• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Gradivus

Question about an optional boss

What's needed to take out that Lord Kyroo? I met him in the Hunchback stage with Riku, but he runs away after awhile.

Question about an optional boss

What's needed to take out that Lord Kyroo? I met him in the Hunchback stage with Riku, but he runs away after awhile.

You can find him in other worlds with same HP he had when he escaped. I saw him at fantasia and pinocchio worlds.

botty

Banned
Yen Sid states in in one of the beginning cutscenes, if I remember correctly.

I understand that Yen Sid uses magic to send them into some kind of dream state (When they're at Destiny Islands. Then when they're in the water Sora/Riku unlock the keyhole to the Dream Realm. However, the story is so disjointed, it comes off confusing and as if it is missing scenes.

I love the graphics in this game. Still getting used to all the systems and controls. Just got to the Hunchback of Notre Dame level.
I really don't like the switching between characters.
Liking the dreameaters stuff a lot more than I thought I would.

Thoraxes

I understand that Yen Sid uses magic to send them into some kind of dream state (When they're at Destiny Islands. Then when they're in the water Sora/Riku unlock the keyhole to the Dream Realm. However, the story is so disjointed, it comes off confusing and as if it is missing scenes.

Oh, I understand what you're saying now. Yeah, I can see what you mean.

I'm on the final world with Riku after a long scene with Sora.

Gak! The instant you put time travel in any story. Things can get messed up, really fast. And they did. I...I honestly don't know what's going on now. All I know is that Sora's watching his past with this unamed guy that showed up a lot.

...Why do I have this weird omnious feeling that I'm going to end up having more questions than answers in my near future with this game?

DjRoomba

Banned
If 'kids game' means 'game that is enjoyed by kids', then yes, Kingdom Hearts is a kids game. If it means 'made only for kids', then that's not really the case. It's a series that can be enjoyed by people of all ages, with kids making up a core part of the target audience. I would say that Kingdom Hearts is a 'kids game' in the same sense that Pokemon or Mario are 'kids games'.

nahh Marios an everyone game. This really does look like a kids game

nahh Marios an everyone game. This really does look like a kids game

Now I am interested. How exactly does this game look like ''kids game'' if Mario doesn't?

Gak! The instant you put time travel in any story. Things can get messed up, really fast. And they did. I...I honestly don't know what's going on now. All I know is that Sora's watching his past with this unamed guy that showed up a lot.

...Why do I have this weird omnious feeling that I'm going to end up having more questions than answers in my near future with this game?

Oh just you wait! It gets worse! And
guy is actually semi introduced in BBS

Mr. Fix

Story's been ass for a while.

So many black bars. I can't wait to beat it so I can join in the mockery of another KH story!

Honestly as much as KH2 and spinoffs are ridiculed for confusing plot it's never really been too hard to understand. DDD is first time I actually had to pause a few times to start thinking what the fuck was going on.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This one does start getting crazy right as you finish the regular worlds.

I did at least enjoy all of them which isn't something I've ever said about any KH game. 1 came closest but Monstro counts and can die in a fire for that terrible platforming.

I am really disappointed about the camera though.

What's the easiest way to farm Link Points for Dream Eaters?

I'm at the end of the game, and not having Once More is kinda annoying...

Water barrel minigame seems to be the fastest way. Doesn't take too long and you can get a few hundred LP in 6-7 minutes.

Skelterwild and Flowbermeow has the Once More Ability, I believe.

botty

Banned
Honestly as much as KH2 and spinoffs are ridiculed for confusing plot it's never really been too hard to understand. DDD is first time I actually had to pause a few times to start thinking what the fuck was going on.

I agree with this notion. No matter how convoluted the story would get, I always had some kind of grasp on it. But now with
Time travel
it has basically becoming a parody of itself.

What's the easiest way to farm Link Points for Dream Eaters?

I'm at the end of the game, and not having Once More is kinda annoying...

grind in the last world for a bit, or go on a treasure hunt. You'll have like 300+ after about an hour. Or you could just play the balloon, or water minigame.

Mr. Fix

Feel pretty lifeless here too. Really big though

They're still relatively lifeless, but the design and scope are really a lot better, not to mention new.

I guess we can hope for a comeback in 3. This build-up better be executed properly, and on a huge scale. I wanna see it all come together in an "epic" fashion. Possibly letting us play as the others in several segments of the game.

I agree with this notion. No matter how convoluted the story would get, I always had some kind of grasp on it. But now with
Time travel
it has basically becoming a parody of itself.

Even better: the rules for time travel they made up make no friggin sense and it seems there are at least 3 different ways of time travel now (door in KH2, leaving body behind and whatever the fuck Xehanort uses). Seems like they have different rules for each type since YX still has his body. I'm so friggin lost with this game.

