• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Ended up caving and picking this up last night. I have to say, the most surprising part about this game so far is that it didn't start with another remix of Simple and Clean
Kinda dissapointed by that actually ;_;

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
There's one thing I'm curious about, even though I have three Spirits equipped, I can only use two of them in battle, right?

Nohar

By the way, a question related to Traverse Town (spoiler?): is it possible to
catch all treasures at the beginning, or do I have to wait until I have to come back there for story-related reasons in order to open all those chests ?

I know yesterday I said I wanted to wait for my xl, but I got nothin to do tonight and I don't think I can stare at the case and not play it for 3 weeks. I'm so weak!

I'm finding Proud Mode to be an enjoyable challenge in this game. My only real problem with BBS was that it was simply too easy. I've found 3D to provide more of a challenge so far in the battles, which is nice.

Nohar

I'm finding Proud Mode to be an enjoyable challenge in this game. My only real problem with BBS was that it was simply too easy. I've found 3D to provide more of a challenge so far in the battles, which is nice.

I agree. The possibility to block exp whenever we want is a plus (I hate being too overleveled).

Murrah

Banned
Who's the Jeff Bridges soundalike? Whoever it is does a really great job

Wish I could say the same about the
lightcycle minigame

Mario007

Do I need to play any of the other KH games, as well? Like 358/2, etc?
Days is pretty important as you'll see a certain charter showing up sometimes and won't really know why they're there. But i think the summary does a good job of explaining the story.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So wait, this game does spoil TWEWY? I've always wanted to play it (never had a DS) and was gonna get around to it. Oh well.. not gonna hold off playing this because of that, but it does suck :/

Murrah

Banned
So wait, this game does spoil TWEWY? I've always wanted to play it (never had a DS) and was gonna get around to it. Oh well.. not gonna hold off playing this because of that, but it does suck :/

Only thing it potentially spoils in the first Traverse Town visit is something that you'd only understand if you played the game. Don't know if there's a second Traverse Town visit and what happens in that if there is one though. If you just don't think about it too hard I'm pretty sure you'll be fine

Tagg9

I'm really enjoying the game, but I can't help but feel that it would be so much more enjoyable playing on my big screen TV. I have trouble keeping up with the action a lot of the time simply because there is so much going on during battles.

CrisKre

I must be doing something wrong, halp!

Im trying to beat the boss on Notre Dame with Riku, up until this point I was doing good at the game, but this thing is kicking my A$$! how do I beat it? Am i doing something wrong? or just difficulty spike for no reason?

njean777

Ok so far I understand the motion flow, reality shift, and making/feeding/petting spirits, but can somebody explain to me what or how to use dropping? Why should I ever use it? What are the pros and cons?

Nohar

I must be doing something wrong, halp!

Im trying to beat the boss on Notre Dame with Riku, up until this point I was doing good at the game, but this thing is kicking my A$$! how do I beat it? Am i doing something wrong? or just difficulty spike for no reason?

This one is indeed a little hard.
If my memory serves me correctly, he mainly uses Fire attacks. If you can have by your side spirits which enhances your fire protection, it's a good idea to bring them along. Also, you have the flower spirit which can cast both Protect and Shell on you, which is a very good thing. Bring it with you if you managed to create it.
As for the attack : discard useless commands, such as Gravity. Be sure to have Cura (I think it's the english name, may need to verify this one) in your "deck". The boss moves a lot, so attack commands which can help to reduce the distance between you and the boss may be a good idea. Blizzard spells might be a good idea... If you manage to hit the boss with them (since they don't follow the target, it might be tricky to land them).
Also, you can bring two spirits with their fusion bar maxed, and fuse with them (the "flying" (sorry, my game is in french, can't tell you the english name) transformation was incredibly useful, allowing me to attack the boss and evade his attacks quite easily).

Nohar

You get buffs if you switch early. If you don't, you get nothing. I think I heard that somewhere.

