• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

For those who finished the game...
I've just found
Julius, the secret boss from Runaway Brain
A question: where do I find the
frog with an incredibly high amount of HP? The first one was in Notre-Dame cathedral, then I found it just before entering in the whale in Prankster's Paradise and then in Fantasia.
Which world is the next one?

Haven't seen much impressions on what people think of the dream / drop mechanic, a.k.a. switching back and forth between Sora and Riku. I'm really digging that aspect of it rather than having to play the game multiple times as in BBS just to see another char's POV.

duckroll

Haven't seen much impressions on what people think of the dream / drop mechanic, a.k.a. switching back and forth between Sora and Riku. I'm really digging that aspect of it rather than having to play the game multiple times as in BBS just to see another char's POV.

It's fucking awful. There is literally no difference from playing the game like BbS, except you have no control at all as to how much you want to play as a character. It's distracting, annoying, and it adds nothing to the game for the player. The fact that you can Drop during a boss fight is even more hilarious. Bad design all round.

hamchan

I think the general consensus is that it's stupid and pointless.

BbS: You pick a character and focus on it.

3DS: You're forced to switch out unless you burn your cash on items to extend the time. If you do extend it for a long time, you'll just feel lost when you switch.

Dereck

I'm having trouble knowing where to go next. I know that the game will have a text message on the bottom screen saying, "Go do something something something in this certain area", but I'm lost.

I think I got to level 18 in Hunchback world because I've just been aimlessly trying to trigger a cutscene.

I'm having trouble knowing where to go next. I know that the game will have a text message on the bottom screen saying, "Go do something something something in this certain area", but I'm lost.

I think I got to level 18 in Hunchback world because I've just been aimlessly trying to trigger a cutscene.

If you're playing as Sora and if you have to find the Court of Miracles, go to the Catacombs.
igmrq.png

I think they've done a great job realizing it, as an area that's both unique as well as a lot of fun to explore.

Agreed. They did an excellent job recreating Tron: Legacy's version of The Grid. Simply fantastic!

What does the text message say? I've finished that world, so maybe I can help you.

Thoraxes

I'm fine with it. I like it this way instead of having to start from the beginning with each guy over and over again.

I definitely prefer the simultaneity of gameplay, and it feels less of a mountain to get into the mood to start all over again. I put 2-3 months between each character playthrough in BBS because of the way they did it.

duckroll

Flip Rush is pretty fun! Not quite as good as the Command Board in BbS, but not a bad minigame at all. I hope there are lots more tournaments to unlock later on!

hamchan

Now I realize I didn't even play that flip or flick rush, whatever it's called, minigame even once in my first playthrough.

StuBurns

Banned
So response seems to be varied, some extraneous stuff maybe but it's about on par with BbS?

I traded in my 3DS after I played Mario because I knew I'd get a revision sooner or later, and it's out now, so I'll be getting another one in a couple of months. I'll wait for a must own game though, hopefully this is it.

Thoraxes

So response seems to be varied, some extraneous stuff maybe but it's about on par with BbS?

I traded in my 3DS after I played Mario because I knew I'd get a revision sooner or later, and it's out now, so I'll be getting another one in a couple of months. I'll wait for a must own game though, hopefully this is it.

For me, I like it about the same. While the flowmotion has added a lot to the combat and level design to make me like it much more, I feel that the upgrading skills systems and customizability of BBS were superior (I liked that system as opposed to the Dream Eater skill upgrade system), as well as the story (so far anyways).

DeVeAn

53 minutes playing through the tutorial. Too much to take in. GAH! How important are these pokemon? I really don't think I like the idea.

53 minutes playing through the tutorial. Too much to take in. GAH! How important are these pokemon? I really don't think I like the idea.

You can just think of them as your weapons that can also come to life to hit stuff.

How important, ehh, that's where you learn your abilities.

Thoraxes

They're also your "equipment" in that each monster has a different set of passive and active attributes that you gain or earn by having them equipped. Earning new abilities by distributing points in whichever manner you wish in each skill tree (and they all have different ones) gets you different ones abilities and passive bonuses.

Hate it!! I actually would even care if I had to change after finishing a lvl. but right in the middle of it sucks hard. I like to explore and find all the chest, maybe lvl up a bit. Can I no, I get forced to another character. I almost dropped right before killing the first boss, I would have really been pissed if i dropped one hit before he died.

duckroll

I don't feel the menus and tutorials do a very good in KH3D to explain the systems and make progression easy to understand. A lot of it seems rather over-complicated without giving a good idea of how to best progress or what parts to focus, etc. There's definitely a layer of polish missing from the game which BbS had.

