• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Peff

I'm in the last world. Sora's at the boss and... Riku's... erm... grinding I guess. I intentionally gimped the Command Decks for each character by setting special rules for myself to make the game more challenging and fun, but I think it's time to stop that and just make the best possible decks + Dream Eater team combinations and just finish it off.

Haha, looking forward to your final impressions then. If you can, get Dark Aura or Dark Splicer for Riku, since they make a certain part of his endgame much easier. Don't go out of your way though, It's still pretty doable without them.

branny

To be honest, if you can fill your deck with Balloonra and Balloonga and a couple Curagas, you should be set after you get Second Chance and Once More.

Peff

True, it's crazy how overpowered that Command family is. Even the secret boss gets completely destroyed by them.

duckroll

Haha, looking forward to your final impressions then. If you can, get Dark Aura or Dark Splicer for Riku, since they make a certain part of his endgame much easier. Don't go out of your way though, It's still pretty doable without them.

I already have Dark Splicer. Is there anywhere I can get Dark Roll easily btw? I'm obsessed with maxing out a character's movement commands, but I missed Dark Roll as a Drop bonus because I happened to JUST lack the DP to buy it by like... 7 points when it showed up one time. Looool. :(

Peff

It's in the Flick Rush shop IIRC. Other than there and the Drop Bonus I don't think it's in any chest or DE.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh cool! Another excuse to play more Flick Rush! Joy! :D
I use Riku being stupidly ahead of Sora to play and grind Flick Rush.

Having trouble getting Gold in the Speed Cup though. Got Silver first time and nowhere near every time afterwards.

This reminds me a lot of BBS and the way it became necessary to grind up and fuse and grind and fuse until you got that characters "winning" ability.

branny

I really do like how Flick Rush seems even deeper than what we had in CoM. It's up there with Triple Triad for me.

It's great how each Dream Eater has its own unique strategy and how timing your moves is actually important. I don't like how the dueling bits are handled, though; the same number should've just been a clash that nullified both attacks or did equal damage to both parties.

I'd love if Pokémon adopted a more fleshed out version of Flick Rush for a future battle system, especially after thinking about the GBC game based on the TCG. You really can't go wrong with action-oriented arena card battlers. They're still strategic, but they're a lot more engaging than turn-based stuff. I still love me some Phantom Dust.

This reminds me a lot of BBS and the way it became necessary to grind up and fuse and grind and fuse until you got that characters "winning" ability.
I'd take grinding in BbS over DDD any day. After selling some crap items I don't need and buying like 70 water barrels to use while listening to podcasts, I'd much rather become stronger by actually fighting. It seems like it takes so long to earn munny, exp, and LP in this game by fighting, and it doesn't help that things like the exp boost only trigger under 25% HP from what I've seen. (There's probably better stuff than that, but I couldn't stomach playing this longer than I needed to with some other games coming out.)

I agree with you about "winning" commands, but they're part of the appeal of getting stronger. The sad thing is that they're not particularly overpowered in DDD. Some of the more embellished attacks leave you vulnerable for a long time. Some work better for groups, some for bosses. I didn't bother with Dark Splicer on bosses, but I know it got me into trouble in some random fights. Balloonra and Balloonga are stupidly overpowered, though, so I abused those instead. Things like Meteor Dive(?) were actually alright as far as well-rounded, endgame abilities go.

I do like how Dark Splicer and some other things (one of Riku's dual links) seem like remnants of Ghost Drive. This game just made me want to play BbS again. :(

edit: It also doesn't help that at the very end of the game,
Nightmare Ven uses a shotlock on you. :(((

Holy crap, the final world doesn't pull any punches. I'm on Standard, and these enemies are beating the shit out of me. ._.

It's been an awesome ride, though. This is the most enjoyment I've gotten out of any KH title, BBS included. I'm looking forward to replaying the game on Proud and Critical mode.

Order

I've always thought people were silly for not understanding the KH story, but after this game, I cant understand a damn thing

I've always thought people were silly for not understanding the KH story, but after this game, I cant understand a damn thing

Me either lol....What I really don't get is
If Riku was in Sora's dreams, why did the worlds interact with each other? Like why did Sora's Traverse Town interact with Riku's Traverse town. Like if Riku did something in a world, it would affect Sora's version of that world...Why did that happen? I DONT GET THE WHOLE DREAM REALM SHIT!

