• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Man I wish I knew what skills you can buy to level up a rank. I'm trying to build my character so I can have as many maxed out as possible. >.< I don't want to go past 7 on anything.

ReaperXL7

Man I wish I knew what skills you can buy to level up a rank. I'm trying to build my character so I can have as many maxed out as possible. >.< I don't want to go past 7 on anything.

If your talking about the milestones for the skills they are in the OT, the information on which points in the skill line unlock new skill features.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Heard you on the Cannons today Curt. Heard you on the Herd last week or the week before too. Keep up the good work. Give me a shout out while you're at it :p

Ok maybe not but I am buying your game.

ReaperXL7

Wtf the demo just locked up on me??! Did anyone else have a problem like that?

A couple of times myself, sadly the demo is of an old build that had some unfixed bugs in it, aswell as a few that did not exsist in the game, but were created because of the way the third party created the demo.

Most of the issues in the demo have been confirmed to have been fixed though in the retail release.

If your talking about the milestones for the skills they are in the OT, the information on which points in the skill line unlock new skill features.

I think this was referring to which skills you can pay gold for a point in. The demo has a detect hidden trainer and shows that there are multiple levels of trainers, but there's no indication of how much exactly they can do for you.

Ala Alba

So, my Amazon purchase is downloading now. 57% done.

Edit: Although, now I feel stupid, because I did not know about this whole pre-loading business.

A couple of times myself, sadly the demo is of an old build that had some unfixed bugs in it, aswell as a few that did not exsist in the game, but were created because of the way the third party created the demo.

Most of the issues in the demo have been confirmed to have been fixed though in the retail release.

Ok good to know I am still getting it day 1!

I had no idea Curt Shilling was involved, he was my favorite pitcher when he was a diamond back.

I remember reading that he played EQ and I thought that was bad ass.

ReaperXL7

I think this was referring to which skills you can pay gold for a point in. The demo has a detect hidden trainer and shows that there are multiple levels of trainers, but there's no indication of how much exactly they can do for you.

Ahh, i'm pretty sure the impression so far is that there is a skill trainer for skill, but I don't know if trainers are split up into Basic, Advanced, and Master like the skills themselves. It would make sense if they were though.

Ok good to know I am still getting it day 1!

I had no idea Curt Shilling was involved, he was my favorite pitcher when he was a diamond back.

I remember reading that he played EQ and I thought that was bad ass.

Yep, and he's becoming quite the frequent Gaf poster, atleast in the threads for Reckoning.

I know the MLB boys want him over their pretty badly though..

goldenpp72

im playing the demo and does it ever end? lol, I keep getting to places that say no you can't go here but it never seems to end.

They should go to Gorhart and enter it, see when the crowd fades in/out.

Edit: just saw in the stream, it's the exact same LOD/Pop up as before.

SIGH

Yeah, we expected that. I just can't tell by the stream if the visual quality is up to the PS3 version or not. To me the PS3 demo looked significantly better than the 360 version.

Yep, and he's becoming quite the frequent Gaf poster, atleast in the threads for Reckoning.

I know the MLB boys want him over their pretty badly though..

My dad would shit a brick if he ever found out that 1) Curt posts on a videogame message board that I frequent and 2) His company has made what looks to be an unbelievable fantasy RPG.
Granted, he's 72 so he doesn't get my love for videogames at all over things like baseball. I can't wait for the double take when he asks me if I got a new game and I tell him, yeah, Curt Shilling's company made it. Maybe he won't give me strange looks anymore when, as an adult, I'm playing a game with elves in it.

This is a guy who has a shrine devoted to the Red Sox and for whom we bought a brick from Fenway last Christmas. The closest he's ever gotten to eight sided dice in his lifetime was an old 70s pen and paper board game based on baseball.

I think IGN's review will be the catalyst for many IGN readers who took a wait and see approach after the trying the demo. If Gamespot's review is just as good, I think the floodgates will open.

YoungHav

Banned
what is the gameplay like? sorry I don't read reviews b/c I like going into games blind. Guessing it looks like FFXII/Dragon Age or Demon's Souls, please lemme know though!

ParityBit

I think IGN's review will be the catalyst for many IGN readers who took a wait and see approach after the trying the demo. If Gamespot's review is just as good, I think the floodgates will open.

Any idea when more reviews come out? I was going to pick up Dark Souls this weekend for my 360, but screw it. I plan on getting lost in Amalur.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

No no, there are trainers in game that let you spend gold to add one rank to the skill they teach.

what is the gameplay like? sorry I don't read reviews b/c I like going into games blind. Guessing it looks like FFXII/Dragon Age or Demon's Souls, please lemme know though!
Darksiders/God of war?

Hmm I tried the demo, but it didn't really work for me.

It doesn't feel as smooth as I expect from an RPG. I'm too used to WoW and TOR. The autotargeting is annoying and the camera turn feels off.

ReaperXL7

Any idea when more reviews come out? I was going to pick up Dark Souls this weekend for my 360, but screw it. I plan on getting lost in Amalur.

If I had to guess i'd say probably monday at the latest.

Hmm I tried the demo, but it didn't really work for me. It doesn't feel as smooth as I expect from an RPG. I'm too used to WoW and TOR. The autotargeting is annoying and the camera turn feels off.

Keep in mind that there are issues in the demo that are not in the final game. Some like pop-in/LOD still exsist, and some hate the camera(they are looking into this one).

