• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Mr. Fix

I think the implication is that Isa/Saix and Lea/Axel were unwilling subjects to the heartless experiments that the apprentices + Xehanort were conducting. KHII's journal says that the apprentices kidnapped residents of Radiant Garden to use for their experiments, and in BBS, Lea and Isa were seen trying to sneak into the labs during the credits.

Thanks for the explanation. Now how about
where MX and the 12 darknesses disappeared off to at the end? If this whole thing's in a dream, then does that mean they haven't actually gathered?

prwxv3

I think it's a matter of scale and the lack of expansion. When KH2 came out, it was bigger, prettier, and more detailed compared to KH1 in every possible way. This set a sort of expectation on the direction the series would grow in terms of worlds and presentation.

But now we're here 7 years later, and it hasn't been the case. The entries immediately after KH2 felt smaller, emptier, and more compartmentalized. So even though KH3D has more or less returned to the same world size as KH2 more or less, it feels worse off because there's been no real progress in growth. The fact that there are only 7 worlds in KH3D, and that the story seems to still be stuck in filler they're making up to prolong the story makes the experience feel even more lacking at this point.

That's how I feel the direction of the series has taken a hit. It's not just about size, but it's just that it feels the series is stuck in a loop without moving forward now.

This. It blew my mind when there were world revisits in KH2 after completing them one time. We just need the scale and presentation of KH2 (with a far larger ratio of brand new interesting disney worlds to old ones) with the amazing gameplay mechanics of BBS for KH3 and the game would be amazing.

where MX and the 12 darknesses disappeared off to at the end? If this whole thing's in a dream, then does that mean they haven't actually gathered?

They returned to their original times. If MX is in the present then he just got out of the Sleep World. I guess the gathering works in sleeping worlds and normal worlds. And its actually MX and 11 darknesess ;)

botty

Banned

That whole section of the game is so messy and confusing, but from what I gather they went back to their own timelines. Besides, MX, Braig, and Isa.

Mr. Fix

Yeah, that confuses me. He'd need to gather the 11, or 9 minus Braig and Isa, all over again in the real world then.

Yeah, that confuses me. He'd need to gather the 11, or 9 minus Braig and Isa, all over again in the real world then.

From what I understand, everything after the Ansem boss fight takes place in the real world. Apparently, that world teeters between dreaming and reality ever since Sora and Riku wrecked the place in KHII. I assume they'll just find some haphazard way to gather them together in a future game.

It's how Mickey and the others are able to go there and help bail Sora out.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So I just started playing the first game on PS2, and god it moves slow. TOO MANY FETCH QUESTS.

Still, I'm going to try and plow through it, because I REALLY want to play the 3DS game. Looks amazing.

So I just started playing the first game on PS2, and god it moves slow. TOO MANY FETCH QUESTS.

Still, I'm going to try and plow through it, because I REALLY want to play the 3DS game. Looks amazing.

Push through. Once you are through the first section, you never have to do that sort of thing again.

prwxv3

Though the OST is pretty amazing I am pretty sad the Rowdy Rumble did not return. That has to be one of my favorite battle themes of all time.

Isa and Braig aren't part of the thirteen, Xigbar and Saix are. I think that means they're from the past, not the present. It also means Braig and Isa could be part of the thirteen as well.

Yep. when you get to KH2 it has a worse opening but after that it becomes god tier.

Atl002.jpg

gosox333

Huh, after about 2 or so hours of grinding dream eaters for abilities, I gotta say, I'm not as down on this as I was when I first started playing. There are tons more permanent abilities than I went into the game thinking there were, and that fear was my biggest problem I had before I started playing.

Just gotta learn to love the minigames and Nintendreameaters, I guess. I don't hate them, so maybe they'll grow on me...

Isa and Braig aren't part of the thirteen, Xigbar and Saix are. I think that means they're from the past, not the present. It also means Braig and Isa could be part of the thirteen as well.

I think Xigbar and Saïx are both from the present. In the intro Ansem releases Braig's heart, so he's a Nobody again. I assume he did the same to Isa.

