• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

I had some problems with Brawlamari, but once you get the pattern down, it's easy. But no lie, it took me awhile to figure out things like hiding behind the rocks during the second phase, and how to dodge the giant circle shield

That rock thing confused me for the longest time, because I was so close from dodging the first wave that I couldn't even see any rocks. It just frustrated me immensely up until that point.

Mostly because Dive Mode is ridiculous, and returning to the 'have to complete a shitty minigame to progress to new worlds' is a big step back after Birth by Sleep.

This is just how the Kingdom Hearts games are. It is much cheaper to hire a Guy Who Sounds Like Jeff Bridges than to hire Jeff Bridges. Same with the Pirates of the Caribbean world in KH2.

At first it seems odd, but it doesn't really bother me.

There are some exceptions though. Jim Cummings isn't exactly cheap but they still got him.

duckroll

About 10 hours in now. Sora completed Traverse Town and Notre Dame, he's in Prankster's Paradise now. Riku completed Traverse Town and The Grid, and he's back in Traverse Town playing Flick Rush because I love minigames.

After creating a bunch of Dream Eaters and using all the AR Cards, and just getting more Commands and playing with the Deck, combat definitely feels a bit better now. I'm still not a fan of the pace of combat at all, where there's no command charging, so you're not building up to better attacks like in BbS. I feel that really hurts the flow of the game at times.

Getting the Counter Aura in The Grid made playing the stage A LOT more fun with Riku though. Especially when fighting the melee guys. Block + Counter is fun shit. I like the boss designs so far too, where it pays off to rebuild the Deck to exploit the patterns of the boss. Some are easier to fight with melee combo commands, while others are better with just magic while you evade attacks from a distance.

I love the world design in KH3D so far. It's so much better than BbS. It really doesn't feel "empty" to me, since I don't think I really consider KH to be a "RPG" series so much as an action game series these days. The stages in KH3D are designed like an action game, just like BbS. There's exploration around the area for optional chests and Link Portals, but generally, the areas are linear stages with enemies all over to fight as you progress.

What I really dislike though, is the Drop system. It's nonsense especially when you return to a world you have completed just to look for missing chests and stuff. Instead of making that return trip fun, the Drop systems makes it annoying and stressful. You constantly have to worry about the Drop meter like a time limit, and to use Drop Me Nots you have to waste time putting it on a Command Slot, using it, and then going backand replacing it with a real Command because seriously who wants to keep that in the Deck. Lulz.

P.S. Flick Rush rules, losers drool.

Does anyone have any tips for beating
Julius
I'm having a tough time beating him. I'm currently at level 45 with sora, and 42 with riku, with some good abilities on. I dont know if anyone beat him yet, but if anyone has any advice on what i should do, please let me know, i'd love to get the ultima keyblade. Oh and one more thing, does anyone know if i have to beat
Julius
with each character to get the keyblade, or will beating it with one character unlock it for the two.

P.S. Flick Rush rules, losers drool.

My latest few Flick Rush matches have been really intense and a lot of fun. I wasn't really expecting to enjoy the game based on the tutorial, but I've found myself really getting into it, and sweating out some close matches. It's not as much fun as the Command Board, but it's a great change of pace.

SoulUnison

Banned
My latest few Flick Rush matches have been really intense and a lot of fun. I wasn't really expecting to enjoy the game based on the tutorial, but I've found myself really getting into it, and sweating out some close matches. It's not as much fun as the Command Board, but it's a great change of pace.

I'm the other way around - I can't figure out how anybody found the Command Board fun. It was like Mario Party...but on tiny boards...without minigames.

duckroll

I think it's a pretty neat way to bring back the CoM card mechanics as a homage to long time fans as well. Pretty neat. It's also a great way to make Dream Eaters feel unique too, since each one has different attacks and special evolution attacks in Flick Rush. More thought probably went into designing this minigame than the Drop system. :p

I'm the other way around - I can't figure out how anybody found the Command Board fun. It was like Mario Party...but on tiny boards...without minigames.

Wut. No. It's Monopoly. If you don't like Monopoly, it's probably a personal problem!

Does anyone have any tips for beating
Julius
I'm having a tough time beating him. I'm currently at level 45 with sora, and 42 with riku, with some good abilities on. I dont know if anyone beat him yet, but if anyone has any advice on what i should do, please let me know, i'd love to get the ultima keyblade. Oh and one more thing, does anyone know if i have to beat
Julius
with each character to get the keyblade, or will beating it with one character unlock it for the two.

The Balloon series of spells absolutely demolish him. Try to get three Balloon, Balloonra and Balloonga, and fill the rest with Cure spells. You have to beat him separately with both characters for each one to get the keyblade.

The Balloon series of spells absolutely demolish him. Try to get three Balloon, Balloonra and Balloonga, and fill the rest with Cure spells. You have to beat him separately with both characters for each one to get the keyblade.

lol, my idea was just to run/dodge spam and cast magic during his openings.....Balloonga really that broken with some bosses?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Uggghhhhhhhhhhhh.......... I want to play this game so badly, but I really need to keep playing through the first one before I try it.