Just got the game last night. I only just finished the Spirits tutorial, but I'm really digging the game thus far. I just wish the 3DS was easier for by big man-hands to hold haha. Motivation to get an XL, I guess ;)

I don't feel the menus and tutorials do a very good in KH3D to explain the systems and make progression easy to understand. A lot of it seems rather over-complicated without giving a good idea of how to best progress or what parts to focus, etc. There's definitely a layer of polish missing from the game which BbS had.

Never had any issues in understanding menus and tutorials.

Phatcorns

I've been having trouble not comparing this game to BBS, which I consider one of the best games ever made.

THE GOOD:
-Great story, already some touching moments and I'm just starting the second world.

-Great music as always, the battle theme in the first world is nostalgic and new at the same time.

-Great to play as Riku and Sora again.

THE BAD:
-Combat is just not as fun as BBS, or maybe I just don't understand it yet. I feel like in BBS, I knew exactly what to do which was equip some unleveled abilities, use the correct ones during battle to change command styles and beat the hell out of everything.

In this game, I'm not sure exactly what I should be working towards. I'm sorting of think it's that I need to constantly try to link up with my Spirits or maybe I'm supposed to do lots of Flowmotion attacks? And I only get new abilities from my Spirits? Just not clicking yet, then again I'm only on the second world.

It's also really hard. I think I may start over on normal. I thought Proud would be no problem considering I just got done with a Critical playthrough of all the BBS characters, but I guess not.

-My god, the camera. It swings around like never before. It's like KH1 all over again. They fixed it in BBS, this is pretty bad.

-Slowdown, the game looks better than BBS despite some pretty bad aliasing, but what's up with the slowdown?

-One more thing, I really miss the leveling of commands and melding them from BBS. I also miss the shotlock commands. That was the first thing I did in every battle was shotlock the hell out of everything.

OVERALL:
Really enjoying it despite my complaints, just gotta stop comparing it to the perfection of BBS. I have a feeling the combat will start to click, and the camera and slowdown are not even close to deal breakers, it's just not quite (but close) the level of polish and perfection I have come to expect from a Kingdom Hearts game.

Phatcorns

This seems like a very serious design issue, at least from what I've played. The game without Flowmotion seems designed a lot like BbS, where your attacks and commands can all be interrupted, and enemies have patterns and openings to be attacked. If you try to button mash normally, you will probably die fast, and there's real challenge. But then when you throw in Flowmotion, everything no longer makes sense.

The Flowmotion programming seems to completely ignore damage and make all the Flowmotion animations invincible frames. This kinda breaks the gameplay entirely, since there is little reason to use anything else for most of the game, especially when you're in tight corners and the camera is blocking your view. The Flowmotion attacks also seem to automatically lock-on to the nearest enemy, making it even more pointless to try something more "skillful" so to speak.

Really, really strange game design all round. What happened to the BbS I loved? :(

I know for sure that this isn't the case. I have died during a Flowmotion attack against an enemy. Maybe it's just certain ones that are invincible?

Famassu

Hey, remember when enemies could be staggered or blocked, and Super Armor was only for bosses and special occasions?
Enemies can still be blocked and staggered/rendered harmless for a while, and you can get through Super Armor or not be hindered too much by them quite easily. You just have to know how. Sounds like you don't...

Remember when enemies had patterns and weaknesses and didn't just pinball and teleport around wildly, battering you with relentless attacks from every blind spot?
They still do, they are just a lot more aggressive nowadays and don't just stand around as much as in the past.

Remember when Sora and Riku didn't control like they're made of tissue paper, and Aerial Recovery was actually worth a damn?
They are more agile, that's a GOOD thing..

Famassu

i hate the dream/drop mechanic seems tedious rather than helpful.

overall having a fun time
Then just use Drop-Me-Nots? Then you could just play the game forward for a few worlds at a time with one character instead of having to change the character every 15-20 minutes or so.

NTom64

Got the game a couple days ago, almost done with it now. Reached a horrifically bad boss as Riku (
Young Xehanort
) and I'm kind of not wanting to play any further.

