• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Aeana

I wanna say the linked attacks with the spirits could be a replacement for shotlocks. I missed shotlocks, mainly because it made you invincible for a short amount of time, enough to gather your thoughts on what to do next during a fight. Sora had something similar when he used the dream eater link, he'd be invincible for the duration of the link, while riku just sorta transforms his keyblade into something or gains wings, he can still be hit and take damage though.

It seems like you're invincible during flowmotion in this game, too. You can just dash into a wall and beat stuff without taking damage - at least that's what I've been doing so far.

prwxv3

I miss the disney infused gameplay mechanics that the other games had like summons in the main games and the amazing d-links in BBS.

And the ability acquisition system is pretty stupid that most of the abilities are based off the spirits in your party and when you want to create the same spirit but at a better rank you have to get all the abilities of that spirit all over again. Since I hate doing counter productive things like that I just use the three AR card S-rank spirits until I am able to create S rank versions of the other spirits.

Omzz

Just played an hour right now. The only thing that's sticking out is the flowmotion. Seems kinda bland and makes fights a whole lot easier. It's impossible to get hit while doing this.

Not sure how it stacks up against bosses, so I'll probably find it in a few more hours of gameplay.

gosox333

I'm finally gonna pick the game up tomorrow, so hopefully I'll stop pestering you people with my questions by then.

Does this sound right? You make a dream eater, level it up until you obtain it's permanent abilities, and start over with a new one to get more abilities? That's how getting abilities works in this game?

Also, do you get one permanent ability per dream eater, or are there more sometimes?

duckroll

It seems like you're invincible during flowmotion in this game, too. You can just dash into a wall and beat stuff without taking damage - at least that's what I've been doing so far.

This seems like a very serious design issue, at least from what I've played. The game without Flowmotion seems designed a lot like BbS, where your attacks and commands can all be interrupted, and enemies have patterns and openings to be attacked. If you try to button mash normally, you will probably die fast, and there's real challenge. But then when you throw in Flowmotion, everything no longer makes sense.

The Flowmotion programming seems to completely ignore damage and make all the Flowmotion animations invincible frames. This kinda breaks the gameplay entirely, since there is little reason to use anything else for most of the game, especially when you're in tight corners and the camera is blocking your view. The Flowmotion attacks also seem to automatically lock-on to the nearest enemy, making it even more pointless to try something more "skillful" so to speak.

Really, really strange game design all round. What happened to the BbS I loved? :(

prwxv3

I'm finally gonna pick the game up tomorrow, so hopefully I'll stop pestering you people with my questions by then.

Does this sound right? You make a dream eater, level it up until you obtain it's permanent abilities, and start over with a new one to get more abilities? That's how getting abilities works in this game?

Also, do you get one permanent ability per dream eater, or are there more sometimes?

You get abilities from Dream eaters from their ability board where you spend link points you get from mini games you play with or playing with your dream eater. And there are special locks on the boards that are different from each type of dream eater that you unlock by doing certain things (like leveling up your dream eater to a certain level, linking with them a certain amount of times, ect.)

There are party abilities from dream eaters that are only active when you have that dream eater in your party. Then there are abilities that are active just by having that dream eater in your collection these much less frequent. And when your dream eater either dies (and gives you materials) or you dismiss them and then create a new you you have to start out from scratch on the ability board. (though commands you get from the dream eaters are permanent)

You can definitely take damage during Flowmotion. I've gotten killed multiple times in the final world when trying to use it to retreat to safety.

Aeana

You can definitely take damage during Flowmotion. I've gotten killed multiple times in the final world when trying to use it to retreat to safety.

It really doesn't seem that way. I just fought the boss in the Hunchback world and
I was able to go right through his spinny chain attack while in flowmotion. I'd take damage after I attacked and his attack was still going, though, so I had to re-initiate it as quickly as I could.

duckroll

You can get hit during Flowmotion movement, but can you get hit during a Flowmotion attack? Because that's what I'm talking about. It's usually a long-ish attack animation that hits the area around the attack, and you can't get hit at all during that process.

Kamek

Wait, it's possible for a Dream Eater to die? Also, what's the number next to the drop gauge mean. I'm up to The Grid, and I still have no idea.

Also, how do you know the difference between an ability that will stay with you permanently and one that will leave when your dream eater isn't in your party? eg. HP up etc

prwxv3

Wait, it's possible for a Dream Eater to die? Also, what's the number next to the drop gauge mean. I'm up to The Grid, and I still have no idea.

