• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Cheska

So I just beat La Cite with Riku and I have no fucking clue what's going on. One of the posts in here had suggested using Drop Me Not's so you can finish each character respectively without having to jump back and forth but I'm wondering if I'm missing stuff by doing that. Like, I literally remember nothing story wise for that world, and yes I know that the stories in KH are crazy as hell and rarely make sense anyways but I haven't been this lost since playing 358/2 days.

ZenaxPure

In DDD and BBS all you get are 3 air and regular combo pluses of the most boring ass combo ever. -_-

Except that in BBS (and I assume 3D but I don't have the game yet) you can use 90% of the commands mid combo and then pick exactly back up where you left off in the combo which is the brilliance of it. You can have a combo (simple I know but gets my point across) that is attack 1 -> fire dash -> attack 2 -> fire dash -> attack 3 -> fire dash -> attack 4 -> fire dash -> attack 5 -> fire dash -> attack 6 for extra damage (assuming you have the ability for the damage). Weaving in the commands mid-combo is just so so so much more interesting than anything in KH1 and 2 imo.

What I would really like to see, though, is the player rewarded for using commands later in the combo. For example if you made it to your 5th attack without being stopped the command you used would get an extra damage boost, or perhaps even some would transform into a different attack the further you were in a combo when you used it.

That said, I actually do agree about boss fights. I think KH1 is about the only game in the series where I REALLY enjoyed most of the bosses. While the game and mechanics were very simple there was a lot going on in fights where you could stun enemies and then get a combo in and stuff like that. Where as KH2 was just mindless triangle spam on all bosses, and in BBS the combo system mentioned above completely falls apart because the only time you can properly get in combos is when the enemies go into their "standing around" animations. All of the bosses at the end of BBS with the exception of
Braig
just boil down to block -> counter spam, and well, it sucks.

I'm not really sure the answer on how to fix the fights while actually keeping the combat as enjoyable as it was in BBS, but, I would like to see them do something.

TheMink

Except that in BBS (and I assume 3D but I don't have the game yet) you can use 90% of the commands mid combo and then pick exactly back up where you left off in the combo which is the brilliance of it. You can have a combo (simple I know but gets my point across) that is attack 1 -> fire dash -> attack 2 -> fire dash -> attack 3 -> fire dash -> attack 4 -> fire dash -> attack 5 -> fire dash -> attack 6 for extra damage (assuming you have the ability for the damage). Weaving in the commands mid-combo is just so so so much more interesting than anything in KH1 and 2 imo.

What I would really like to see, though, is the player rewarded for using commands later in the combo. For example if you made it to your 5th attack without being stopped the command you used would get an extra damage boost, or perhaps even some would transform into a different attack the further you were in a combo when you used it.

That said, I actually do agree about boss fights. I think KH1 is about the only game in the series where I REALLY enjoyed most of the bosses. While the game and mechanics were very simple there was a lot going on in fights where you could stun enemies and then get a combo in and stuff like that. Where as KH2 was just mindless triangle spam on all bosses, and in BBS the combo system mentioned above completely falls apart because the only time you can properly get in combos is when the enemies go into their "standing around" animations. All of the bosses at the end of BBS with the exception of
Braig
just boil down to block -> counter spam, and well, it sucks.

I'm not really sure the answer on how to fix the fights while actually keeping the combat as enjoyable as it was in BBS, but, I would like to see them do something.

Im not saying get rid of the command system, im just saying flesh out the regular combos again you know?

To the bold, thats not really true at all, there were quick time events sure, but if you spammed triangle you wouldnt get anywhere for the regular fight of the battle. Additionally most quick time events require a criteria to be met, like taking out the extra heads for the hydra.
My favorite boss fights were KHII actually. I loved the reaction commands.

Yeah i hate that the "standing around" part of the fight exists as the only way to really start a combo, apart from sonic blading like a demon (and technically your just dealing damage not comboing). Unlike say sephiroth, where if you time it right you can force it in and literally stop him in his tracks.

