• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Too bad you have to wade through 10 stupid cat pictures, scumbag steve pics, rage "comics" etc, before you find one useful post.

You know you can choose what shows up on your front page right? If you don't want rage comics, unsubscribe to that subreddit.

I do agree with you there's a lot of chaff, but at the same time you don't *have* to subject yourself to it.

Khezu

Went looking for the stream, found there review, gave it a 9 and a editors choice.

Well not the review itself, just the score.

Edit: oh the number disappeared. Oh well, surprise ruined.

RaPt[+]R

Neo Member
Should I purchase this game for PC or 360? Any advice is much appreciated.

Btw, I have a very powerful PC, so running the game at high settings is not an issue. Thanks!

RaPt[+]R;34810450 said:

Btw, I have a very powerful PC, so running the game at high settings is not an issue. Thanks!
Coming from a guy who only plays games on consoles and doesn't even own a gaming PC... definitely the PC version.

I downloaded the demo on my laptop just to see if it would run it okay and even with most of the settings somewhere in the middle the game looked and ran much smoother than the PS3 demo I played. I'll probably still buy the game on PS3 but I definitely think the PC version is superior (surprise).

Part of it is still personal preference, of course. I think the game will be perfectly playable and enjoyable on any system but if you want the version that looks and runs the best then PC is the only answer.

Went looking for the stream, found there review, gave it a 9 and a editors choice.

Well not the review itself, just the score.

Edit: oh the number disappeared. Oh well, surprise ruined.

That's alright, only 50% of people who even care actually read IGN's reviews. Whether it gets a 7 or a 9 is pretty much all that matters.

Nista

Think there arent enough people on the interweb to make your assumption a reality...

My bad, i thought KoA was self published on the pc, and EA was only involved on the console distribution.

They only have a separate Steam deal. EA is the publisher and thus responsible for marketing. And even if we all have a generally low opinion of IGN's reviews, it's good marketing to get a review out and on the web with exposure to the gaming market a couple days before launch.

I'll be more interested to see the more in-depth reviews in the following weeks, not because I need convincing, but more as validation for the team's hard work and dedication.

(It's amusing to me that GAF loads so much faster than every other website on airplane WIFI)

Still, it goes to show a developers integrity if they are so eager to get in bed with IGN. They should have confidence in their product not pimp it out with exclusives...

Some of us choose to live in the real world. New IP. New gaming company. Do whatever the hell you can to get your game exposure. To use that as a slight against the developers is just silly.

Kem0sabe

They only have a separate Steam deal. EA is the publisher and thus responsible for marketing. And even if we all have a generally low opinion of IGN's reviews, it's good marketing to get a review out and on the web with exposure to the gaming market a couple days before launch.

I'll be more interested to see the more in-depth reviews in the following weeks, not because I need convincing, but more as validation for the team's hard work and dedication.

(It's amusing to me that GAF loads so much faster than every other website on airplane WIFI)

I dont think the game is inferior to any other action rpg out there, content wise, design wise i may disagree with some of their decisions... but hey... no one is perfect.

That being said, still taking a wait and see approach about the camera issues. If they manage to patch it, then great, if it doesn't happen... oh well, there's always mass effect 3 around the corner.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RaPt[+]R;34810450 said:

PC version for sure. It looks great on a nice rig.

S1kkZ

so, finally downloaded and played the ps3 demo. it looks much better than the 360 demo (higher resolution, much cleaner and sharper), didnt expect that. the uncapped framerate is a mixed bag: some fights runs at 60 fps and it looks pretty awesome but in some areas the framerate constantly switches between 30 and 60.

Kem0sabe

Some of us choose to live in the real world. New IP. New gaming company. Do whatever the hell you can to get your game exposure. To use that as a slight against the developers is just silly.

Tell that to the PixelJunk guys, im sure they are interested to hear you out, if they have interwebs on fantasy land that is.

Tell that to the PixelJunk guys, im sure they are interested to hear you out, if they have interwebs on fantasy land that is.

Because Pixeljunk has released how many huge retail games? Seriously, not sure why I respond to your posts. You appear to be here to do nothing but take shots at the game and its developers. Enjoy your stay.

Right, because the budget and scope of the PixelJunk games is comparable to that of a full-priced, retail western RPG who's direct competition is games like Skyrim.

Nista

I dont think the game is inferior to any other action rpg out there, content wise, design wise i may disagree with some of their decisions... but hey... no one is perfect.

That being said, still taking a wait and see approach about the camera issues. If they manage to patch it, then great, if it doesn't happen... oh well, there's always mass effect 3 around the corner.

There's several things I dislike about the game - camera wonkiness, UI look and usability, odd dialog cutscene cameras and staging, limited world interactivity.

But oddly those aren't enough to be a dealbreaker for me, unlike several people here. Maybe I'm just getting more tolerant as I get older, or I've just played so many games that have flaws that I can overlook... Or maybe it's just sympathy for how every commercial game ends up being a series of the best compromises one can make each time.

So no sadfaces in this thread today! :)

Loxley

Not to mention they're releasing at a relatively obscure time of the year. New developers trying to sell new IP's in a genre already full of juggernauts need to pull all the stops to get people to notice them.

It really helps that Schilling himself has been everywhere preaching the gospel of Reckoning :)

Dresden

It really helps that Schilling himself has been everywhere preaching the gospel of Reckoning :)

you mean he's SHILLING it, get it, do ho ho ho.