Mr. Fix

I just found out that
Terra is part of the 13 Darknesses? Does that make Axel one of the Lights then? I hope Xion ends up being one of the Darknesses. They can make it work... somehow.

I didn't mind how
it was used in KHII, because it had nothing to do with the main plot, and was really only a means to have a Steamboat Willie world.

But giving time travel to a character that was already complicated as it is? (And completely just making up the rules for it as they go along?) Yeah, that was an awful, awful idea.

I just found out that
Terra is part of the 13 Darknesses? Does that make Axel one of the Lights then? I hope Xion ends up being one of the Darknesses. They can make it work... somehow.

Xion deserves to be in a good game. Would love to see it work. One more shovel of bullshit to make it happen isn't going to hurt.

duckroll

I guess we can hope for a comeback in 3. This build-up better be executed properly, and on a huge scale. I wanna see it all come together in an "epic" fashion. Possibly letting us play as the others in several segments of the game.

To be honest, KH2 was pretty damn empty too. Lots of really big areas just like in KH3D, but no characters living in them. Remember Radiant Garden? Lol. I think in general we all have some idealized image of Disney worlds in our head which feel more populated than they really were.

To be honest, KH2 was pretty damn empty too. Lots of really big areas just like in KH3D, but no characters living in them. Remember Radiant Garden? Lol. I think in general we all have some idealized image of Disney worlds in our head which feel more populated than they really were.

Every KH game is pretty empty. Even the towns, which always feels weird. You usually have to enter houses or shops to find people. Only on the second world in KH3D, but it doesn't really feel different in that regard, and it will never come near the emptiness of Re: Chain of Memories.

I just found out that

My guess is
Sora, Ven, Kairi, Riku, Aqua, Mickey, Lea are the 7. Terra is definately on the other team as Terranort. Then there could be Vanitas taking Soras place. No idea who the rest of the 13 are. Young Riku could be one.

Mr. Fix

My memory's hazy, but that may actually be true. I don't know what it is, honestly. Something's off between the handhelds and the home versions. Could it be the FF characters? The whole 1000 heartless thing did make KH2 feel wider on the scale though.

Xion deserves to be in a good game. Would love to see it work. One more shovel of bullshit to make it happen isn't going to hurt.

Yep. It's all fan-service at this point.

My guess is
Sora, Ven, Kairi, Riku, Aqua, Mickey, Lea are the 7. Terra is definately on the other team as Terranort. Then there could be Vanitas taking Soras place. No idea who the rest of the 13 are.

Completely forgot about Vanitas. He needs to return too! Same with Terranort. Assuming Sora saves Ven and Aqua early, it'd be nice to control them and have them fight off some of the Darknesses.

duckroll

My memory's hazy, but that may actually be true. I don't know what it is, honestly. Something's off between the handhelds and the home versions. Could it be the FF characters? The whole 1000 heartless thing did make KH2 feel wider on the scale though.

I think it's a matter of scale and the lack of expansion. When KH2 came out, it was bigger, prettier, and more detailed compared to KH1 in every possible way. This set a sort of expectation on the direction the series would grow in terms of worlds and presentation.

But now we're here 7 years later, and it hasn't been the case. The entries immediately after KH2 felt smaller, emptier, and more compartmentalized. So even though KH3D has more or less returned to the same world size as KH2 more or less, it feels worse off because there's been no real progress in growth. The fact that there are only 7 worlds in KH3D, and that the story seems to still be stuck in filler they're making up to prolong the story makes the experience feel even more lacking at this point.

That's how I feel the direction of the series has taken a hit. It's not just about size, but it's just that it feels the series is stuck in a loop without moving forward now.

Does anyone else dislike Yen Sid? I think he's an annoying old coot that's actually not very smart.

Yen Sid is a complete troll. He seems to escape his own tower when Maleficent appears in KH2 and
doesn't concider Sora a master for some complete bullshit reason lol

Mr. Fix

I think it's a matter of scale and the lack of expansion. When KH2 came out, it was bigger, prettier, and more detailed compared to KH1 in every possible way. This set a sort of expectation on the direction the series would grow in terms of worlds and presentation.

But now we're here 7 years later, and it hasn't been the case. The entries immediately after KH2 felt smaller, emptier, and more compartmentalized. So even though KH3D has more or less returned to the same world size as KH2 more or less, it feels worse off because there's been no real progress in growth. The fact that there are only 7 worlds in KH3D, and that the story seems to still be stuck in filler they're making up to prolong the story makes the experience feel even more lacking at this point.

That's how I feel the direction of the series has taken a hit. It's not just about size, but it's just that it feels the series is stuck in a loop without moving forward now.

