• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

I don't get how the powering up the link bar works. It said something about hitting at the same time as your Spirits, but how is there any finesse to that? Is there a point where the combat really opens up? You have to keep making new Spirits, right?

I wish there was a way to reverse the L and R camera controls. Really awkward having L look right and R look left.

Esura

Banned
I picked the game up today and I played about an hour of it.

Coming from someone who probably only played an hour tops of BBS several years ago (and did not even touch the other DS ones), I would have to say that DDD is so far beyond KH2 that it is not even funny. More emphasis on abilities (even though flowmotion seems pretty broken right now, and I started on proud mode), less "Press Triangle to watch Sora do over-the-top shit for two bars of the boss's health."

Story-wise, I kinda know the gist of what happens in BBS, but even I had to go "WTF" when Yensid was casually dropping references to the keyblade versus the "Chi/X-Blade". Man, KH2 really did lead this series off the deep end.

But regardless, I'm having fun and I hope that continues. Perhaps this will finally motivate me to get to BBS after I'm done.

It was heading there by the end of the first KH and CoM. :D

You should of probably did BBS first though. They mention a lot of stuff from BBS.

also

Banned
I don't get how the powering up the link bar works. It said something about hitting at the same time as your Spirits, but how is there any finesse to that? Is there a point where the combat really opens up? You have to keep making new Spirits, right?

I wish there was a way to reverse the L and R camera controls. Really awkward having L look right and R look left.

The link bar fills when your spirit hits enemies. If both you and your spirit hit an enemy at the same time, its link bar fills by greater amount. I wouldn't worry about the spirits, just keep hacking away at the enemies, and let the spirits do their own thing. It's recommended you create star ranked spirits (better stats) and use a Dream Candy during fusion to increase their affinity so that they fight better. You could also just use the spirits from the AR cards; they are good enough, especially the cat.

With Sora facing forward, L looks over Sora's left shoulder, wile R looks over Sora's right shoulder. Isn't this how it's supposed to be?

I have a question about a certain Dream Eater fight.

I ran across this variation of a Sir Kyoo in the Fantasia world that had ridiculous HP. I got about halfway through his HP before he left. I didn't think much of it and moved on. I ran across him again in the Hunchback world. Is there a guide to find him? I don't remember his name, so I can't look him up.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mzo

With Sora facing forward, L looks over Sora's left shoulder, wile R looks over Sora's right shoulder. Isn't this how it's supposed to be?
There are two ways to do camera controls. One way the button you press makes the screen turn in the direction you pressed, the other one makes the camera object rotate around your character and swings the screen around the opposite way.

Just get used to it. You press the wrong one a couple of times and then you're fine.

also

Banned
I have a question about a certain Dream Eater fight.

I ran across this variation of a Sir Kyoo in the Fantasia world that had ridiculous HP. I got about halfway through his HP before he left. I didn't think much of it and moved on. I ran across him again in the Hunchback world. Is there a guide to find him? I don't remember his name, so I can't look him up.

Anyone have any ideas?

That's Lord Kyoo. He cycles between 3 locations: Riku Fantasia (Moonlit Wood)-->Riku Hunchback (nave)-->Sora Pinocchio (promontorium)-->Riku Fantasia.... Its HP do not regenerate. Apparently only the character that beats him gets a HP bonus, so keep that in mind.

There are two ways to do camera controls. One way the button you press makes the screen turn in the direction you pressed, the other one makes the camera object rotate around your character and swings the screen around the opposite way.

Just get used to it. You press the wrong one a couple of times and then you're fine.
I know, but Snacks the sober sea lion said that pressing L made you look right, but in reality it pans the camera left, that's why I commented.
And while I don't really have a problem adjusting to inverted controls that's not always the case for other people, so it should be mandatory for developers to include the option. *cough* Nintendo *cough*

So if anyone else has beaten the game, could they check the credits and see if they spot THIS during the ending credits?

That's Lord Kyoo. He cycles between 3 locations: Riku Fantasia (Moonlit Wood)-->Riku Hunchback (nave)-->Sora Pinocchio (promontorium)-->Riku Fantasia.... Its HP do not regenerate. Apparently only the character that beats him gets a HP bonus, so keep that in mind.

Damnit. I think I'm past the point of getting that last place.

Just finished the game and I had a good time overall. Definitely had some issues with it for the most part, like the command deck. I missed making new skills by combining other ones. Initially, I liked the idea of the Spirits in DDD, but I kinda felt the execution sucked. It kinda felt like there wasn't any incentive to mix and match stuff outside of Links. Plus it kinda felt hard to tell what each one's "class" was.

Off to YouTube to see
the secret message since I missed the first damn letter.

Just entered
The World That Never Was
. Story DEFINITELY picking up. Starting to blow my mind. Do I need to go play KH1 again LOL

Just beat Wargoyle on my Lv1 Critical run.

I must've tried at least 10 times. It's not because he's hard, but it's because of the combination of the camera spazzing out, hitting the border without noticing, LOSING the stupid lock on and not being able to lock on if he's behind the camera and I'm just 10 feet away.

Where do epic fantasy and interpid fantasy drop?