Whle looking through the character reports after finishing the game I found an alternative model I can't remember being used.
There are two Naminés, I assume one's the CoM version and one's the KH2 version, but I can only remember her being in this game once.

While KH:3D may not be my favorite handheld KH game, it's still pretty good so far.

I'm about 24 hrs in and I still can't wrap my head around the ability system. Its overly complicated. I work with these sprits to get an ability like HP Boost and when I unlock it and switch out spirits, I lose the boost. Somehow I've permently unlocked two of the boosts but the rest just dont wanna get unlocked for good.

Although I see what they were trying to do with the pet system, it seems more like Nomura is trying to distance KH from disney (If that's possible at all) because our of the last 5 games, you haven't been able to have a disney character on your team for more than a mission or two. I hope KH3/BBS vol 2 has a similar system to BBS cause this spirit thing gets tired really fast.

DjRoomba

Banned
Now I am interested. How exactly does this game look like ''kids game'' if Mario doesn't?

Unsure. Somewhat indefinable quality I guess. Though I do know that this sort of way-too-complex, fantasy, kid romance kinda plot is far more kid-friendly than teen/adult friendly. Also gameplay/level design seems extremely simple, so there's that.

StuBurns

Banned
This one does look more kiddy than the others to me. I think it's just the enemy designs, they're really strange.

Not that it bothers me, can't wait.

Nohar

So... Finished KH:3D yesterday (a few hours ago in fact, then I went to sleep).

Errrr... Ending spoilers, including secret ending:

Ok. The part in which Riku became a Dream eater in Sora's dreams, à la Inception style, that part I could get it. It wasn't too far-stretched.
But that doesn't answer the questions as why there were together at Destiny island as their young selves (ie. they were both dreaming at that point), where they supposedly encounter young Xehanort ("thank you" game for being composed of flashbacks and missing scenes), and that would be when Riku entered Sora's dreams. At that point, before Ursula's fight, shouldn't Riku already be in inception mode ? Meh.
All that, I could take.

But freakin' time travel ? Are you kidding me ? Come on... If at least there was some lampshade hanging, I "could" have accepted it, but no, this won't do.
And, no, bonus bosses who are only available in the Final Mix versions don't count.
On that note, Young Xehanort boss battle was awesome, but I digress.

So, let's recap: there are 7 lights and 13 darknesses which are required in order to forge the x-blade which will allow MX to reach Kingdom Hearts, the "original" one (since there are more than one Kingdom Hearts... God, my head hurts).
The 7 princesses of Light can be used to fulfill that objective (and, back in KH1, Ansem did create a keyblade which could open people's hearts thanks to them), but 7 keyblades wielders of Light can also do the trick, am I correct ? That's why Yen Sid is gathering them, in order to face the 13 darknesses (but doesn't that only indirectly help MX to fulfill his plans ?).
I wonder if the 3rd game will allow to play different protagonists... So, we have :
- Sora, though there is a trick : he's also the 13th receptacle of darkness (oh boy). Unless MX finds someone else fitted for the job, I highly doubt Sora's goind to be OK in KH3's final hours. Will be playable in KH3 (it's a given).
- Riku, now Keyblade Master (let's be honest : after everything he went through, he deserves it, let the dog have his bone). Nearly immune to darkness corrupting effects. All in all, badass. Probability of being playable in KH3 : High, I guess.
- Kairi, who also is a princess of light. Playable in KH3 : probable. I mean, Yen Sid didn't call her for nothing. She'll face Xehanort along with her friends.
- Ventus, who is still comatose (come on, I was hoping we would FINALLY awaking him in 3D, I thought for months the whole purpose of the game was that). Playable in KH3 : Unknow. He needs to be awakened first, which leads me to...
- Lea : well, I didn't really expect this. Talk about a breakout character. I can guess that if there is someone who will retrieve Ven's body, it's him. But since Ven is hidden in a room in Castle Oblivion, no one expect the creator of this world can enter it. Playable in KH3 : Unknown. I guess I can vision him as a support character, not a playable one. But, well, if when scans of KH3 will be released we see him with a new outfit suitable of heroes, I guess we can expect this.
- Aqua : in order to rescue Ven, she needs to be rescued first (at least, that's what I think : if Xemnas was unable to locate him during KH2:FM, her presence may be mandatory in order to access Ven's room). Playable in KH3 : Unknow, but she has to be. Come on, it's MASTER Aqua, I like this gal.
- Mickey : ... and in order to rescue Aqua, who's better than Mickey, who allegedly already went to the realm of darkness. To be honest, I don't think he will be playable, since he's probably the most powerful keyblade wielder of KH world at this point (I mean, come on, Stop Z/Stopza ? Badass).

