• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Peff

So, about flick rush. What do you get from it and how? Gold medaling all of the tournaments I'm assuming? I still don't fully get it but I'm starting to enjoy myself with it so I'll probably try doing it regardless of the reward, I just wanted to know

A trophy and a Keyblade, but I think both are for just finishing the cups and there is no extra prize after that.

botty

Banned
Based on the story of this game KH3 has to be next. They pretty much have no where else to go. I reckon KH1&2 HD would be a good move in the meantime.
Based off Birth By Sleep: FM's Secret Movie...
they could make a game about Aqua's time in the RoD. She did visit some worlds that fell to darkness afterall.

Just you wait :p

The thing that struck me as odd though was how lopsided the worlds are towards Sora. It's not so obvious at first, but Prankster's Paradise and especially Country of the Musketeers are much smaller with Riku. I wonder if that was the intention from the beginning or they just ran out of time.

Probably because the last part of the game is just Riku in The World That Never Was with something like 4 bosses

Murrah

Banned
You get medals for winning tournaments, and you can use those medals to purchase shit from the medal shop. It's kinda like a replacement for both the Mirage Arena and the Command Board in BbS. You unlock new tournaments by completing certain worlds, and by completing those unlocked tournaments. They get progressively harder, but you also earn more medals.

A trophy and a Keyblade, but I think both are for just finishing the cups and there is no extra prize after that.

Ah, thanks a lot. I feel pretty dumb for not noticing the medal shop before. Good thing flick rush is weirdly addictive

duckroll

Ah, thanks a lot. I feel pretty dumb for not noticing the medal shop before. Good thing flick rush is weirdly addictive

I <3 Card Battles too! :D

Make sure you shuffle Dream Eater parties around from time to time to keep the variety going. Each of them have different attacks. :D

Murrah

Banned
I <3 Card Battles too! :D

Make sure you shuffle Dream Eater parties around from time to time to keep the variety going. Each of them have different attacks. :D

Haha yeah I've been trying different combinations each tournament trying to find ones I really like. Gonna be farming for materials to make new ones later, I really wanna try out Ryu Dragon. Too bad no one I know has the game - flick rush is gonna be right up there with Rocket Slime as one of my favorite battle systems that I never got to try the multiplayer for

duckroll

Haha yeah I've been trying different combinations each tournament trying to find ones I really like. Gonna be farming for materials to make new ones later, I really wanna try out Ryu Dragon. Too bad no one I know has the game - flick rush is gonna be right up there with Rocket Slime as one of my favorite battle systems that I never got to try the multiplayer for

Should have had an online mode. S-E is lame and cheap once again. :(

botty

Banned
That T-rex dream eater has amazing abilities. He's also a great party member.

What dream eaters are you guys using?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I still don't get the Musketeer World.

Mickey tells Sora he's on a "secret mission", and recognizes the Keyblade, but when exactly does this take place? They never mention what mission Mickey was on, and why they're posing as Musketeers working under Pete

We've had a new Kingdom Hearts game every year, so if KH3 isn't for a while... what's next?

BbS v2?

2013-DDD FM/HD collection/KH theathrythm
2014-DDD FM/HD collection/KH theathrythm
2015-new side game on 3DS or Vita
2016-new side game on 3DS or Vita FM
2017-KH3

Watch it happen.

That T-rex dream eater has amazing abilities. He's also a great party member.

What dream eaters are you guys using?
In the last world I had AR Fruit Cat, T-Rex and AR Seal on sidelines.

What level were you guys at when you fought and beat
Xemnas
? I feel too weak right now, too weak.

30 proud. Balloonga, multiple curagas, Ars Arcanum, Second Chance, Once More and Leaf Bracer make all the diffirence. Also I suggest you use your block/guard and counter.

Also, so at the end,
why isn't Sora a keyblade master? Cause he's heart got taken over by darkness? That doesn't seem fair since ya know, it was everybody fucking with him the whole time.

Cause Yen Sid is a total troll.

After sinking about 9 hours into this, my impressions have changed. This game is a mess.

