• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Torraz

Sounds like street date is getting broken.

Welp, there's only one thing left to do, Curt. Activate all of the PC copies. It's only fair.

Brilliant idea!

I'm going to GS to pay off my copy today.

Contemplating on picking up the guide. I picked up the guide for Skyrim, and Amalur seems just as daunting, yet still I'm torn. :/

The guide is done by the same people who did the dark souls guide which was magnificent. I'm also very tempted to pick it up.

Amir0x

Banned
This game is infectious. I went from it being barely on my radar. To OMG OMG OMG WHEN IS IT COMING OUT HURRY UP. In about 1 day.

I don't know what it is precisely that sets it off for me. One thing that has really impressed me so far is the soundtrack. It is really good immersive stuff.

But I don't know, once I got into the world something clicked. It was like a good melding of linear and open, a sort of best of both worlds mix. It clearly had the strengths from both game types. And the combat and magic and class mixing seems very strong even in the demo, once you start experimenting a little.

I don't know about the story and I haven't read any R.A. Salvatore stuff, but it definitely has an engrossing atmosphere and I think it is just hitting the right notes.

One of the problems I had with Skyrim, as opposed to say Morrowind, was that it was such a dead, lifeless world... it lacked the color and variety of other games even within its own series. But Amalur seems like it has tons of variety and unique world types, which makes exploring far more satisfying.

Wallach

The fuck is wrong with Origin right now, I can't even launch it. Guess I won't bother trying to pre-load just yet.

Edit - man it launched but everything is taking like three minutes per action. Stay free Origin.

Mutombo

dang i missed the stream!

IGN gives a 9, nice, but for some sort of reason I have a feeling they're a bit biased.

Then again, I remember Diablo 2 getting 8,5 when it was released by my favorite mag and I fucking keep comparing it to diablo which I shouldn't but keep doing.

I want to grow up. :(

oh and, europe will get this game later, yes?

Torraz

dang i missed the stream!

IGN gives a 9, nice, but for some sort of reason I have a feeling they're a bit biased.

Then again, I remember Diablo 2 getting 8,5 when it was released by my favorite mag and I fucking keep comparing it to diablo which I shouldn't but keep doing.

I want to grow up. :(

oh and, europe will get this game later, yes?

Friday for Europe unless you get a street broken date copy or perform VPN shenanigans on steam.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't know what it is precisely that sets it off for me. One thing that has really impressed me so far is the soundtrack. It is really good immersive stuff.

But I don't know, once I got into the world something clicked. It was like a good melding of linear and open, a sort of best of both worlds mix. It clearly had the strengths from both game types. And the combat and magic and class mixing seems very strong even in the demo, once you start experimenting a little.

I don't know about the story and I haven't read any R.A. Salvatore stuff, but it definitely has an engrossing atmosphere and I think it is just hitting the right notes.

One of the problems I had with Skyrim, as opposed to say Morrowind, was that it was such a dead, lifeless world... it lacked the color and variety of other games even within its own series. But Amalur seems like it has tons of variety and unique world types, which makes exploring far more satisfying.

Detect hidden makes me so happy. Makes me feel like a kid on easter XD I havent had that feeling in forever.

Wallach

So if you respec do you get those initial points back? They seem to spend your first three points automatically, I hope those are reclaimed when you use the fateweaver.

Couple questions:

1. Are hybrid builds locked out of using the top tier armor sets then, since they tend to require x amount of points from one of the branches? Or are there armor sets that are specially suited for hybrids?

2. How do the health/mana stats increase as you level up? Is it a base increase for all characters, or do you get more health per level up if you're dumping points in the warrior tree or something?

Couple questions:

1. Are hybrid builds locked out of using the top tier armor sets then, since they tend to require x amount of points from one of the branches? Or are there armor sets that are specially suited for hybrids?

I would imagine if they want to encourage hybrid builds, they would have gear that requires a moderate amount of points put into 2 different stats.

Reveirg

"And while Kingdoms of Amalur has its own technical shortcomings -- occasional pop-in, framerate dips during heated action and a somewhat unimpressive draw distance -- the game never once froze on me the entire time I played it." -IGN

Really? I'm glad I play mostly Japanese games, at least they don't freeze and rarely have crappy framerate.

This isn't a stab at KOA by the way, I'm just completely amazed that "the game never froze once" can now enter the "pro" category, instead of being in the "well, that's a given" category.

