• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Yeah, this has been a real problem for awhile, and it really bugged me with Birth by Sleep. The Prince throws a Ball and Cinderella's household are the only people there? Coliseum seats are perpetually empty?

At this point, I guess we just have to accept that it's the way these games are for the foreseeable future. I hope they'll have some more NPCs around in Kingdom Hearts III, but I'm not going to count on it.

I think this was the necessary direction to take when considering that areas were actually battle fields, and they could not make disappear all NPCs when enemies appeared.

SoulUnison

Banned
To me this would be the most needed improvement in an HD KH. Almost every scene in Cites des Cloches is made super awkward without the crowds.

In Sora's Side for Cites des Cloches, Esmerelda is already ON FIRE when Sora arrives on the scene, and Quasimodo doesn't get around to saving her for a good 45 seconds to a minute later.

And of course, the square was totally empty except for 4 of the 5 characters that exist in the world.
I think it was the most awkward scene I've seen in this series so far.

SoulUnison

Banned
While all the Bestiary entries and things are brilliantly written, the "Chronicles" that cover past games are really...awkwardly written. If I hadn't already played every game, I don't know f it would have helped a ton. I guess they try to not give *too* much away so you might go back an buy/play those games, but they draw the line in a weird place.

Oh boy oh boy. If these last few scenes were what I think they were...

People who though that KH2 jumped the shark are gonna love this one lol.

While all the Bestiary entries and things are brilliantly written, the "Chronicles" that cover past games are really...awkwardly written. If I hadn't already played every game, I don't know f it would have helped a ton.

I challenge you to make as short synopsis of the plots and make it sound good ;).

Oh boy oh boy. If these last few scenes were what I think they were...

People who though that KH2 jumped the shark are gonna love this one lol.

I challenge you to make as short synopsis of the plots and make it sound good ;).

I think a plot synopsis would have been better done, if they went away from "then this did that, and then dude had a fight with dude" and stopped telling it in such a simplistic and childish manner.

The entire plot could probably be told, and understood by people, if it was all brought together and better explained then what the game currently does.

Dereck

Half of this game will be spent on me hopping around town using flowmotion. I will get nothing done.

I'm level 10 in Traverse Town, and all I do is flowmote and grind, but the flowmotion makes the grinding non-tedious.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if you have any specific story questions for me after reading that, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. It's always nice bringing new Kingdom Hearts fans into the fold. :) Hope you get to play Birth by Sleep!

Thanks, I'll be checking back here if I have questions lol.

TWEWY fans, are you satisfied about the characters and their stories in this KH? Imo, they're all great, and they reflect nicely how they're in the original game.

hamchan

Up to the last world now. Reached the incredibly confusing and convoluted part. I don't know what the heck is going on lol.

Skilletor

I'm having real trouble with the controls on this.

Have attack and jump been switched? Camera control seems worse than what I'm used to, which is strange since I finished BbS. Maybe I got used to having two analogs thanks to Vita.

I have the CCP, but I don't want to use it because I'll be getting an XL in a few weeks. :(

Game looks decent. Already not a fan of this "drop" system, but free flow stuff is fun.

I guess I need more time with it. Only played for an hour or so.

Murrah

Banned
TWEWY fans, are you satisfied about the characters and their stories in this KH? Imo, they're all great, and they reflect nicely how they're in the original game.

Yeah I think they did a nice job. Thought they fit in better than any of the Final Fantasy characters they've ever done too aside from maybe Auron. Plus Beat sounded like Jesse Pinkman

DarkKyo

I just started Traverse Town(just started the game) and
Neku is already a complete asshole
so they got it perfect!

Psxphile

I dont have much of a problem with Olympus Coliseum, but Wonderland can live with Xion in everyone forgot about you land.

Fixed that for you.

I'm having real trouble with the controls on this.

Have attack and jump been switched? Camera control seems worse than what I'm used to, which is strange since I finished BbS. Maybe I got used to having two analogs thanks to Vita.

I haven't got my copy yet but... lemme guess? A is attack and B is jump? That's how it's supposed to be. It's always been that way, only the KH games that came out on Sony systems in the west have the inputs switched around to where X is attack and O is jump. It's a Sony mandate, after all (or so I've heard... only Kojima has been able to get away with it).

Yeah I think they did a nice job. Thought they fit in better than any of the Final Fantasy characters they've ever done too aside from maybe Auron. Plus Beat sounded like Jesse Pinkman

I agree. In particular, I loved Joshua's role, e.g.
his intuition about the dreaming stuff

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
This one?

kingdom-hearts-3d-doesnt-need-lightning.jpg

(first pic I could find)

I forget the whole story, but yeah, a fake.

Yeah, that's exactly the picture I remember seeing.