The FlowMotion kills any sense of platforming or battle strategy, Sora-Riku switching (results in artificially lengthening the game by playing the worlds twice, all KH games do this to some extent but this is ridiculous), the empty regions devoid of life, the ridiculous story...
I'm not sure if I should push through or just quit.

For those that finished it, do things get better after
the grid
?

Also, I didn't get any AR cards in my box, but the game told me to use the AR card that came with my game. Um...

Mario007

Just you wait :p

The thing that struck me as odd though was how lopsided the worlds are towards Sora. It's not so obvious at first, but Prankster's Paradise and especially Country of the Musketeers are much smaller with Riku. I wonder if that was the intention from the beginning or they just ran out of time.

Right, I meant the amount of areas more so than story-wise, which I agree it's relatively balanced. It's not really a huge difference either way, but in Hunchback for example Sora gets six or so extra maps for the Court of Miracles versus that one road with the windmill you can't even enter for Riku, or the Bell Tower. Country of the Musketeers is by far the worst case of this.

That said the two remaining worlds are much better at feeling like complete worlds story-wise, so enjoy
while you can
!

It's because at the end Sora is finished much sooner than Riku and realistically you probably should find Sora with Riku and see the scene with him shouting after Sora

So a slew of trifling gimmicks, a flimsy connective tissue to the Disney franchise, environment layouts that would fit right in on an N64 cart or PS1 disc, and a baffling and convoluted story that goes absolutely nowhere?

This sounds like every KH game!

The problem here is that BBS fixed these issues pretty much, so people expected a proper follow up.

We've had a new Kingdom Hearts game every year, so if KH3 isn't for a while... what's next?

BbS v2?

Based off Birth By Sleep: FM's Secret Movie...
they could make a game about Aqua's time in the RoD. She did visit some worlds that fell to darkness afterall.

Nomura ruled it out, it's cancelled. There was supposed to be a 'mystery game' with a protagonist that you never controlled in the series but that was cancelled in lieu of DDD as well. I'm very disappointed about the former though, cause the secret ending in BBS FM was awesome.

But probably a HD remake is gonna be made according to Nomura interviews and what this game implies.

Just beat it.

Eugh, why do I love the story so much.

Yup, cause that's exactly what the KH story needs,
time travel and dreams within dreams.

Also, so at the end,
why isn't Sora a keyblade master? Cause he's heart got taken over by darkness? That doesn't seem fair since ya know, it was everybody fucking with him the whole time.

And I guess at the end he goes back to the dream worlds to retake the test? Because if so, and KH3 starts with him just finishing and becoming a master no problem, then why not just make him one at the end of this?

I will say though,
Lea getting a keyblade was cool.

Riku and Sora better get
their own keyblade armour in the next one.

Damn, game was still amazing though. Ending kind of...dragged on I want to say.

He isn't a master, probably, because even though Riku and pretty much everyone else told him not to dive into the dream and not to follow them he went on and did it anyway. Sora's too immature to be a proper keyblade master.

that last scene was only there for the players as a closure for your time taking care of the dream-eaters according to Nomura

I think this game hints heavily at Sora having Ven's armor in KHIII.

Famassu

The FlowMotion kills any sense of platforming
No it doesn't. FlowMotion IS platforming.

or battle strategy
Good luck getting through the game spamming flowmotion attacks on Proud or Critical Mode. And even if you can do it on easier difficulty levels, why not take advantage of all the combat possibilities? Just because you can spam it doesn't mean you should.

Sora-Riku switching (results in artificially lengthening the game by playing the worlds twice, all KH games do this to some extent but this is ridiculous)
Ummm... They visit a lot of different areas in every world. Not really artificially lengthening the game since you'd have to go through the stories of the worlds no matter if the game has one or two or seven characters.

the empty regions devoid of life
I don't understand how this is a problem. The regions AREN'T devoid of life, they are populated by the enemies. Sure, some areas populated by the characters of the Disney movies would have been nice, but hardly a game changer.

For those that finished it, do things get better after
the grid
?
If you didn't enjoy The Grid, then just stop playing. That's one of the better levels in the game.

