• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

gosox333

So the more I play, the more I realize ... there really is no story in the game.

I've finished up the first 3 worlds and not much has happened, put in about 8 hours. From what I gather, the game is about 15-20 hours long. Is it like this all the way through... or?

Yep. This game is really just an excuse to give you more Disney worlds to go through and experience. The end of the game'll have story stuff, obviously, but the overarching story is pretty bare here.

So the more I play, the more I realize ... there really is no story in the game.

I've finished up the first 3 worlds and not much has happened, put in about 8 hours. From what I gather, the game is about 15-20 hours long. Is it like this all the way through... or?

It's pretty much that way with every Kingdom Hearts story. Hell, I'm 18 hours in through a replay of 2, and I just got to any sort of substantial story within Space Paranoids and King Mickey's brief return.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty much that way with every Kingdom Hearts story. Hell, I'm 18 hours in through a replay of 2, and I just got to any sort of substantial story within Space Paranoids and King Mickey's brief return.

Really huh?

I haven't played Kingdom Hearts II since it came out, so I really don't remember.

Like I said earlier in this thread, after revisiting the story of the entire franchise it's pretty convoluted and silly - at least it's fun!

Seda

Really huh?

I haven't played Kingdom Hearts II since it came out, so I really don't remember.

Like I said earlier in this thread, after revisiting the story of the entire franchise it's pretty convoluted and silly - at least it's fun!

The KH2 Disney worlds are kind of .... standalone (outside of Tron) unlike KH1 were many had at least something to do with the overarching plot.

Really huh?

And the story doesn't get annoyingly questionable like other RPGS (STAR OCEAN 4), so I don't mind it all. Hell, I was much more interested in figuring out the
Time travel stuff
in this game than in XIII-2.

Story is far from perfect, but far from the worst piece of crap RPG story.

That explains so much :p

My bad lol

branny

First few worlds are introspective character moments to help you connect with them or some shit.
This kind of makes me upset because I really liked how BBS handled each world. Every scenario seemed symbolically tailored to a character's individual plot arc in some way or another, so visiting worlds felt a lot more cohesive. I think DDD is trying to do the same thing, but it's not coming off as strongly.

I've read every summary of previous KH titles (I've played them for the most part, but didn't watch BbS/358 Days/ReCoded secret endings) and...the plot actually makes some kind of sense. Ok, there's still a lot of cringe-worthy things and plot developments that make you go "What the hell were they thinking ?" (especially with
body swaps and soul/heart transfer whatever and the fact that Sora is basically everyone
), but overall, it's not THAT bad.
Also the secret endings are a neat feature, kind of like sneak peeks of what's to come.

The only thing I regret is the fact that Xehanort and all overshadowed all the Disney stuff. It should imho be more prevalent.

I've read every summary of previous KH titles (I've played them for the most part, but didn't watch BbS/358 Days/ReCoded secret endings) and...the plot actually makes some kind of sense. Ok, there's still a lot of cringe-worthy things and plot developments that make you go "What the hell were they thinking ?" (especially with
body swaps and soul/heart transfer whatever and the fact that Sora is basically everyone
), but overall, it's not THAT bad.
Also the secret endings are a neat feature, kind of like sneak peeks of what's to come.

The only thing I regret is the fact that Xehanort and all overshadowed all the Disney stuff. It should imho be more prevalent.

At least Magnificent plays a somewhat major role, and too bad that KH 1 was the only game which the Disney villains were involved in the main plot. That was pretty cool tho....

At least Magnificent plays a somewhat major role, and too bad that KH 1 was the only game which the Disney villains were involved in the main plot. That was pretty cool tho....

Maleficient has a more prevalent role, but still. It would've been cool if
there was some kind of "Villains associations" were all major Disney villains go together with Xehanort against Sora & the Gang, that would allow some epic battles...kind of like KH1
. It would've been goofy but cool.

Ok, when I said that Frollo was a waste he still didn't hold a candle to Maleficent in this one lol. Her only role in this was
so she could be inserted to the trailers and have a waste role for shitty excuse to give players Re:Coded summary update lol. I'm not surprised if her ''plot'' in this is never mentioned again.

Even when I think she was kinda silly in KH2 and BBS at least she did stuff. She was great in KH1.
Maleficient has a more prevalent role, but still. It would've been cool if
there was some kind of "Villains associations" were all major Disney villains go together with Xehanort against Sora & the Gang, that would allow some epic battles...kind of like KH1
. It would've been goofy but cool.
I don't think she will side with Xehanort anymore.

thetechkid

Sometimes this thread looks like a CIA document with all the stuff thats redacted. So I don't have a question about the story but are you guys having Sora and Riku go to the same worlds at the same time?