EDIT:
And as long as were on the subject, i hate payback raid :p
I much prefer the original payback attack, you could combo out of it at least.

And in BBS and DDD i often times am spamming square so i can do a wake up block (cause you know block --> counter bosses) but instead will do a payback raid, which would be totally fine (if not better) if it was just like KHII, but the raid keeps you in the air for a good second after you do it which could be a death sentence if you were low on health.

ZenaxPure

Im not saying get rid of the command system, im just saying flesh out the regular combos again you know?

You will actually have to explain that in more detail because I don't follow.

You're original post makes it sound like regular combos are useless and you say that you only get 3 combo extensions which is being unfair. The current combo system has simply been melded into the ability system and is almost completely free form on how you decide to build your attack (using 6 attacks and 1 ability, or 5 attacks and 5 abilities inside the same animation, etc). This seems plenty fleshed out to me, I guess, if you're not combining your normal combo and skill use together then imo you're not getting the most out of the melee combat in BBS (and again, presumably 3D).

While I will say again I've never played KH2 FM to see all these amazing things people talk about, nothing for me before BBS was as satisfying as the first time I killed an enemy mid combo then used a dash attack to damage my way to the next enemy and finish the exact same combo on him, something like that wasn't possible in the original game, vanilla KH2, or Days.

Of course I am not saying it's perfect or anything, obviously, as noted a lot of the boss fights don't work well in the new system and I do agree there needs to be a little more incentive for combo use. I mean, as amazing as weaving normal combos and abilities together are, you can get by in BBS with only spamming abilities or only spamming normal attacks. I do think increasing enemy HP and then adding damage boosts the longer you chain a combo together would do a lot of wonders for this system. This way simply spamming abilities or spamming normal attacks would be very slow which would make actually using the 2 in unison required to learn.

Haven't had as much time as I'd like to play, but I finally finished the
Symphony of Sorcery
with both Sora and Riku, so I'm finally ready to take on
The World That Never Was
and find out what's going on and what all these (apparently) crazy plot twists are!

Considering the fact that I'm playing on Proud, though, I'm pretty much expecting a straight-up difficulty wall when I start, based on what people have been saying. Hoping I don't have to grind too much (I have both Sora and Riku at level 43)...

KH2 reaction commands were a good idea but ruined by allowing just mashing triangle to work.

Hoping I don't have to grind too much (I have both Sora and Riku at level 43)

I had Sora 29 and Riku 30 in proud so :/. Just make sure that you have dem Once More, Second Chance and Leaf Bracer.

gosox333

Finsished the game.

The Good:

- The worlds were amazingly huge. Easily the biggest they've been in any game to date. You can really go exploring and find some cool nooks and crannies if you want to.

- The combat is awesome. That was to be expected, though. The command menu is back and works just like BBS, and that's great.

- It's a nice challenge, story-wise, at least. I'd say DDD proud is on the level of BBS critical. I'm interested what critical is like, but I don't think I have it in me to replay the game just yet.

- Probably the best looking KH to date. Definitely the least fishmouth used in the series yet.

The Bad:

- Abilities are linked to dream eaters. Easily 2/3 of them are like that. It's really friggin' annoying when you could grind hardcore for abilities in BBS and keep them all, and here there's no way you can have even half of all that at one time. Grinding for all the abilities was definitely my favorite part of BBS, and that was completely ruined in this game.

- They really should've made a better way to farm LP than that goddamn barrel game. By the end of the game, I literally cringed whenever I had to start the barrels up and here the la la's all over again. Fuck. That.

- The story was nonexistent most of the game.
Nothing really advanced the overarching plot forward until the very last world, not counting the minute long cutscenes you'd get once both characters completed each world.

