• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Unchained |OT| - It's not an X - [UP] Worldwide Release

Psxphile

Ok. Because I say this as I was trying to kill the mimic, got rekted, then try again the level, and the chest wasn't there anymore... so I was guessing it was an optional enemy only appearing randomly in levels, and would ultimately not counts toward the sub-objective...
It counts.

I'm confused by how time works in this game.

I thought the Keyblade War took place waaaaaaay in the past, and this game is before that. However, we still see characters like Donald, Goofy, and Alice as if it were only a few days at the most before the events of KH1. What gives?

Present day Sora can visit the gang from 100 Acre Woods which, while somewhat timeless, exists in a book that was written/illustrated many years before. An alternate Twilight Town exists in a dataspace simulation that mimics the real one because it's tied to those people's hearts and memories. Mickey and co. can visit and interact with worlds from Sora's past in the present thanks to Jiminy's journals, including a past versions of Sora and everyone he's encountered on his journey.

Books can be said to be their own worlds (hell, computers too). It's not overly apparent in Unchained but [chi] has a heavy book motif throughout it's interface... you select missions/worlds by turning the pages of a book, for instance. And the plot seems to revolve around a "book of prophecies" that foretells the future. And once the nature of Chirithy is revealed you can kinda put two and two together and realize how present-day folks and worlds can coexist with past events, as well as people who exist outside of that space.

Something like that, anyway.

Ilvocare

I'm not so sure about that. Provided you've set up your 6* Wakkas for long-term grinding you should never run out of AP if you don't want to.

Burnout and/or waning interest probably -will- hit to a significant degree, but it'll be from having too little to do, not having too little stamina to do it.

edit: For clarity, for foreseeable future, at least. Seems the grind to level/refill AP gets mildly tedious past lv200 or so, even if it's still technically unending refills.

Provided the game didn't crash on every quest I start systematically ever since I first downloaded the game, that might have been realistic in some alternate dimension where my 4.3-era Android smartphone wasn't fucking trash.

I'm not mad at you, I'm just mad that I have loading times 5 times as long as the standard player due to constantly having to restart the game from scratch for each quest.

Also the framerate dies whenever I do a special attack within 2 minutes of boot-up, so yeah.

Did I mention I'm on quest 134?

botty

Banned
I really want to live in the reality where Kingdom Hearts has ever told its story well. Every game has had the problem of trying to figure out how to tell two stories at once and the only ones that that came anywhere close to doing it well are KH1 and BBS.

It really isn't about telling a story well, more so the fact that this is lacking in story and its parts are borderline less interesting than Coded's "story." I think in the 200 original "story" quests we got... Only 2 of them actually told something worth a damn. And since we already know the worlds are an illusion/data/etc there is no reason to even be invested in them.

Malyse

It really isn't about telling a story well, more so the fact that this is lacking in story and its parts are borderline less interesting than Coded's "story." I think in the 200 original "story" quests we got... Only 2 of them actually told something worth a damn. And since we already know the worlds are an illusion/data/etc there is no reason to even be invested in them.
You haven't met Emphemera, Skuld and Ava yet, you haven't fought the black figures, you haven't seen "the speech", and everyone is still getting along. Nothing has happened, but your mistake was expecting a console game type story instead of the MMO storytelling this game has. Personally, I like the story of [chi] and Unchained, but I've never said that everyone else would. All I've said and what I maintain is that this story is important. Nomura directly name dropped no less than four other titles that this directly ties to. And yes, it takes a while to get going; I wasn't super invested until Ephemera showed up and that was some 18 months in. Fortunately, Unchained moves much faster.

Still. The amount of complaints this free game gets is amazing.

botty

Banned
You haven't met Emphemera, Skuld and Ava yet, you haven't fought the black figures, you haven't seen "the speech", and everyone is still getting along. Nothing has happened, but your mistake was expecting a console game type story instead of the MMO storytelling this game has. Personally, I like the story of [chi] and Unchained, but I've never said that everyone else would. All I've said and what I maintain is that this story is important. Nomura directly name dropped no less than four other titles that this directly ties to. And yes, it takes a while to get going; I wasn't super invested until Ephemera showed up and that was some 18 months in. Fortunately, Unchained moves much faster.

i was not expecting anything of the such from this game. And I was referring to the stories within the illusion Disney worlds. They all such and have literally been pseudo fetch quests--I have to wonder if this was some kind of compromise between Disney and Square when handling the original stories from set IPs.

Maybe it picks up... I'm 200+ missions in, and as you said... I haven't seen anything yet.

My concern is with the game being over two years old and only having a sprinkle of interesting moments near the end of its life.... Which I guess is par for the course with the non-numbered games

TheMink

3802b07.png

tumblr_ner1pm564g1ttpy2fo5_r1_250.gif

Famassu

It wouldn't have killed the game creators to introduce the important characters earlier. Have Ephemera's introduction in quest 25 and then make the player bump into him every now & then. First an innocent introduction, then maybe doing some quests together, then maybe show him starting to get curious about
why Lux is collected
and build up the drama from there. Overall the story wouldn't have to move all that much faster, but it would at least give players a bit more to chew on and give us more time to know these other characters better & given the game more time to flesh them out.