2013-DDD FM/HD collection/KH theathrythm
2014-DDD FM/HD collection/KH theathrythm
2015-new side game on 3DS or Vita
2016-new side game on 3DS or Vita FM
2017-KH3

Watch it happen.
DDD FM no (Nomura has said there are no plans for it).

KH HD Collection yes

Theatrhythm Kingdom Hearts (or Yoko Shimomura) maybe.

New side games no (again, Nomura has said they need to prioritize and how they've noticed that they need to bring the series back to consoles, meaning III).

KHIII yes (DDD is the straight build-up to it, there's nowhere to go from here but III).

botty

Banned
I think this game hints heavily at Sora having Ven's armor in KHIII.

Ven's heart guarded Sora from Darkness by covering him with armor. Sora was sleeping so he could not defend himself, otherwise Sora has no need for the armor.

DDD FM no (Nomura has said there are no plans for it).

BBS FM didn't have plans either but it happened anyway. That of course does not mean it will happen but I still believe there will be FM next year. Just because 3 main entries got one allready and its easy money for them. Of course theres also the ''1 KH game every year'' so that means they pretty much need to make a FM, Collection or some lighter game like theathrythm.

Also I would put my money on 1 more sidegame before KH3. I'm not sure if its more like DDD with new worlds or closer to CoM, Days and Coded. They might even make it at the same time with KH3 like they did with CoM and KH2/Coded, BBS and Days.

No it doesn't. FlowMotion IS platforming.

Right.

Good luck getting through the game spamming flowmotion attacks on Proud or Critical Mode. And even if you can do it on easier difficulty levels, why not take advantage of all the combat possibilities? Just because you can spam it doesn't mean you should.

Playing normal mode. I don't really play hard mode on games much anymore. Congrats on kicking butt on proud & critical mode though.

Ummm... They visit a lot of different areas in every world. Not really artificially lengthening the game since you'd have to go through the stories of the worlds no matter if the game has one or two or seven characters.

Yes thats true to an extent, maybe the branching paths get more broad later.

I don't understand how this is a problem. The regions AREN'T devoid of life, they are populated by the enemies. Sure, some areas populated by the characters of the Disney movies would have been nice, but hardly a game changer.

They are like post apocalyptic wastelands populated only by the main characters and dream eaters. it's fine.

If you didn't enjoy The Grid, then just stop playing. That's one of the better levels in the game.

I haven't started the grid yet. I just finished the hunchback level. I'll wait and see how I like the grid since you say it's the best world in the game

It's possible this game just isn't for me.
I'll stick it out through the grid and see how I feel then.

Vamphuntr

I've been playing this for around 3 hours. I must say the beginning is somewhat painful to play. There's a tutorial every 5 minutes :S . I don't like the drop system either so far. It seems more annoying than fun.

Tucah

you speak so well
Got this over the weekend and I'm now about 8 hours in, just finished the Grid with both characters. I went in with low expectations (I loved BBS but the new systems didn't sound as interesting) and while to an extent it's going as expected, I'm having a hell of a lot of fun. It's not nearly as good as BBS so far but it's still a great KH game. I'm not a huge fan of the Spirit system so far but it's serviceable - I would much rather have some Disney party members than these random, brightly colored Pokemon ripoffs but it's not a huge deal. Flowmotion is a ton of fun, I love kicking off of walls and spinning around poles. The first two worlds were fine but the Grid is fantastic - the aesthetic, the music, the little red grindy rails are all awesome (and I didn't even like Tron Legacy!). The storyline is almost nonexistant (one minute cutscenes between Disney worlds is not really doing it for me), but I don't play these games for the batshit crazy story. Great stuff so far.

Oh and Flick Rush is awesome. It's like a weird arena battle CoM-esque minigame and I love the hell out of it.