Sometimes this thread looks like a CIA document with all the stuff thats redacted. So I don't have a question about the story but are you guys having Sora and Riku go to the same worlds at the same time?

I did mainly because the battle levels are same for both. In BBS the first 3 worlds had different battle levels for each character so they could have used that in this.

Ideally that's what I do, but since I have 2 levels of difference between them sometimes I go way ahead with Sora...

I swear, for the next KH saga once this Xehanort stuff is done, the first game in the next saga should focus on the Final Fantasy villains and the Final Fantasy worlds. I'm sure most of you here would love to see Sephiroth and Kefka working on the same team on a console release. Even better, why just focus on Final Fantasy? They did a good job focusing on TWEWY in this game. Next time, why don't they let the Disney Worlds take a break and include worlds from Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest?

The fight with Maleficent in KH1 is still one of my favorites, and the fight with the demon guy from Fantasia is still amazing. KH2 is very much "Hey some heartless have invaded Disney Worlds, so Sora will help those characters out and ask about Riku and Kairi once." And then they hit you with Heartless and Nobody Ansem after the Tron level, but that's about the only major story elements you get up to that point after Roxas in Twilight Town and Sora at Disney Tower.

Also, I've realized Goofy is the smartest person (anthropomorphic dog?) in the games. He deduces that Ansem has a Nobody while Sora, Donald, and Mickey are still looking confused. He also has the smarts to look up info on the Nobodies and Organization XIII in the DTD system, whereas Leon FINALLY gets access to the system, and then blows it off to check on Hollow Bastion.

I swear, for the next KH saga once this Xehanort stuff is done, the first game in the next saga should focus on the Final Fantasy villains and the Final Fantasy worlds. I'm sure most of you here would love to see Sephiroth and Kefka working on the same team on a console release. Even better, why just focus on Final Fantasy? They did a good job focusing on TWEWY in this game. Next time, why don't they let the Disney Worlds take a break and include worlds from Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest?
We already have Dissidia for that :p

I'm not entirely sure I'd like that, personally. The Disney stuff is/was always the number one reason I buy the games. The cameos on Square-Enix's side are usually just bonuses for me.

Just started it and I just want to say the opening movie recounting the games' events was AMAZING. I've been on blackout, so I never saw it before, and goddamn was it a great bit of fanservice. 3D looked fantastic in it too.

Now to start actually playing it.

thetechkid

Not being a Final Fantasy fan it was nice at first to see some people from the series, but quickly became I don't care if they show up anymore. I would rather they have other SE properties show up but I doubt that would happen because they wouldn't be as known as Disney. I know its not Disney, but I would like it they included Road to El Dorado and other animated movies.

Also, I've realized Goofy is the smartest person (anthropomorphic dog?) in the games. He deduces that Ansem has a Nobody while Sora, Donald, and Mickey are still looking confused. He also has the smarts to look up info on the Nobodies and Organization XIII in the DTD system, whereas Leon FINALLY gets access to the system, and then blows it off to check on Hollow Bastion.

Yeah, Goofy seems to have a lot more practical thinking then the rest of the main cast. It's just that no one realizes it because he's...goofy.

Just started it and I just want to say the opening movie recounting the games' events was AMAZING. I've been on blackout, so I never saw it before, and goddamn was it a great bit of fanservice. 3D looked fantastic in it too.

Yeah, it's a really heartwarming opening video to watch. I always get charged up by that final scene in particular.

hamchan

I'd like a mix of Disney and Square worlds but Disney is still the heart of this game, it always has to be there. There's still plenty of Disney properties that they haven't used too, like all the Pixar stuff.

Murrah

Banned
I wouldn't mind more non-FF Square cameos. Some stuff like Chrono Trigger would probably fit in great actually (I even named my knight frog dream eater Glen). But the main appeal to me with these games has always been Disney. 3D only solidified that in my mind with how great the Fantasia world was, which I think is the best thing the series has ever done. No sleep 'til Toy Story world

Man, Sora got so much more to do than Riku in Country of the Musketeers. It was a surprisingly great world given the source material. I guess you can polish a turd?

Seda

M mind is about to get blown into several pieces. Playing world 6 and this is just sheer magic. This...this is why I game. Unbelievable. This just got bumped to top 3 i've played this year :'(

Love being surprised.

waiting is soo hard D:

I wanna know what happens! I see people saying it's great, silly, stupid. I must wait until XL.

duckroll

The opening FMV is really, really nice. Visualworks does great work when they put their mind to it!

