• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

So they're locking one of the most important stories in KH behind a browser game and a mobile game and they're not going to leave Japan? ok square enix

zeemumu

UX is coming.

A meaningless comment. One who knows nothing about the release date can understand nothing about the release date.

Look as hard as you are able. You'll not find even the smallest glimmer of a release date! From those dark depths is all pessimism born! Even yours.

Famassu

So they're locking one of the most important stories in KH behind a browser game and a mobile game and they're not going to leave Japan? ok square enix

So far there's very little importance that we don't already know. It's far from "one of the most important stories". That could change, but all that is really essential to know about that time period so far is that there were different factions fighting for light, causing a big Keyblade War that engulfed the universe in darkness, but the innocence & light inside the hearts of children saved the world from total destruction, yet left worlds separated from each other. Master Xehanort might have had something to do with it, but it doesn't really change the good-to-know essentials all that much.

We know most of that through other games already, other than the faction leaders and the whole thing being prophesied.

Malyse

So far there's very little importance that we don't already know. It's far from "one of the most important stories". That could change, but all that is really essential to know about that time period so far is that there were different factions fighting for light, causing a big Keyblade War that engulfed the universe in darkness, but the innocence & light inside the hearts of children saved the world from total destruction, yet left worlds separated from each other. Master Xehanort might have had something to do with it, but it doesn't really change the good-to-know essentials all that much.

We know most of that through other games already, other than the faction leaders and the whole thing being prophesied.
Xehanort absolutely doesn't have anything to do with it.

Famassu

Xehanort absolutely doesn't have anything to do with it.
It's either something like Xehanort's first incarnation or Xehanort's mentor or someone with some kind of ties to him. The black hooded robe of that mystery man in Chi is too much of a coincidence otherwise. If there's something that stays constant in KH, it's that there are no coincidences. Everything is connected somehow. If there is a blackhooded figure, then he'll very likely have connections to other blackhooded figures in the franchise, who are mostly bad guys.

Unless it's some kind of misdirection and the blackhooded figure is actually a good guy who is trying to prevent all of the shit from happening.

Malyse

It's either something like Xehanort's first incarnation or Xehanort's mentor or someone with some kind of ties to him. The black hooded robe of that mystery man in Chi is too much of a coincidence otherwise. If there's something that stays constant in KH, it's that there are no coincidences. Everything is connected somehow. If there is a blackhooded figure, then he'll very likely have connections to other blackhooded figures in the franchise, who are mostly bad guys.

Unless it's some kind of misdirection and the blackhooded figure is actually a good guy who is trying to prevent all of the shit from happening.

The goat key was already ancient before Xehanort took the mark of mastery. We know this from both DDD and the KH3 trailers when Eraqus and Xehanort were talking. Furthermore, all of Xehanort's machinations are to see what lies beyond the Keyblade War. If he had a hand in creating it the first go round, there's no reason for him to have done what he's done as he would already know. Also, Riku and Mickey use black coats as well.

Malyse

http://khxnvtweets.tumblr.com/

-----

http://www.khinsider.com/news/Messa...ture-of-the-Main-Story-Unchained-Updates-5963

http://www.designntrend.com/article...-character-pixar-world-multiplayer-teased.htm

The relevant part

With regard to Sora's diminished role in future "Kingdom Hearts" titles, franchise director Tetsuya Nomura hinted as much in an official Square Enix update. He mentioned that new characters like the Foretellers, Chirithy and Ephemera of the "Kingdom Hearts Unchained X" mobile game "are the future and may become what exists in the main storyline of the 'Kingdom Hearts' series."

Honestly, I would love it if they made character creation and custom outfits like [chi] and Unchained χ the standard for the series. Bioware RPG's (among many other games) show that you can tell a story with a custom character and I think the story would be perfectly amenable to that in a post KH3 world.

However, I think the best solution would be a White Knight Chronicles/Fire Emblem situation, in that you can create an avatar that would be inserted beside the plot.

http://khxnvtweets.tumblr.com/

-----

http://www.khinsider.com/news/Messa...ture-of-the-Main-Story-Unchained-Updates-5963

http://www.designntrend.com/article...-character-pixar-world-multiplayer-teased.htm

The relevant part

Honestly, I would love it if they made character creation and custom outfits like [chi] and Unchained χ the standard for the series. Bioware RPG's (among many other games) show that you can tell a story with a custom character and I think the story would be perfectly amenable to that in a post KH3 world.

However, I think the best solution would be a White Knight Chronicles/Fire Emblem situation, in that you can create an avatar that would be inserted beside the plot.
god it pisses me off that chi is important

i wonder if they're even going to release unchained worldwide now

botty

Banned
This really isn't comparable to coded in the least.

It's a completely new (even meta) setting.

A game with a slow drip story that spans years, on a unique platform, that goes through familiar worlds in a new way.

The data world is technically new setting (and of interest to certain characters), with an arguably meta coexistence with the real world.

