• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Nohar

I can't stop listening to the normal/battle theme in The Country of the Musketeers.
TOO GOOD.

So, so true <3

Soooo, I just reached the world right after Fantasia and Land of Musketeers... Here come the
mind screw. This is not going to end well for the protagonists at this rate.
The battle theme of this world with Riku is just grandiose.

Gradivus

As someone on YT comments figured out, this game confirmed that
Xemnas's element is tall buildings instead of nothingness.

I nostalgiagasmd pretty hard when this started to play in Fantasia world . This and Musketeers were the best Disney worlds imo. I'm sad to say Hunchback was worst considering my expectations.

Hunchback was pretty boring, Musketeers was the best for me (even know I had not since that animation beforehand to know anything about it). Fantasia was great due to the music :p.

I'm in the middle of the The Grid and I already love 3D's selection of worlds more than BBS's. Both The Grid and La Cité des Cloches just ooze style and atmosphere. Incredible music as well.

One thing that bothers me that I may have missed:
At first I was indeed thinking that MX would be back like hinted at in Coded, but the one in DDD seems to be the original MX from BBS just time traveling. It doesn't even make sense (what does?) that it would be him coming back and not Terranort. And Terranort wasn't even in the game so who knows if he is back or not. If its MX who really is back then what the fuck happened to Terra. AND if MX got back cause Terranort didn't would that make Eraqus come back too since his heart was in Terranort? My head hurts ;_;.

And now its supposed to be a big deal that Kairi is able to get a keyblade? She used one in KH2 when Riku pulled it out of his ass. Who knows what the hell is up with that.

prwxv3

trying to get the last few special link portals is infuriating. Anyone else get the the giraffe special dream eater in traverse town.

Zomba13

At first I was indeed thinking that MX would be back like hinted at in Coded, but the one in DDD seems to be the original MX from BBS just time traveling. It doesn't even make sense (what does?) that it would be him coming back and not Terranort. And Terranort wasn't even in the game so who knows if he is back or not. If its MX who really is back then what the fuck happened to Terra. AND if MX got back cause Terranort didn't would that make Eraqus come back too since his heart was in Terranort? My head hurts ;_;.

And now its supposed to be a big deal that Kairi is able to get a keyblade? She used one in KH2 when Riku pulled it out of his ass. Who knows what the hell is up with that.

The MX at the end was the 'most recent' Version. He was the one that came out when Ansem SOD and Xemnas died and recombined (which I assume freed up Terra's body meaning he can now wakeup).

I think anyway.

The MX at the end was the 'most recent' Version. He was the one that came out when Ansem SOD and Xemnas died and recombined (which I assume freed up Terra's body meaning he can now wakeup).

I think anyway.

Thats how I guess it is but it doesn't make a lick of sense that its old MX back and not Terranort that originally made Xemnas and Ansem. For all I know MX body was destroyed or rotting at Keyblade graveyard. And Terra shouldn't be back since MX said that he had 2 of the keyblade wielders meaning Terra and Sora at the time before Lea came to the rescue.

Riku has had a keyblade since KH1

Thats how I guess it is but it doesn't make a lick of sense that its old MX back and not Terranort that originally made Xemnas and Ansem. For all I know MX body was destroyed or rotting at Keyblade graveyard. And Terra shouldn't be back since MX said that he had 2 of the keyblade wielders meaning Terra and Sora at the time before Lea came to the rescue.

Yeah, you'd think Terranort would be the one to be revived considering he was the Xehanort entity that split himself in two in the first place, but that's KH logic for you.

Terra probably did come back separately from MX, but I'm guessing that he still has a degree of control over anyone who's ever served as his vessel, so Terra's probably an unwilling member of his new Org. XIII.

I'm stuck in the grid with
Riku's boss. He kills me way too easily and too fast, and I deal little damage at level 14. Am I under powered ?
Yeah, you might want to level up a bit to Level 16 or so.

Sometimes you might not even know that there's a higher level because the camera cuts off before the ledge is shown when you're standing next to a wall. Stuff like that is a little annoying.

I never have problem for path to follow for the story. But I had problems to localize secret chests and the like, which is actually good because it adds a further level of exploration, by moving the camera and look around.

I'm not very far, but I loved The Grid.

Yeah, The Grid is awesome. I just finished it with both characters, and I really enjoyed the area. So much fun to explore, and the flowmotion was great in that area.

I'm stuck in the grid with
Riku's boss. He kills me way too easily and too fast, and I deal little damage at level 14. Am I under powered ?