You're right that KHs often lack in execution, but never this horribly. Days is Oscar-worthy stuff in comparison to this game. Even if Days is slow to start and a few dozen sea salt ice-cream eating cutscenes aren't the most enthralling storytelling ever, there's at least some kind of idea behind a lot of the scenes that develop Roxas, Xion, Axel and/or the relationship between them. If Days moved at the pace of Chi, it would be called 358/2 YEARS. Chi might have some intrigue and the characters aren't wholly unlikable, but from what I've spoiled myself about the story/cutscenes of this game throughout its run as a browser game & a mobile game, I didn't get the impression that the storytelling is going to get all that much better. Each time there was a story update in the past I was like... "That's it? Bleh" The other characters will not get all that much screentime & development, at least not enough for it to be enough to start claiming them "best KH characters EVAH!" You bump into him a couple of times, have a chat for 30 seconds before continuing on and suddenly you're best pals who'd do anything for each other. It just doesn't feel earned and most of it just feels so cock-teasyish. I mean, the fact that Chirithy is
a Dream Eater
is interesting, but how the revelation is handled from a storytelling POV (other than the "shock" of it) is piss poor, which kind of ruins it.

Just because it's free it doesn't mean it's free from criticism. It tries to tell a story. It does a horrible job at it, even by MMO standards. Even if we look at just the Disney stuff. You really think they couldn't have come up with some more interesting stories for the Disney worlds than "Find Alice's handkerchief" or "kill heartless here, and now in this room, and now again in this room and the next room -> yay, the heartless are gone, but actually, we need you to go through these same rooms one by one again, just bcuz"?

I'm fairly certain I did the same in the exact same quest. :D

Malyse

i was not expecting anything of the such from this game. And I was referring to the stories within the illusion Disney worlds. They all such and have literally been pseudo fetch quests--I have to wonder if this was some kind of compromise between Disney and Square when handling the original stories from set IPs.

Maybe it picks up... I'm 200+ missions in, and as you said... I haven't seen anything yet.

My concern is with the game being over two years old and only having a sprinkle of interesting moments near the end of its life.... Which I guess is par for the course with the non-numbered games

We have another two worlds to be added, two existing worlds to complete, and something to somehow tie to Kairi on top of resolving the Foretellers story and the Keyblade War. The story should be between a third to half way done, not at the end of its life.

CRS

Hello, first time posting here. Have been playing for about a week or so now.

I've bought one FF pack, got a decent pull, and thinking about buying another before the deal ends today. Should I get it or buy the Disney one instead? I kinda wouldn't mind getting duplicates since I'm starting to focus on upgrading abilities.

My top collection so far:

CLpcIuy.jpg

Primus

Main reason to do the Disney pull would be for Queen Minnie, but since you got her I'd do another FF pull. There are many more high-end medals in the FF block right now.

Psxphile

We have another two worlds to be added, two existing worlds to complete, and something to somehow tie to Kairi on top of resolving the Foretellers story and the Keyblade War. The story should be between a third to half way done, not at the end of its life.

Safe to assume Enchanted Dominion will be the final Disney world revealed? Feels like Maleficent (the real one) will have a role in this story eventually (actually, she might already be involved).

ryseing

Anyone have an open spot in a decent Unicornis party? I'm about to be kicked from mine for not being "hardcore" enough.

I play a fair bit but not nearly as much as those folks.

Malyse

Safe to assume Enchanted Dominion will be the final Disney world revealed? Feels like Maleficent (the real one) will have a role in this story eventually (actually, she might already be involved).

Hue hue, but Radiant Garden is a Disney world

Nope. Castle of Dreams should be. The next world keyblade we found in the data cache was the Fairy Stars, not the Stroke of Midnight. Last time we found the Divine Rose in the cache and Beast's Castle was the next world. Plus

A_Fragmentary_Passage_01_KHBBSFM.png

Aqua finding the Castle of Dreams in the Realm of Darkness is the most logical tie in point for 0.2 A fragmentary passage. Remember that Nomura said that all three titles in II8 are tied to [chi] and Unchained.

---

I can't wait for the top tier keyblades with reverse slots.

I mean, 19 special attack gauges?

Caim

Nope. Castle of Dreams should be. The next world keyblade we found in the data cache was the Fairy Stars, not the Stroke of Midnight. Last time we found the Divine Rose in the cache and Beast's Castle was the next world. Plus

A_Fragmentary_Passage_01_KHBBSFM.png

Aqua finding the Castle of Dreams in the Realm of Darkness is the most logical tie in point for 0.2 A fragmentary passage. Remember that Nomura said that all three titles in II8 are tied to [chi] and Unchained.

---

I can't wait for the top tier keyblades with reverse slots.

I mean, 19 special attack gauges?

Been meaning to ask this for some time now, what is the difference between Upright and Reverse? I know they look different but thats all I know.

Jeels

Not even half way through the original quests and they are announcing more. ;_; I guess I should wildly tap away more often.

I mean seriously they you do the evolve medal quest when you need two and they give you one then when rush through to get the one they give you two. LOLOL

Psxphile

I see where you're going with this.