Quite the contrary.
When you're fighting, you can earn points that you will be able to spend once you need to switch between characters. Those points allow the other character to stay "awake" for an extended duration, make his physical/magical attacks stronger, win some items or abilities...
The more your character stay awake, the more occasions you have to earn points, the more points you can spend once you have to switch (when the Drop Jauge run out).
You can switch manually whenever you want, you won't lose the points earned.
You can also use "Drop Me Not" items (Alarm clocks/Réveil in French), which restaure your Drop jauge, allowing you to play with the same character longer. You can, in fact, keep using "Drop Me Not" as often as you like (you can buy them, and they're not that expensive), which mean that in the end the Drop system isn't a problem, since you have complete control on how you want to use it.
So, yes, you can end up switching between characters in the middle of a boss fight, but it really would be your own fault, since it's pretty easy to tell if you will have enough jauge to kill a boss.

@gosox333: Yes.

Thoraxes

When I notice my meter getting low, I go ahead and do the boss fight to experiment with the mechanics of the fight to get them down, Drop, which is a palette cleanser to prep mentally, and then when I drop the next time, i'm good to have a first solid attempt at a boss.

njean777

When I notice my meter getting low, I go ahead and do the boss fight to experiment with the mechanics of the fight to get them down, Drop, which is a palette cleanser to prep mentally, and then when I drop the next time, i'm good to have a first solid attempt at a boss.

That is actually really smart.

By the way, a question related to Traverse Town (spoiler?): is it possible to
catch all treasures at the beginning, or do I have to wait until I have to come back there for story-related reasons in order to open all those chests ?

For most of the worlds, you won't be able to get every treasure chest during your initial run because some areas are locked out to each character for story reasons. But you don't have to wait long to get the ones you missed -- you can go right back into the world after you finish it to get the missing chests.

In the case of Traverse Town, I would at least advise getting all of the treasures in the Fountain Square room with both characters before beating the game at the very least. I can't really say why without spoiling anything, but trust me on this one.

coughlanio

Okay, this is probably completely dumb, but its my first kingdom hearts game, what the hell are the two icons on the map? One is a glowing key and the other is a pink flower. I must have missed something at the start of the game.

Okay, this is probably completely dumb, but its my first kingdom hearts game, what the hell are the two icons on the map? One is a glowing key and the other is a pink flower. I must have missed something at the start of the game.

The glowing key represents your character. The black key shows where you came from. There are blue and pink heart-shaped symbols. These are your Dream Eaters. The pink flower icon might be the Link Portals.

Leeness

My sister is whining at me. She apparently can't find her way to the Court of Miracles with Sora in Notre Dame. I haven't even started the game so I don't know haha.

Can anyone give me a hand? Haha.

Sora, Notre Dame, where the hell is the Court of Miracles?

Seda

My sister is whining at me. She apparently can't find her way to the Court of Miracles with Sora in Notre Dame. I haven't even started the game so I don't know haha.

Thid was posted earlier, I think other people were having the some issue.

Excuse the bad picture, but you can get to the Court of Miracles through this little part:

igmrq.png

Hope we are talking about the same thing.

Nohar

In the case of Traverse Town, I would at least advise getting all of the treasures in the Fountain Square room with both characters before beating the game at the very least. I can't really say why without spoiling anything, but trust me on this one.

Ok. Thank you very much !

Once you are in the catacombs, look for destructible rocks alongside the walls. One of them will lead you to the next aera (and the Court of Miracles).

The soundtrack is indeed excellent (though, gosh, why AGAIN Monstro... I hated this world so much in KH1... Well, at least we have the Free Flow system this time).

Leeness

Lmao she hadn't gone to the second half of the tunnels. She was running around that first tunnel for like two hours.