I'm really tempted to get this on release day, but I'm down to just a ps3 right now, so I'm going to wait for a DF comparison or something at least. Also want some feedback on later areas of the game along with the general level of challenge.

That said the more I hear about the game, the more I want it.

Not to mention they're releasing at a relatively obscure time of the year. New developers trying to sell new IP's in a genre already full of juggernauts need to pull all the stops to get people to notice them.

Agreed. God bless his enthusiasm and dedication to his employees. Not to mention his love of gaming.

just to set this fact straight: the resolution is the same on 360 and ps3

This is awesome. Thanks so much. Is it safe to assume both versions are nearly identical in terms of how they play/look/feel? I've got both an Xbox 360 and a PS3 and am having a hard time deciding which version to get.

Cheech

Was it the same in the demo? My 360 version sure looked like it wasn't when I compared it directly to the PS3 demo.

Same. The PS3 version appeared *much* sharper. It also had some extra effects the 360 version didn't have (e.g. the clarity of the reflections on the marble floor in the very beginning).

S1kkZ

Same. The PS3 version appeared *much* sharper. It also had some extra effects the 360 version didn't have (e.g. the clarity of the reflections on the marble floor in the very beginning).

the 360 demo is 600 mb smaller, maybe it has something to do with it?

Nista

This is awesome. Thanks so much. Is it safe to assume both versions are nearly identical in terms of how they play/look/feel? I've got both an Xbox 360 and a PS3 and am having a hard time deciding which version to get.

Pick whichever controller you are most comfortable with playing action games, buy that version.

That'll make your monster pounding funfest more exciting in the long run than being picky about slight differences in image quality.

bazooie

Was it the same in the demo? My 360 version sure looked like it wasn't when I compared it directly to the PS3 demo.

Not completely sure about the demo - but it doesn't make sense why it would be any different. I just did a side by side comparison with the final game at 1080 (game's native on consoles is 720). The aliasing is a little different due to just how the PS3 and Xbox scalars work differently, so it seems the PS3 ends up with more noticeable jaggies and the 360 is a bit softer on the edges.

S1kkZ

Not completely sure about the demo - but it doesn't make sense why it would be any different. I just did a side by side comparison with the final game at 1080 (game's native on consoles is 720). The aliasing is a little different due to just how the PS3 and Xbox scalars work differently, so it seems the PS3 ends up with more noticeable jaggies and the 360 is a bit softer on the edges.

i played both demos in 1080p and the difference is pretty obvious. the ps3 demo is much sharper.

chifanpoe

On IGN stream now, what are they playing on PS3? I missed it if they said. Looks great!

NM it is PS3 see the buttons on screen now.

Macmanus

Whoa whoa, I wouldn't go that far. Hell, I wouldn't say anything close to that.

I would, and without hesitation. If you could provide an alternative that would be great, but with the democratic voting structure and the /r/ system, and the RES it pretty much translates to the best forum system we've yet to see on the internet. Note that I'm referring specifically to the structure of the site and nothing about it's community.

chifanpoe

Framerate appears to be holding up really well. Loving the stream, but hate spoiling these later sections.

Yes, the frame rate looks solid!

I will stick with my PS3 pre-order.

Heh, they just said "you can play it like a button masher but you will get your ass kicked later on if you play like that."

Kem0sabe

Because Pixeljunk has released how many huge retail games? Seriously, not sure why I respond to your posts. You appear to be here to do nothing but take shots at the game and its developers. Enjoy your stay.

Maybe i should have linked something about pixeiljunk and ign to make my point, but i made the mistake of assuming you and everyone else who frequents the forum were up to par on that entire mess.

Anyways, im a big apologist of "the ends don´t justify the means", and as the Witcher 1 and 2 have proven with million + sales on each of their games, launching a game with the communities interests in the fore front as they did with the DRM-less release of the
GOG version of Witcher 2 + free DLC, is a viable option to, apparently, EA´s idea of marketing KoA.

I'm seeing the camera issues people were having a problem with. It is strange how the character can almost walk out of the shot. The camera is also very close and pointing down a bit. I'm glad they're aware of the complaints and seem to be actively working on it.

Yes, the frame rate looks solid!

I will stick with my PS3 pre-order.

Heh, they just said "you can play it like a button masher but you will get your ass kicked later on if you play like that."

Just saw 10 sprites attack at the same time. Framerate solid. Sold.

Xater

So the PS3 version is the one to get? I thought it looked kind of soft on the 360 but I did not spend a lot of time with the PS3 version to really compare it.

Daante

Hmm , game looks kinda good on the PS3 version that are streaming from.

I was not impressed by the demo graphic vise, seems they polished things?
Also anyone know if the PS3 version is 30 FPS locked?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I would, and without hesitation. If you could provide an alternative that would be great, but with the democratic voting structure and the /r/ system, and the RES it pretty much translates to the best forum system we've yet to see on the internet. Note that I'm referring specifically to the structure of the site and nothing about it's community.

I find it incredibly difficult to read, and I hate the community. That pretty much kills it for me.

He did say "best forum", not "best forum structure". I also hate the structure, so there's that too. :p

Hmm , game looks kinda good on the PS3 version that are streaming from.

I was not impressed by the demo graphic vise, seems they polished things?
Also anyone know if the PS3 version is 30 FPS locked?

You can't lock a framerate, but they did say that they capped the PS3 framerate in the final, which it wasn't in the demo.

Top Bottom