Pretty good game. I had fun with it, and as long as my bad section looks, I'd say it's one of the better games in the series. They just implemented the dream eater system completely wrong. They made it really annoying to further unlock stuff from your DE's, and once you did unlock the stuff, there was a decent chance you'd lose it once you switched your guy out. Terrible execution of what could've been an alright way of doing things.

tldr for everything; They fucked up trying to make Dream Eaters work, and that's easily the game's biggest flaw. Still a good KH game, though.

Ragus

Banned
Ragus,

Nothing in your post is spoilerish but thanks for being thoughtful :p

So, answer is genrally speaking, most of us find that running through one world with one character and then dropping to other character and replaying same world makes most sense. For one, easier to follow the events and, secondly. when you do switch after some time, you pass off bigger bonuses to your other character

Buy "drop me nots" from store to replenish your drop meter before it counts down and switches over.

Thanks for reply. Now I know what to do :D.

You can also get Once More from Tyranto Rex.

I have an Aura Lion, Tyranto Rex, and Eaglider for Sora.

Riku has a Keeba Tiger, Ryu Dragon, and Halibird.

Just beat Tron world. I feel like I'm overlevelled.
Rinzler
fight was great, but it wasn't really that hard, and normal enemies go down in like a second. Maybe that's just how the game is.

I do like the
Organization XIII
scenes when you complete a world with both Sora and Riku. I've always liked their dialogue and just the atmosphere they bring out. Also some nice furthering of the lore.
The thing with Traverse Town being a place where bodies are recompleted is pretty cool to me for some reason.

Okay, WHAT THE FUCK? I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan and consider myself quite knowledgeable and not confused in terms of the story and lore, but I just started
The World That Never Was
and already I'm completely, utterly lost. Maybe someone can help me out?

End-game spoilers, obviously:

Since when did time travel become a part of this story? I feel like the thing about the guy in the brown robe at the beginning of KH I being Xehanort's Heartless was supposed to be some big "OMGWTF?!" reveal, but it totally fell flat for me because I don't know what the hell anyone's talking about in terms of Xehanort's Heartless time traveling to make sure he's at the right place at the right time to set everything in motion, and I definitely don't see how or when he sent Young Xehanort (assuming that's who he is) on his way to play his part. I'm just so... utterly... confused. Please tell me this all gets explained and makes sense by the time the credits roll? But why do I have a feeling that's not what you guys are gonna tell me...?

For that matter, why does Sora meet Mickey-in-training twice (once in The Country of Musketeers, and once in the Symphony of Sorcery), yet Mickey doesn't know who he is on both occasions? One meeting had to have come first, because even those these Sleeping Worlds are dreaming, aren't we seeing what actually happened in the world's past, like with Prankster's Paradise? I'm so confused...

Oh, and can I say that seeing Sora in his older, more badass KH II form and then NOT GETTING TO PLAY AS HIM IN THAT FORM RIGHT AFTERWARD was a massively disappointing?

So, yeah. Help please. Thanks.

Just beat Tron world. I feel like I'm overlevelled.
Rinzler
fight was great, but it wasn't really that hard, and normal enemies go down in like a second. Maybe that's just how the game is.

I do like the
Organization XIII
scenes when you complete a world with both Sora and Riku. I've always liked their dialogue and just the atmosphere they bring out. Also some nice furthering of the lore.
The thing with Traverse Town being a place where bodies are recompleted is pretty cool to me for some reason.
You know what's cool is that

This opens up the possibility for a midquel where Sora and Riku get split into heartless and nobody and have to reassemble in Traverse Town, after Destiny Islands' destruction but before Sora arrives to Traverse Town.

We'll call it Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Seconds

So I decided to play it handicap and play the game with only the beginning keyblades and basic abilities. Health goes down incredibly slow, it's intense.

Okay, WHAT THE FUCK? I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan and consider myself quite knowledgeable and not confused in terms of the story and lore, but I just started
The World That Never Was
and already I'm completely, utterly lost. Maybe someone can help me out?

