• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

Slater

Banned
Cloud is not a parody of himself though. Also, your referring to Nojima writing, not Nomura.
Clouds iconic image in pop culture being a brooding emo is a parody of what he actually was in the original game. That stuff happened under Nomuras watch in his games and media.

And come on you don't have to defend him so hard over everything, forget Cloud, Nojima hasn't written KH sense 2 and look at what's happend to it, especially DDD, story became nonsense and Sora became a naive idiot dumber then he was in the first game, which is the type of flanderization I'm talking about.

Or should I just blame the other writers even though he is a known micro manager who dictates everything which is how the games all have the same tone despite diffirent writers.

Ray Down

Banned
I'm playing through Dream Drop Distance for the first time with this collection and just got to the Three Musketeers world. That is up there with the Chicken Little summon as something that is just a really really bizarre choice for Disney representation.

It is a weird inclusion, but I'm guessing it was one of Disney more popular direct to DVD movies.

Can't wait for Notre Dame 2, where Haley will act against himself.

Clouds iconic image in pop culture being a brooding emo is a parody of what he actually was in the original game. That stuff happened under Nomuras watch in his games and media.

And come on you don't have to defend him so hard over everything, forget Cloud, Nojima hasn't written KH sense 2 and look at what's happend to it, especially DDD, story became nonsense and Sora became a naive idiot dumber then he was in the first game, which is the type of flanderization I'm talking about.

Or should I just blame the other writers even though he is a known micro manager who dictates everything which is how the games all have the same tone despite diffirent writers.

Can you explain to me Cloud's character arc in the original game and how that conflicts with AC. Because i don't see how the resolution of an identity disorder and the associated symptoms of detachment and manipulation mean that the character can't ever be depressed later on for completely different reasons.

Or maybe being taciturn at the start of FF7 and Advent Children means he's the same character :)

BbS wasn't total nonsense

I mean yeah, I guess a newborn Sora repairing Ven's heart is kind of silly, though it does help set events into motion

But outside of that it mostly made sense. As far as making sense in a kingdom Hearts can get anyway

Slater

Banned
Speaking of new worlds, put a gargoyles world and Aya Brea in 3 and all would be right with the world, just let her keep her cloths and actual personality this time Nomura please.

Ray Down

Banned

I mean yeah, I guess a newborn Sora repairing Ven's heart is kind of silly, though it does help set events into motion

But outside of that it mostly made sense. As far as making sense in a kingdom Hearts can get anyway

This is how I feel about BBS, it also might as well be Watanade best written game in like...the past 10 years.

Tsunamo

BbS made sense and felt like a really well done tragic prequel that explained a bunch of things (and why the protags weren't there after it) really well.

I was so excited to see where the series would go from there, then Dream Drop Distance happened.

Ray Down

Banned
BbS made sense and felt like a really well done tragic prequel that explained a bunch of things (and why the protags weren't there after it) really well.

I was so excited to see where the series would go from there, then Dream Drop Distance happened.

This...still rather that game be the lead into 3.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

My first issue is that you seem to be directing all of your hatred of what you don't personally like towards one person based on false assumptions, like him being the direct writer of these games.

My second issue is that you falsely conflate Cloud's character as "brooding emo" because he's not a semi blank slate emulating another person like in the very first game, which was 20 years ago.

Its the fandom's misrepresentation of the character that is to blame, not how he is actually portrayed.

In AC he's battling depression, in Crisis core he's normal, in FF7 he doesn't even know who he is. In Disiddia plot related events make him hardend and in KH he's emulating another character entirely.

Get it now?

Slater

Banned

Oh I agree, love BBS but outta the games that came after 2 it's definitely the exception when it comes to writting which is part of why it's so well loved in the first place.

It's time I defend my game is DDD really really that much worse from any of the other kh stories? The time travel is the only thing that seems a bit wonky but everything else fits in just fine.

Inuhanyou

It's time I defend my game is DDD really really that much worse from any of the other kh stories? The time travel is the only thing that seems a bit wonky but everything else fits in just fine.

If DDD had never existed, KH would actually be follow-able by normals

Slater

Banned
"I'm Esmeralda, a gipsy"

"I'm already HALF Xehanort"

KH is always silly, but yes DDD has that along with a trash script and a severely regressed Sora and the stupidest most convoluted form of time travel you could ever put in a series

If DDD had never existed, KH would actually be follow-able by normals
All DDD added was the whole I knew everything that would unfold plot for Xehanort, my body needs to be here to time travel, 13 members are part Xehanort

We already knew Ven was in Sora, we knew where aqua was, we knew where Terra was, Sora was going to have to find out one way or another about them,

Didn't add anything any weirder than the rest of the series

Ray Down

Banned
KH2 plot is better but not by a whole lot.

