• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

I apologize if this has been posted already but I am having a hell of a time going up against the 2nd form of
Ansem (SoD) boss battle
. Is there any tactic or strategy I can use to dodge that stupid attack where he has those two purpleish orbs that shoot out lasers?

It feels like no matter what I do he kills me in a single hit. My Riku is level 34 btw. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance!

I apologize if this has been posted already but I am having a hell of a time going up against the 2nd form of
Ansem (SoD) boss battle
. Is there any tactic or strategy I can use to dodge that stupid attack where he has those two purpleish orbs that shoot out lasers?

It feels like no matter what I do he kills me in a single hit. My Riku is level 34 btw. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Make sure you have abilities like Second Chance, Once More, and Leaf Bracer. Riku's Dark Splicer can teleport him right to the boss when the room lengthens. I also used two Curagas to be on the safe side. I almost always had one available when I desperately needed to heal.

Thoraxes

What's the point of making a Fantasia World and not using Rite of Spring anyway? I bet no one can defend that! :p

The piece is only public domain in the US, so i'd imagine they didn't want to go through the trouble of getting the rights in all the other territories.

I agree with you though, as the polychord-accentuated primal dance tickles my fancy.

Make sure you have abilities like Second Chance, Once More, and Leaf Bracer. Riku's Dark Splicer can teleport him right to the boss when the room lengthens. I also used two Curagas to be on the safe side. I almost always had one available when I desperately needed to heal.

Since there isn't much of a FAQ out there yet, are Leaf Bracer and Second Chance abilities granted by having specific Spirits in your party?

Ansem (SoD) boss battle

You can dodge it. You just have to keep a close eye to the orbs when they are about to connect with the stuff that fire the lasers.

Also as allready said, make sure you have second chance, once more and leaf bracer.

Since there isn't much of a FAQ out there yet, are Leaf Bracer and Second Chance abilities granted by having specific Spirits in your party?

Once you learn them you dont have to keep that spirit in your party. You get to keep the ability. Meow Wow teaches you Leaf Bracer (first spirit you get) and Second Chance you can get from the AR card seal for example.

You can also get Once More from Tyranto Rex, Flowbermeow, and Drak Quack, but I beat the game without it.

If you haven't gotten Dark Splicer yet, I think it's in that room with the red wall that damages you.

You can also get Once More from Tyranto Rex, Flowbermeow, and Drak Quack, but I beat the game without it.

If you haven't gotten Dark Splicer yet, I think it's in that room with the red wall that damages you.

Yeah, so apparently I was playing the game completely wrong. I had NO IDEA about the Ability Link system... Thanks for pointing it out to me. I should be set for the battle now.

clemenx

Banned
Oh my god, I feel like
Rinzler
Is a fucked up difficulty spike. Even if it's thanks to a gimmick, he's kicking my ass :X maybe I just suck.

I'm loving this game so far. I surprisingly dig the drop mechanic a lot. Just reading about it I thought I was gonna hate it.

prwxv3

Man ditching the ability to level up and meld commands was a really bad idea. Too me there is no incentive to play with every single command like there was in BBS.

Did anyone notice that enemies that you do damage to but then de spawn then return they have the same exact health after you damaged them.

And did it bother anyone else that despite the battle level indicator pranksters paradise journal info comes before the grid.

botty

Banned
Ok, just finished my second play through of the game. This game definitely has the worst story in the series (not counting Re:coded of course). I think the drop system only exist because of how completely disconnected the story would be without frequent switching between Sora and Riku.

Vamphuntr

I'm about 6 hours in and I can't seem to get hooked into it. The drop system is really annoying for me. I would really prefer to clear the worlds with each characters one at a time. Battle system is really great but I'm not a fan of the spirits system /link abilities. Gaining LP is a pain in the ass since you have to play those god awful minigames.

It's also weird how often the game's framerate goes haywire.

botty

Banned
I'm about 6 hours in and I can't seem to get hooked into it. The drop system is really annoying for me. I would really prefer to clear the worlds with each characters one at a time. Battle system is really great but I'm not a fan of the spirits system /link abilities. Gaining LP is a pain in the ass since you have to play those god awful minigames.