End-game spoilers, obviously:

Since when did time travel become a part of this story? I feel like the thing about the guy in the brown robe at the beginning of KH I being Xehanort's Heartless was supposed to be some big "OMGWTF?!" reveal, but it totally fell flat for me because I don't know what the hell anyone's talking about in terms of Xehanort's Heartless time traveling to make sure he's at the right place at the right time to set everything in motion, and I definitely don't see how or when he sent Young Xehanort (assuming that's who he is) on his way to play his part. I'm just so... utterly... confused. Please tell me this all gets explained and makes sense by the time the credits roll? But why do I have a feeling that's not what you guys are gonna tell me...?

For that matter, why does Sora meet Mickey-in-training twice (once in The Country of Musketeers, and once in the Symphony of Sorcery), yet Mickey doesn't know who he is on both occasions? One meeting had to have come first, because even those these Sleeping Worlds are dreaming, aren't we seeing what actually happened in the world's past, like with Prankster's Paradise? I'm so confused...

Oh, and can I say that seeing Sora in his older, more badass KH II form and then NOT GETTING TO PLAY AS HIM IN THAT FORM RIGHT AFTERWARD was a massively disappointing?

So, yeah. Help please. Thanks.
Time Travel became a big thing in this game. We knew the brown robe guy was Xehanorts Heartless in KH2 allready. Yes he is young Xehanort (literally young Xehanort, not Xehanort posessing Terra) so he has time travelled something like 70+ years into the future lol. Xehanorts Heartless was able to go back in time cause he didn't have a body and teached the young Xehanort how to time travel with a body apparently. Mickey is just a resident in the dream world so it doesn't really matter. Yes those are what the worlds were in the past but when you are there you are not _really_ in the past like in KH2 Timeless River, don't read too much into it.

Time Travel became a big thing in this game. We knew the brown robe guy was Xehanorts Heartless in KH2 allready. Yes he is young Xehanort (literally young Xehanort, not Xehanort posessing Terra) so he has time travelled something like 70+ years into the future lol. Xehanorts Heartless was able to go back in time cause he didn't have a body and teached the young Xehanort how to time travel with a body apparently. Mickey is just a resident in the dream world so it doesn't really matter. Yes those are what the worlds were in the past but when you are there you are not _really_ in the past like in KH2 Timeless River, don't read too much into it.

Yeah, I was confused as to why this game was acting like the identity of the brown-robed guy was some big mystery. I thought I remembered KH II covering that already, and besides that, I figured it out pretty handily back in KH I since it was pretty obvious that their (the brown robed guy and Xehanort's Heartless/Ansem, SoD's) voices were the same.

Anyway, about the rest of your reply... wow. WOW. The last concept this story needed to introduce this late into the game was
time travel
, but it is what it is I guess. Thanks for clearing things up!

Anyway, about the rest of your reply... wow. WOW. The last concept this story needed to introduce this late into the game was
time travel
, but it is what it is I guess. Thanks for clearing things up!

I think it makes a lot of sense. If you think about it (speculation)
There is so much bullshit at this point that they will need a mechanic in KH3 to explain it all away without raising more questions. Might as well use time machine instead of nano-machines or midichlorines or some other made up thing. I'm sure KH3 will have a lot of scenes with people shrugging and saying "well that is time travel for you!"

Dereck

That is absolutely ridiculous, I already had a hard time following the story and 3D just made it much worse. I didn't understand one cutscene once I got to TWTNW. And what's odd is that the characters talk like the player is supposed to know everything that's going on.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm level 30 with Sora and 28 with Riku.

Can I go to
The World That Never Was
or will I be royally screwed? It says I need to be level 38 ... =/.

branny

I think it makes a lot of sense. If you think about it (speculation)
There is so much bullshit at this point that they will need a mechanic in KH3 to explain it all away without raising more questions. Might as well use time machine instead of nano-machines or midichlorines or some other made up thing. I'm sure KH3 will have a lot of scenes with people shrugging and saying "well that is time travel for you!"
I actually think this is going to be the last game with so much nonsense in it. It seems like a very big effort was made to tie up all these stupid "technical" details just to set up KHIII's huge fanservice fight between the 7 and the 13 which can now magically include franchise-favorite characters previously written out (like Axel/Lea) for maximum profitability.