Famassu

Playing normal mode. I don't really play hard mode on games much anymore. Congrats on kicking butt on proud & critical mode though.
Well, my opinion is that KH games should not be played on anything below Proud Mode. :)

Yes thats true to an extent, maybe the branching paths get more broad later.
They do. There are at least 3 or 4 worlds where I'm pretty sure Sora & Riku never set foot on the same areas (or it's only one or two rooms)

They are like post apocalyptic wastelands populated only by the main characters and dream eaters. it's fine.
It just doesn't bother me since the enemies pop up frequently enough. It's like a hack 'n slash game in that regards and I treat it as such. Those don't have anything else but enemies in the fields & dungeons either.

I haven't started the grid yet. I just finished the hunchback level. I'll wait and see how I like the grid since you say it's the best world in the game
It's not the best world. But it is one of my favorites from the game and the level design is better than before (I agree it's pretty lackluster in the Hunchback world, though the enemies & boss fights are fun). I like Traverse Town because of its nostalgic atmosphere & Traverse in Trance is such great background music. The absolute best world in 3D (& in the series altogether, mayhaps) is
Fantasia's

botty

Banned
You're complaining about flowmotion killing battle strategy when you're not even playing at a high difficulty level, is that really fair?

Yep. Playing Kingdom Hearts on anything lower than Proud Mode is just way to easy to enjoy. You might as well just watch someone play it on youtube.

Seda

Only 2 more weeks. Or whenever new egg decides to send me my XL.

I think I'm actually gonna go pick one up in store. I don't trust my apartment complex with a package like this. Games are fine because they'll put it in a locked mailbox. But medium (not large) packages I've seen them just leave at people's door steps - even though they're not supposed to - and I'm not gonna give them the chance to do that.

RPGCrazied

I think I'm actually gonna go pick one up in store. I don't trust my apartment complex with a package like this. Games are fine because they'll put it in a locked mailbox. But medium (not large) packages I've seen them just leave at people's door steps - even though they're not supposed to - and I'm not gonna give them the chance to do that.

I live in a house. I watch my porch like a hawk. The PC I have now I had shipped from Dell. I guess I have to wait, thats the only downside. Though I did get 3day shipping.

Finally beat this game.

Really? This is the ending everyone hates? Sure the whole thirteen Xehanort thing was messed up but after that, I seem to have understood what this guy was trying to do. Now I know what to expect from KH3. I think people were mad at the fact that the plot was more ridiculous than it was confusing. All in all though, I enjoyed it.

Now give us Kingdom Hearts 3 Square Enix. That or the HD remakes of 1 and 2. I'm down for both.

Yep. Playing Kingdom Hearts on anything lower than Proud Mode is just way to easy to enjoy. You might as well just watch someone play it on youtube.

Oh I agree, I need at least somewhat of a challenge to enjoy a game.

On a side note.....WISH CRITICAL MODE WAS UNLOCkED FROM THE BEGINNING!

RPGCrazied

Is it like the other KH proud modes? The first part of the games you can die pretty easy, then by mid game you steam roll through everything.

TheMink

Word
I laugh at those who think flow motion spamming is a legit tactic. I use the floor slam (and others too but floor slam the most) on occasion if the situation allows it, but the fact that it can't get interrupted has actually cause me to flat out die lol.

EDIT: to the above^

Mm not as much but yeah I think so. the final boss is a bitch though XD

MrMephistoX

Based on the story of this game KH3 has to be next. They pretty much have no where else to go. I reckon KH1&2 HD would be a good move in the meantime.

That would be pretty awesome, might as well throw in Birth by Sleep since it's not playable on Vita.

Is it like the other KH proud modes? The first part of the games you can die pretty easy, then by mid game you steam roll through everything.

Um...I'd say the game's about the opposite, like certain things like flowmotion is kinda op against beginning regular enemies....BUT enemies do get tougher towards the end and flowmotion spamming won't get you far, and You can die by late game enemies if you're not careful IMO.

