• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Elaborate?? All this is blocked at work.

The enemy AI in the final area appears to be very smart, and the mix of enemies in groups appears to be rough. The fights look really challenging and fun. He's using a playstyle that I never would, though, so it might be easier or harder my way.

abundant

One thing I noticed from the stream was that even if you max an ability, if you get a Twist of Fate card or equipment that raises the abilities +1 , it stacks. So you can have some abilities 7/6 for instance.

Wallach

One thing I noticed from the stream was that even if you max a skill, if you get a Twist of Fate card or equipment that raises the abilities +1 , it stacks. So you can have some abilities 7/6 for instance.

Nice, was curious about that. How do the Twist of Fate cards work, exactly? Do they just stack up or can you only have a certain amount active at any time?

daedalius

The variation in area aesthetics is great, deserts, forests, crazy crystal pillars, etc.

Combat is awesome too, gotta play it on hard.

abundant

Nice, was curious about that. How do the Twist of Fate cards work, exactly? Do they just stack up or can you only have a certain amount active at any time?

The Twist of Fate cards are permanent. So yes, they stack up. You unlock them by completing the 6 faction questlines and there's probably some main quests that unlock them too.

RS4-

Ok, just finished installing KoA on 360 and yeah, first thing I notice is that they let you access the manual from the main menu. Nice touch.

I didn't bother trying the demos on console and I did get it for PC but had issues with BSOD, so I ended up uninstalling.

Will post impressions later.

edit - how hard is hard? Any comparison to difficulty with other games?

abundant

Huh. Seems a bit naff then that Gamestop secured one as a fucking pre-order bonus.

It's not to bad. The bonuses are stuff like +10 health or 10% Crit Chance. I doubt it will have a +ability bonus, because it would be useless, seeing how +ability only adds to the abilities you have put a point in.

Einbroch

Banned
Straight up, telling you there is a ton of depth in the combat system. Friend's only level 9, and for the greatsword you can:

X X X X = 4 hits
X (hold X) X X X X = 5 hits
X (hold X longer) X X X X X X = 7 hits

But the biggest combo is:

X X X (hold X longer) X X X X X X = 9 hit stun lock.

If you don't have time for the longer hold, it goes to 7 hits. The last hit in a combo does insane damage but leaves you unable to block/dodge for a second or so. On hard, this can mean death. Throw in a secondary weapon and I'm sure you can pull off some amazing combos. And that's a greatsword. You know, the slow-moving, not-many-hits weapon.

HNNNG. NEED THIS GAME NOW.

chifanpoe

Ok, just finished installing KoA on 360 and yeah, first thing I notice is that they let you access the manual from the main menu. Nice touch.

I didn't bother trying the demos on console and I did get it for PC but had issues with BSOD, so I ended up uninstalling.

Wow: how big is the install? How did you get it already? Is someone selling it early?

Amir0x

Banned
fuck i should have never played that demo, now this feels like waiting forever for this game. i hadn't thought I'd be playing much of anything until Mass Effect 3.

Did you play the 360 demo? If so, how's the look of the final game in comparison? Many of us thought the 360 demo was low-res.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
fuck i should have never played that demo, now this feels like waiting forever for this game. i hadn't thought I'd be playing much of anything until Mass Effect 3.

MWAHAAHAHAHA!

One of us...one of us...one of us...

dreamfall

I just switched my pre-order to PS3, since my 360 keeps shutting off randomly. Are there console differences I should be worried about? I've got to go replay the demo to get those bonuses, and the stream looked awesome. Very excited (but worried my Xbox is going to die soon...)

daedalius

Gonna go Assassin/mage with Faeblades and Chakrams, yea!

Need to figure out where to preorder from, but I want it at midnight... argh.

RS4-

Did you play the 360 demo? If so, how's the look of the final game in comparison? Many of us thought the 360 demo was low-res.

I didn't play the demo on either console or PC. I should probably look at demo footage and compare it to the retail.

Video compression is bad though. I suppose it comes with the territory being on 360. I don't know if the PC version would do it any better. Reminds me of something you'd see from Bink...videos?

IGN said:
I'll come right out and say it: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning will be in the discussion when Game of the Year 2012 rolls around. It has brought the discussion about what combat can be in the role-playing genre to the forefront and sets the bar exceptionally high for its future contemporaries in the genre. But don't let its competition-shaming gameplay lull you into think that that's all this game has to offer, because that's just gloss on an overall package that's bound to impress the RPG faithful.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning isn't the perfect game. Its random technical hiccups and inconsistent art style certainly holds it back from even higher levels of greatness. But no matter what you're looking for, whether it be amazing gameplay, immersive storytelling or perhaps a riveting new world to explore as you fully customize and re-customize your character at will, Reckoning has it all. And after I jump back into my own game to clean up all of the optional stuff I didn't do, I sense I'll want even more. And yes, so will you.
Sounds good!

Wallach

Sounds like street date is getting broken.

Welp, there's only one thing left to do, Curt. Activate all of the PC copies. It's only fair.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

This game is infectious. I went from it being barely on my radar. To OMG OMG OMG WHEN IS IT COMING OUT HURRY UP. In about 1 day.

I'm going to GS to pay off my copy today.

Contemplating on picking up the guide. I picked up the guide for Skyrim, and Amalur seems just as daunting, yet still I'm torn. :/

Top Bottom