There found it. Thanks y'all :)

SoulUnison

Banned
Does anyone else feel like Sora/Riku are a lot easier to stagger/stun lock than in previous games? A lot of commands with long wind-ups are borderline useless it seems because the slightest tap will knock you out of it.

The Skark series of speel has been near useless to me because it's *designed* for use in the middle of crowds, but it has such a long startup that it's next to impossible to actually get the attack out - and Command Reload starts when you begin an attack, not when you sucessfully complete it, so Spark/Ra/Ga feels like it's constantly on Reload even though it actually goes off maybe every tenth use.

Nohar

Does anyone else feel like Sora/Riku are a lot easier to stagger/stun lock than in previous games? A lot of commands with long wind-ups are borderline useless it seems because the slightest tap will knock you out of it.

The Spark series of speel has been near useless to me because it's *designed* for use in the middle of crowds, but it has such a long startup that it's next to impossible to actually get the attack out - and Command Reload starts when you begin an attack, not when you sucessfully complete it, so Spark/Ra/Ga feels like it's constantly on Reload even though it actually goes off maybe every tenth use.

Personnaly, I keep Sparkra in my deck, but when you want to use that spell, you better use Null Gravity (or whatever its name is in english) beforehand : that way, all enemies are vulnerables, unable to attack Sora, and I just have to cast Sparkra for massive damages (though, since enemies affected by Null Gravity tends to move away when hit, the spell doesn't work to its full effect, unless there are walls nearby - I wonder if the Stop spells aren't a better option, but it seems to me that enemies affected by it are immune to damages... Can someone confirm/infirm this ?).
Truth to be told, I wonder if casting Thundaga/ra isn't more useful that the Spark-spells.

All in all, Spark spells aren't bad, but you need an adequate set-up if you want to use them. Also, I certainly wouldn't use them against bosses.

hamchan

Game finished on normal. Took me 16:14, so shorter than some of the other games. I didn't feel like I was rushing at all too.

Most used flowmotion is Wall Kick x999 lol. Spirits Collected is 35%, which is fair enough. Never even saw a spirit above D rank in my playthrough.

The secret message from Nomura has me hyped.

Awakening of the next number in never before seen detail? Can only mean KH3 is next hell yeah!!!

Also I don't want to talk about the ending in this yet until more people have finished the game but one thing I want to say regarding the next game is:
The 7 looks like it's going to be Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Axel, Ventus and one more, maybe Aqua? I sure hope all of them will be playable

Now time to finish the game on proud mode now.

Also there is new game+ if you want spirits to be carried over, for those people that wanted to know.

SoulUnison

Banned
Game finished on normal. Took me 16:14, so shorter than some of the other games. I didn't feel like I was rushing at all too.

Wooooooooooow. I'm at 19 hours and I'm *just* starting the last world of the first "ring" with each character. Then again, I'm playing Proud so some grinding has been involved, and I don't let a character move onto a new world until I find every chest in the current one.

All in all, Spark spells aren't bad, but you need an adequate set-up if you want to use them. Also, I certainly wouldn't use them against bosses.

It's best to jump in the air out of reach before using a Spark spell. It has a deceptively large vertical hitbox, so it'll still hit, while keeping you safe during the startup animation.

With that said, the Balloon spells are probably the most useful overall. Balloon acts like Mine Square from BBS, Balloonra does a ton of damage and homes in, and Balloonga is nigh-unavoidable.
They also absolutely wreck the game's optional postgame boss

hamchan

Wooooooooooow. I'm at 19 hours and I'm *just* starting the last world of the first "ring" with each character. Then again, I'm playing Proud so some grinding has been involved, and I don't let a character move onto a new world until I find every chest in the current one.

Yeah never had to grind on normal. Just beating every enemy you come across is enough to finish the game easily.

Also replaying the start now and it really is quite a confusing mess. Like, they just dump you into the Ursula/tutorial battle and then suddenly DIVE MODE and then Traverse Town, with little explanation of what is happening lol.

Top Bottom