I think I've clocked in about 12 hours to this so far since last Saturday. I've been having fun, though initially I've been having trouble getting around the controls. I've finished Traverse Town, the Notre Dame city and The Grid, and now I'm going back to Traverse Town to look for any treasure chests I've missed. I've got some questions:

1. Given how far I've gotten, can I get all the treasures in the worlds available to me or do I need any more special movement abilities?

I'm assuming there'll be a "secret video" to refer to the next KH. What are the requirements to earning it? I'm assuming that access to the video requires that I either pick up all the treasure chests or fill up the glossary, though I may be wrong on both guesses. I'm playing on Normal mode and I've died a couple times already in case that's relevant.

Dunno if this needs to be spoiler'd, but so far it seems like I can get nearly everything done with Freemotion attacks, so now I only have Cure, Cura and Potion in my command deck. It's inconvenient when I don't immediately have walls or rails to abuse, but it seems like I'm invincible when I do Freemotion attacks and the basic drill attack finishes with an attack that hits multiple targets anyway. Also switching between commands on the command deck is kind of awkward and puts me in big trouble. Am I playing the game the right way? =\

Anything important I should know about my Dream Eaters? So far my Meow Wow has been most useful, simply becaues it provides the Cure spells for me, so I usually have it on my team or in reserve. I can't tell if any of them make a big difference for me during fighting, except that Meow Wounce is somewhat useful and the fire ram's link super is pretty bad.

If possible, I'd rather not have any parts of the story spoiled to me, but I don't mind finding out about new abilities or new Dream Eaters from here.

I'm assuming there'll be a "secret video" to refer to the next KH. What are the requirements to earning it? I'm assuming that access to the video requires that I either pick up all the treasure chests or fill up the glossary, though I may be wrong on both guesses. I'm playing on Normal mode and I've died a couple times already in case that's relevant.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but since you're doing normal...you need 7 trophies (but one is given to you after you beat the game, so you need 6?) and you need to answer the 3 questions correctly that is asked at the end of the game

RPGCrazied

Finally got it today.

This what I have now, but something is missing.... can you guess what? :p Oh the 19th can't get here soon enough

Picture_1031.jpg

DarkPanda

I just picked up this game from Target and both the manual and the game are telling me that I should have gotten at least 1 AR card with the game, but none were in the box. Am I missing something I should have, or is the game referring to the pre-order ones only?

Gradivus

I just picked up this game from Target and both the manual and the game are telling me that I should have gotten at least 1 AR card with the game, but none were in the box. Am I missing something I should have, or is the game referring to the pre-order ones only?

You should have at least gotten on within the case. If you're not too worried about it, just look for the scans on the kingdom hearts wiki and you can scan your dream eater from that!

I'm not sure about pre-orders, but I remember reading that all first print copies of the game come with three AR Cards.

The Display Stand Card should come with every single game, though.

lDvAt.png

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit
the boss fight in Traverse Town the second time around as Sora
. Almost made me quit playing the game totally. Almost.

Holy shit

Haha, yeah. When I got there I was like, Really?

Honestly though the bosses being challenging didnt bother me at all, I welcomed it. What I did hate was that normal enemies could kill you easily near the end of the game (once I lost a half hour).

Holy shit

I assume you're talking about the triple boss battles. The second boss is the only one that was an issue as he had a wide attack radius.

Gradivus

Holy shit

The second one was a nuisance on critical mode, seeming its difficult to find a nice spot to heal without him hitting you with his long ranged attacks :(

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I assume you're talking about the triple boss battles. The second boss is the only one that was an issue as he had a wide attack radius.

Yup, that's the one. That's where I had problems too ... not so much the first or third.

Fight a whole slew of enemies, spend time leveling and creating new creature buddies. Equip some new powers you unlocked for both characters. Fight more enemies and get killed.

Didn't save, must do everything again :(

Anyone else notice these ads popping up on a number of sites:

xGJoI.jpg

I just find interesting how blunt they are with their wording of the "true follow-up" to Kh2, almost acknowledging the fact that the other games were just wasting our time.

