• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

So, I just beat the game and I can safely retract my previous statement.

It took a good 7-8 hours before I started liking it but it eventually clicked. If it weren't for the first 3 worlds I'd put this up there with BBS. Too bad the first three almost completely soured the experience for me.

After that point the game jumps in quality and just keeps getting better and better. I'm glad I stuck with it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Still have no luck against Riku's final boss
Well, the second one of 4
. :(

I'm only Level 34. Maybe I should Level Up? Also I'm only using Keyblade Skills with Riku (bar Curaga), and only Magic with Sora. What's the best Keyblade Skills?

Yeah but beating KH2 at 100% was such a tedious experience I'd never do it again for a KH, and as I had already played KH2 I didn't see the point in completing CoM :|
I need to pick up KH2 one of these days. I rented it long ago when it came out, but never beat it.

Can't believe how old it is though. :0

Still have no luck against Riku's final boss
Well, the second one of 4
. :(

I'm only Level 34. Maybe I should Level Up? Also I'm only using Keyblade Skills with Riku (bar Curaga), and only Magic with Sora. What's the best Keyblade Skills?

I need to pick up KH2 one of these days. I rented it long ago when it came out, but never beat it.

Lvl 34 is more than enough. My Riku was 30 (proud mode). Just make sure you have Once More, Second Chance and Leaf Bracer abilities. Get 3 cura/ga spells and rest for balloonga(seriously best spell in game)/other good damage stuff. I had 2 of that ability that first uses a dark and then light slash.

If you have modded PS2 or your PC can handle emulator you should get KH2 Final Mix and use english patch. Thank me later!

Watch Da Birdie

Hah, my computer sucks lol and I have no clue how to work emulators and such. Probably just pick up the PS2 version at a Gamestop...I'm pretty sure I've seen it around.

Once More, Second Chance
Cool, I think my Aura Lion I've been training learns those.

TheMink

Hah, my computer sucks lol and I have no clue how to work emulators and such. Probably just pick up the PS2 version at a Gamestop...I'm pretty sure I've seen it around.

Cool, I think my Aura Lion I've been training learns those.

I did it without second chance or once more at level 32, (every single command slot except two was a curaga though :p)

EDIT: not ment to be a brag lol just sayin It could be done.

Double EDIT: also it took me like 15 tries so pacientce is a virtue :p

I did it without second chance or once more at level 32, (every single command slot except two was a curaga though :p)

EDIT: not ment to be a brag lol just sayin It could be done.

Double EDIT: also it took me like 15 tries so pacientce is a virtue :p

Huh? You did
Ansem, both parts, without Second chance? Cool...Guess it could be done on Proud with no problem by just learning how to completely avoid his two unblockable attacks. (The dash and the barrage of Dark Ball matter thingies]

gosox333

Sam
says hell

:eek:

I noticed that. And he wasn't even reffering to it as a place, like "burn in the fiery depths of hell!" or whatever they said in BBS. He just threw it out there all casual like.
"That's a hell of a way to live"
, or something.

kh y u so edgy

Just finished it up.

Not a lot to add to the impressions already in the thread. I certainly think they took the 'dart board' approach to game design. I'm not necessarily against that for this title, some things worked, some things didn't, but it was nice to have plenty of systems to at least try out.

Hopefully they are getting the right advice about where to take those systems for the next one (A combination of the best of all the KH games would be too much to ask I'm sure).

I have to say as somebody with big hands, the circle pad pro was a must for this game due to the comfort factor. It isn't as necessary as say MGS3, but controlling lock on with the right trigger, the camera with the right stick made it much more fun. Selecting commands with the d-pad is still broken (not the first time for the series), so hopefully they map that to a button+direction next time around.

Story and gameplay wise it felt like an 'in between' game in so many ways, and probably isn't essential. But overall I'm happy enough with the purchase.

Zeroneo

Huh? You did
Ansem, both parts, without Second chance? Cool...Guess it could be done on Proud with no problem by just learning how to completely avoid his two unblockable attacks. (The dash and the barrage of Dark Ball matter thingies]

You can block the balls with Dark Barrier

Wow, this
second traverse town
boss
is fucking terrible. The fighting area is so small that I can barely get away to heal and I can barely see what's going on half the time.

If you have modded PS2 or your PC can handle emulator you should get KH2 Final Mix and use english patch. Thank me later!