Yeah, I think you might be underleveled.
I beat him at Level 16, so you might want to level up slightly. Also make sure not to be in flowmotion when he's spinning on his side.

Terra probably did come back separately from MX, but I'm guessing that he still has a degree of control over anyone who's ever served as his vessel, so Terra's probably an unwilling member of his new Org. XIII.
That is possible but even that is stupid to think he'd be still under MX infulence concidering that it's both Eraqus and Terras heart in there and no more Xehanort unless he has him in some coma state or something like Sora.

Nohar

So, both my characters are level 45 (Proud mode). I'm planning to keep them at this level for now, because overall the game is quite easy, despite the dream eaters of the 7th world which are quite troublesome sometimes. Hopefully, some command attacks are just that powerful and help me to clean the aeras with ease (gosh, "Pluie de météores"/"Meteor rain" is awesome).

I also unlocked Dark Aura for Riku, but it isn't as powerful as I thought it would be... And let's just say that while I used it, there was that one time where Riku fell under the ground, and was caught in a loop of eternal falling... I had to re-start the game :x (hopefully, I saved 5 minutes earlier, I was lucky I guess).

That is possible but even that is stupid to think he'd be still under MX infulence concidering that it's both Eraqus and Terras heart in there and no more Xehanort unless he has him in some coma state or something like Sora.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was in the same state Sora was in. Either way, it's still pretty stupid.

I also unlocked Dark Aura for Riku, but it isn't as powerful as I thought it would be... And let's just say that while I used it, there was that one time where Riku fell under the ground, and was caught in a loop of eternal falling... I had to re-start the game :x (hopefully, I saved 5 minutes earlier, I was lucky I guess).

I flowmotioned right through a wall a few times yesterday. This is pretty much the only KH where I've had glitches like this happen.

I'm just going to assume that the game's shorter dev time (relative to other entries in the series) is the reason why the game doesn't seem as polished as it should.

Well, I lied. I was committed to using Drop-Me-Nots to complete Worlds with each character in one go, but I decided to just play through the game normally. For the most part, I don't move on to the next World until both characters are done.

I just finished The Grid with both characters, but I've elected to stay to find more treasure. This was the only time I've used Drop-Me-Nots so far. It's frustrating to switch characters when you're looking for a chest specific to one character.

I really like the Dream Eaters, but I definitely miss Shotlocks. Command Styles are also superior to Riku's Spirit Links.

SoulUnison

Banned
Finishing Moves and combat melding to be added in DDD Final Mix!

I'm a consumer whore, especially for this series, but I think I would actually buy a DDD Final Mix if they added back in Command Fusion and Finishers and the like.

BBS had so many FANTASTIC little idea that I just completely ate up. You could RENAME your finishers! That's the kind of customization I can't get enough of in games, and I was hoping it'd only get more in-depth as the series went forward, not the big step back in sub-systems that is DDD.

I'm having a lot of fun with this game, but it's weird that they cancelled "Birth by Sleep 2" to make this, and then didn't make a game of the same scope. I was chomping at the bit waiting for DDD to come out, but I would have been ok with 6 months more development to bring it up to BBS's level.

DjRoomba

Banned
I am very confused about the premise of this series and what genre exactly the game is. Looks like a kids game youre all pretending isnt

I'm not sure anyone would argue it's not a kids game. It is definitely a game for kids.

Unless you are suggesting adults cannot enjoy Disney or colour I don't think that line of thinking is in any way accurate. What isn't a kids game?

This game is for whoever enjoys it.

Eusis

Who the heck here thinks it's not a kids game? You must be a bit delusional lol
Whoever reads the core plotline and wonders how the hell a kid's supposed to follow that crap. I guess it loops around so that only they could just enjoy the game without going "what is this mess?"

Aeana

Whoever reads the core plotline and wonders how the hell a kid's supposed to follow that crap. I guess it loops around so that only they could just enjoy the game without going "what is this mess?"

Kids are pretty good at following that sort of thing, judging by its prevalence in the shounen market.

Eusis

Kids are pretty good at following that sort of thing, judging by its prevalence in the shounen market.
Admittedly I may be thinking more young, YOUNG kids, like 6 or 7. I'm guessing any older isn't a big deal, nevermind the kids who got into KH1 and are undoubtedly teenagers now, if not older (damn).

And to be honest, after reading a wiki it doesn't seem THAT hard to follow, albeit messy as hell.

Admittedly I may be thinking more young, YOUNG kids, like 6 or 7. I'm guessing any older isn't a big deal, nevermind the kids who got into KH1 and are undoubtedly teenagers now, if not older (damn).