The first one is soooooo borrrrriiiiiiiinnnnnnnnng though. Someone just give me a plot synopsis. -_-

Dereck

Uggghhhhhhhhhhhh.......... I want to play this game so badly, but I really need to keep playing through the first one before I try it.

The first one is soooooo borrrrriiiiiiiinnnnnnnnng though. Someone just give me a plot synopsis. -_-

Kingdom Hearts 1? Yeah, none of that bothered me when I first played it at 13 years old, but now, I agree.

duckroll

I feel like that world got so much more attention than La Cité des Cloches and Traverse Town, haha.

There's quite a bit of detail in Prankster's Paradise too. I just went through the funhouse tunnel with the various different displays along the way. Really nice environmental detail.

gosox333

I'm about eight hours in, and I think I'm at the climaxes for both Sora and Riku at the Notre Dom world. I've spent literally hours grinding and harvesting whatever Dream Eaters I can make for their abilities, and I feel like if I keep going at this pace, this is actually going to be a pretty long game. I was expecting a 20-ish hour deal going in, but I'm almost at half of that by the second world.

Also, I'm loving how big the two worlds I've been to are, especially Notre Dom. It really reminds me of running around in KH2, as opposed to the small corridors and occasional one big open space with nothing else of BBS.

tldr; I'm loving this game so far. I figured I'd like it, but I didn't think I'd truly love it. Looks like I do.

I have a problem using AR cards.
It worked for one card I had within the box of the game, but the other one simply doesn't work. Are there any tips to follow? Maybe it is possible to scan a Spirit only once per day or stuffs like that? Could I read AR cards from my computer?

It worked for one card I had within the box of the game, but the other one simply doesn't work. Are there any tips to follow? Maybe it is possible to scan a Spirit only once per day or stuffs like that? Could I read AR cards from my computer?

Make sure the card is well lit. Otherwise you can use cards on a computer screen, I did to get the Dream Eaters from the Mark of Mastery edition even though I didn't buy it. Here's all of the AR cards:
http://ar.essh.co/decks/kingdom-hearts

Jawmuncher

So i'm not a big fan of KH, but I absoultely love Tron Legacy.
Is that section in the game any good?
Since I honestly want to buy the game just for that.

Famassu

So i'm not a big fan of KH, but I absoultely love Tron Legacy.
Is that section in the game any good?
Since I honestly want to buy the game just for that.
Yeah, it's a fun world (one of my favorites from DDD). Not sure if it's worth buying the game for, though...

Symphony of Sorcery (Fantasia) on the other hand... now THAT that is probably THE best world in any Kingdom Hearts ever. So, so, so awesome.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, it's a fun world (one of my favorites from DDD). Not sure if it's worth buying the game for, though...

Symphony of Sorcery (Fantasia) on the other hand... now THAT that is probably THE best world in any Kingdom Hearts ever. So, so, so awesome.

Well i've only beaten Birth By Sleep and got to the every end of the first game 9but never beat it)

Sort of wish they'd rerelease the first 2 games already.
i wouldn't mind dusting off the PS2 to play them, but a rerelease would give me more incentive to play.

Famassu

Well i've only beaten Birth By Sleep and got to the every end of the first game 9but never beat it)

Sort of wish they'd rerelease the first 2 games already.
i wouldn't mind dusting off the PS2 to play them, but a rerelease would give me more incentive to play.
Ah, well, if you actually like playing them enough to (almost) finish them, then yeah, I think it's worth getting. Your first post sounded like you had maybe tested one or two Kingdom Hearts games at a friends house and didn't really play them more than an hour or two.

Jawmuncher

Ah, well, if you actually like playing them enough to (almost) finish them, then yeah, I think it's worth getting. Your first post sounded like you had maybe tested one or two Kingdom Hearts games at a friends house and didn't really play them more than an hour or two.

I need stuff to play on my 3DS so I just might.
This game takes place after 2 correct?
If I jump in at least knowing the basics I should be fine story wise right?

Famassu

I need stuff to play on my 3DS so I just might.
This game takes place after 2 correct?
If I jump in at least knowing the basics I should be fine story wise right?
You should be relatively fine if you've played BBS, I & II. If I was you, I'd perhaps also watch ReCoded's secret ending, just so that you'd know what is happening from the get go (since the game goes on for a while before explaining what is going on in a flashback).

Jawmuncher

You should be relatively fine if you've played BBS, I & II. If I was you, I'd perhaps also watch ReCoded's secret ending, just so that you'd know what is happening from the get go (since the game goes on for a while before explaining what is going on in a flashback).

Will do.
So i'll definetly chalk this up on my to get list.

Fantasia is so cool. Definitely, one of the best worlds ever.