ZenaxPure

I just find interesting how blunt they are with their wording of the "true follow-up" to Kh2, almost acknowledging the fact that the other games were just wasting our time.

Nah, it's just smart ad talk to manipulate people into thinking it's more important than the other games so they will rally for it and it won't bomb like BBS. Let's hope it actually works since BBS and 3D are actually good games and KH3 could be an absolutely amazing thing when it actually comes out.

Kamek

Entirety in spoilers, just to be safe. Just beat the game
Loved the entire game, save for The Grid. Then again, I didn't like the Tron world previously either so... Other than that, loved the game. Wish there were more than 8 spots for Deck Commands. I see a lot of 358 hate here, which I don't get. I really enjoyed that game. Some of the best characterization in the series.

No idea how anyone who hasn't played every game in the series can fully understand the story. It reminds me a bit of JK Rowling and Harry Potter - she mentioned having trouble having to catch everyone up to speed with the series in each successive novel. I thought the story glossary though did a good job, but still.

Loved the progression of bosses in Riku's endgame. Nomura you've done it again.

One thing I've always loved in KH is the motif of "falling" both figuratively and literally. The motif of "sleep" is also something interesting. I really enjoyed how both came into play in this game.

OST was once again, FANTASTIC. I can't WAIT to see what Shimomura does with a Full Final Fantasy in Versus XIII. Loved her work in Xenoblade and now this. Did she do any thing else recently besides those two games? I'd buy a game solely off the strength of her soundtrack.

thetechkid

So I just finished The Grid did not enjoy that difficulty spike with the boss, does that keep happening or was it a one time fluke?

Kamek

So I just finished The Grid did not enjoy that difficulty spike with the boss, does that keep happening or was it a one time fluke?

People keep saying that, and I didn't experience that at all, even on Proud! What difficulty level are you on? Balloonga was a spell that served me really well in the early parts of the game.

The biggest difficulty spike I faced was (and don't read this unless you're in the endgame, for any poster looking)
fighting Ansem after defeating the Anti-black coat figure. I dispatched him easily and then when Ansem's in the mode where he immediately starts charging at you from jump, I just kept getting 1 hit ko-ed

thetechkid

People keep saying that, and I didn't experience that at all, even on Proud! What difficulty level are you on? Balloonga was a spell that served me really well in the early parts of the game.

I was playing on proud and I did end up relying on Balloonga a lot, but compared to the rest of the world the boss fight with Sora was a lot more challenging.

duckroll

Which boss? Sora's or Riku's? I had difficulty with Riku's boss until I changed my strategy and just loaded my deck with range spells. Sora's boss was fucking easy though.

gosox333

Just gonna spoiler this whole thing, lol

FUCK ANSEM 2

Jesus, the other endgame bosses up to this point weren't so bad. Xemnas was a pain, but you just had to keep bocking and countering. But with Ansem 2, he has those goddamn lasers that can 1 shot you, even with second chance and once more. I know flowmotioning off the walls helps, but he still gets me every time.

I just died after getting him down to 2 bars of health. I know I'll get it eventually, but I've spent so long on this and to get so close and fail deserves a good rant. So fuck you, Ansem 2.

Are the next two bosses as bad?

thetechkid

Sora's boss, I didn't have much trouble with Riku. With Sora I'd always end up taking an insane amount of damage after landing a few hits and never have a good opening to heal or use many spells.

Thoraxes

Holy shit

I was raging on that on Proud Mode. Especially P2. Fuck. Flowmotion was worthless and I died through countering and blocking.

Holy shit

It's even worse on Critical Mode. Doesn't help that the frame rate goes to absolute shit (even more than the norm for when there's a lot on screen) there, too.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Sora's boss, I didn't have much trouble with Riku. With Sora I'd always end up taking an insane amount of damage after landing a few hits and never have a good opening to heal or use many spells.

Every boss it's actually pretty easy in this game when you start cheating, that means having only Cure, Cura and Curaga as active abilities and landing just normal attacks (or flowmotion's) while blocking sometimes the enemy's attack.

