• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

I cannot find the "sad" music that plays multiple times. It happens once when
tron falls out of Sora's hands.
Does anyone know which song that is?

It's Destiny's Union from BBS

This friggin game... Bebpo is right. KH3 has so much to wrap up that its gonna be the next MGS4 at this rate lol.
I guess KH3 will have 3 campaings, Riku waking up Ven, Kairi going to fetch Aqua and Sora going after Xehanort or something.

Ok guys, I have a question: what kind of contents do I find once I finished the game? Optional bosses, side-quests, etc?

Critical mode, 1 optional secret boss. Seems like there are super versions of some story bosses as well. I found a portal that has the first boss buffed up. Few side quests, nothing really great tho.

The lack of Honest John, Gideon, and The Coachman in Prankster's Paradise is extremely disappointing.

It's weird, especially considering that when the world was originally planned to be in 358/2 Days, Honest John and Gideon were supposed to appear there. (And their portrait data is still actually in that game's data.) I guess they just got written out of the scenario when they decided to try working it in again.

Ok guys, I have a question: what kind of contents do I find once I finished the game? Optional bosses, side-quests, etc?

- Secret portals get unlocked. They're basically refights of most of the bosses in the game with higher HP and stats. To fight them, you have to go to the place where you originally fought them and look for a Link Portal labeled "Secret"

- An optional boss also shows up in the Fountain Square area of Traverse Town

And there's the special portals, if you haven't already done that over the course of the game.

I love the game, and the fact that it plays like BbS is really a good factor to it. I was kind of afraid of the "recruit monsters gimmick" but they function like weapons in certain RPG and permit you to acquire stat boosts and powers. I also like how, contrary to BbS, you switch between characters. It keeps the game fresh without redoing it all over again like in BbS
It's kind of a shame the Command Board isn't here though. Ah well.

There is an issue though present since 358/2 Days...the utter lack of NPCs, save for some Mogs. It's really, really EMPTY. Maybe it's because of the 3DS's lack of power (I think the console can't render NPCs with enemies AND Sora and his allies), but really, you can avoid that by creating some monster-free zones.
That's my only gripe with the game thus far, and like BbS it feels more like an action game thant a ARPG...

Thoraxes

I think I changed my mind about the CPP. I didn't like it at first, but after playing without it for a while, my hand cramped up, so I tried it again and it seems to work better after all.

When my PowerPak+ dies, i'll go ahead and give that a second-shot then. I felt the same way.

Aeana

When my PowerPak+ dies, i'll go ahead and give that a second-shot then. I felt the same way.
I think it works pretty well if you set the control type to B. That way you can just tap R to lock onto stuff, and tap L to re-center the camera, and move the camera with the right stick.

The TWEWY characters being the only SE representation in the game is pretty disappointing. There's an optional boss that clearly should have been a character from a much beloved SE game instead of a generic nightmare. In case you missed it,
I'm talking about the frog knight that challenges you to a fight in Notre Dame.

Maybe you aren't invested in the story as much as others are.

It's still incredibly boring. I liked the story bits, but I didn't need the drawn out tutorial or doing the same jobs over and over to make cash for the beach. And then you get to Sora and friends and Hollow Bastion and Land of Dragon's is still ANOTHER 2 hour tutorial. Then you finally get to Beast's Castle and everything gets fun.

The TWEWY characters being the only SE representation in the game is pretty disappointing. There's an optional boss that clearly should have been a character from a much beloved SE game instead of a generic nightmare. In case you missed it,
I'm talking about the frog knight that challenges you to a fight in Notre Dame.

Well BBS had only 1 :<.

I hope for KH3 they take like 5 and give them good parts. KH2 had few good ones like Auron, Squall and gang back and Seifer (I don't care what people say!) and maaaany shitty ones like YRP, Vivi, Setzer, Sephiroth (they did him allready and it was the only secret boss in vanilla :(.)

Something like Gilgamesh chasing Sora in different worlds trying to get the Keyblade for his sword collection would be awesome.

Well BBS had only 1 :<.

I hope for KH3 they take like 5 and give them good parts. KH2 had few good ones like Auron, Squall and gang back and Seifer (I don't care what people say!) and maaaany shitty ones like YRP, Vivi, Setzer, Sephiroth (they did him allready and it was the only secret boss in vanilla :(.)

Something like Gilgamesh chasing Sora in different worlds trying to get the Keyblade for his sword collection would be awesome.
I'd hope for KH3 they'd bring back Squall, Aerith, Yuffie and Cid. I get that they're trying to wean the series off of FF cameos but it's so weird how they played such a major role in the first two games and then they just disappeared.

And I'm sure Lightning will make an appearance.

Aeana

Finished Traverse Town with both characters. I'll be happy to finally get into Disney worlds.
I can't believe how absolutely hilarious the TWEWY characters - especially Neku and his scarf - look in 3D.

Man, the opening of the grid is friggin difficult on proud. Luckily, I got through it after two tries. Almost near perfect jump timing is necessary to beat the opening part at level 8.

Synless

I think I changed my mind about the CPP. I didn't like it at first, but after playing without it for a while, my hand cramped up, so I tried it again and it seems to work better after all.
I wanted to like it, but I can't. The thing is a piece of shit.

Murrah

Banned
Finished Traverse Town with both characters. I'll be happy to finally get into Disney worlds.
I can't believe how absolutely hilarious the TWEWY characters - especially Neku and his scarf - look in 3D.