Yep once your dream eater runs out of HP you have to revive it or else it will die and give you materials.

I heard people getting the special AR card Dream Eaters, letting them die, getting the materials, then summoning them again, rinse and repeat.

It really doesn't seem that way. I just fought the boss in the Hunchback world and
I was able to go right through his spinny chain attack while in flowmotion. I'd take damage after I attacked and his attack was still going, though, so I had to re-initiate it as quickly as I could.

You can get hit during Flowmotion movement, but can you get hit during a Flowmotion attack? Because that's what I'm talking about. It's usually a long-ish attack animation that hits the area around the attack, and you can't get hit at all during that process.

I've definitely taken damage during the Shock Dive and Kick Dive Flowmotion attacks. Not sure about the other ones.

gosox333

You get abilities from Dream eaters from their ability board where you spend link points you get from mini games you play with or playing with your dream eater. And there are special locks on the boards that are different from each type of dream eater that you unlock by doing certain things (like leveling up your dream eater to a certain level, linking with them a certain amount of times, ect.)

There are party abilities from dream eaters that are only active when you have that dream eater in your party. Then there are abilities that are active just by having that dream eater in your collection these much less frequent. And when your dream eater either dies (and gives you materials) or you dismiss them and then create a new you you have to start out from scratch on the ability board. (though commands you get from the dream eaters are permanent)

Fuck, they die? Like just from passing out in gameplay? Or just from neglect? How does that work?

EDIT: I'm too slow. That's really annoying, though.

What level are you playing at? I've definitely died during a flowmotion attack more than once.

prwxv3

Fuck, they die? Like just from passing out in gameplay? Or just from neglect? How does that work?

They die if you dont revive them in time after they run out of HP. But you get certain materials so this could be used to get certain materials easily.

It's definitely possible. Found it out the hard way when I attempted to go to Prankster's Paradise straight from Traverse Town on Proud. Turns out when you do scratch damage to the monsters, the monsters will laugh at your Flowmotion and punch you right in the face.

Yeah, you can definitely take damage during flowmotion attacks. I've gotten killed by bosses while I was in the midst of a flowmotion attack. As I get further in the game, I find enemies dealing me damage while in flowmotion more frequently.

duckroll

I'm playing on Proud. So far when I try to play with just Commands, I tend to take a lot of damage, but when I spam Flowmotion attacks I kill everything and even with a sliver of life left I never die. Weird.

I'm playing on Proud. So far when I try to play with just Commands, I tend to take a lot of damage, but when I spam Flowmotion attacks I kill everything and even with a sliver of life left I never die. Weird.

How far in are you? It gets progressively riskier to use the farther into the game you get, especially on Proud Mode.

prwxv3

besides the some of the bosses I really dont think its as hard as BBS. And having to unlock critical mode is stupid.

duckroll

How far in are you? It gets progressively riskier to use the farther into the game you get, especially on Proud Mode.

Well, that's good to know, but right now it feels like a broken system. I'm really early in the game, those are just my general impressions in the first world.

Well, that's good to know, but right now it feels like a broken system. I'm really early in the game, those are just my general impressions in the first world.
Ah first world, yea... It was easy to spam til I got to the boss. He's the first one I couldn't own with flowmotion. I switched to long range and spirit linking with the bosses.

Thoraxes

They go a bit into the design philosophy of Flowmotion in an Iwata Asks on the game. Was an interesting read for sure.

Yeah, it's pretty broken for the first one or two worlds. I agree that it could use some tweaking, though.

Yeah, that's definitely true as far as the first world goes. In the second world I had the boss kill me in flowmotion attacks numerous times, and in the third world I'm seeing regular enemies hurting me while in flowmotion. So it definitely seems to get progressively less broken over time.

Flowmotion to me is only useful depending on the kind of enemy you're fighting. Sora's Grid boss I found myself using flowmotion less while Riku's Prankster Paradise boss I found myself spamming it just to keep up with the damn thing. I'm also playing on Proud, and I gotta say, I like the challenge it's giving me.

hamchan

Can definitely get killed during some flowmotion attacks. That wall kick one though I don't think you can. That one is especially useful when the camera spazzes out and you can't see the enemy since it auto locks on. It's why I've used it 999+ times according to end game stats.

So, I've played the game for about 7 hours and I really don't think I like it at all.

I loved KH1, Mostly liked KH2, and think BBS is the best in the series.

This is... just kinda bad.

I don't really know how to put it in words really, but I am amazingly bored. Everything seems like I should like it but I have almost no motivation to keep playing.