And now we have 13 Xehanort... Come on... >.> Oh well :
- MX
- No-heart "Ansem"
- Nobody "Xemnas" (how come they still exist ? MX is recomposed, they shouldn't exist anymore...)
- Young Xehanort, aka Terranort
- Braig
- Isa
- 6 unknown bodies
- Potentially Sora

The scene was supposed to happen in the real world/present, but for unknown reasons, MX only had this one opportunity to make Sora his receptacle... Will the 4 Xehanort (Master, No-Heart, Nobody and Young) still exist after that ? Because, come on, it makes no sense. I just wish that Nomura and co. don't rewrite the rules of their universe at every game release.
Who are the others candidates ?
- Possessed Riku from KH1. He was possessed by No-heart Ansem, but does that possession count as a "body" ? That's a little far-stretched.
- Xion. Technically, she's Sora, she could be used as a receptacle if she happened to come back. Though, like nobodies, I guess we can say she developped a heart of her own. The thing is : does that heart melded with Sora's, or does she joined the prison alongside Ven ? I liked her character, so I hope she will come back in KH3 for more than 2 scenes.

Talking about rewritting rules, I could also talk about the complete retcon about nobodies who don't have hearts... But, oddly, I'm okay with that one.

And I almost forgot the scene at Destiny Island, in which Ansem the Wise reveals that he hid data inside Sora during Sora's sleep in KH:CoM/KH2... Gah.

Gosh, talk about mindscrew.

It bums me out that there is expandable storage on the 3DS and only 2 save slots. I love saving before big events and replaying them and stuff.

I understand when saves a limited due to no expandable storage or games like Pokemon where having one makes sense, but for a game like KH it is frustrating.

But freakin' time travel ? Are you kidding me ? Come on... If at least there was some lampshade hanging, I "could" have accepted it, but no, this won't do.
And, no, bonus bosses who are only available in the Final Mix versions don't count.

Well, to be fair, that particular bonus fight did make it outside of Japan for once, so it's not completely out of left field. That doesn't make the whole thing any less stupid, though.

(but doesn't that only indirectly help MX to fulfill his plans ?).

It's a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. By assembling seven lights, they're playing right into Xehanort's hand, but if they do nothing, Xehanort's just going to go after the seven princesses anyway. They might as well take the defensive option and assemble them as soon as possible.

And now we have 13 Xehanort... Come on... >.> Oh well :
- MX
- No-heart "Ansem"
- Nobody "Xemnas" (how come they still exist ? MX is recomposed, they shouldn't exist anymore...)
- Young Xehanort, aka Terranort
- Braig
- Isa
- 6 unknown bodies
- Potentially Sora

Young Xehanort's actually a completely separate entity from Terranort. (He's literally just a teenaged Xehanort flung forward into the future.) Master Xehanort does practically confirm that Terra is in his grasp and is part of the 13, though, so he's most likely one of the hooded figures in that one scene. As for Ansem and Xemnas, it's time travel. On his way to the future, Young Xehanort picked them up from points in time before Sora beat them in their respective games.

Talking about rewritting rules, I could also talk about the complete retcon about nobodies who don't have hearts... But, oddly, I'm okay with that one.