It's also weird how often the game's framerate goes haywire.

You can just keep force dropping, until you complete the world with the desired character. Although, I wouldn't recommend it.

You can gain LP from rubbing your dream eater, or defeating enemies (bonus if you attack the enemy at the same time as your dream eater.)

duckroll

Damn, I've only beat Notre Dame world, yet I'm already 6 hours in. Am I just really slow or these worlds that long?

The worlds are bigger than BbS, but I think in general Traverse Town was just a really long opening act. It seems to move faster as you progress. There are only 5 Disney Worlds anyway, so you wouldn't want them to be too short. Lol.

I'm about 6 hours in and I can't seem to get hooked into it. The drop system is really annoying for me.

The way I play it is: Drop into new world as Sora, beat that world using Drop-Me-Not's (they're really cheap) so you see that world in order, then once on the world map Drop to Riku, repeat for him. It is a bit tedious to do the same worlds twice in a row but it's less confusing. Don't know if there's a downside to this method...

I'm now in the
Fantasia
world and I'm noticing quite a difficulty spike. I've been playing the entire game so far with Wheelflower, Meow-wow and Komori Bat (names might me a bit off) and haven't had a problem so far, but I've maxed out their abilitie links. What are some Dream Eaters that are worth levelling up?

The AR spirits. R&R Seal has Second Chance. Frootz Kat has tons of Hastes. I think the beetle has good commands. I only got Meow Wow for Leaf Bracer and the cures.

I didnt really notice a spike there. They all still die to Spark Dives. Such a great command.

dankir

SO this is my first Kingdom Hearts game ever, I played the first one for a few hours and didn't like it. But there's something about this one that's drawing me in. One thing I find is that there's so many gameplay types / options I'm overwhelmed and I'm losing track or completely forgetting that they exist.

I'm collecting all these parts and I have these "recipes" so how the hell do you make new spirit companions? I still have the first gerbil one and I'm about 10 hours in.

I've gone through that menu many times and I can rub the spirit to make it happy, play games, feed it, etc.

I'm I not looking in the right place?

SO this is my first Kingdom Hearts game ever, I played the first one for a few hours and didn't like it. But there's something about this one that's drawing me in. One thing I find is that there's so many gameplay types / options I'm overwhelmed and I'm losing track or completely forgetting that they exist.

I'm collecting all these parts and I have these "recipes" so how the hell do you make new spirit companions? I still have the first gerbil one and I'm about 10 hours in.

I've gone through that menu many times and I can rub the spirit to make it happy, play games, feed it, etc.

I'm I not looking in the right place?

Press X in the spirit menu.

Read the manual that come with the game, Support manual! No manual for vita games is one of the reasons i am not buying vita :(

dankir

Read the manual that come with the game, Support manual! No manual for vita games is one of the reasons i am not buying vita :(

Yeah I think this is the first game I've bought in a very long time where I have to read the manual thoroughly.

Are you in Fantasia? That's not a bug. It's a homage to the film. I didn't like how they implemented it either though. I ran into an actual bug the other day though, where Riku got stuck in a Link Style attack animation where he kept dashing forward with his attack over and over and over and there was no way to cancel out of it. The Link meter was empty too, but he just wouldn't change back. It was kinda hilarious. The menu were still kinda working though, so in the end I just manually Dropped and it worked.

Since we are speaking about bugs, I had on where Riku got stuck in a lamp post in Traverse town. He could attack and use flowmotion, but he would go anywhere.

The manuals are all digital, which means you'll always have them.

Also, if you look at the manual that came with Heroes of Ruin, it was one piece of paper folded into quarters, but it was one sheet front and back.

Rather have a digital, full manual in comparison

The manuals are all digital, which means you'll always have them.

Also, if you look at the manual that came with Heroes of Ruin, it was one piece of paper folded into quarters, but it was one sheet front and back.