Epic Fantasy = if you're lucky, your random AR card pops out Ursa Circus. Just kill him.
Intrepid Fantasy = buy from shop during sale

PK Gaming

Ok so I just beat the game.

Thoughts? Solid game, but more in that later. I want to talk about:

Time travel.

I mean it sounds absurd but...

Nomura really nailed it. The established rules and intricacies... idk it sounds cool and awesome. I really liked how Xehanorts young self is going through time getting and getting things done, and I also love how he was on Destiny island the entire time.

I'm really interested in KH3, I literally can't wait.

RPGCrazied

Epic Fantasy = if you're lucky, your random AR card pops out Ursa Circus. Just kill him.
Intrepid Fantasy = buy from shop during sale

What does that mean? AR card pops out Ursa Circus? Only AR card I have and used was the 2 dreameaters.

Any shop for the intrepid fantasy?

I think my card expired not too long ago but I still get a bunch of emails for promotions and statements. Any chance the card would still work?

RPGCrazied

Also... how do you fight the special dreameater battles? Must wifi be on? You know the ones on the forecast with the ? and the blank picture. Haven't fought one yet.

Also... how do you fight the special dreameater battles? Must wifi be on? You know the ones on the forecast with the ? and the blank picture. Haven't fought one yet.
You can find those in Portals labeled with the word Special. The forecast must show that a special Dream Eater has been sighted.

I did. But when I go to the world all I see is a pink portal on the map. But I have WiFi turned off.

I don't think WiFi affects Portals. Make sure you are zoomed in on the map. When you approach the Portal, a little box will pop up on your map telling you which kind of Portal it is. You can then tap this box to activate the Portal.

I'm stuck at
Xemnas
. I looked at a walkthrough and I'm ten levels short of where the author was when he was at this point. Yikes, guess I'll be grinding for awhile...

Hmm.. well, the only portal I've seen zoomed out is the pink one, sometimes it will have an x in the middle of it.

Let's make sure we're on the same page. There are many different types of Portals, such as Link, Special, and Secret Portals. These all look the same on the map.

7nLVc.jpg

The portal is that pink flower-like icon on the map. As you move closer, a little box will appear above the Portal as long as your map is zoomed in. As you can see above, the box contains three Dream Eater icons, but I think these are only one type of Portal. If you are looking for Special Portals, the box will only contain the word Special with no Dream Eater icons.

Edit: I do seem to recall some Portals having a little X in the middle, but this is only a cosmetic difference.

RPGCrazied

Let's make sure we're on the same page. There are many different types of Portals, such as Link, Special, and Secret Portals. These all look the same on the map.

7nLVc.jpg

The portal is that pink flower-like icon on the map. As you move closer, a little box will appear above the Portal as long as your map is zoomed in. As you can see above, the box contains three Dream Eater icons, but I think these are only one type of Portal. If you are looking for Special Portals, the box will only contain the word Special with no Dream Eater icons.

Edit: I do seem to recall some Portals having a little X in the middle, but this is only a cosmetic difference.

Yeah thanks, I seem to be fighting computer a.i dreameaters, have yet to find the special dreameater from the forecast.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
One thing I'm not quite understanding--Flick Rush needs 3 spirits in your party. I can only get one.

Is there any way to earn more in your party?

Well.

Just beat it and hmmm.

So do we know if the Sombodies retained any of their abilities when they returned to their former selves? I mean obviously Lea did and I suppose Isa did as well given that he still had his Claymore. I thought it might be explained by the fact that since Saix, just like Braig, was a worthy vessel and as such retained his power. But then that doesn't explain Lea retaining his fire.

Wanted to see more of the Sombodies to be honest. I hope they have a least somewhat of a pronounced role in KH III or at the very least Ienzo and Even :D

In addition, isn't Radiant Garden what Hollow Bastion was before the Heartless descended upon it? How an Lea go back to RG when HB exists?

Also, I could have SWORN I saw Marluxia in Where Nothing Gathers as one of the XIII...

Well.

Just beat it and hmmm.

So do we know if the Sombodies retained any of their abilities when they returned to their former selves? I mean obviously Lea did and I suppose Isa did as well given that he still had his Claymore. I thought it might be explained by the fact that since Saix, just like Braig, was a worthy vessel and as such retained his power. But then that doesn't explain Lea retaining his fire.

Wanted to see more of the Sombodies to be honest. I hope they have a least somewhat of a pronounced role in KH III or at the very least Ienzo and Even :D

In addition, isn't Radiant Garden what Hollow Bastion was before the Heartless descended upon it? How an Lea go back to RG when HB exists?

Also, I could have SWORN I saw Marluxia in Where Nothing Gathers as one of the XIII...
Actually I think its Saix rather than Isa in the end. Same as Xigbar. I suspect Isa and Braig are 2 of the hooded figures not revealed but who knows.
Also in KH2 Hollow Bastion returns to use the name Radiant Garden after you complete the Tron world.

Actually I think its Saix rather than Isa in the end. Same as Xigbar. I suspect Isa and Braig are 2 of the hooded figures not revealed but who knows.
Also in KH2 Hollow Bastion returns to use the name Radiant Garden after you complete the Tron world.