I like it better when i was younger, but now all I see as something Kishimoto would write but slightly better.

Falk

that puzzling face
TFW on PS4 and the big screen and not having to deal with headache of an additionally blurry 3D twin display, you realize the sheet music on the music stands in Fantasia is the piano part for Dearly Beloved.

and Sora became a naive idiot dumber then he was in the first game,

Sora has been consistently dumb though. I thought that was part of the charm of Kingdom Hearts - a country bumpkin getting thrown headfirst into a more and more complex plot even fans lose track of when not thinking about it for a couple of months.

So I've been fighting this internal fight with myself over this game. I've already played 3D back when it originally released so I'm having a hard time justifying the price tag.

Inuhanyou

Sora has been consistently dumb though. I thought that was part of the charm of Kingdom Hearts - a country bumpkin getting thrown headfirst into a more and more complex plot even fans lose track of when not thinking about it for a couple of months.

That's like people complaining about how dumb and bad parody like Dragonball Super has gotten or how dumb Goku has progressively gotten in Super as well.

I'm guilty of doing it, but i see your point. the Source material was never worth taking seriously on that level

Does (0.2 at least) anyone else have some overscan for some reason? I changed the setting in the PS4 OS for images to fit the screen, and even made sure it wasn't zoomed on my TV, but the edges of the screen are cut off, even if I have the TV make the image 4:3.

Wezzulus

Neo Member
TFW on PS4 and the big screen and not having to deal with headache of an additionally blurry 3D twin display, you realize the sheet music on the music stands in Fantasia is the piano part for Dearly Beloved.

KH1 Sora actually wasn't as dumb or shounen like as nowSora. I don't know, he just felt more grounded and seemed to think things trough more. Got affected emotionally more by stuff happening. In CoM he was like that too and then in KH2 his character completely changed. I can't put my finger on it.

Slater

Banned
KH1 Sora actually wasn't as dumb or shounen like as nowSora. I don't know, he just felt more grounded and seemed to think things trough more. Got affected emotionally more by stuff happening. In CoM he was like that too and then in KH2 his character completely changed. I can't put my finger on it.
They just started writing him as a legit dumb person instead of a kid out of his depth. Just look at how Sora interacts with people in 1 compare it to DDD, it's night and day.

HeelPower

I have 0.2 questions regarding plot :

Why does Sora
act like a completely clueless idiot who doesn't know who to use Keyblades in that ship cutscene ?
did he regress/reset in DDD or something ? Is he the new Ash Ketchum ?

Also, the way I get it,the ending leads up to
KH1 Events and Aqua is still stuck in the realm of darkness

How is this of any relevance or importance to the future of the series ? What exactly did we achieve here ?

Slater

Banned

Why does Sora
act like a completely clueless idiot who doesn't know who to use Keyblades in that ship cutscene ?

Also, the way I get it,the ending leads up to
KH1 Events and Aqua is still stuck in the realm of darkness

How is this of any relevance or importance to the future of the series ? What exactly did we achieve here ?
We know why Mickey was shirtless at the end of 1 now. That's the major thing (lol)

Sora has been written as a forgetful dumb boy for a long time now.

Blank Points now makes less sense.

That's about it

Why does Sora

I think it was directly stated that the events of DDD
robbed him of most of his powers
, wasn't it?

Tsunamo

Nomura gonna Nomura and have a level 1 plot excuse everytime
This...still rather that game be the lead into 3.
Same here. I still suspect the full version of whatever 0.2's concept was would have led into 3 instead of DDD originally.
It's the timetravel and 13 Xehanorts that gets to me, but I can get over it now.

If nothing else it'll make the final KH3 battle exciting.

Slater

Banned
I actually thought it was great that in 0.2, Aqua starts at 50, which is about where you were likely to be at the end of the secret episode.
Maybe after 3 they'll finally let Sora keep his levels.

People aren't wrong to call him a shonen hero now, it's like naruto still being a genin when he has literal god powers.

So frustrating, saved the universe twice but lol no master for you

Tsunamo

I actually thought it was great that in 0.2, Aqua starts at 50, which is about where you were likely to be at the end of the secret episode.
Yeah it was fantastic. I didn't notice at first, but the difficulty curb and starting level choice was pretty close to where I leftoff from the secret episode, it tied in perfectly.

HOLY SHIT i just realized

they kept mickeys ears facing forward in the cut scene of him closing the door in 0.2 just like they did in KH1

fuckin hell out of all the things they kept the ears the same

That's actually something they fucked up in KH2, BBS, and DDD (because it'd be tricky to animate it properly in 3D all the time). Disney's general standards for Mickey are that his head silhouette is always supposed to stay the same no matter which direction he's facing.