Famassu

Depends. I haven't grinded too much (I've grinded for 2-3 levels at the beginning of worlds just so that I wouldn't die on even the weakest enemies... and then gotten 2-3 levels during the level) and I probably don't quite have the optimal Dream Eater trio, so that might have a bit to do with it, but playing like this has lead me to some very, very challenging situations. Enemies are still kicking my ass in the last world and I can still die quite quickly even though I've grinded here quite a lot in preparation for the last few bosses. If you aren't careful, there are some really deadly enemies, especially if you get gangbanged by some horses/unicorns or such. This is definitely the hardest KH game so far, imo, I probably had this much problems with Critical Mode in BBS, which makes me a bit scared for 3D's Critical mode. :<

TheMink

Does anybody else hate enemies that stay in a blocking state for like 30 seconds??
Man there is nothing else I loath more, they are always the last enemy standing and I have to wait for them to stop blocking then hit like twice then wait again, and they don't even attack in between! It makes me question their existence -_-

Bladenic

Still really looking forward to playing this when I get a 3DS but it sucks to read all the comments about the story and worlds. KH3 really needs to be made. Sick of these subpar (relatively speaking) handheld games.

Finally beat this game.

Really? This is the ending everyone hates? Sure the whole thirteen Xehanort thing was messed up but after that, I seem to have understood what this guy was trying to do. Now I know what to expect from KH3. I think people were mad at the fact that the plot was more ridiculous than it was confusing. All in all though, I enjoyed it.

Now give us Kingdom Hearts 3 Square Enix. That or the HD remakes of 1 and 2. I'm down for both.

I don't neccessarily hate it as much as I don't like that they made time travel a big thing now. And I was expecting that this would literally make a start for KH3 but really we didn't get much of anything. We allready knew Xehanort was back, Aqua and Ven are still exactly the way they were and I was so sure Aqua would be back at the end of this game and Ven being woken up.

Dereck

Does anybody else hate enemies that stay in a blocking state for like 30 seconds??
Man there is nothing else I loath more, they are always the last enemy standing and I have to wait for them to stop blocking then hit like twice then wait again, and they don't even attack in between! It makes me question their existence -_-
I hate that.

Magic/magic attacks "guard break", my friend.

EDIT: By guard break, I meant it breaks the opponents blocking.

Velcro Fly

Some aspects of this game are going to be way too addicting to me. Getting all spirits and maxing out their affinity and filling out their link abilities is going to be a lot of gameplay that I'm looking forward to.

Hell I'm 9.5 hours into the game and I just beat the second world and got all treasures. I've been fooling around with creating spirits and messing around with flowmotion walljumping to explore. I see people say they've beaten the game in 20 or 25 hours and it's like holy crap i'm going to double that easily if I keep going like this. Enjoying the game so much though.

branny

Some aspects of this game are going to be way too addicting to me. Getting all spirits and maxing out their affinity and filling out their link abilities is going to be a lot of gameplay that I'm looking forward to.
I envy this viewpoint because the notion of doing that with every dream eater sounds like a completely unnecessary nuisance to me. That you have to go through practically their entire boards to get the one or two commands worth having is only made worse by the lalalala shit you have to listen to while playing that mindless water barrel thing over and over.

I envy this viewpoint because the notion of doing that with every dream eater sounds like a completely unnecessary nuisance to me. That you have to go through practically their entire boards to get the one or two commands worth having is only made worse by the lalalala shit you have to listen to while playing that mindless water barrel thing over and over.

THAT'S HOW EXACTLY I FEEL BRO!

Trying to hold off on finishing the game too quickly. I want to time it with the XL release so that I can start the New Game+ in Proud mode on it. 21 hours in and I've just begun the Country of the Musketeers. So looking forward to it.

Ghost23

Which spirits have higher healing spells than cure? Also, why do I feel as though I can only make combinations for like 6 spirits? I can't find materials for the dragon or dinosaur or any interesting spirit.
I just finished Prankster's Paradise for an idea on how far I am.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So the more I play, the more I realize ... there really is no story in the game.

I've finished up the first 3 worlds and not much has happened, put in about 8 hours. From what I gather, the game is about 15-20 hours long. Is it like this all the way through... or?

So the more I play, the more I realize ... there really is no story in the game.

I've finished up the first 3 worlds and not much has happened, put in about 8 hours. From what I gather, the game is about 15-20 hours long. Is it like this all the way through... or?

All the story is pretty much crammed into the last few hours.

Top Bottom