Dat endgame revelations.
omg_eagle1.gif

And I haven't even beaten the game yet.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I just started the game and got to the 2nd world and I'm already finding the managing/creating of spirits taxing. I find it incredibly irritating that your abilities are tied to the spirits.

Does the spirit management get any better as the game goes on?

botty

Banned
So I'm level 30 with Sora and 28 with Riku.

Can I go to
The World That Never Was
or will I be royally screwed? It says I need to be level 38 ... =/.

If Proud Mode, yes.

If Standard... no.

edit: to the question of you being royally screwed.

branny

^I was around 28~30 when I entered on Proud. I think if you have Leaf Bracer, Second Chance, and Once More, along with a deck full of Balloonra, Balloonga, and Curaga, you should be fine at that level if you're a decent player. I guess if he can grind if it's too much, so no biggie.

Does the spirit management get any better as the game goes on?
Not really. :(

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
If Proud Mode, yes.

If Standard... no.

edit: to the question of you being royally screwed.

I'm playing on Normal or whatever. I did grind a bit, I'm level 44 for Riku and Sora both lol.

Ghost23

You can also get Once More from Tyranto Rex.

I have an Aura Lion, Tyranto Rex, and Eaglider for Sora.

Riku has a Keeba Tiger, Ryu Dragon, and Halibird.

Where did you find those Dream Eaters? I am over half way through the game and have never seen a lion, dinosaur, tiger, or dragon yet.

THAT one boss (spoilers for endgame) :
When you fight...that clock/Xehanort thing with Riku. You know, the clock with the relentless Xehanort attack where you can be happy if you land ONE hit without getting yourself pounded to death
Seriously FUCK that boss. Anybody's got an advice ? (I'm level 35 btw).

Mario007

When you fight...that clock/Xehanort thing with Riku. You know, the clock with the relentless Xehanort attack where you can be happy if you land ONE hit without getting yourself pounded to death

Block them and wait till they stop coming at you. There's a small window of opportunity in there that can be exploited. Also I beat it at level 41 on proud so you might be underleveled.

You can either restart the battle after filling your command deck with long rang commands or you can keep dodging until there is a pause between his attacks. I did the latter and I'm not sure if this always happens, but he went back to normal after a while. Though he only had two bars of health. After those were gone he switched back to clock mode again with only two bars of health, again. Then I was finally able to beat him by waiting him out.

Mario007

You can either restart the battle after filling your command deck with long rang commands or you can keep dodging until there is a pause between his attacks. I did the latter and I'm not sure if this always happens, but he went back to normal after a while. Though he only had two bars of health. After those were gone he switched back to clock mode again with only two bars of health, again. Then I was finally able to beat him by waiting him out.

Yeah this does always happen.

Try getting Once More and Second Chance abilities. Also consider getting Dream Eaters with Defense Boost, HP Boost, and Dark Screen.

Block them and wait till they stop coming at you. There's a small window of opportunity in there that can be exploited. Also I beat it at level 41 on proud so you might be underleveled.

I beat it when I was in my level 30s, so he doesn't need to go that high provided he has the right abilities.

And pretty much everything he said. Firaga spells, Thunder Dash, and the like.

So, I'm at
Fantasia World
now. LVL 35 with both Sora and Riku, playing on proud. I got 3 trophies, how many do I need to unlock the secret ending? And there's only one world left now =( Is it big at least?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
lol @ the story.

I understand shit all at this point.
I just completed the game with Sora. What the fucking fuck? LOL.

7 trophies ^ last world has waves of tough enemies. Good place to lvl and grind!

guys: where do i find epic fantasy?