Well said. Story-wise, progression has felt a lot more slower. Rather than getting the whole amount of plot in one game, we're being fed quarters to KH3. KH3's gotta be huge then; it has the responsibility to wrap up/tie-in everything laid before it.

So how often are you guys playing with the 3D on? I found I had it on for the majority of the first 6 or 7 hours, but now I go back and forth. Always on at the beginning of a new world though.

i cant quite remember, but did riku replica die in KH COM? i dont think he did and i kept hoping he'd show up again in future KH games, also what happened with laraxene, marluxia, demyx, and luxord? Shouldn't they have been with axel's group in radiant garden? Or am i missing something?

i cant quite remember, but did riku replica die in KH COM? i dont think he did and i kept hoping he'd show up again in future KH games, also what happened with laraxene, marluxia, demyx, and luxord? Shouldn't they have been with axel's group in radiant garden? Or am i missing something?

Yes he died.
Marluxia and others didn't become nobodies at the same time/place as the original 6 members and probably aren't from Radiant Garden with the exception of Lea and Isa.

njean777

Well said. Story-wise, progression has felt a lot more slower. Rather than getting the whole amount of plot in one game, we're being fed quarters to KH3. KH3's gotta be huge then; it has the responsibility to wrap up/tie-in everything laid before it.

It wont, they will pull a Lost and still leave question unanswered.

Quick question: Is Traverse Town the only place you see TWEWY characters? Their story ended so quickly and I felt like it wasn't really over with.

Mr. Fix

Didn't Riku destroy the Replica in COM? After the campaign with Sora. Larxene, Marluxia, Demix and Luxord all joined sometime after the originals became nobodies. They weren't doing research there originally. Not sure why Axel was in the lab there.

*Yep, Napalm's got it.

botty

Banned
Quick question: Is Traverse Town the only place you see TWEWY characters? Their story ended so quickly and I felt like it wasn't really over with.

Yep

I dont understand why he decided on this whole parallel split world bullshit instead of rashoman style of birth by sleep.

Did you beat the game yet? Cause if you did
One world is the dream realm, and the other is Sora's dream. Think Inception.

Not sure why Axel was in the lab there.

I think the implication is that Isa/Saix and Lea/Axel were unwilling subjects to the heartless experiments that the apprentices + Xehanort were conducting. KHII's journal says that the apprentices kidnapped residents of Radiant Garden to use for their experiments, and in BBS, Lea and Isa were seen trying to sneak into the labs during the credits.

njean777

Wow, can somebody explain to me with what the heck was going on with them?
I have no clue why they were even there. I remember something about Joshua sending them to separate worlds...or something along those lines...

Did you beat the game yet? Cause if you did
One world is the dream realm, and the other is Sora's dream. Think Inception.
No Im in muskateer world.

I dont even know what to say to that given everything Ive seen so far.

Though it does explain why
rikus worlds have been following the movie plots more

botty

Banned
Wow, can somebody explain to me with what the heck was going on with them?
I have no clue why they were even there. I remember something about Joshua sending them to separate worlds...or something along those lines...

I don't think it is ever fully explained why they are there. Joshua, who is basically
god
, is trying to help them get back to Shibuya... because their souls are trapped in traverse town. So I would assume that when Shibuya possibly fell to darkness, the souls of the TWEWY cast was sent there.

Which kinda makes sense if you can recall the plot of TWEWY.

I love how different Prankster's Paradise is for Sora and Riku. It was a definite improvement after largely visiting the same basic areas for the first few worlds. The world definitely had a great sense of scale, even if the boss fights were kind of easy. Sora's version was kind of weird. I died several times against regular enemies, but then beat the boss on my first attempt.

I'm still a bit confused as to what exactly I was doing there.
Was I dropping Monstro on top the boss? The bubble just popped before I could even discern what I was supposed to be doing.

Famassu

I'm warming up to the Dream Eater growing now that I know how to get LP efficiently. In the end, it's really not that time consuming. You can easily get, like, 40-70LPs in (less than) a minute for each three DEs you have in your party and especially the lower-class DEs level up really fast later on in the game. And I have to now disagree with Duckroll's "it doesn't support your combat style" criticism. There are certainly Dream Eaters that support certain kind of character builds (i.e. the owl gives you some stronger spells + magic boosts & stuff).

Now I definitely like 3D more as a game than BBS, even though I still prefer BBS's leveling up & melding of commands. The combat is just so vastly superior, the levels are fun to explore (I don't feel they are that empty, since Nightmares pop up everywhere, though it would've been nice to have at least an area or two with a couple of NPCs), the graphics are a step better and the OST is perhaps the best one in a KH game yet.

Top Bottom