If we have to parallel Chi with any other game in the series, Coded is definitely it. I mean... the game even borrows Re:Coded's Avatar Menu art style :/

You know what's up botty. Greatest secret movie, too

Quality always wins.

First time poster in this Community. Just wanted to ask what this was about:

Apparently Chi and Unchained take place in alternate timelines from each other

I've only been caught up to DDD and I know nothing about Chi and Unchained. Is there a reason why they are separate timelines? I don't care about spoilers.

Or wait, is Backcover the alternate timeline? Those three games make no sense to me. For the first time since '02 I've been confused about the story in the series. :\

Tsunamo

A meaningless comment. One who knows nothing about the release date can understand nothing about the release date.
One who knows nothing about Japanese can understand nothing.
Especially Blood Diamonds if he tries to play Chi Unchained in Japanese
First time poster in this Community. Just wanted to ask what this was about:

I've only been caught up to DDD and I know nothing about Chi and Unchained. Is there a reason why they are separate timelines? I don't care about spoilers.

Or wait, is Backcover the alternate timeline? Those three games make no sense to me. For the first time since '02 I've been confused about the story in the series. :\
From what I understand Backcover's morelike delving into the conflict between the faction leaders and more of the story of the master of masters (master of all the unions leaders in chi/unchained/backcover) whereas Chi and Unchained are you exploring worlds and doing work for the union you pick. As for why they're separate
it's implied that one of the characters from one of the latest story updates and story differences between the two that one of the characters maybe dimension/realm hopping and that they're separate, but the story's still unraveling and revealing more and more stuff between the both of them.
Unchained is similar to Chi in basic story of the disney worlds and missions though.

DreamDrop/Famatsu probably can explain it better than I can.

So basically we're never going to play Chi/Unchained? God dammit Nomura.

"Unchained was made so international audiences can enjoy it as well"

Unchained released in Japan with no evidence of a close US release or even If it's still in development . Yes Square does stealth cancel their mobile localizations

notaskwid

I wonder if Kingdom Hearts 2.8 will have a digital version... As far as I know, at least in Europe none of the Kingdom Hearts game have a digital version. Maybe it's because the contention with Hikki about the music.
My bet is it won't and because MS required it the game is not lauching on Xbox

zeemumu

In japanese. I just want an easy write up that tells me what happens in the two games so I can play Backcover, 0.2, and KH3 and not be lost like players were with KH2 and not playing CoM.

I saw a blog once that summarized the story so far, but I wouldn't recommend checking it out.

Psxphile

I saw a blog once that summarized the story so far, but I wouldn't recommend checking it out.
It's not like it's been updated since then, but the youtube channel is still progressing:

KHχ [chi] - English Walkthrough

Unchained released in Japan with no evidence of a close US release or even If it's still in development . Yes Square does stealth cancel their mobile localizations

What was their excuse for not localizing χ [chi] again? Did they not have any confidence in releasing a browser game for western consumption?

At first I did not want Inside Out world but then someone suggested it would be tied in to waking up Ven and I became a believer.

It might be too recent world doe. Then again Tron Legacy came out like just over a year before DDD.

Malyse

At first I did not want Inside Out world but then someone suggested it would be tied in to waking up Ven and I became a believer.

It might be too recent world doe. Then again Tron Legacy came out like just over a year before DDD.
Nomura sees films far in advance of their release.

botty

Banned
Also, adding recent worlds is probably something disney would want so it can promote and advertise their recent projects.

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't think shit being recent has ever been a problem in KH games.

Look at KH2. It had lightsabers and deflecting hundreds of lasers, and Disney only acquired Star Wars a decade later.

KH truly is time travel shenanigans

zeemumu

Eh, maybe. Ven's not going through depression though. He's a comatose empty husk of a body.

kaitain19

Eh, maybe. Ven's not going through depression though. He's a comatose empty husk of a body.

Which is exactly the reason why Ven's mind would make a great world in KH3. We could find out what's exactly going on inside his head and what happens to his emotions while he's in a coma for years.

And who knows, maybe Vanitas will be in there somewhere.

zeemumu

I hope the next world revealed (at E3 2016?) is from an older Disney movie like The Jungle Book or Robin Hood.

That wouldn't be the best idea. Robin Hood and Jungle Book are too similar due to repurposed animation. It'd be like "Hey Baloo. Oh hey Balo-I mean Little John."

DKHF

That wouldn't be the best idea. Robin Hood and Jungle Book are too similar due to repurposed animation. It'd be like "Hey Baloo. Oh hey Balo-I mean Little John."
I didn't mean both in the same trailer lol. One or the other in the trailer then both in the full game.

And even in the full game two similar looking worlds would be fine with me.

Tsunamo

Never ceases to make me laugh.
At first I did not want Inside Out world but then someone suggested it would be tied in to waking up Ven and I became a believer..
I haven't seen the movie but yeah that idea sold me on it as a world. Not sure how it could be handled getting back to story wise post-ven wakeup but it would be great as Kingdom Hearts 3's suprise world inside a world like Tron in Kingdom Hearts 2.

Tsunamo

8968.png

Top Bottom