EDIT: Oh and... the IGN review is pretty short and quite uninformative. Are there any well-written ones that can give great insight on what the game is like? I don't care about scores.

"And while Kingdoms of Amalur has its own technical shortcomings -- occasional pop-in, framerate dips during heated action and a somewhat unimpressive draw distance -- the game never once froze on me the entire time I played it." -IGN

Really? I'm glad I play mostly Japanese games, at least they don't freeze and rarely have crappy framerate.

This isn't a stab at KOA by the way, I'm just completely amazed that "the game never froze once" can now enter the "pro" category, instead of being in the "well, that's a given" category.

One of the best Japanese games I've ever played had tons of technical issues.

Amir0x

Banned
Detect hidden makes me so happy. Makes me feel like a kid on easter XD I havent had that feeling in forever.

wait detect hidden finds treasures!?

God I thought Detect Hidden was one of those abilities where you can spot stealthy enemies or something... I really didn't even look into it...

...shit that makes choices even harder.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

God I thought Detect Hidden was one of those abilities where you can spot stealthy enemies or something... I really didn't even look into it...

Detect hidden is like upgrading an ingame maphack :3 Shows hidden treasures, directions where guys are facing, secret door locations, gives you extra gold from the world, and the last upgrade shows all the lorestones. Best freaking skill in the game.

ironcreed

Banned
IGN gets a ton of hate for some of the bad pieces they put out, but that was a solid review. Not because it is what I wanted to hear, either. It actually seemed balanced, rather than gushing, and was in tune with impressions that I already had myself just from playing the demo. Can't wait until Tuesday.

If you still have the demo, go into the abilities and look at each of the milestones for Detect Hidden. Some really nice benefits. I think it starts out (1) see enemy locations (2 points) see hidden treasures (3) see direction enemy is looking on mini-map

And it goes on and on from there. Detect hidden is definitely a must for me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well, shit. There goes my plan. Have to readjust to fit in detect hidden now.

Honestly it feels like the "skills" are the things that will make you super strong not so much the abilities. So universalist will be freaking amazing. You are just a bit more limited in terms of raw crazy power.

Derrick01

Banned

Dark Souls feels like it runs at a constant 20fps for me, with big dips whenever something happens like fighting a boss fight. Even shattering a group of 4 barrels makes the framerate chug until the debris settles and starts disappearing. Not to mention blight town or whatever it's called.

That didn't stop anyone from enjoying that game though.

CTE

Honestly it feels like the "skills" are the things that will make you super strong not so much the abilities. So universalist will be freaking amazing. You are just a bit more limited in terms of raw crazy power.

I still have the weekend to get through before I can play. Makes we want to go d/l the demo again.

Well, shit. There goes my plan. Have to readjust to fit in detect hidden now.

I think only the first five points of detect hidden actually get you things you can't find otherwise (hidden treasures, hidden doors), the rest just point out things that you can see normally but might have a hard time finding, like traps, treasures, and Lorestones.

None of the skills directly affect your combat capabilities. (Exception: Rogue types are going to have a hard time sneaking without good Stealth.) It remains to be seen if skills like Persuasion and Alchemy increase your power in any indirect ways.

To be fair, IIRC he mentioned that point as a comparison to other open world games with a similar scope *cough skyrim cough*

Detect Hidden is awesome. Seeing enemies on the map and the direction they are facing is great for sneaking and stealth killing dudes. Also, the extra amount of gold you get is awesome. I used it on one of my playthroughs a few months ago at work and I always had plenty of gold.

Also, for finesse folks...if you time the second button press on the Dagger Delay special just right you get a guaranteed crit every time on the final jumping double slash attack (I believe window for that is like 2 frames...gotta time it just as the first part of the delay chain hits an enemy with both daggers fully extended).

And for long bow, fully upgraded scattershot is beast mode if you shoot it at point blank range on larger enemies.

Anyways, can't wait for you guys to get your hands on it and hearing all the feedback, both good and bad! Cheers!

Detect Hidden is awesome. Seeing enemies on the map and the direction they are facing is great for sneaking and stealth killing dudes. Also, the extra amount of gold you get is awesome. I used it on one of my playthroughs a few months ago at work and I always had plenty of gold.