Hey, can anyone help me? I'm at the
Country of the Musketeers
and I've found every treasure chest in every world so far with Sora and Riku, only I'm missing two in this world on Sora's side that I just can't find.

Based on their placement on the treasure grid, I'm *pretty* sure they're in the
city/town portion of Mont Saint-Michel
, but I'm not totally certain. Are there any especially well-hidden chests around this area that people have been commonly missing? I think I've turned that place upside down looking for the missing chests, but I just can't find them... yet given their placement on the grid, I just can't imagine where else in this world they could be.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist!

duckroll

Country of the Musketeers is a pretty good World, but I kinda hate what they did with Fantasia. Annoying enemy encounters, boring Reality Shift minigame over and over, and really fucking annoying bosses both for Sora and Riku. The "silent movie" idea sounds good on paper, but it also makes it really lame when you're actually playing and there are no proper voice or sound effects at all. It just feels dumb. I was really looking forward to what they would do with Fantasia too. :(

Country of the Musketeers is a pretty good World, but I kinda hate what they did with Fantasia. Annoying enemy encounters, boring Reality Shift minigame over and over, and really fucking annoying bosses both for Sora and Riku. The "silent movie" idea sounds good on paper, but it also makes it really lame when you're actually playing and there are no proper voice or sound effects at all. It just feels dumb. I was really looking forward to what they would do with Fantasia too. :(

Did you not enjoy the nutcracker on Riku's playthrough of Fantasia? It actually bothered you that there were no sound effects?

Really?

EDIT: I thought it was a nice chance of pace, and the music was great!

duckroll

Did you not enjoy the nutcracker on Riku's playthrough of Fantasia? It actually bothered you that there were no sound effects?

Really?

EDIT: I thought it was a nice chance of pace, and the music was great!

The music is great, I just find it the most boring world to actually play so far, and it has really, really annoying enemies and bosses.

The music is great, I just find it the most boring world to actually play so far, and it has really, really annoying enemies and bosses.

The bosses weren't that fun to fight, I give you that.

Riku's boss fight was especially a letdown, expected so much more...but I guess since
you already had a full blown boss battle with Chernabog in KH1, they couldn't do much :-(

Famassu

Does anybody else hate enemies that stay in a blocking state for like 30 seconds??
Man there is nothing else I loath more, they are always the last enemy standing and I have to wait for them to stop blocking then hit like twice then wait again, and they don't even attack in between! It makes me question their existence -_-
Zero Gravity & other such magic are Ur friends.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about the wrap up
Pranksters Paradise
- It was really interesting visually, but I don't know - not really feeling Kingdom Hearts 3D that much. There's not much wrong with it technically, aside from a few things. The gameplay is pretty fun for the most part but the game does have some annoyances.

My main annoyance I guess is the drop mechanic and that still stands the further I get into the game. It feels like it was designed poorly and has no significance being in the game. However, I talked to others about it and they felt that it added a sense of urgency, strategy and intensity to the game while providing an unique take on presenting two characters narratives. I can see how the drop mechanic might be great for those players, but personally speaking I'd rather just play one campaign at a time and do away with the drop mechanic entirely.

Also I feel like the Disney stuff has been put on the back burner now. Yeah, you still visit Disney worlds and those all look fantastic, but the stories within those worlds seem less involved in the grand scheme of things. I haven't played a main Kingdom Hearts game in a long time, but after reading the Chronicle stuff in Kingdom Hearts 3D, the Disney stuff seems less important now to the overall plot.

I don't know - maybe I just don't care enough about the franchise anymore? Or was it always like this in Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II?

duckroll

Weird glitch in my game. Sora doesnt talk in combat. Feels empty.

Are you in Fantasia? That's not a bug. It's a homage to the film. I didn't like how they implemented it either though. I ran into an actual bug the other day though, where Riku got stuck in a Link Style attack animation where he kept dashing forward with his attack over and over and over and there was no way to cancel out of it. The Link meter was empty too, but he just wouldn't change back. It was kinda hilarious. The menu were still kinda working though, so in the end I just manually Dropped and it worked.

gosox333

I don't know - maybe I just don't care enough about the franchise anymore? Or was it always like this in Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II?

KH1 had relevant Disney worlds, KH2 most definitely didn't, and BBS was somewhere in-between.

This is more on the level of KH2, I'd say.

I'm a late Disney fan. I didn't even start watching the animated films until The Lion King made me QQ so much in high school. :p It's also why I even got into the series. I know I saw Hunchback at the theater but I was only 6 so I don't remember anything.

Game is so easy now, I'm really glad I started in Proud Mode. I think I'm really overleveled (31 in Fantasia), but I'm not even doing any grinding.

Top Bottom