I don't understand why the FM version never got a US release. Whats funny is KH2 FM actually in my PS2 right now. Problem is I can barely find time to play DDD

TheMink

You can actually block any projectile he sends at you.

I did it without barrier block :/
sora was incapacitated at the time of that fight so I couldn't get it, cause I wasn't ever thinking about it...

I'm telling you, curagacuragacuragacuragacuragacuragacuragacuraga
I know that seems like a lame tactic, but if you don't have second chance or once more or barrier block it's a must.

also you can avoid a few of those dark balls, and then some more by spamming curaga, Leaf Bracer is the only must have.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I cannot for the life of me
find where Quasimodo is -- Sora's story
. Help please!?

Edit: WOW, I found it ... feel so stupid. This is what happens when you're playing outside on the lowest brightness.

duckroll

I'm about 17 hours into the game now, cleared the first 3 Disney Worlds and then the events after that, now I'm in the next 2 Disney Worlds. I can't believe these are the last two Disney Worlds in game. Even though the worlds themselves are much bigger than the ones in BbS, the scope really feels kinda pathetic. In terms of story and progression, I feel like almost nothing has happened in the game, and yet I can already see the "end" in sight.

I would say the biggest problem with KH3D is that it doesn't feel like a planned major entry at all, but they definitely wanted to make it feel significant. So it has brand new worlds, brand new enemies, new systems, an in-depth minigame, a bunch of less significant minigames, big worlds, nice graphics, a full new soundtrack, etc. But at the same time it has pretty much no real "plot" to speak of, the ways the worlds are connected are disjointed, the overall design lacks polish, and the scope of the game just feels so insignificant.

While I kinda appreciate being able to play another Team Osaka KH game so soon after BbS, I also feel that they shouldn't have rushed into something if there wasn't a really great plan for it at the time. I'm not surprised at all that response to the game is so lukewarm, especially after BbS. The comparisons are unavoidable really. Nomura brought this upon himself.

Dereck

I'm about 17 hours into the game now, cleared the first 3 Disney Worlds and then the events after that, now I'm in the next 2 Disney Worlds. I can't believe these are the last two Disney Worlds in game. Even though the worlds themselves are much bigger than the ones in BbS, the scope really feels kinda pathetic. In terms of story and progression, I feel like almost nothing has happened in the game, and yet I can already see the "end" in sight.

I would say the biggest problem with KH3D is that it doesn't feel like a planned major entry at all, but they definitely wanted to make it feel significant. So it has brand new worlds, brand new enemies, new systems, an in-depth minigame, a bunch of less significant minigames, big worlds, nice graphics, a full new soundtrack, etc. But at the same time it has pretty much no real "plot" to speak of, the ways the worlds are connected are disjointed, the overall design lacks polish, and the scope of the game just feels so insignificant.

While I kinda appreciate being able to play another Team Osaka KH game so soon after BbS, I also feel that they shouldn't have rushed into something if there wasn't a really great plan for it at the time. I'm not surprised at all that response to the game is so lukewarm, especially after BbS. The comparisons are unavoidable really. Nomura brought this upon himself.
Very well said.

Watch Da Birdie

Beat it on Standard Difficulty...and only used Keyblade Skills with Riku, bar two Curaga. :)

What the fuck are you supposed to "do" at the end of the Ventus Armor fight when you charge at each other? I lost that, like, 8 times, but won eventually...but I have no clue what I did to win it. I barely won too. Damn that stupid part.

Didn't get the secret ending though. What answers do you need to put in to the questions and how many trophies do you need?

Anyway, I don't know if I wanna continue playing to get all the trophies, or re-play BBS. I think I might head out today to see if any store has Kingdom Hearts 2 in stock.

While we're on the topic of AR cards, when I opened my Mark of Mastery Edition the little AR cards package thing only came with 3 cards. Was anyone else's like that? On the package it says it comes with 5 cards.

Peff

Just you wait :p

The thing that struck me as odd though was how lopsided the worlds are towards Sora. It's not so obvious at first, but Prankster's Paradise and especially Country of the Musketeers are much smaller with Riku. I wonder if that was the intention from the beginning or they just ran out of time.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

So a slew of trifling gimmicks, a flimsy connective tissue to the Disney franchise, environment layouts that would fit right in on an N64 cart or PS1 disc, and a baffling and convoluted story that goes absolutely nowhere?

