjoying the system right now, and it gives some new ways to really customize your set up.

Although the additions to the combat have been great, I really miss shot locks. Those were so much fun to use in BBS.

OK so I just read that whole Games Radar article. It was pretty helpful, though I'm still a bit confused. It's a lot to take in considering I haven't really been heavily invested in the franchise for 7 years or so.

I know a few people that own a PSP and Birth By Sleep, so I might be able to play it. It always looked great to me, I just couldn't justify myself buying a PSP for one game; outside of Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, I can't say I'm interested in much PSP software (sorry to say, it was a pretty cool device).

Well, if you have any specific story questions for me after reading that, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. It's always nice bringing new Kingdom Hearts fans into the fold. :) Hope you get to play Birth by Sleep!

Damn.. it would've been awesome to have Lightning in a game that didn't suck ass.

What game are you talking about? Surely not Final Fantasy XIII or XIII-2, since they were both great games... maybe you're talking about Dissidia Duodecim? I haven't played it so I can't comment on it, but I never liked the original Dissidia much...

Murrah

Banned
So, three hours in, general impressions from someone who loved KH1 and 2 when they came out but hasn't touched a game in the series since:

- Looks gorgeous (duh doy), and they fixed my biggest complaint of the PS2 games - the levels actually feel decently sized and not just blocks of really small rooms

- That being said, where are any NPCs outside of the occasional moogle? I didn't mind it in Traverse Town much since it had such a weird dreamy atmosphere, but it doesn't feel right having no one around in the Hunchback level, especially in cutscenes. Definitely takes me out a bit

- The battle system is really fun. Flow motion is great (albeit overpowered right now), and I like customizing the command decks as well as the dream eaters

- I surprisingly like the dream eaters a lot considering how down on them I was when the game was first revealed, though I am a sucker for dumb puns and pokemonish elements. That being said, a huge appeal of Kingdom Hearts to me was having Disney characters (and Auron) in your party. Feels really lame to be introduced to Quasimodo and then just have him show up in cutscenes, and even then end up not doing anything. I'm not sure what a happy medium would be, maybe something like the various FF characters fighting alongside you in Hallow Bastion in KH2, but there has to be something to make the Disney worlds and characters feel like more than window dressing again

- Drop system seems dumb and pointless and I think I would prefer to just play through the game twice, but it hasn't bothered me yet

- Story isn't nearly as confusing as people make it out to be, and that's coming from someone who doesn't even care enough to read up on the past however many games I missed. It is dumb in a fun guilty pleasure way though

Basically what I'm saying is that even if you're not well versed in Kingdom Hearts, if you just want a fun action rpg on your 3ds I'd definitely recommend it, story be damned

ZenaxPure

How could anyone believe that picture of Lightning is real, there are 0 zippers and only 1 belt on that outfit people.

Really though I think it looks quite nice, I'd expect her to look almost exactly like that were she in the KH games

- That being said, where are any NPCs outside of the occasional moogle? I didn't mind it in Traverse Town much since it had such a weird dreamy atmosphere, but it doesn't feel right having no one around in the Hunchback level, especially in cutscenes. Definitely takes me out a bit

Yeah, this has been a real problem for awhile, and it really bugged me with Birth by Sleep. The Prince throws a Ball and Cinderella's household are the only people there? Coliseum seats are perpetually empty?

At this point, I guess we just have to accept that it's the way these games are for the foreseeable future. I hope they'll have some more NPCs around in Kingdom Hearts III, but I'm not going to count on it.

SoulUnison

Banned
The Dream Eaters just keep growing on me. I don't think I'd realized just how long it's been since we had a KH game with really full-fledged partners to party with. And they're way better than Donald and Goofy were in KH2. Individual "Sphere Grids," they learn actual attacks and abilities and have been doing legitimate damage to enemies for me. They even learn buffs and debuffs and use they semi-intelligently. It used to be we were lucky when Gooy used a Potion at the right time!

If Dream Eaters don't come back as a full system again, this definitely needs to be the way party members are leveled and act in future games.

Yeah, this has been a real problem for awhile, and it really bugged me with Birth by Sleep. The Prince throws a Ball and Cinderella's household are the only people there? Coliseum seats are perpetually empty?

At this point, I guess we just have to accept that it's the way these games are for the foreseeable future. I hope they'll have some more NPCs around in Kingdom Hearts III, but I'm not going to count on it.
To me this would be the most needed improvement in an HD KH. Almost every scene in Cites des Cloches is made super awkward without the crowds.

Top Bottom