• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

abundant

For certain armor you have to have the right amount of points invested in a skill tree. So a pure mage just cant throw on some bad ass heavy plate armor. But if you are going for the jack of all trade destinies, I think the Universalists Destiny lowers those requirements.

It's not just the Universalists Destiny that lowers those requirements, it's every Jack of all Trade destinies. It cuts the equip requirement by half. Weapon requirements are level based, while armor is ability based.

Well, Bethesda managed to put Skyrim on a single disc.

While I do understand where you are getting at it is not exactly the same. I'm quite positive that doing a speed-run in Skyrim does not nearly result in the same amount of hours when pitted against Amalur. But still it is all subjective. Taking a developer his or her words for 100% truth or 100% false is entirely up to the gamer itself.

That is seriously one of the worst articles I have ever read.

Reckoning is more than just "Oblivion plus God of War" or "Fable plus World of Warcraft plus God of War." Detailing the litany of games (both the ones just mentioned, and others) it pulls from would grow tiring and take up a significant chunk of this article, so I will crib from a statement I heard from another developer discussing a project in a similar situation: Darksiders 2 developer David Adams noting that the focus of his project is to create, "that sense of, 'I'm in a world that I can explore around. What's over there? I can go there.'"

That alone. Fuck....

Does anyone know if IGN usually uploads their streams or if it'll be a one time, watch-it-while-you-can affair?

My laptop is on loan til later this evening so I've got no way to watch :(

Torraz

Have steam pre-loads begun or any news when they will? Hoping for a pre-load (here in europe) so I can try to unlock on tuesday with a VPN like with deus ex...

This has to be one of the best demos/games I played this gen. Yes the demo is glitchy as hell but looking beyond all that this game is awesome.

I'm currently debating whether to get this, the skeptic in me is hard to convince. So many games never seem to turn out quite as good as I expect they should.

I had zero expectations when I launched the demo because I knew nothing about the game in advance and since it's an EA game I automatically lower my expectations.

Need to read some discussions on builds, mage seems weak in the demo at first (like any RPG). Playing as a fighter seems overpowered, having tried rogue much but the stealth implementation is awesome.

This has to be one of the best demos/games I played this gen. Yes the demo is glitchy as hell but looking beyond all that this game is awesome.

I'm currently debating whether to get this, the skeptic in me is hard to convince. So many games never seem to turn out quite as good as I expect they should.

I had zero expectations when I launched the demo because I knew nothing about the game in advance and since it's an EA game I automatically lower my expectations.

Need to read some discussions on builds, mage seems weak in the demo at first (like any RPG). Playing as a fighter seems overpowered, having tried rogue much but the stealth implementation is awesome.

It's not an EA game. They are a publishing menace but I can assure you that those guys have absolutely nothing to say when it comes down to development of Amalur.
38 studio's are filled with people who are gamers at heart and actually listen to feedback. Something a lot of other devs can learn from.

It's not just the Universalists Destiny that lowers those requirements, it's every Jack of all Trade destinies. It cuts the equip requirement by half. Weapon requirements are level based, while armor is ability based.

Thanks for clearing that up. Almost makes me want to go the Jack of all Trades route.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Curt do I send you directly the bill for the hours of productivity I will lose next week, or should I forward it along to your offices at 38??

alba

Little is the new Big
Have steam pre-loads begun or any news when they will? Hoping for a pre-load (here in europe) so I can try to unlock on tuesday with a VPN like with deus ex...

That's what I'm going to do... I'm thinking they will do a pre-load today. I can't wait and I want to pre-load it now. Grrr :D

Torraz

That's what I'm going to do... I'm thinking they will do a pre-load today. I can't wait and I want to pre-load it now. Grrr :D

Welcome to the club then :D. Please report when the pre-load has started so I can also purchase the game on steam.

For certain armor you have to have the right amount of points invested in a skill tree. So a pure mage just cant throw on some bad ass heavy plate armor. But if you are going for the jack of all trade destinies, I think the Universalists Destiny lowers those requirements.

Thanks, guys. That sounds pretty good to me.

Someone help me! I don't know how to read that site. How do I see Ken's comments? Reddit is so confusing.

Ken's comments are denoted by a blue highlight on his username. You can also click his name directly and see all his comments, then click "context" to see what he responded to.

And once you get used to it, reddit is pretty much the best forum ever.

Atruvius

Ken's comments are denoted by a blue highlight on his username. You can also click his name directly and see all his comments, then click "context" to see what he responded to.

And once you get used to it, reddit is pretty much the best forum ever.

Aah. Thank you!

Taking off some of next week for this game. Even switch my Amazon order to a GS order since last time I had off for a game I was excited about, release date delivery didnt get to me until almost 7:30 pm. The Gamestop by my house is doing a midnight launch. I'd like to say I wont go, just pick it up early the next day, but then Id be lying to GAF and myself.

Tuesday can't come soon enough. Ive fooled around with that abilities calculator so much its silly.

Kem0sabe

IAmA RPG Game Design Visionary, Ken Rolston, for the new KINGDOMS OF AMALUR: RECKONING, and for Elder Scrolls III & IV and countless tabletop RPGs. AMAA

Hi there mister visionary...

Either someone let the PR people start the thread or captain awesome there is trying too hard...

It's not an EA game. They are a publishing menace but I can assure you that those guys have absolutely nothing to say when it comes down to development of Amalur.
38 studio's are filled with people who are gamers at heart and actually listen to feedback. Something a lot of other devs can learn from.