It seems like others are also feeling this. It's just so odd because it seems just like the other games and it is relatively high quality.

It kind of feels... sterile? I guess.

Edit: I'm going to keep playing for now. If I still don't give a shit at 10 hours I'll probably just sell it.

Famassu

Standard.
Why on earth would you play a Kingdom Hearts game on anything but the hardest difficulty level? Flowmotion might be a key to victory on sub-Proud Mode difficulty levels, but it sure as hell isn't on Proud and I guess it will be even less so on Critical.

Seda

One thing I liked about BBS was I actually had a hard time with some of it. All the other KH's are usually way too easy.

I hope KH3D is challenging, and not because of something like camera control (I usually don't have issues with this so I don't foresee this being the case.)

Aeana

Why on earth would you play a Kingdom Hearts game on anything but the hardest difficulty level? Flowmotion might be a key to victory on sub-Proud Mode difficulty levels, but it sure as hell isn't on Proud and I guess it will be even less so on Critical.
I play all games on the normal difficulty mode my first time through, because they received the most balance and playtesting.
Sorry I'm not as cool as you.

I find the kh games too frustrating on high difficulty. The camera for instance is always fucked up except for kh2 so why make it hard for yourself? Especially when the gameplay is mostly repitition.

Normal may be easy, but for me it is also actually fun.

One thing I liked about BBS was I actually had a hard time with some of it. All the other KH's are usually way too easy.

I hope KH3D is challenging, and not because of something like camera control (I usually don't have issues with this so I don't foresee this being the case.)

3D is definitely way more challenging than Birth by Sleep was. I thought Birth by Sleep was way too easy (aside from a handful of boss fights), and I'm finding 3D is really challenging me on Proud. It's definitely a big step up in that department.

3D on the hardest difficulty is pretty challenging, but it exposes how annoying some of the enemy design is, and the frame rate drops actually seem to hinder things at times. (The
Traverse Town boss rush during Sora's 2nd visit there
being the biggest offender.)

hamchan

The big monster bosses have always been the worst part of the series.. Camera can never handle it. On the opposite end, the boss battles against people human sized are the best parts.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I usually find most Kingdom Hearts music to be pretty "meh"...really, outside of Simple and Clean, Sanctuary, Traverse Town, Hand-In-Hand, and Dearly Beloved, most of the music, especially the Disney Worlds, are usually pretty dull...

But this game has been great! The battle music in Pinnochio's World, Sora's version, is so upbeat and happy, especially when "When You Wish Upon a Star" pops up, and I agree with what someone said earlier, the Musketeer world has a great battle.

And of course the Gargoyle Boss music. Whoa. No wonder they used it in commercials.

Gradivus

Well, I just finished the game on Proud Mode. I'll have to go through the game again on the next difficulty level. The game was great,
it was annoying to fight like 4 bosses in a row with Riku at the end

The Grid is just so fun to run around and explore. I can't remember the last time a Kingdom Hearts game actually had me feeling like I was exploring an area as opposed to just walking from one small area to the next as the story demanded it. I really love how much bigger everything is here (now would it hurt for the next game to have some NPCs?).

And those random guards pack a bit of a punch. Especially compared to the other regular enemies to this point.

Overall, I love The Grid. I think they've done a great job realizing it, as an area that's both unique as well as a lot of fun to explore. Although, I don't really think this world's reality shifting is as cool as the first two were.

SoulUnison

Banned
Hey, remember when enemies could be staggered or blocked, and Super Armor was only for bosses and special occasions?
Remember when enemies had patterns and weaknesses and didn't just pinball and teleport around wildly, battering you with relentless attacks from every blind spot?
Remember when Sora and Riku didn't control like they're made of tissue paper, and Aerial Recovery was actually worth a damn?

Specifically, what they hell is up with the boss of Fantasia on Sora's side? It's got like 8 health bars. It's fought in an arena that is next to impossible to traverse and that drives the camera crazy. It's entire strategy is to constantly play teleport keep-away while summoning barrages of projectiles that have unreasonably good tracking, can't be interrupted, and are *unblockable*.

I feel like I've completely stopped having fun with this game.

Drago

About two hours in so far, and I love it!

Think I'm gonna hold off the playthrough until the 19th though... I'm sure that my experience will be much nicer with a giant screen and more comfortable system. :)

SoulUnison

Banned
I just can't do it. I'm 11 level over the Battle Level for the final world, and it's still just a clusterfuck.

I'm starting over on Standard difficulty. I'll deal with Critical when I unlock it.

Top Bottom