This sounds like every KH game!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Fighting
Rinzler
is going to make me stop playing the game.

duckroll

Just you wait :p

The thing that struck me as odd though was how lopsided the worlds are towards Sora. It's not so obvious at first, but Prankster's Paradise and especially Country of the Musketeers are much smaller with Riku. I wonder if that was the intention from the beginning or they just ran out of time.

I don't really think it's that lopsided. I've been playing the characters in different worlds at the same time for variety so far, and I think that how "large" a story feels depends largely on the intended design for that character. Riku's story for The Grid is much more in-depth and longer than Sora's for example, and it even had two Flashbacks in it, while Sora had none. In fact, Sora's story in The Grid didn't even have an ending lol.

I think another issue I have is that the Disney Worlds are used in such a contrived way this time that it doesn't really feel satisfying. Since they're "Dream Worlds", by the time the characters arrive there, certain events are supposed to already have happened in the story, and at there's often not much of a real conclusion either. So far the only story which felt conclusive and satisfying was Hunchback.

tl;dr - Please stop making these filler games and just get on with KH3. -_-

botty

Banned

So you're saying the story is worst than kingdom hearts 2's story.
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

Edit: I feel like the depth of the worlds would have felt greater if they weren't split in between Sora and Riku. You spend such a short time in these worlds with both characters, that the relationships and connection to the world (and its inhabitants) comes off extremely forced. In Symphony of Sorcery
You interact with Mickey like twice, then it's over.

My big issue about Flomo is that it makes all level design pointless.

For example, at the beginning of Prankster's Paradise with Riku, there's a pretty big pool of water. There are nice platforms around, barrels to step on plus monkey bars to swing on. On higher places you see treasure chests. Wow, looks really fun to play! But what's the point of even using all of those things when I can just kick jump and Flomo straight into chests? You can't even turn Flomo off. Only Flomo attacks are on your Command Deck. If I was just limited to KH1 controls and abilities that would've been freaking fun to play.

So far, the only neat level designs I've seen that make full use of Flomo is that big factory thing in Traverse Town, plus the first area in Sora's Prankster's Paradise.

This doesn't even count the brokenness of Shock Dive. 100% safe to engage with, extremely safe aftermath since it knocks back enemies, and it also breaks through enemy guard. Unless enemies are really squishy, there's really no point in using regular attacks when your commands are on cooldown. Just spam Shock Dive.

I just beat the game last night. Even though the story is pretty convoluted at this point, I still thought the climax and the events leading up to it were very cool. I'm definitely going to play through the game some more to unlock some KeyBlades and Dream Eaters. I enjoyed Dream Drop Distance about as much as I did Birth by Sleep. Combat was better in the latter, but I enjoyed the end game in the former a bit more.

Beat it on Standard Difficulty...and only used Keyblade Skills with Riku, bar two Curaga. :)

What the fuck are you supposed to "do" at the end of the Ventus Armor fight when you charge at each other? I lost that, like, 8 times, but won eventually...but I have no clue what I did to win it. I barely won too. Damn that stupid part.

Didn't get the secret ending though. What answers do you need to put in to the questions and how many trophies do you need?

Anyway, I don't know if I wanna continue playing to get all the trophies, or re-play BBS. I think I might head out today to see if any store has Kingdom Hearts 2 in stock.
I'm pretty confused about the end of that fight as well. I just kept mashing A.

I'm not sure if these are the correct requirements, but I think you need seven trophies if you're playing on Standard. As for the questions, I answered "Losing something that's important," "My close friends," and "To recover something important."

duckroll

My big issue about Flomo is that it makes all level design pointless.

For example, at the beginning of Prankster's Paradise with Riku, there's a pretty big pool of water. There are nice platforms around, barrels to step on plus monkey bars to swing on. On higher places you see treasure chests. Wow, looks really fun to play! But what's the point of even using all of those things when I can just kick jump and Flomo straight into chests? You can't even turn Flomo off. Only Flomo attacks are on your Command Deck. If I was just limited to KH1 controls and abilities that would've been freaking fun to play.

So far, the only neat level designs I've seen that make full use of Flomo is that big factory thing in Traverse Town, plus the first area in Sora's Prankster's Paradise.

This doesn't even count the brokenness of Shock Dive. 100% safe to engage with, extremely safe aftermath since it knocks back enemies, and it also breaks through enemy guard. Unless enemies are really squishy, there's really no point in using regular attacks when your commands are on cooldown. Just spam Shock Dive.