Rather have a digital, full manual in comparison

Need more full color manuals like KH:3d , not shitty fold out mario 3d land or tales of black and white manual.

I want something i can read when i am not playing the game. Something physical that i can hold. Will be better if there are a lot of art work in it. T.T I miss the old game manuals.

Digital manual are good to have and i hope i can get both.

Manuals, for me, were looked at on the way home from the store. Now that I have to drive, I only consult the manual if I have questions about controls.

Mr. Fix

It is... beyond... my imagination. Lol.

This is like everything bad about KH2 distilled into a single world. It's truly powerful. For all the wrong reasons.

It's so heavy on the fan-service, that even the boundaries have to be broken to achieve those things. There's one offence in particular, but I'm not sure if you've seen it yet. But yes, things are very messy indeed.

Mario007

Are you referring to the fact that Nomura basically took the joke about how all the characters are clones of Sora and Xehanort to its ultimate level?

I think he's referring to the magical ability of Axel to wield a Keyblade, which is pure fanservice

Krelian91

I think he's referring to the magical ability of Axel to wield a Keyblade, which is pure fanservice

Oh right, that. But seriously, after everything that happened earlier when I saw that I was just like "oh, okay" and accepted it without questioning.

Mario007

Oh right, that. But seriously, after everything that happened earlier when I saw that I was just like "oh, okay" and accepted it without questioning.

Well it is heavily foreshadowed earlier in the game but it is pure fan service. Nevermind also
that basically all the antagonist are back again, yay!
. To be fair I don't really mind the lols of the story in the last world but rather that the story concentrated only in the last world and we got no
mention of Aqua or Ven and only a minuscule reference to Terra
. In terms of story importance the game is pretty much on the level of Days or even Re:Coded.

farnham

Banned
so i started the series with chains of memories.. didnt finish it. then i played a bit of 300 something days slash 2 or whatever on ds which was a disaster...

bbs on PSP however was brilliant and i finished the game with Terra (still playing with Aqua and Ventus).

3D is definately pretty much bbs with faster loading and slightly better graphics overall.. I love it!

Bladenic

so i started the series with chains of memories.. didnt finish it. then i played a bit of 300 something days slash 2 or whatever on ds which was a disaster...

bbs on PSP however was brilliant and i finished the game with Terra (still playing with Aqua and Ventus).

3D is definately pretty much bbs with faster loading and slightly better graphics overall.. I love it!

Oh jeez I'm surprised you kept playing te series after starting with the worst ones lol, especially the DS. Do yourself a favor and play KH and KH2.

Guys, how the hell do I get cure???

I have been relying on potions and my munnys are dying!!!

By the way I´m on prankster land with both riku an sora...

branny

Okay, I finished the game earlier today. My opinions of it have not changed. It's one of the better KH games to play, but it has serious issues on all fronts.

There are times when it comes close to some of the neat things BBS did with bosses, and flowmotion is exhilarating for Crackdown-esque traversal. Some worlds have novel level design as far as KH games go. And random encounters are slightly more challenging than usual. I guess the soundtrack is alright, though I still find BBS's better.

That's about it.

The drop system is a neat concept that ended up being poorly implemented. Dream eaters are a horrible way to develop your character (and now bear some of the series' worst endgame grinding because of that water barrel shit). The majority of this game's plot devolves into complete nonsense and lacks strong enough storytelling to at least make that nonsense enjoyable or relatable. Half of the bosses are sloppily designed (which is bizarre, because the other half are about as great as the ones in BBS). Regular combat scenarios seem genuinely more challenging, but that's only due to every foe's unmeasured aggression (along with iffy technical issues like framerate drops and a wonky camera that you eventually get used to).

There's just a missing layer of refinement, polish, and vision that likely is the result of a shorter development cycle or misguided direction. Whatever the case, I still find the game to be one of the stronger entries in the series, but for reasons that likely stem from its fleeting similarities to BBS. I thought this was going to be my second-favorite, but I'm not sure. Other KH games besides BBS are kind of mediocre in different ways, especially once you start comparing them all together, so it's hard to rank them.