The camera is awful and it's not making an already dickish boss fight any easier. I guess I'll go grind another 10 levels or so and then try again...

Then just use Drop-Me-Nots? Then you could just play the game forward for a few worlds at a time with one character instead of having to change the character every 15-20 minutes or so.

yea i am going to,seems to make the game more fun to play.

i really like the TWEWY characters and tron stuff

Awesome game. But I don't understand the "weather"? Especially things like "this dream eater has been spotted!" and such. I get the premise(I guess different days have different rewards, items etc?), I'm just totally lost on the whole concept, as they don't explain it to you at all.

BBS>DDD because:
-chest hunting actually is interesting due to getting many new abilities from them.
-growth system is better and not annoying. You can skip the command board stuff if you want and still get plenty of abilities and level them up during combat. In DDD if you want better abilities you have to spend time with spirit stuff.
-story is not as stupid
-less annoying enemies that kill you offscreen with bullshit attacks
-finishers, style changes that dont suck, shotlocks

DDD>BBS because:
-flowmotion
-bigger maps
-OST is better
-party members are back (feel free to remove this if you don't think so :D)

Those are just some bigger things that I feel about the games. BBS is definately better KH from both story and gameplay IMO but DDD is still so good that every KH fan should play it.

Awesome game. But I don't understand the "weather"? Especially things like "this dream eater has been spotted!" and such. I get the premise(I guess different days have different rewards, items etc?), I'm just totally lost on the whole concept, as they don't explain it to you at all.
Weather does some bonuses on that drop. For example monsters do more damage, shops have discounts ect. ''This dream eater has been spotted!''
means that a portal has appeared in the world with that Dream eater in it.

Got the game a couple days ago, almost done with it now. Reached a horrifically bad boss as Riku. I'm kind of not wanting to play any further.
You are right at the end so you should finish it! Do you have Second Chance, Once More and Leaf Bracer abilities? They do wonders for end game bosses.

Beat the game just now, amazing game and amazing ending but WTF with the story, can it get more complicated?, KHIII is going to like reading the bible in reverse.

-My god, the camera. It swings around like never before. It's like KH1 all over again. They fixed it in BBS, this is pretty bad.

I cant get the hang of the camera at all and I dont think I will be able to manage it as I go through the game. Its just always in the wrong spot and never where I want it. Locking on kind of helps.

StuBurns

Banned
I'd really like a new KH3 game design speculation thread if someone would make one. This is the last release before a KH3 ships (most likely), it will no doubt be influenced by work on Versus which we won't be privy to, but a thread based on the collective KHs thus far, which systems are likely to be taken forward for the next game, what people want/don't want. It could be pretty cool.

duckroll

Going through the Hunchback world with Sora and the Grid with Riku now. I like how the Reality Shifts are implemented, and it gives each world a different personality in the combat. What I'm really not feeling is the actual combat in the game. It really feels like a serious step back from BbS simply because of how limited the Commands feel.

In BbS there was a lot of freedom in combat in terms of how you set up your Command Deck and how it complements the Command Styles you can trigger and also your Finishing Moves. In KH3D the lack of Command levels and being able to merge them means that there's no real easy way to progress through your preference of play style.

Instead of using the type of Commands I prefer and leveling them up, and then combining them to create stronger Commands of the same type (melee, or magic, etc), I have to make more Dream Eaters, then molest them to change their Affinity types to open up more routes, and then spend Link Points to earn the Commands, etc. It's really contrived and I don't like it at all. Especially since you can only have 3 in your party at one time.

I like the idea of party members, and the Link Attacks are cool, but linking the Dream Eaters to earning Commands is a serious mistake imo. It just makes character growth so much more frustrating, and not knowing which Dream Eater provides what Commands means wasting items on creating some you might not even want to use at all.

The lack of Command Styles also means that how you set up your Command Deck is far less strategic. The Link meter being tied to scoring hits on the same enemy as your Dream Eater is a decent idea on concept, but when you factor in bad AI (some Dream Eaters are worse at this than others) it makes it really hard to actually build the bar based on your own skill, and it's just luck. When fighting a boss battle that can be really dumb when you simply cannot build the Link meter simply because one of your Dream Eaters decided to go hump a wall in the corner instead of attacking.

Using the environment to pull off moves is a great idea on paper as well, but it seems far less optimal in the actual game because of how fast the action is. With everything moving around so quickly and the camera going all over the place, it's rare that I ever really care what I'm specifically targeting with the Flowmotion button. It makes more sense to just dash into a wall and mash attack, rather than try to perform something elegant.