Question though which version are you playing? Turning down the camera sensitivity on the console version made the camera much less of an issue for me. I've pretty much just gotten used to it though so it does not really bug me much anymore.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
According to IGN, 25 hours for main quest, an additional 5-10 hours for each of the Faction quests (6 in total), and possibly 100+ hours to wrap up all the other minor side quests.

I wonder if he was playing on easy, it didn't look like he had much... uhh combat knowlage XD

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Character action game style battle system (god of war, DMC, etc etc) but the world and questing is very similar to Skyrim or WoW.

Well, the fact that you can filter which aspect of the community you're exposed to is a big factor in making it the "best forum". There are plenty of great communities, big and small, that have positive discussion without degradation into meme-dom.

And you haven't provided a counterexample, because I'm curious to see what forum (structure and/or community) you think is better.

I terms of structure, I think GAF or SA are more my style, structurally. I find both infinitely more readable than Reddit.

Hawk269

Agreed, and appreciated.
FWIW I just realized today, and it just totally flew by me, that I was handing out copies of OUR GAME........
Ya, let that sink in. Wasn't paying, attention, then I realized HOLY CRAP, there are actual GAMES in these game covers....
How am I not logged in and playing already????
Going PC version, Xbox controller, full on finesse for my 1st play through...

Well Curt, I know that this wont mean much to you and the team because I am just one person out of millions, but I decided to purchase the game afterall. I was really disapointed to hear about the LOD/Pop In issues of the PC version and how the Devs said that it cant be fixed at this time..even cancellled my pre-order because of this.

But as a long time gamer (I am only a few years younger than you), I reward companies that produce great games, even with some issues. Moreso, the enthusiasm and the dedication you and some of the others from your team posting here and on your forums have shown is something very rare in this industry and it should be rewarded. While my puny $60.00 is just a drop in a massive bucket to you guys, it is still my small way of supporting a dev team that seems to do things like I would if I had the oppurtunity to do so.

Like you, I plan to go PC, 360 controller for my game and am looking forward to Tuesday like many others here.

ReaperXL7

Well Curt, I know that this wont mean much to you and the team because I am just one person out of millions, but I decided to purchase the game afterall. I was really disapointed to hear about the LOD/Pop In issues of the PC version and how the Devs said that it cant be fixed at this time..even cancellled my pre-order because of this.

But as a long time gamer (I am only a few years younger than you), I reward companies that produce great games, even with some issues. Moreso, the enthusiasm and the dedication you and some of the others from your team posting here and on your forums have shown is something very rare in this industry and it should be rewarded. While my puny $60.00 is just a drop in a massive bucket to you guys, it is still my small way of supporting a dev team that seems to do things like I would if I had the oppurtunity to do so.

Like you, I plan to go PC, 360 controller for my game and am looking forward to Tuesday like many others here.

Just try to look at it as something they can improve on in future titles, because if nothing else they have shown that they are willing to listen to feedback and atleast try to fix what they can.

Aside from the MMO which is PC only as it is, I would not be surprised if you see many improvements in a possible Amalur 2.

I heard an interview with Curt on a Toronto radio station today. He called IGN the siskel and Ebert of Gaming reviews and was really excited to hear there thoughts :(

so depressing. IGN still has so much influence

Jade Empire 9.9

I heard an interview with Curt on a Toronto radio station today. He called IGN the siskel and Ebert of Gaming reviews and was really excited to hear there thoughts :(

so depressing. IGN still has so much influence

Jade Empire 9.9

Understandable why he's excited to be featured on IGN though. What they did today is definitely going to sell copies of the game. It looked absolutely beautiful in their live stream.

CTE

Are the collector's editions only available online, specifically the special edition? If so :(.

Well, there is only one special edition really. The Signature one has been sold out for a while now. I'm also pretty sure the Collector's(200) one is gone too. Only 700 made of those as far as I've read.

Rokam

Also.. cake
AkxOP-jCIAExwpR.jpg

ReaperXL7

I heard an interview with Curt on a Toronto radio station today. He called IGN the siskel and Ebert of Gaming reviews and was really excited to hear there thoughts :( so depressing. IGN still has so much influence Jade Empire 9.9

lol that compairison could be taken in many ways. However you can't really blame Curt, IGN probably has the largest amount of eyes focused on them when it comes to review time in the U.S. Like them or not, a bad score from them can really hurt a games potential, and a good one can do wonders for it, from a sales perspective anyway.

I just wish reviewers would tone down trying to compare every game thats released to each other, and just let them be their own game. If wishes were fishes...

Also.. cake
AkxOP-jCIAExwpR.jpg

fucking awesome...is that from Ace of Cakes?

Spruchy

Managed to fix the lag issue on the stream for those who bowed out early, next time tell me about the lag issues in stream chat and I'll fix it quicker. Not sure if there's any interest for anymore stream tonight, but tomorrow!

lol that compairison could be taken in many ways. However you can't really blame Curt, IGN probably has the largest amount of eyes focused on them when it comes to review time in the U.S. Like them or not, a bad score from them can really hurt a games potential, and a good one can do wonders for it, from a sales perspective anyway.

I just wish reviewers would tone down trying to compare every game thats released to each other, and just let them be their own game. If wishes were fishes...

yea not blaming Curt just dont like IGN being held in such high regard :)

Top Bottom