Got stumped at last boss so im going back getting gold for dives and looking for all treasures

You can find Epic Fantasies from Special Portals as Riku.

Prankster's Paradise: Portals 4 (Belly), 5 (Bowels), and 6 (Cavity).

Country of Musketeers: Portals 4 (Backstage), 5 (Theatre), and 6 (Green Room).

Symphony of Sorcery: Portals 4 (Golden Wood) and 5 (Moonlight Wood).

You can tell if a Special Portal is active by checking the Forecast.

I'm at
The World that Never Was
, but have decided to go back and play through some of the previous worlds until I'm level 38+ or so. I'm on proud and was getting a little agitated with how quickly Sora/Riku get knocked down to red when the enemies swarm in. I'm also doing it to pick up some chests I missed, level up some Dream Eaters for the abilities/spells, etc. So far have both characters at level 35.

I'll echo some other comments and say that the world design for this game is far-and-above the best in any Kingdom Hearts game. The flowmotion has attributed greatly to that, so here's hoping they keep it in for future titles.

EDIT: Also, balloon spells freakin' rock. They've saved my bacon multiple times.

njean777

So I am on the
Prankster world
so far and still am sticking with my first dream eaters, I am not to sure why I should be making more... can anybody explain why I should? I created like 4 so far and see no point to creating more so far...

So I am on the
Prankster world
so far and still am sticking with my first dream eaters, I am not to sure why I should be making more... can anybody explain why I should? I created like 4 so far and see no point to creating more so far...

The link board for each spirit is your main source for getting new skills and abilities. If you don't create newer spirits, you'll be severely limited in what skills you have at your disposal, as well as your passive abilities, elemental resistances, etc.

njean777

The link board for each spirit is your main source for getting new skills and abilities. If you don't create newer spirits, you'll be severely limited in what skills you have at your disposal, as well as your passive abilities, elemental resistances, etc.

I really hate when games do this, why can we not go back to the old days where you earn them with experience instead of making these arbitrary ways of earning these abilities...Guess I will make every new spirit I get now.

Kard8p3

Maybe it's just me but I'm really liking the voice actor for
Young Xehanort.
I thought he sounded familiar so I looked him up and noticed he played Eddie Brock/Venom in the Spectacular Spider-man.

Beat it today.
I liked :
+ The graphics . Beautiful, especially in 3D.
+ The command system, they didn't get back to another system.
+ You can control Riku !
+ The spirits battle minigame is surprisingly addictive.
+ New Disney worlds, hurra !
+ The worlds' layouts change between Riku and Sora from a certain point of time.
+ Flowmotion.
+
Unlocking the theater, yay
+ The World Ends With You characters' cameos.
+ Enemies are more aggressive than in previous KH titles.

I didn't like :
- The fact that the drop system doesn't save what you were doing / the damage dealt to enemies. It's infuriating how you have to redo a boss when you ALMOST beat it.
- Worlds are absolutely devoid of life and NPC.
- Xehanort / OrgXIII overshadowing Disney.
- Not enough Disney bosses / villains.
- No Command Board :(
- The beginning of the game is slow, slow, sloooooow.
- The reality shift system is boring and breaks fluidity. I only truly liked Fantasia's and the last world's.
- Riku's endgame
Seriously, fuck all those bosses. Fuck Ven's Nightmare
- After summarizing the series other games, and making some kind of SENSE out of them, the game goes out of his way to make the most convulted and nonsensical plot ever
Seriously, fucking time travel ? And they doesn't explain how it even works ? whyyyy ? Plus some of the most idiotic plot points and twists...

Overall, I liked it, but far less than KH1, KH2 and BbS. I only hope next installment will bring back what we loved from KH1, 2 and BbS...
Spoiler for the secret video :
Well controlling multiple characters or having Riku and Kairi in your party could be cool, but it's been too long without Donald and Goofy...

Top Bottom