Also, for finesse folks...if you time the second button press on the Dagger Delay special just right you get a guaranteed crit every time on the final jumping double slash attack (I believe window for that is like 2 frames...gotta time it just as the first part of the delay chain hits an enemy with both daggers fully extended).

And for long bow, fully upgraded scattershot is beast mode if you shoot itp at point blank range on larger enemies.

Anyways, can't wait for you guys to get your hands on it and hearing all the feedback, both good and bad! Cheers!

Are you with the dev team?

abundant

I think only the first five points of detect hidden actually get you things you can't find otherwise (hidden treasures, hidden doors), the rest just point out things that you can see normally but might have a hard time finding, like traps, treasures, and Lorestones.

You're going to want to level DH to at least level 8 so you can disarm traps and salvage them, if you're also focusing on Blacksmith and Sagecraft. Otherwise, yeah just level it up to 5 if you just want to get the hidden stuff or 7 if you want to see traps.

Any word on how many hours this game might take to get platinum trophy / 100% gamerscore? Even if it's just ballpark, like closer to 50, 100, or 150+?

Kem0sabe

Who is breaking the street date early on this? I see some peeps on this thread already playing the game.

I´m not sure if theres many if any places breaking the street date. From what i could see on some sites, the xbox 360 version is already being pirated, so that might be the source of some of the online comments about the full version of the game.

Amir0x

Banned

And for long bow, fully upgraded scattershot is beast mode if you shoot itp at point blank range on larger enemies.

dang this shit sounds hot.

guess i am using detect hidden, since i was going rogue...er, finesse.. class anyway

Edit: Also props to being open to criticism. Too many devs get sensitive at that sort of thing. We only criticize because we love games and want to see them get even better. :thumbsup:

moop1167

Is there a way to watch the stream if you missed it today? I couldn't watch at work. I saw that someone said it would be available, but how long does it usually take and where do I look?

Also, the review only shows up on their PS3 page. Hopefully some of the technical issues (minus pop-in since we know it will be present) don't appear on the pc version and it's even better.

abundant

Any word on how many hours this game might take to get platinum trophy / 100% gamerscore? Even if it's just ballpark, like closer to 50, 100, or 150+?

100+ easily. The IGN journalist stated that the Main Quest is 20 to 30 hours long and that each of the 5 faction questlines are about 7 to 10 hours long. Play it on Hard first, since there's an achievement for it.

100+ easily. The IGN journalist stated that the Main Quest is 20 to 30 hours long and that each of the 5 faction questlines are about 7 to 10 hours long. Play it on Hard first, since there's an achievement for it.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I just hope that if there is a trophy for beating it on Easy/Normal, that you get all of the lower ones when you beat it on hard. Otherwise I will pretty fucking annoyed, lol.

Wallach

Started pre-loading now that Origin seems to have stopped shitting itself.

How do we redeem the Amazon pre-order code, though? Is that added through Origin or in-game?

Edit - Redeems on Origin it would appear.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
None of the skills directly affect your combat capabilities. (Exception: Rogue types are going to have a hard time sneaking without good Stealth.) It remains to be seen if skills like Persuasion and Alchemy increase your power in any indirect ways.

Oh I figured being able to socket and rip out effects from shit you pick up would VASTLY affect your combat capabilities :p Oh and yes Alchemy does a crap ton of little things as well :3

Klyka

Banned
I wonder, if I buy the game on Origin here in Germany, can I still select English voices and text?
German localization is always pathetic.

Torraz

I wonder, if I buy the game on Origin here in Germany, can I still select English voices and text?
German localization is always pathetic.

I know some German friends bought Russian BF 3 copies and were able to download various language packs including English and German ones, but that probably depends on the specific game and generalizations are dangerous.

Wallach

The heck do I uninstall the demo from Origin now that I have the full game pre-load? There's only one entry in the add/remove programs section which is clearly the full game. Clicking Uninstall from within Origin takes me... to the add/remove programs section. FUK

Klyka

Banned
The heck do I uninstall the demo from Origin now that I have the full game pre-load? There's only one entry in the add/remove programs section which is clearly the full game. Clicking Uninstall from within Origin takes me... to the add/remove programs section. FUK

You can't remove it from the list. I still have the Battlefield 3 Alpha and Beta in there.
I just addd the games I actually want to my favorites and then set the visibility to "favorites only".

Top Bottom