Famassu

I actually came up with the perfect way how they could've fixed the repetitiveness of the Dream Eater training and I can't believe Square Enix of all developers didn't. They should've just copy-pasted FFXIII-2's Pokemon system into the game. The kind where you can mix different monsters together, all of which have their own specialties which can be transferred to other monsters. This way you wouldn't have to get Magic Haste 2 million times during the game.

Such a missed opportunity. Oh well, I'm still of the thinking that while melding commands was really fun in BBS, grinding for their mastery isn't better than grinding in 3D.

Mr. Fix

Kinda disappointed at the secret boss
Julius. I could have definitely seen Armored Nightmare Ventus and Anti-Black Coat as the super bosses of the game.

Ragus

Banned
Ok, so I started playing today and I'm already confused.

I've just defeated the first boss with Rikku (a guy in black hood shows up and summons a big monster). Now, I can travel to another worlds.

And here is my question: Am I supposed to go to next world, or should I do something in Traverse Town with Sora? Right now, I'm in the Post Office and I'm grinding on rails and having no idea what to do.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Why did the game get a lot better at
The Three Musketeers and Fantasia worlds? I've been waiting for more Disney and it happens right near the end! :(

Phatcorns

Played the game some more and I'm now on the 4th world. I'm understanding the gameplay flow a lot better now and I also switched back to Normal. Having a much better time with it and just loving it.

I will say though, that the dream eater leveling is pure nonsense. So from my experience so far, my most effective way of getting LP to use on the command board is with water barrels? So basically, I spend most of my time playing a minigame, when my favorite thing in these games to do is beat the hell out of things?

I think that's part of what I loved about BBS, when I went to the Mirage Arena, I could just fight and fight to my heart's content and level up my abilities.

branny

So from my experience so far, my most effective way of getting LP to use on the command board is with water barrels? So basically, I spend most of my time playing a minigame, when my favorite thing in these games to do is beat the hell out of things?

I think that's part of what I loved about BBS, when I went to the Mirage Arena, I could just fight and fight to my heart's content and level up my abilities.
This is why I do not understand statements like

Oh well, I'm still of the thinking that while melding commands was really fun in BBS, grinding for their mastery isn't better than grinding in 3D.
How could it possibly be more fun in 3D to repeatedly relearn temporary things that mainly serve as obstacles between you and the commands you actually want to get, commands that often cost enough on their own (300~400LP) without the extra 20, 30, 50, 100LP pitstops on the way. You get a grand total of 1LP per enemy killed in battle. 1.

I am enjoying this but can someone help with hitting the link command when fighting bosses. I have only managed it once and its great as you can do some serious damage.

Most times it appears and vanishes so quick I too slow hitting the touch screen.

TheMink

Block -> Counter, Block -> Counter. Easy as hell!

Im disappointed this was a perfectly viable tactic for victory.

The way boss fights work in KH I and II are what i hope they go back too in KHIII

I dislike that in DDD and a little in BBS that you are basically forcing in attacks on bosses because no one stops you. And its the only way really to deal damage.

Thats my one complaint with the new command system is how much it discourages regular combos. Less in DDD than in BBS but still.

If they decide to put in the command system into the next major iteration i want them to bring back regular combos still.

What ever happened to epic finisher moves like Explosion, that crazy awesome arial finisher, and Gaurd Break, and that Magnet Finisher from KHII FM+, not to mention finishing pluses.

And the interupt move that allows you to knock your opponents in the air with timely square hit, then you could add in a couple more hits with the alternate combo with square in the air.

In DDD and BBS all you get are 3 air and regular combo pluses of the most boring ass combo ever. -_-

On a separate i enjoyed the traditional ability system much more as well, and with that keyblade abilities! (BBS might have keyblade abilities but still...)

Accessories too as long as were on the subject.

I i totally loved BBS and DDD, these are just some things i want to see again.

I am enjoying this but can someone help with hitting the link command when fighting bosses. I have only managed it once and its great as you can do some serious damage.

Most times it appears and vanishes so quick I too slow hitting the touch screen.

If you mean the reality shift (pink downward arrow on touch screen) you can activate it by pressing X+A. If you mean link commands I don't know why it vanishes cause it shouldn't but you can activate it with R+L and X for upper party member, B for lower and A for both.

Top Bottom