Tampler

Haven't played Dream Drop since it was originally released on the 3DS, and man, its really great to play a Kingdom Hearts game at 60 FPS. Just feels so good. Hope they can do the same with the PS4 versions of 1.5 & 2.5.

0.2 was pretty great too. More to it than I taught there would be. Looked great as well.

Back cover was the weakest for me, simply because I have very little knowledge of the mobile game (Never really got into it after multiple attempts). Looked gorgeous though.

Only nitpick I have with Back cover (and recent games in the series) is the over-use of black cloaks to hide character appearances. It was cool for the organization to use them in previous games, but they completely stood out and felt out of place in Back Cover, especially when the other masters have such unique designs. I know why they used it (Appearances not finalized and what not) but would have liked if they went a different route.

Good package all round. Looking forward to the PS4 versions of 1.5 & 2.5!

Maybe after 3 they'll finally let Sora keep his levels.

People aren't wrong to call him a shonen hero now, it's like naruto still being a genin when he has literal god powers.

So frustrating, saved the universe twice but lol no master for you

All of the "You need to pass tests for the Mark of Mastery" is dumb.

Sora literally was cutting whole buildings in half, defeating all of the Organization XIII, the heartless, Nobodies, etc etc. SPOILER DDD
But NOPE, he can't be a master.
While aqua just had to fight some boring light orbs lol SUCH STRENGTH

RocknRola

Sora literally was cutting whole buildings in half, defeating all of the Organization XIII, the heartless, Nobodies, etc etc. SPOILER DDD

To be fair, to be fair.... those light balls were fast and sneaky! :p

Ray Down

Banned

It's pretty dumb, especially since I really have no clue what you really get out of being a master.

Psxphile

That's actually something they fucked up in KH2, BBS, and DDD (because it'd be tricky to animate it properly in 3D all the time). Disney's general standards for Mickey are that his head silhouette is always supposed to stay the same no matter which direction he's facing.

Disney provided them w/ new guidelines in regards to how to animate Mickey in a 3D space, since their old ones weren't going to make the cut for his increased roles in video games and CG media. "Fucked up" is a little harsh for what was essentially them following proper protocols.

The art of depicting the corporate mascot is serious business.

Berordn

The implication with Aqua at least being that she was trained "properly" from the start, and those light orb things were just the final exam. Presumably there's other metrics?

I got no excuse for Yen Sid's test though. He wasn't hands on at all, just threw them back in time to screw stuff up.

Ray Down

Banned
Disney provided them w/ new guidelines in regards to how to animate Mickey in a 3D space, since their old ones weren't going to make the cut for his increased roles in video games and CG media. "Fucked up" is a little harsh for what was essentially them following proper protocols.

The art of depicting the corporate mascot is serious business.

Yup, you don't want to fuck with Disney and it's characters.

Especially the mascot himself.

Zaverious

It's pretty dumb, especially since I really have no clue what you really get out of being a master.

Keyblade Masters can extract people's hearts. Although considering Sora and Riku's past feats, Yen Sid could've just made them masters but I guess he didn't want to give it out willy nilly.

Edit: Well I'm not sure about the extracting hearts part. I don't think it is outright said in the games. I think it was in an interview. In DDD it just says you get the associated powers of a master but don't tell you what they are.

I'm hoping it's super-limited flowmotion like we got in KH 0.2. Cute stuff where it works but no breaking the level design.

Yes, that's my only fear about this.

To be fair, to be fair.... those light balls were fast and sneaky! :p

There was also the darkness power affecting the orbs thanks to Master Xehanort. It changed nothing though lol

Yes, apparently
Riku got nothing
lol

The implication with Aqua at least being that she was trained "properly" from the start, and those light orb things were just the final exam. Presumably there's other metrics?

I got no excuse for Yen Sid's test though. He wasn't hands on at all, just threw them back in time to screw stuff up.

And there was all of the SPOILER DDD
Young Xehanort messing up the tests, but Yen Sid doesn't care!!! Everything about KH DDD was a mistake and Sora was the only one suffering the consequences for no reason

Yes, that's my only fear about this.

There was also the darkness power affecting the orbs thanks to Master Xehanort. It changed nothing though lol

Yes, apparently
Riku got nothing
lol

And there was all of the SPOILER DDD
Young Xehanort messing up the tests, but Yen Sid doesn't care!!! Everything about KH DDD was a mistake and Sora was the only one suffering the consequences for no reason
Fyi they went after sofa because Riku had already accepted darkness as another part of him meanwhile sora had a weakness in wanting to know the truth

Ray Down

Banned
I mean Sora and Riku beat the guy who absorbed a fractured Kingdom Hearts and by Word of God (nomura) is the strongest being in the verse and Yensid like lol take this test.

Top Bottom