The biggest problem is not FloMo itself, but the FloMo super-jump. Being able to dash into any wall and then do a super jump from there and then a super air dash after that makes ALL platforming totally useless. It makes air glide useless. It makes air slide useless. It makes all the FloMo interactive items in levels useless. It makes all platforms useless. Etc. If FloMo has a limit so you can't abuse it by just dashing into walls and jumping, it would be a much more interesting system.

They really, really didn't think through the FloMo and Drop systems at all. It feels like they just had these vaguely cool ideas, implemented them without much playtesting, and bam, they had to ship the game.

Peff

I don't really think it's that lopsided. I've been playing the characters in different worlds at the same time for variety so far, and I think that how "large" a story feels depends largely on the intended design for that character. Riku's story for The Grid is much more in-depth and longer than Sora's for example, and it even had two Flashbacks in it, while Sora had none. In fact, Sora's story in The Grid didn't even have an ending lol.

I think another issue I have is that the Disney Worlds are used in such a contrived way this time that it doesn't really feel satisfying. Since they're "Dream Worlds", by the time the characters arrive there, certain events are supposed to already have happened in the story, and at there's often not much of a real conclusion either. So far the only story which felt conclusive and satisfying was Hunchback.

tl;dr - Please stop making these filler games and just get on with KH3. -_-

Right, I meant the amount of areas more so than story-wise, which I agree it's relatively balanced. It's not really a huge difference either way, but in Hunchback for example Sora gets six or so extra maps for the Court of Miracles versus that one road with the windmill you can't even enter for Riku, or the Bell Tower. Country of the Musketeers is by far the worst case of this.

That said the two remaining worlds are much better at feeling like complete worlds story-wise, so enjoy
while you can
!

The biggest problem is not FloMo itself, but the FloMo super-jump. Being able to dash into any wall and then do a super jump from there and then a super air dash after that makes ALL platforming totally useless. It makes air glide useless. It makes air slide useless. It makes all the FloMo interactive items in levels useless. It makes all platforms useless. Etc. If FloMo has a limit so you can't abuse it by just dashing into walls and jumping, it would be a much more interesting system.

They really, really didn't think through the FloMo and Drop systems at all. It feels like they just had these vaguely cool ideas, implemented them without much playtesting, and bam, they had to ship the game.

They could've just limited it to one jump until you touch the ground again. Maybe gradually introduce Flomo abilities as well. Gameplay spoiler:
After playing the demo, I thought we're going to start from scratch and slowly unlock each Flomo move. Turns out, everything is already in the demo which was disappointing.

I think I might've preferred it if they copied Onimusha's dual character system instead. It's much more linear, but makes the story progression more cohesive. You also don't lose track of what the other character is supposed to do if you used a lot of Drop-Me-Nots.

duckroll

Right, I meant the amount of areas more so than story-wise, which I agree it's relatively balanced. It's not really a huge difference either way, but in Hunchback for example Sora gets six or so extra maps for the Court of Miracles versus that one road with the windmill you can't even enter for Riku, or the Bell Tower. Country of the Musketeers is by far the worst case of this.

Riku's side of Hunchback reminded me a lot of a certain part of Demon's Souls. I wonder if the developers were fans of that. Lol. :)

Murrah

Banned
So, about flick rush. What do you get from it and how? Gold medaling all of the tournaments I'm assuming? I still don't fully get it but I'm starting to enjoy myself with it so I'll probably try doing it regardless of the reward, I just wanted to know

hamchan

We've had a new Kingdom Hearts game every year, so if KH3 isn't for a while... what's next?

BbS v2?

Based on the story of this game KH3 has to be next. They pretty much have no where else to go. I reckon KH1&2 HD would be a good move in the meantime.

duckroll

So, about flick rush. What do you get from it and how? Gold medaling all of the tournaments I'm assuming? I still don't fully get it but I'm starting to enjoy myself with it so I'll probably try doing it regardless of the reward, I just wanted to know

You get medals for winning tournaments, and you can use those medals to purchase shit from the medal shop. It's kinda like a replacement for both the Mirage Arena and the Command Board in BbS. You unlock new tournaments by completing certain worlds, and by completing those unlocked tournaments. They get progressively harder, but you also earn more medals.

Top Bottom