This one doesn't bother me as much because they've kinda played around with that idea for a few games. (Axel switching sides in KHII, the entirety of 358/2 Days...)

The more I try to make sense of this game, the stupider it sounds. Why do I keep doing this to myself? :/

Nohar

So,
Young Xehanort =/= Terranort... @_@ I would have liked that those two were a little more different from eachother, to avoid confusion...

Famassu

So,
Young Xehanort =/= Terranort... @_@ I would have liked that those two were a little more different from eachother, to avoid confusion...
They look nothing alike. Terranort is like Terra, but with white hair, Young Xehanort looks more Sora & Riku's age.

Nohar

Well, it may be my honest mistake, but their character models and hairstyle are quite similar (though, after a second glance, their hairstyles are indeed differents, and of course their skin color isn't the same).

And now, for VERY wild speculation :
Mickey will be the 13th receptacle. His shoes sport the X mark. Plus, he wields a keyblade from the realm of darkness (the only character in the while serie to do so, as far as I know). Also, Master Xehanort during 3D's cutscene showed some respect to him, almost marking him as an equal. What better receptacle there is for Xehanort than his antithesis ?

Plus, a possessed Mickey Mouse as the final boss of the Xehanort saga ? Yes please. It would be perfect for a tragic battle.

@Mario007: That may be a good idea.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
After reading the black bars not only do I not feel spoiled about DDD, I think they're retroactively erased my knowledge of the previous games in the series.

Quick question after doing some searching and not finding much.

Can you redo Link Portals?

I failed a few and will restart from my save if you cannot.

Famassu

Quick question after doing some searching and not finding much.

Can you redo Link Portals?

I failed a few and will restart from my save if you cannot.
I haven't redone them myself yet, but I'm pretty sure you can redo them, perhaps from the world selection menu.

Ok. The part in which Riku became a Dream eater in Sora's dreams, à la Inception style, that part I could get it. It wasn't too far-stretched.
But that doesn't answer the questions as why there were together at Destiny island as their young selves (ie. they were both dreaming at that point), where they supposedly encounter young Xehanort ("thank you" game for being composed of flashbacks and missing scenes), and that would be when Riku entered Sora's dreams. At that point, before Ursula's fight, shouldn't Riku already be in inception mode ? Meh.
All that, I could take.

Wasn't Destiny Island a part of the Mark of Mastery exam? As why they look like their younger counterpart, probably Square Enix did not want to create gameplay model for their old aspect...

Mario007

Wasn't Destiny Island a part of the Mark of Mastery exam? As why they look like their younger counterpart, probably Square Enix did not want to create gameplay model for their old aspect...

They traveled back in time back to the time when Destiny Islands fell into sleep so that they could go into the dream worlds too

I see many people saying that Lea is the remaining keywielder of light, but what about Kairi?, isn't hinted in the secret movie?. I don't see anything that goes against she not being the seventh... well maybe the fact that she is also a princess.

Mario007

I see many people saying that Lea is the remaining keywielder of light, but what about Kairi?, isn't hinted in the secret movie?. I don't see anything that goes against she not being the seventh... well maybe the fact that she is also a princess.

Honestly I was set to believe Lea to be the final light until the secret ending so I don't know what's happening anymore. Though MX does say that he still has Terra so that would give one slot of light free to Kairi and one to Lea.

botty

Banned
So,

No, he isn't.

Terranort was split into Ansem and Xemnas. Young Xehanort is the young version of Master Xehanort, who has been taught time abilities from the time traveling Xehanort. It's a shame that there has been so much retcon in this game to explain why Xemnas and Ansem are suddenly working together. It also destroys the sorta ironic sadness that came with defeating Organization 13.

Nohar

@Mario007+rockman zx (spoil 3D ending - better be safe than sorry for those who could click on these by accident) :
Terra became a vessel for MX, and until proven otherwise, he will serve as one of the 13 darknesses. It's pretty obvious that he isn't a candidate able to fill the remaining last spot of the 7 lights. So Kairi enters the rooster, same for Lea.

Top Bottom