And to be honest, after reading a wiki it doesn't seem THAT hard to follow, albeit messy as hell.

Most KH games have rating for ages 10 and up :3. Adult stuff man.

Now that I think of it
Xigbars sniper rifle was actually uncensored in this one. Whats up with that.

If 'kids game' means 'game that is enjoyed by kids', then yes, Kingdom Hearts is a kids game. If it means 'made only for kids', then that's not really the case. It's a series that can be enjoyed by people of all ages, with kids making up a core part of the target audience. I would say that Kingdom Hearts is a 'kids game' in the same sense that Pokemon or Mario are 'kids games'.

Just bought 358/2 Days, re-Coded and 3D. Never played any Kingdom Hearts except for the first one but I didn't finish it. I like them so far. :)

duckroll

If 'kids game' means 'game that is enjoyed by kids', then yes, Kingdom Hearts is a kids game. If it means 'made only for kids', then that's not really the case. It's a series that can be enjoyed by people of all ages, with kids making up a core part of the target audience. I would say that Kingdom Hearts is a 'kids game' in the same sense that Pokemon or Mario are 'kids games'.

I don't really think kids make up a core or even majority part of the audience anymore though, especially in Japan. It might still be true in the US because of the Disney appeal, but most of those kids/parents are probably Disney fans instead of specifically KH fans.

I don't really think KH games are made specifically for "all ages" either, because a lot of the appeal is narrative based and very biased towards a teen audience in terms of character and story writing. At this point, I would say KH is as much an "all ages" series as Twilight and Hunger Games. :p

I preferred it over Re:Coded. Struggled to get through Re:Coded :\

I can't really comment on that cause Coded is only game in the series that I haven't played but people have been telling that the gameplay is pretty fun and since it is based on BBS I have a hard time imagining it being worse than days.

I'm really interested to hear if Duckroll still thinks KH2 has the stupidest plot after finishing this one lol.

duckroll

I can't really comment on that cause Coded is only game in the series that I haven't played but people have been telling that the gameplay is pretty fun and since it is based on BBS I have a hard time imagining it being worse than days.

Re:Coded is a very short game, and recycles the KH1 worlds for the 400th time. The mechanics are good, the game is fun, and there is a lot of variety because each world has a different sort of main minigame ranging from rail shooter, turn based RPG, etc. Some are better than others. I think the people who dislike it just feel that it's a waste of money even if its "fun", because it's short and adds nothing to the overall story in the series. I don't think there are any new characters or bosses either.

gosox333

Finally got my game.

I've been messing with dream eaters, and I can't help but feel that if they let us keep every ability we got from each dream eater permanently, then I wouldn't have any problems with this dream eater thing. Just thinking that I'm gonna lose most of my hard earned abilities if I switch a guy out makes me not want to try others...

botty

Banned
I'm really interested to hear if Duckroll still thinks KH2 has the stupidest plot after finishing this one lol.

Duckroll found BbS's plot to be decent, so it really is up in the air. Although, I am not sure if anyone can swallow the last hour of this game, without gagging a bit.

Duckroll found BbS's plot to be decent, so it really is up in the air. Although, I am not sure if anyone can swallow the last hour of this game, without gagging a bit.

IMO BBS had way, wayyyy better story than this one. Before playing this game I was sure it would be just preparing for KH3. Xehanort returning, rescuing Ven or something while having main cast becoming keyblade masters and wrapping it up for one simple final clash for KH3. Instead this one just complicates things even more and has so many things crapped to the last few hours like you said.

Only thing I can think of that could possibly make the plot stupider would be
alternate time lines
and honestly I'm afraid Nomura might even go there if he needs more filler.

Thoraxes

Finally got my game.

I've been messing with dream eaters, and I can't help but feel that if they let us keep every ability we got from each dream eater permanently, then I wouldn't have any problems with this dream eater thing. Just thinking that I'm gonna lose most of my hard earned abilities if I switch a guy out makes me not want to try others...

They do, just not the passive abilities.

Like, I got Curaga and Cura from my Dog-bro, but I don't have him in my team.

botty

Banned
IMO BBS had way, wayyyy better story than this one.

Re:Coded's story was better than this one. In terms of construction, at least.
Do we even know how Sora and Riku entered the dream realm? I don't remember seeing it. Nor do we know how the Xehanort's got there.

Thoraxes

Re:Coded's story was better than this one. In terms of construction, at least.
Do we even know how Sora and Riku entered the dream realm? I don't remember seeing it. Nor do we know how the Xehanort's got there.

Yen Sid states in in one of the beginning cutscenes, if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom