• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Kamek

I'm playing on proud. Without spoiling anything, is collecting all the chests necessary for any type of
secret ending
?

Synless

I'm playing on proud. Without spoiling anything, is collecting all the chests necessary for any type of
secret ending
?
Another question to go along with this one, is proud mode required to get a secret ending easier like BBS? I would play it that way, buy my backlog won't allow me that extra time.

hamchan

secret ending
?

You have to earn 5 trophies. There are a lot of trophies with opening all chests just being one of them.

Another question to go along with this one, is proud mode required to get a secret ending easier like BBS? I would play it that way, buy my backlog won't allow me that extra time.

Nope, but you have to get 7 trophies on Standard mode compared to 5 on Proud mode. It's not a big difference really.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I played a bit of it (finally) and it's really fun. Mechanically, it's a lot more interesting than the last big Kingdom Hearts game I played (Kingdom Hearts II).

I haven't really found the in game flashbacks/glossaries to be as helpful as reading up on Wikipedia. Even still, I'm pretty lost with the story -- I think it's a bit too much to handle reading it in one go, but I'm kind of getting it.

njean777

I played a bit of it (finally) and it's really fun. Mechanically, it's a lot more interesting than the last big Kingdom Hearts game I played (Kingdom Hearts II).

I haven't really found the in game flashbacks/glossaries to be as helpful as reading up on Wikipedia. Even still, I'm pretty lost with the story -- I think it's a bit too much to handle reading it in one go, but I'm kind of getting it.

Yeah the story is really convoluted, but luckily I have played all the games as they have come out. I really suggest you play BBS though and Chain of Memories. 358/2 is the one you can skip and recoded.

Velcro Fly

Got mine in the mail from Newegg this afternoon. Really impressed that it got here so quickly with free shipping from that $10 off pre-orders deal.

As a long time fan of the series, I must say I love the gameplay so far. It keeps the good from BBS but adds enough of it's own flavor that even going back to BBS might feel almost like a step back. I can't say much for the story since I'm only about 3 hours into the game so far but I must say it feels good to be able to play as Sora and Riku again in a game like this.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm going to go against the regular sentiment here and say BBS is not necessary to play either, especially if you have to go out and buy a UMD PSP for it.

3D does have quite a decent summary of the game's events.

Hell the only thing I like better in BBS is Aqua. If this game had just thrown in Kairi playing just like Aqua I would have been happy as a clam.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Why do reviewers do this? Does every game in the series need to be a radical departure from the previous entry? I'm enjoying the hell out of this game so far.

If reviewers like a game that doesn't deviate from a formula the game "keeps it classic and true to its roots".

If reviewers don't like a game that doesn't deviate from a formula it's "just more of the same, clearly this developer is out of ideas."

Few reviewers seem able to distinguish between elements retained because they just work, and a game that is a true lifeless retread. It's pretty much random whether they get it right.

There are problems with this game, but, as usual, Mackey soars past them as he describes a litany of issues that either a. don't exist or b. he's convinced himself are huge glaring flaws instead of insignificant quibbles. In particular, the line about the combat being basically the same as the first game bothers me because it's blatantly false. I guess they're the same in that you hit enemies with a sword, so, using that logic, Doom is basically the same as Halo because you shoot guys. Sweet. Now I never have to play another game ever because I apparently played all of them already. Thanks for saving me all that time and money, 1up.

ZenaxPure

In particular, the line about the combat being basically the same as the first game bothers me because it's blatantly false.

Wait? The review actually says that? I'm honestly offended a little, your example pretty much sums up why. May as well call Doom and Halo the same game, indeed. While we're at it I guess that means combat is basically the same in FF1 and FF13 as well, you are picking attacks from a menu after all.

Wait? The review actually says that? I'm honestly offended a little, your example pretty much sums up why. May as well call Doom and Halo the same game, indeed. While we're at it I guess that means combat is basically the same in FF1 and FF13 as well, you are picking attacks from a menu after all.

The specific language is "doesn't feel far removed from [Kingdom Hearts]," which is a pretty polite way of saying that this shit is pretty much "yet another Dynasty Warriors" unless his definition of "far removed" is being in a different genre or something.

SoulUnison

Banned
Ok, so I'm at the end of Sora's
second Traverse Town visit.
I hope this is the low point of the game.

Suddenly there's a mini-boss
rush against a bunch of giant enemies
in one of the smallest arenas in the game. I'm more then 10 levels overleveled for the world, but when some of the attacks start coming, the camera has no idea what to do. Half the time it's inside the boss, and the other half it's flailing wildly. Lock-on doesn't help much, it just makes the camera flil, but with more *purpose*.