I have to wonder why they didn't return to their natural selves then...

I have to wonder why they didn't return to their natural selves then...

Remember the opening scene that shows all of them waking up in Radiant Garden post-KH2, and then Braig getting impaled in the heart with a Keyblade (presumably from Terranort's perspective? Terranort turned both Braig and Isa back into Nobodies, presumably.

I mean, maybe that was a flashback to the pre-KH1 stuff, but I dunno.

Remember the opening scene that shows all of them waking up in Radiant Garden post-KH2, and then Braig getting impaled in the heart with a Keyblade (presumably from Terranort's perspective? Terranort turned both Braig and Isa back into Nobodies, presumably.

That is possible too but it can just as well be a flashback showing that turning them into nobodies was all part of Xehanorts plan all along.

also

Banned
That is possible too but it can just as well be a flashback showing that turning them into nobodies was all part of Xehanorts plan all along.

I thought it was most definitely a flashback. Why else would Xenahort call himself Ansem and why would Braig reference the memory loss from BBS's ending?

Out of everyone I'd think Xaldin/Marluxia/Larxene would be some of the other perfect vessels...was bummed they weren't anywhere to be seen...though I suppose since they were "traitors" they weren't committed to the cause...then again Ienzo and Even were as well. Maybe because they weren't apprentices?

What does that mean? AR card pops out Ursa Circus? Only AR card I have and used was the 2 dreameaters.

Any shop for the intrepid fantasy?

There are 3 AR Cards that come with the game.

1. One card with three DEs in the picture (Meowjesty, Ursa Circus, Sudo Neku). You get one of the mentioned DEs when you scan the card. Every time you start the game, the game picks one of those and the card will only spawn that DE for that game, no matter how many times you scan.
123px-AR_Card_AKHE-001.png

2. One random DE card (Kab Cannon, Frootz Kat, R&R Seal), randomly picked for each copy of the game.
123px-AR_Card_AKHE-005.png

123px-AR_Card_AKHE-004.png

123px-AR_Card_AKHE-003.png

3. One 360 viewer card
123px-AR_Card_AKHE-002.png

Intrepid Fantasies get sold during sales at any shop after a point in the game but I don't know when exactly it happens. I was already at the end of the game when I bothered collecting materials.

One thing I'm not quite understanding--Flick Rush needs 3 spirits in your party. I can only get one.

Is there any way to earn more in your party?

Make more spirits?

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327569

Starting today(?), you can get Kingdom Hearts 3D for $29.99 if you are a PowerUpRewards member at Gamestop. Early access for Gamestop's Labor Day Sale.

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/games/kingdom-hearts-3d-dream-drop-distance/98787

The price is still MSRP but if you add it to your cart and put your PUR#, you'll see the discount.

Theatrhythm is also on sale for $29.99 btw.

I bought the game today and was pleasantly surprised to see it ring up at $30 because I had no idea it was going on sale. For anyone interested, I only have the free card. I thought you needed to pay the $15 or whatever it is for the real card to get discounts

Pretty fun so far even if nothing makes sense. Why do his clothes keep changing!?!

Psxphile

I mean, maybe that was a flashback to the pre-KH1 stuff, but I dunno.

Uh yeah, that's a flashback. The supposed "incident" that caused the founding members of the Org to lose their hearts and become Nobodies.
Terranort somehow unlocked a part of his memory during their heart experiments and set Xehanort's plan in motion, whether purposely or by accident. I say a part, because he's still not sure who he is and resorts to adopting the name Ansem.

7nLVc.jpg

To expound, there are 4 classes of Portals: Battle (self-explanatory, just fight DEs and win materials), Friendship (allows you to "borrow" Dream Eaters for a short while), Special (same as Battle but tend to include rare and powerful DEs and appear as silhouettes on your sub-screen until beaten) and Secret (essentially powered up versions of that World's boss, only appear after beating the game and saving clear data, and always in the same place).

Well, technically there's also the Link portals but I never messed with Streetpass.

The portals are X'ed if you're Linked with a Spirit or in the middle of a battle (basically any situation where you can't access your subscreen).

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Even though I've been spending a lot of time playing this game, I don't think I've crawled through a KH this slow before. The special portals, DE petting/creation/evolution, and drop system have slowed my progress dramatically. And I'm still not sure whether it's a good thing or bad thing.

I know they're choices I've made, but even with my OCD intact I experienced new worlds faster in previous KHs.

RPGCrazied

Geeze, spellican was fucking annoying. Would. not. stay. put. :p I can't imagine him on proud/critical.

At last world now with 20 hours.

Finally returned to play it after shelving it for irl/anime stuff.

Really still meeting the twewy characters, but can someone please describe Kingdom Hearts, that is, define "Kingdom hearts" in the context of "kingdom hearts franchise,' somehow couldnt wrap my head around its flashback moment. Its a place and an object?

Silvawuff

I'm really enjoying this game so far. I was dismissive of spirits at first, but they work to give the game interesting depth. I like how the worlds are much bigger than BBS too. Hopefully when KH3 comes out, the trend will continue.

Top Bottom