Nope. Castle of Dreams should be. The next world keyblade we found in the data cache was the Fairy Stars, not the Stroke of Midnight. Last time we found the Divine Rose in the cache and Beast's Castle was the next world.

Crap, I forgot about that. So if they continue the pattern it'd go Beast's Castle -> Enchanted Dominion -> Castle of Dreams (heh) ->
Radiant Garden
and either end it there or pull a coded and secret final world oh-shit-it's-that-place happens.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
225 quests down, 25 to go. Trying to stay super on top of things while half AP is going. Once that's over, it's going to suck trying to catch up.

Primus

Heading back to Daybreak Town in the new quests, and boy am I missing a blue/red Keyblade. It's all multi-color mob groups from here on out, apparently.

Malyse

I see where you're going with this.

Crap, I forgot about that. So if they continue the pattern it'd go Beast's Castle -> Enchanted Dominion -> Castle of Dreams (heh) ->
Radiant Garden
and either end it there or pull a coded and secret final world oh-shit-it's-that-place happens.

All I know is that before the release of [chi] they said that it was based on the seven princesses and there's one princess unaccounted for atm. It's actually the strongest argument for DT = RG, as that would make Starlight RG's Keyblade.

------

What if I told you that there was a Keyblade upgrade material that is infinitely harder to get than Orichalcum?

FatalT

Banned
All I know is that before the release of [chi] they said that it was based on the seven princesses and there's one princess unaccounted for atm. It's actually the strongest argument for DT = RG, as that would make Starlight RG's Keyblade.

------

What if I told you that there was a Keyblade upgrade material that is infinitely harder to get than Orichalcum?
Mythril Crystals are hard to get unless it's a weekend day. The really rare star-like ones.

RalchAC

What do you guys think about the new Daily Deal. For 3000 gems you get 3 5* units, 3 4* units, 4 3* units and 3 Cid medals.

Is it better or worse than the divided pools we had before? I didn't pull on that event, so I won't pull either if this one is worse. The Cid medals are nice, but I can get more of them buying more premium costumes

What do you guys think about the new Daily Deal. For 3000 gems you get 3 5* units, 3 4* units, 4 3* units and 3 Cid medals.

Is it better or worse than the divided pools we had before? I didn't pull on that event, so I won't pull either if this one is worse. The Cid medals are nice, but I can get more of them buying more premium costumes
Honestly the fact that they combined the medals into one pool IMO means you have a better chance of getting what you missed. You can see the medal list by tapping notices in the Other menu.
Edit: Agree with Kin in that if you still got premium costumes, they are worth the jewels first.

Kinsei

Banned
Just a heads up, you can farm for Fantasia Mickeys on quest 241.

The Cids are nice but I don't think it's worth it if you still have premium boards left to get. I'd still do the daily pull if I needed more medals.

Caim

I'll probably end up doing the new daily deal once just for the Cid medals and hopefully getting another KH Cloud or Riku to add another dot to their special attack. It ends the on the 28th of this month.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'll probably end up doing the new daily deal once just for the Cid medals and hopefully getting another KH Cloud or Riku to add another dot to their special attack. It ends the on the 28th of this month.

I'll do one for Cid medals as well. Hopefully Queen Minnie pops in there, too. But I have low expectations haha.

Skulldead

No way i'm going to be able to finish the Event Board... this is so boring and only 70-90 coin each run, or there a trick to increase the gain ?

Malyse

Mythril Crystals are hard to get unless it's a weekend day. The really rare star-like ones.

I'm talking about an item that you can only get in one spot, involves surviving a gauntlet, and has a low drop rate. You can beat stages with mythril. You can amass a reserve of mythril.

INFINITELY.
HARDER.

Faiz

Just discovered I read the ability upgrades requirements wrong. Somehow got it into my head that you can combine a 6 star 2 dot with a 6 star 2 dot and get 5 dots, because with 3-5star medals it adds a dot each time. But it's not, you need 3 dots and 2 dots. Oops!

Boogiepop

Just discovered I read the ability upgrades requirements wrong. Somehow got it into my head that you can combine a 6 star 2 dot with a 6 star 2 dot and get 5 dots, because with 3-5star medals it adds a dot each time. But it's not, you need 3 dots and 2 dots. Oops!
No, that would work. You just need that extra dot because you want it to unlock guilt, unless I'm somehow missing something.

Wait what I could of sworn that's how you cause the medal itself should add a dot. Are you sure that's right? I seriously think you made a mistake somewhere. I mean if that was the case then adding a medal without a dot wouldn't give you one at all.

Faiz

No, that would work. You just need that extra dot because you want it to unlock guilt, unless I'm somehow missing something.

OOOOOH, ok, this came up from looking at the KHInsider chart which caps off at 6 star/5 dot + Guilt bonus.

So 6 star 2 dot + 6 star 2 dot = 6 star 5 dot with no guilt bonus then?

eefara

Man, I don't know if it's story-related or what, but there are tons of heartless running around. Especially as I get farther through story missions, they keep appearing in larger and larger groups...

Top Bottom