I dunno, aside from Shiki's grotesque waist I thought everything transferred to polygons surprisingly well

I wish I played FM KHII to be able to inherently know why.

The game still has poop pacing, and a kinda iffy plot, but the truckloads of extra content and the re-balancing from the vanilla version made all the difference for me.

Edit: Meant to say poor, but poop works too!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Me: I don't think I need to read any summaries of the other games. I've played them, don't remember much, but I probably won't care.
*watches the first cutscene*
The fuck is going on?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
My ranks for the series after playing this game:

KH2FM+ > BBS > DDD > KH1 > COM > 358/2 > Re:Coded

Me: BBS > KH1 >> KH2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 358/2

Haven't played DDD (yet), COM, or Re:Coded. 358/2 Days is just garbage IMO. After a couple of hours into that game I was bored to tears.

Thoraxes

I'm liking the combat and level design a lot more than BBS. I think I just really like Flowmotion, and look forward to new implementation of it in future titles. New worlds help too, obv.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm not very far in, but the way the commands/deck work in this one is really unfavorable compared to that game.

Yeah I agree.

And even though level design is improved... everything is even emptier than before. Not a single NPC in sight, aside from the shop moogle.

Yeah I agree.

And even though level design is improved... everything is even emptier than before. Not a single NPC in sight, aside from the shop moogle.

Well to be fair BBS was empty as hell.

Remember the Cinderella world?

Remember the party with three people in it?

"Oh the guests were just starting to enjoy themselves..."

No they weren't. They were never here.

Thoraxes

Well to be fair BBS was empty as hell.

Remember the Cinderella world?

Remember the party with three people in it?

"Oh the guests were just starting to enjoy themselves..."

No they weren't. They were never here.

Lol, I forgot about that. Maybe she just didn't have many friends :(

Ghost23

I honestly did not care for BBS that much. After finishing two of the characters, I was getting too bored to finish the third. The combat system was OK, but I think flowmotion and the spirits are better. I love discovering new spirits!

I just really miss having shot lock commands at my disposal. I think it's a real shame that they were taken out, and there isn't really anything to replace them.

branny

Yeah, okay, so...early impressions. After playing for several hours, this game is definitely not as amazing as BBS. Despite that, it's still very good and is already likely going to be my second-favorite in the series. Flowmotion navigation is very fun to abuse and well-supported by more intricate level designs and scenarios. The game's story, progression mechanics, and battles in general aren't as good, though, at least early on.

Some of the 3D effects are really neat, however the 3DS's small resolution makes everything feel so cramped. It also seems like the team was slightly more ambitious with bosses and regular enemy encounters in this game (they seem more aggressive and wild), yet the tech side of things (camera, resolution, framerate) has trouble keeping up for whatever reason. After playing BBS to death, this game just doesn't feel as...measured? The culmination of everything in KH3D makes it seem a bit more unwieldy and unrefined.

Dream Eaters are okay, but command melding didn't take like ten minutes to open up a camera just to get to a menu that lets you finally access an ability board. It seems like the theme of having more fluff in all the wrong places extends to a lot of other things, too. Some of my gripes may not stem from objective flaws, but it seems my personal preferences are more often in line with what BBS had to offer.

I just really miss having shot lock commands at my disposal. I think it's a real shame that they were taken out, and there isn't really anything to replace them.
I think I miss that and Command Styles the most. :(

duckroll

So far, what I like:
- The Dive minigame isn't offensive, 3D is kinda neat in that view

- Dream Eaters are kinda cute, having a pet game mechanic for a Nintendo portable is a great idea

- Environments are kinda big

- Flowmotion is cool and makes movement and combat feel more seamless

What I don't like:
- Really poor introduction parts, story feels disjointed, tutorials are badly implemented

- The support systems feel so shallow and mundane, commands have no levels, there's no fusion, command styles aren't earned, no finishing moves, whole list of shit I loved from BbS missing

- Flowmotion is shallow too, even though it's cool. Just by hitting Y every time I jump and aim at a pole or wall or whatever, and then hitting A, it's so hard to get hit at all

- Camera is much, much worse than BbS. It's not even the camera tracking, but rather how big the character and the enemies are relative to the screen size, most of the time I feel I can't see shit

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So far, what I like:
- The Dive minigame isn't offensive, 3D is kinda neat in that view

- Dream Eaters are kinda cute, having a pet game mechanic for a Nintendo portable is a great idea

- Environments are kinda big

- Flowmotion is cool and makes movement and combat feel more seamless

What I don't like:
- Really poor introduction parts, story feels disjointed, tutorials are badly implemented

- The support systems feel so shallow and mundane, commands have no levels, there's no fusion, command styles aren't earned, no finishing moves, whole list of shit I loved from BbS missing

- Flowmotion is shallow too, even though it's cool. Just by hitting Y every time I jump and aim at a pole or wall or whatever, and then hitting A, it's so hard to get hit at all

- Camera is much, much worse than BbS. It's not even the camera tracking, but rather how big the character and the enemies are relative to the screen size, most of the time I feel I can't see shit

Just wait until you get to the boss in Prankster's Paradise :(

Actually, the camera really irritated me on most of the boss fights.

I wanna say the linked attacks with the spirits could be a replacement for shotlocks. I missed shotlocks, mainly because it made you invincible for a short amount of time, enough to gather your thoughts on what to do next during a fight. Sora had something similar when he used the dream eater link, he'd be invincible for the duration of the link, while riku just sorta transforms his keyblade into something or gains wings, he can still be hit and take damage though.

Top Bottom