Wow, I thought it was legit till just yesterday. 0.o

You now realize that this is the first KH game without the Olympus Coliseum.
Kingdom Hearts III needs a new area to serve as the Coliseum...a Wreck-It-Ralph World featuring a Video Game Tournament? That'd be neat, and would be a good excuse to throw in some Final Fantasy characters to battle.

I dont have much of a problem with Olympus Coliseum, but Wonderland can live with Roxas in everyone forgot about you land.
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up working in the Alice Returns to Wonderland film (the one with Depp) in the next Kingdom Hearts.

I've already played for 5 hours and have only finished TT.

I've been creating spirits and reading all the logs and playing mini games and grinding and getting new abilities and exploring.....lots of content so far, enjoying it alot, especially like that I can have a relaxing time with the spirits if I choose and not have to battle everytime.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The only thing about Spirits is that there's so many I'm anxious about which ones to use...I've got 6 so far, split them up between Sora and Riku (Sora has Bow Wow, the sheep, and the clown, Riku has Komori Bat, Pricklemare, and that toxic salamander) and they've been good so far, but now I've got some stronger ones I can create, but I don't know if I should, or wait till my ones I have at the moment are maxed and learn all their spells.

I was going to pick this up for the TWEWY area, having never played a KH game before. Worth it?

Well, you should pick up some KH game, because the game is really story-heavy, even though many things are condensed in the final part. But TWEWY characters are well implemented, and they appear
in two different occasions since main characters return in their world a second time.

Nohar

Beginning the game with the "0 EXP" ability is a blessing... I can explore the worlds without ending overleveled for the next ones (I play on Proud Mode, I want to keep as much challenge as possible). Overall, I'm playing the game really slowly, taking my time, doing a lot of spirit-creation (and leveling them).

As for the TWEWY characters, they are very true to themselves, but pre character-developpement (as someone said,
Neku is an ass
).

Also : (Gravité nulle +) + (Etincelles +) (which should be "Null Graviga" + "Sparkga" in english I think, or something like that) with Sora = Win button.

Nohar

For someone who has only played the first KH, would I be missing too much backstory if I played this?

Blindly put : Yes. The plot is very convoluted, and without playing KH2 and BBS, you may don't understand what's happening (at all), and who are all those new characters. Hopefully, the glossary will allow you to read the story of KH, KH2, BBS, and probably others games too, but expect to be completly at a loss here.

Chunky

For someone who has only played the first KH, would I be missing too much backstory if I played this?

Most all the worlds, barring the last, are actually quite self-contained. There's also some text summaries of all other games, which cover pretty much all the important points. At the very least you should like the gameplay, so I'd say go for it.

Enjoying the game so far. About 30 minutes in. Finally got the controls down but i'm sorta confused about creating these pets and how they're actually used.

Was excited to have another game I can use the CPP. I assumed it would make camera control easier, but i'm starting to think it's just not necessary for this game. I find myself using the shoulder buttons to control the camera just because it's easier than using the CPP.

Hobbun

Blindly put : Yes. The plot is very convoluted, and without playing KH2 and BBS, you may don't understand what's happening (at all), and who are all those new characters. Hopefully, the glossary will allow you to read the story of KH, KH2, BBS, and probably others games too, but expect to be completly at a loss here.

Well, I have both KH2 and BBS, but have never played them (part of my huge backlog). So I’ll just play them first before I get into DDD. And will probably re-play KH1 just because it’s been so long.

Thanks.

Skilletor

How do you use the AR card thingys?

I haven't got my copy yet but... lemme guess? A is attack and B is jump? That's how it's supposed to be. It's always been that way, only the KH games that came out on Sony systems in the west have the inputs switched around to where X is attack and O is jump. It's a Sony mandate, after all (or so I've heard... only Kojima has been able to get away with it).

I haven't played a JP KH in awhile, and I've never played any of the DS KH games, so I'm ignorant there.

Why can't I just customize my damn controls? :p

Nohar

How do you use the AR card thingys?

When you're taking care of your spirits, just orient the camera to the cards (you must use the "real" background for that, and desactivate the "in-game" background if you put it instead of the "real" one).

The only thing about Spirits is that there's so many I'm anxious about which ones to use...I've got 6 so far, split them up between Sora and Riku (Sora has Bow Wow, the sheep, and the clown, Riku has Komori Bat, Pricklemare, and that toxic salamander) and they've been good so far, but now I've got some stronger ones I can create, but I don't know if I should, or wait till my ones I have at the moment are maxed and learn all their spells.

R & R seal and the cannon spirit thingie are pretty good for getting awesome abilities.

Hobbun

Do I need to play any of the other KH games, as well? Like 358/2, etc?

Top Bottom