Yeah I saw that after I played the game. Glad to hear it, I really it does well, we need more games (and studios making such games). Hopefully the game delivers on the solid demo and is (generally) bug free.

Come to the dark side and go pure rogue with me, lol.

I will try it some more but you run out of arrows fairly easily and aiming is annoying with the controller. Maybe it's better with spec'ing bows and some more playtime.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Does anyone know if IGN usually uploads their streams or if it'll be a one time, watch-it-while-you-can affair?

My laptop is on loan til later this evening so I've got no way to watch :(

IGN's streams are archived and uploaded for people to watch later, yes.

Whoa whoa, I wouldn't go that far. Hell, I wouldn't say anything close to that.

I'd be willing to entertain other ideas, but the combination of the threaded structure with the algorithm for the voting system is fantastic. Obviously I haven't seen all the forums out there, but reddit is by far the best that I've seen.

Nista

Is IGN the only live stream? If not, where/when are the others?

Sounds like the other game playthrough streaming is on launch from Teamliquid etc.
Tuesday February 7th, 2012 from 2pm PST to 10pm PST

I wonder if I can destroy the airplane WIFI by trying to watch IGN in a few hours. :)

Review exclusives are never a good thing in the potential buyers view. Too many bad examples of shoddy "exclusive" reviews that go hand in hand with ads.

It's a necessary evil. You can just as easily ignore the score like most everyone else ignores IGN's scores.

Yeah I saw that after I played the game. Glad to hear it, I really it does well, we need more games (and studios making such games). Hopefully the game delivers on the solid demo and is (generally) bug free.

I will try it some more but you run out of arrows fairly easily and aiming is annoying with the controller. Maybe it's better with spec'ing bows and some more playtime.

The more you level up your bow skills, the more arrows you get I think. And you get some really nice abilities for the bow also.

Aesthet1c

Does anyone know if there is going to be any hybrid style gear? Like I know cloth gear requires points in the sorcery tree, and leather requires points in finesse, but is there any hybrid gear that requires points in both?

To be frank, most folks who will ignore IGN's review as essentially an advertisement are in this thread and already hyped for the game. The entire purpose of IGN's review is going to be to get the interest of the huge number of folks who actually let the "8+" scale determine the looseness of their wallets.

IGN reviews may be a joke to us, but they are the difference between feast or famine for a lot of publishers.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Review exclusives are never a good thing in the potential buyers view. Too many bad examples of shoddy "exclusive" reviews that go hand in hand with ads.

It never has anything to do with ads. It has much more to do with how much the editor is digging the game.

If the editor is really loving it he might push to get the exclusive review, because exclusives make it easier to convince higher-ups to shine a really bright spotlight on that article, thus getting more attention for the game that editor wants to champion.

Let's say you loooove game A. You want everyone to know about it. If your review runs wide with everyone else's, for your editor that review is a lot less interesting story. It might be a top story for 8 hours. But if it's an exclusive, it could be a top story for two days.

Kem0sabe

To be frank, most folks who will ignore IGN's review as essentially an advertisement are in this thread and already hyped for the game. The entire purpose of IGN's review is going to be to get the interest of the huge number of folks who actually let the "8+" scale determine the looseness of their wallets.

IGN reviews may be a joke to us, but they are the difference between feast or famine for a lot of publishers.

Still, it goes to show a developers integrity if they are so eager to get in bed with IGN. They should have confidence in their product not pimp it out with exclusives...

Not saying that's in fact whats happening with these guys, their word of mouth campaign and eagerness to engage the community are an example to every other dev out there and i applaud them for it. But this kinda shit with IGN is just bad form.

Still, it goes to show a developers integrity if they are so eager to get in bed with IGN.

Yeah, how dare they want to secure expansive coverage from one of the biggest gaming sites on the net?

For every person that dismisses an IGN exclusive as little more than a paid advertisement, there are a dozen more users who actually, as scary as this sounds, pay attention to IGN's opinions.

Still, it goes to show a developers integrity if they are so eager to get in bed with IGN. They should have confidence in their product not pimp it out with exclusives...

Not saying that's in fact whats happening with these guys, their word of mouth campaign and eagerness to engage the community are an example to every other dev out there and i applaud them for it. But this kinda shit with IGN is just bad form.

Any kind of exclusive review deal with a publication would be handled by their publisher. Marketing doesn't care about the confidence or integrity of the developer. They want to make sure people know about the game and buy it.

Kem0sabe

Yeah, how dare they want to secure expansive coverage from one of the biggest gaming sites on the net?

For every person that dismisses an IGN exclusive as little more than a paid advertisement, there are a dozen more users who actually, as scary as this sounds, pay attention to IGN's opinions.

Think there arent enough people on the interweb to make your assumption a reality...

Any kind of exclusive review deal with a publication would be handled by their publisher. Marketing doesn't care about the confidence or integrity of the developer. They want to make sure people know about the game and buy it.

My bad, i thought KoA was self published on the pc, and EA was only involved on the console distribution.

jkoch

I'd be willing to entertain other ideas, but the combination of the threaded structure with the algorithm for the voting system is fantastic. Obviously I haven't seen all the forums out there, but reddit is by far the best that I've seen.

Too bad you have to wade through 10 stupid cat pictures, scumbag steve pics, rage "comics" etc, before you find one useful post.

Top Bottom