EDIT: Gah! This is just *bad* It's a tiny arena that that the boss has no change in behavior to compensate for, the camera has NO idea where it wants to be, the boss spams a multi hit AoE attack that, in a large arena you'd just run around, but here it it *takes up 2/3rds of the arena.* There's Verticle Poles all around the edges of the, again, tiny arena, so if you try to Flowmotion off the wall, you'll probably end up on a pole; aim for a pole, you'll end up on a wall - you can't plan, dodge, or even basically move around the area effectively.

Argh! I had to close the 3DS and put it down after my 20th attempt before I started thinking about throwing the thing. :p

botty

Banned
Just when I thought Nomura could not further ruin the Kingdom Hearts story after Birth By Sleep, here comes Dream Drop Distance. Birth By Sleep's undermining plot devices, and ridiculous characters topped my list for unnecessary directions the series was heading, BUT THEN CAME
TIME TRAVEL.

I'd like to believe that Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, and the stories that are in between them form a complete story. Simple: boy's island is swallowed by darkness, boy gets separated from friends, some stuff happens, then boy finds friends and goes home.

I did enjoy the gameplay, and the worlds were ok, if not bare. Fantasia's music was top notch on the 3DS.

Question for those who beat the game:

Did you enjoy Riku's back-to-back-to-back-to-back boss fights?

I'd like to believe that Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, and the stories that are in between them form a complete story. Simple: boy's island is swallowed by darkness, boy gets separated from friends, some stuff happens, then boy finds friends and goes home.

I think of the story in the same way. Then in KH3 boy ends the great evil so it never happens again. Also he better make a move on Kairi ffs.

Some other stuff goes down with an organisation and some keyblade wars or some shit, but to me that is just filler.

mrsbriefdbzwrupa.png

botty

Banned
KH2's story is far worse than anything in the games following it. Lol.

How so?

Unlike Birth by Sleep, and now DDD, KH2 fits well into place with KH1/CoM/Days. BbS is constantly undermining the other games so that is can force its way into the series. DDD's came off as bad fanfic.
"Xehanort travels through time to make horocruxs, while Lea trains to be a keyblade master."

Seriously?

duckroll

It's stupid, poorly written, filled with terrible characters, has tons of moronic plot twists throughout the entire game. It's just lame. At least BbS was a decently scaled back origin story with a smaller cast and less convoluted shit. I hate the KH2 script. Always did, always will. One of Nojima's worst screenplays.

Famassu

How so?

Unlike Birth by Sleep, and now DDD, KH2 fits well into place with KH1/CoM/Days. BbS is constantly undermining the other games so that is can force its way into the series. DDD's came off as bad fanfic.
"Xehanort travels through time to make horocruxs, while Lea trains to be a keyblade master."

Seriously?
TT has already been in Kingdom Hearts series in KHII. It just wasn't quite as relevant to the bigger picture as it is after 3D.

duckroll

Hmmm, my impressions of the game aren't very good right now after playing the first hour or so. Will delay detailed impressions until I have a better understanding of the game. The early parts of the game seem very poorly paced, and the way tutorials are introduced and balanced in the narrative aren't exciting at all. This could be the least interesting start to a KH game I've ever played... including 358/2 Days. :(

I really, really hope it picks up quickly.... ;_;

Zomba13

Question for those who beat the game:

Did you enjoy Riku's back-to-back-to-back-to-back boss fights?

When I went back after levelling I did. Firaga Bust + fire boosts + good magic = lololololol damage. First time I was underleveled so I just could not beat the second one.

Nohar

Hmmm, my impressions of the game aren't very good right now after playing the first hour or so. Will delay detailed impressions until I have a better understanding of the game. The early parts of the game seem very poorly paced, and the way tutorials are introduced and balanced in the narrative aren't exciting at all. This could be the least interesting start to a KH game I've ever played... including 358/2 Days. :(

It gets better. Imo, Traverse Town is a very tedious world (and, really, I hated those boss). I really didn't like it (expect for the TWEWY remixes of course).

botty

Banned
TT has already been in Kingdom Hearts series in KHII. It just wasn't quite as relevant to the bigger picture as it is after 3D.

There is no TT outside of DDD. Unless you count that secret boss in BbS.

The narrative of this game is hilariously disjointed. Those flashback memory scenes were a strange way of telling the story of worlds.