Thoraxes

I am raging on these Sora boss fights in (mid-game Proud Mode)
the return to Traverse Town. The second guy always one-shots with these fire waves if i'm not at full HP and he like chain combos into it, so i'm basically locked in to die if I get into his combos once >.>

Each death I get the patterns down better though, so soon.

I didn't think I'd like Prankster's Paradise too much, but holy wow. They really outdid themselves with environmental detail this time around. An entire
underwater area? With no shitty swimming controls? Pinch me, I must be dreaming! o_O

Famassu

I am raging on these Sora boss fights in (mid-game Proud Mode)
the return to Traverse Town. The second guy always one-shots with these fire waves if i'm not at full HP and he like chain combos into it, so i'm basically locked in to die if I get into his combos once >.>

Each death I get the patterns down better though, so soon.
I just did it so that when IT was attacking in its last phase (when each strike send that firewall/shockwave towards you), I just kept dodging (the attacks are fairly easy to dodge, just don't dodge roll too early). Then, when it fell over or calmed down a bit, I got a few hits in. Before that his hits weren't that bad so you could be a bit more aggressive and not die in nanoseconds if you screwed up.

Also, Fire Screens help.

But yeah, possibly the most annoying boss fight in the game. :<

Thoraxes

I just did it so that when IT was attacking in its last phase (when each strike send that firewall/shockwave towards you), I just kept dodging (the attacks are fairly easy to dodge, just don't dodge roll too early). Then, when it fell over or calmed down a bit, I got a few hits in. Before that his hits weren't that bad so you could be a bit more aggressive and not die in nanoseconds if you screwed up.

Also, Fire Screens help.

It doesn't help that the closer I get fills me with more adrenaline lol. I get so excited on these boss fights.

duckroll

Put them flat on the table, aim the camera at them so the card fills most of the screen and keep it still for a few moments. It should work.

DarkKyo

I've got a question for you guys... I just beat the first Traverse Town as Riku. Then it brought me to the world map to visit other worlds. I don't know why but it's asking me to nickname something at this screen. What the hell am I nicknaming? I must have missed it...

duckroll

I've got a question for you guys... I just beat the first Traverse Town as Riku. Then it brought me to the world map to visit other worlds. I don't know why but it's asking me to nickname something at this screen. What the hell am I nicknaming? I must have missed it...

Streetpass shit for your Link Portals.

DarkKyo

Hmm.. so I name my 3DS for the mini-game? I still don't know if I'm naming a place or an object lol

Thanks for the quick response.

bryehn

I just can't deal with the camera and controls on the small screen the way I could on the PS2, it's just too close and janky for me to play comfortably (also, bearing in mind I have CP and arthritis, having the game rely so much on the left side controls is tough). Will keep trying, but I just don't think I'll be able to enjoy it, which is a shame because the presentation is fantastic.

And weird that I find the CCP more a hinderance than help, aside from the larger grip...that dumb, non-existant L button is annoying, no idea why trigger functions couldn't be mapped to the Z buttons instead.

Also, Fire Screens help.

Yeah, what really got me to fail the first two times in that fight was that I'd played so patient against the boss...so the drop gauge ran out by the time I had the next boss down to one bar D:

But most annoying? I'd had more trouble with
Ansem's unblockable attack
than anything.

Put them flat on the table, aim the camera at them so the card fills most of the screen and keep it still for a few moments. It should work.

Thanks. I've found one of the Spirits of the card that has three of them on it. Since there are no special cards for Europe, I think the three Spirits you get from MoM Edition and the Japanese one won't work.

Well I beat Riku's first boss on the final world. Pretty good boss, nice and challenging.

And now I have to fight
Ansem

So after dropping at that point, I start Sora's version and, I gotta say
I loved that scene where Sora meets Roxas and Roxas gives him all of his memories. I loved how shocked he looked after that. Nothing crazy showed up so far. I am going a bit slow because I think I`m only level 27 or something with Sora and I want to level up a bit.

botty

Banned
So after dropping at that point, I start Sora's version and, I gotta say
I loved that scene where Sora meets Roxas and Roxas gives him all of his memories. I loved how shocked he looked after that.

That scene crushed my spirit. Feels like
Roxas will never return now ;-(

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Final Boss Spoilers...

How do I defeat Ansem, Riku's second end-boss? He just seems to shoot those shockwaves at me and kills me in like 10 seconds. Is there a trick?

Slightly OT: I think that someone just spoiled TWEWY for me on youtube. I was watching a review and within the first 10 seconds, the reviewer says that Neku
is dead and that the Reapers are testing him in a virtual game world modeled after Shibya. Is this the big twist?

Chunky

Slightly OT: I think that someone just spoiled TWEWY for me on youtube. I was watching a review and within the first 10 seconds, the reviewer says that Neku
is dead and that the Reapers are testing him in a virtual game world modeled after Shibya. Is this the big twist?

You learn that in the first 2 minutes of TWEWY. You're fine.

Top Bottom