I really don't understand why they decided to ditch all the sub-systems in BbS which made the game's combat and progression REALLY addictive and fun. Instead they left the base Command Deck system, and added all this other garbage which just isn't as good. Even Re:Coded had the Command Charge and Finishing Moves. :(

Goddamnit. >_<

I really don't understand why they decided to ditch all the sub-systems in BbS which made the game's combat and progression REALLY addictive and fun. Instead they left the base Command Deck system, and added all this other garbage which just isn't as good. Even Re:Coded had the Command Charge and Finishing Moves. :(

Finishing Moves and combat melding to be added in DDD Final Mix!

I'm fine with it. I like it this way instead of having to start from the beginning with each guy over and over again.

I definitely prefer the simultaneity of gameplay, and it feels less of a mountain to get into the mood to start all over again. I put 2-3 months between each character playthrough in BBS because of the way they did it.

I have the same excuse except I was playing it straight through. So having to go through the same worlds 3 times in a row but in a different order got old fast. That's why I'm loving having to be forced to switched back and forth and see the game's story from both POV's at the same time.

While some may say it's a stupid feature, I think it's pretty interesting at least.

I have the same excuse except I was playing it straight through. So having to go through the same worlds 3 times in a row but in a different order got old fast. That's why I'm loving having to be forced to switched back and forth and see the game's story from both POV's at the same time.

While some may say it's a stupid feature, I think it's pretty interesting at least.

While I can see that point, I'd have much rather they were preset drops depending on the story, with story being broken up into 15-20min chunks (The idea I think behind of the Drop system is to build it around a portable system, can play a drop within a bus journey etc). rather than breaking the flow of the story or indeed "Middle of a boss fight and didn't realise how long it would take? DROP!" with randomised Drops.

What is the difference between a D rank dream eater an a S rank?. Does it matter when it comes to the commands you get?.

Everything I've read and experienced in the game seem to point to the rank just relating to the stats your Dream Eater has.

duckroll

From what I heard, the Japanese version was even worse with regards to the Drop system. Apparently if you Drop during a boss fight, when you come back, you have the exact same amount of health you did when you dropped, but the boss is restored to full health. Lol. They clearly didn't think it all through before shipping.

3D effect seems to vary a lot.

In the first parts of the game I just cranked it up to max and it was still perfect. I just started Pinocchio's world with Riku, and the 3D effect can very between good and bad even in sequential shots. Sometimes, the ghosting is so bad I have to put the 3D slider as low as possible without switching to 2D.

I beat The Grid with Riku earlier and man, is the boss so sturdy. I was barely putting a dent on it, and the fight lasted 20-30 mins. I REALLY hate it when I keep on accidentally starting Flomo on the sides when the boss drops the shield, which happens rarely.

duckroll

I can't even use 3D most of the time. I like to play on my bed at night with my glasses off. But my eyesight is really bad, so I'm usually pretty close to the screen. Apparently the 3D effect needs to be viewed from at least a certain distance away, so I can only really see the effect right with my glasses on. Meh.

Seda

Is the camera "worse" than KH1.

I mean, I never had a problem with the KH1 camera, but all the complaints are making me wonder if I will have problems here.

duckroll

Is the camera "worse" than KH1.

I mean, I never had a problem with the KH1 camera, but all the complaints are making me wonder if I will have problems here.

I don't really have problems with the camera movement so far, other than in the heat of battle (where it doesn't really matter other than making the game less tactical since you have enough options to just spam and get out of the situation usually). The problem is with the main design of the camera itself. It feels a bit too close to the characters, probably because they want to show off more graphical detail, but in doing so there is less screen real estate to show off the environment at times, making it hard to determine where things are or where to go next. Sometimes you might not even know that there's a higher level because the camera cuts off before the ledge is shown when you're standing next to a wall. Stuff like that is a little annoying.

Flip Rush is pretty fun! Not quite as good as the Command Board in BbS, but not a bad minigame at all. I hope there are lots more tournaments to unlock later on!

Yeah, it's neat, but no Command Board. The Command Board was just so addicting when I was playing through BBS the first time, and there isn't really anything on par with it in this game. Flick Rush is becoming more fun as I get the hang of the timing and everything, though.

Top Bottom