When I went back after levelling I did. Firaga Bust + fire boosts + good magic = lololololol damage. First time I was underleveled so I just could not beat the second one.

I'll try to get that stuff when I play again.
The first two boss fights were easy since they had a pattern to their methods, but that second Ansem fight was annoying as hell.

Chunky

Any tips for the third boss's black balls of death bit? Cannot seem to dodge them at all :(

I really miss leveling up commands in BbS. Nearly every command there felt special in a way. :( Right now I stacked Spark Dive plus 2 Cures. Magic feels so weak except for the crowd control ones.

Chunky

Dark Aura or Time Splicer
Hmmm, been using Dark Splicer, but the balls spawn right in front of me. Mayve I just need to time it better.
Also, thank god for the drop system, since if the boss is giving me too much trouble I can just switch to the other guy, farm some new commands and take another crack at it.

Peff

Hmmm, been using Dark Splicer, but the balls spawn right in front of me. Mayve I just need to time it better.
Also, thank god for the drop system, since if the boss is giving me too much trouble I can just switch to the other guy, farm some new commands and take another crack at it.

Don't even give the boss time to summon anything, the moment you are thrown back lock-on, use either command and you'll teleport forward.

botty

Banned
Unfortunately, I did not have either of those commands, or at least not attached. I beat that section by blocking some of the balls, then spamming curaga for the invincibility (thanks leaf bracer) to survive that onslaught.

Chunky

Don't even give the boss time to summon anything, the moment you are thrown back lock-on, use either command and you'll teleport forward.

Unfortunately, I did not have either of those commands, or at least not attached. I beat that section by blocking some of the balls, then spamming curaga for the invincibility (thanks leaf bracer) to survive that onslaught.
Cool, thanks, want to beat him so I can start the game over on critical :lol

I kind of felt the same about the first hour or two, but I feel like things pick up by the end of the first world. It's a pretty weak opening, and I really don't like how they handle the tutorial portion, especially compared to Birth by Sleep.

Skilletor

I'm feeling the same. At the first boss with Riku and not liking the way the game progresses at all.

schlew

Just a couple hours in, and I'm really enjoying it. It's my first Kingdom Hearts game, so yes, the story is weird. However, the combat and flowmotion are awesome, so what more could I want?

I just completed Travellers Town, and the next world has a combat lvl of 8. I'm a 6 with Riku and Sora. Should I go and grind? I'm playing in easy, mind you.

Finished it last night, clocked in 32 hours on Proud Mode. I enjoyed it a lot, really liked how the area's arent boxed rooms, and are a bit more open than previous KH games. Camera got kinda wonky during some fights, and noticed some framerate issues when a ton of enemies would get hit by a huge attack i'd use. But other than that and some story elements
Time Travel? Really?
i really enjoyed it.

I got yesterday, and fighting the first boss with Riku and just before dealing the last blow my time drop was gone and had to use Sora.... When I came back to Riku, the boss had all his life again :/.

Also, I can´t get use to the CPP... It doesn´t click to me.

Verelios

Just got the game last night from Newegg. I just have to say, it's freaking amazing. Although I'd rather just have set comrades and level them up/pick their skills, but the dream eaters are cool too.

A problem though. I noticed it mentioned in this thread before, but dismissed it because it seemed irrelevant at the time: dropping is annoying the shit out of me. I really don't like that mechanic and would rather see something like BBS's character selection at the start of the game. That's maybe only one of the two things that put me off the game.

The other is that I can't level up abilities. Really saddened me to find that gone as it was a fun way to try out new abilities and mix up your deck.

Other than that, I'm absolutely loving this game! But is there something wrong with the speakers or is it the music? Some of it seems...different, or too soft? Like, take TWEWY's song "Calling". I just found it weird, but not really enough to complain about it.

Nohar

All in all, this game makes me want to play BBS (since I have the impression by reading this thread that 3D's gameplay is inferior to BBS's on some points)... Darn, I need a friend with a PSP + BBS to borrow >.>

Please SE, for KH3, don't put spirits in it. This system is getting tiring quickly. Really quickly.

Famassu

I forgot about that. However, that just goes to show how much this game contradicts the rest of the series.
The series has everything from World of Darkness to Data Worlds to Sleep Worlds. Don't see how TT is too out of the question.

The other is that I can't level up abilities. Really saddened me to find that gone as it was a fun way to try out new abilities and mix up your deck.

Agreed. I really enjoyed leveling up my abilities in Birth by Sleep, and it was fun to see how much cooler the abilities got as you leveled them up. That's something I really miss in this game.

Top Bottom