Murrah

Banned
So, finished the game yesterday. Here're my (really wordy and long) thoughts (again, coming from someone who's only ever played KH1 and 2)

Overall I liked it, but it feels like something's missing and I have a lot of issues with it. I think my main gripe is that, as fun as the battle system and customizing the command deck and whatnot is, when that's pretty much all you're doing outside of the cutscenes it gets old, especially since none of the dream eaters I used aside from the bear and the occasional heal from Hank the meow wow ever really did anything in battle for me. Unless you count dying during the last few bosses as doing something. Flick rush is pretty much the only real change of pace in the game, and I liked it a lot, but in the end all it does for you is unlock more stuff for fighting enemies (at least for me since I have no one to play multiplayer with). I realize KH1 and 2 were largely the same in this regard except with even less variety in terms of customization, but I haven't played those games since I was 15 so I don't know if this game just does a worse job of hiding that or if my tastes have changed that dramatically

Contrary to what I seem to be implying with the previous paragraph, I don't think the way to fix the problem is to just add in a bunch of minigames no one wants to play (though if they're actually good like flick rush then I'm all for it). I dunno how hardcore KH fans would take it, but I think the series is just dying for real, awesome coop multiplayer. I realize 358/2 or whatever was based around multiplayer, but apparently the game sucks. And I don't mean a spinoff game with mission based structure anyway - I think it'd have been great if a friend could just join my game at anytime and take full control over one of my dream eaters. Square could even just make three or four selectable for multiplayer if balancing all of them to be playable would be too difficult. This could just be my desperation for a new, good Secret of Mana-esque game clouding my judgment though

My only other major problem is how Disney stuff is handled. I originally got into KH because of the Disney stuff, and while I think the Tron and Fantasia worlds in 3D are the two best worlds in any of the KH games I've played, the Hunchback level was really bad. Like, KH1 Alice in Wonderland bad. And seriously, where the heck are all the Disney bosses?
Rinzler and the Beagle Boys boss fights were awesome, not only because they were Disney fights but because they actually had interesting mechanics going on, not just bashing giant neon monsters with a stick repeatedly
. I'm hoping with KH3 (or whatever they do next) they go back to feeling like you're actually playing a part in the Disney worlds/integrate the Disney stuff into the plot more instead of the majority of the game just feeling like useless plotline filler

I have some other minor quibbles but this post went way longer than I intended so I'll just leave off with saying that despite my complaints I had fun with the game and I'm still looking forward to KH3 (so long as there's a Toy Story world dammit)

Peff

(and now bear some of the series' worst endgame grinding because of that water barrel shit).

La.

La.

La, la la la.

I realize 358/2 or whatever was based around multiplayer, but apparently the game sucks.

It does, but the multiplayer is the best part of the game, along with the Panel system. If you can get three other people it's actually fun, at least for a while. What I can't remember right now is if it required you to unlock MP missions on the atrocious SP like it does some of the characters.

duckroll

Hopefully I'll beat the game tomorrow and I can sum up my thoughts on the game as well. I definitely agree that its an enjoyable game for KH fans but missing the polish and layers that BbS had. Expecting a solid follow up to BbS which builds on everything which made it good and improving on it for a more powerful platform pretty much resulted in disappointment on my end though.

Peff

Hopefully I'll beat the game tomorrow and I can sum up my thoughts on the game as well. I definitely agree that its an enjoyable game for KH fans but missing the polish and layers that BbS had. Expecting a solid follow up to BbS which builds on everything which made it good and improving on it for a more powerful platform pretty much resulted in disappointment on my end though.

Where did you stop?

duckroll

Where did you stop?

I'm in the last world. Sora's at the boss and... Riku's... erm... grinding I guess. I intentionally gimped the Command Decks for each character by setting special rules for myself to make the game more challenging and fun, but I think it's time to stop that and just make the best possible decks + Dream Eater team combinations and just finish it off.

Top Bottom