• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

demolitio

I'm hoping to find a few more things to sell so I can get this. It sucks when a game comes out early in the year when I have to pay my insurance $2500 by the end of the month basically. It does make me evaluate games more though so I only try to get the ones that last a while and the demo sold me on this. Most fun I've had in a while in that genre. Maybe some place will do a contest for this. I miss UGO doing giveaways everyday. Stupid buyout changed that...lol.

Seeing Big Huge Games in the intro makes me miss Rise of Nations. Such a great game that got me involved in a new genre.

Curt, if the Indians win the world series, can you guys revive Rise of Nations or a game like it? Look at it this way, it's highly unlikely so it's a safe deal that will never happen so just ease my mind...lol

alba

Little is the new Big
I'm guessing due to EA and since the pre-load started on Origin already that there is some kind of timed thing going on?

My internet is super slow so I want to make sure I can get it before the release date T__T Do we have any news on that front? Nothing on the steam forums or their news page *sadface*

gehrig38

Well Curt, I know that this wont mean much to you and the team because I am just one person out of millions, but I decided to purchase the game afterall. I was really disapointed to hear about the LOD/Pop In issues of the PC version and how the Devs said that it cant be fixed at this time..even cancellled my pre-order because of this.

But as a long time gamer (I am only a few years younger than you), I reward companies that produce great games, even with some issues. Moreso, the enthusiasm and the dedication you and some of the others from your team posting here and on your forums have shown is something very rare in this industry and it should be rewarded. While my puny $60.00 is just a drop in a massive bucket to you guys, it is still my small way of supporting a dev team that seems to do things like I would if I had the oppurtunity to do so.

Like you, I plan to go PC, 360 controller for my game and am looking forward to Tuesday like many others here.

Not sure there are more meaningful posts from gamers who bought, then cancelled, and now are buying again.

This happens one player at a time, believe it or not just like voting:)

Very cool of you to even take time to call it out, and appreciated.

Boggart cake? How bad ass is that? We were at the Baltimore studio launch party, well deserved, and I saw this bad boy, just awesome.

The IGN score, is awesome, given the sheer volume of folks that clearly go there and wait on a game review for their purchase decision. It never dawned on me until today just how enormous of an impact these have, not on companies, but on actual individual peoples lives.

9, very cool, and leaves room to push ourselves as we go forward:)

NateDrake

Why no big launch stuff in RI? Being a resident of the state & knowing how much my tax dollars went into the company being here, I wish something was going on for the launch.

gehrig38

We weren't the ones to make the call on which gamestops to appear in. It's not happening everywhere and we wanted to let GS decide what was the best place to have them.

Just to be clear, no RI tax payer dollars were given, invested, or spent on 38 Studios move to the state, and never will be.

Played the demo. Really enjoyed it. Problem is, I'm a Phillies fan. :)

Thought it was a very engaging world with good combat, so, thumbs up here.

Rokam

Still can't decide on what I want to play, enjoyed Greatsword, but I also liked the Bow + Longsword combo with traps.

On the topic of the cake, severe lack of Brownie brownies :(.

Mideon

Nice job in advertising the game in America but here in the UK no one I know that's not super into games like me has even heard of Reckoning. I tell all my friends at work about this game I'm looking forward to and they just say they have never heard of it.

Watching this thing explode in the last month thanks to the tremendous PR push has been fascinating. This literally had no buzz even on this site for months.

You guys have certainly done your job getting this thing out there, take a break this weekend :p

Can't wait for Tuesday.

foladar

Saw on ps3trophies that there's no trophies tied to the day-1 DLC, fwiw. At least, he didn't see any new trophies when adding the online pass.

demolitio

Watching this thing explode in the last month thanks to the tremendous PR push has been fascinating. This literally had no buzz even on this site for months.

You guys have certainly done your job getting this thing out there, take a break this weekend :p

Can't wait for Tuesday.

Yea, it's nuts to see the attention it's getting. I expected it to be good but go under the radar mostly, but it seems to be a popular discussion right now on sites. Refreshing for a change since new IP's seem to be extremely risky and get overshadowed by shooters that are on their 20th games in the series.

So apparently the OST is already leaked, and people are saying looped versions of the tracks are used on the disc, while there are actually proper finishes recorded (as is evident from the X360 disc music rip that's already out). If this is true I hope the OST still sounds proper (probably will because of Kirkhope) but I find it weird that they supposedly used looped tracks instead of tracks with finishers.

ReaperXL7

Still can't decide on what I want to play, enjoyed Greatsword, but I also liked the Bow + Longsword combo with traps.

Yeah i'm having my fair share of difficulty deciding what I want to build aswell. I just tried a full mage build in the demo and was able to put some points into mark of flame which is a great ability.

One of my problems going with sorc though is that I just don't know if I want to go fire, or lightning, they both have their strengths, but I'm alittle OCD on stuff like this and if I pick one element I usually stick with just one.

Still kind of leaning more to Might/finesse but most options seem great in their own way.

As far as baked goods go, I'll take some amalurian "Bear" claws....

Dead

well not really...yet
Yea, it's nuts to see the attention it's getting. I expected it to be good but go under the radar mostly, but it seems to be a popular discussion right now on sites. Refreshing for a change since new IP's seem to be extremely risky and get overshadowed by shooters that are on their 20th games in the series.
The demo has been an insane help. Ive got several friends on board for buying this next week thanks to the demo, despite them never having heard of the game previously

stupid_dad

Neo Member
Nice job in advertising the game in America but here in the UK no one I know that's not super into games like me has even heard of Reckoning. I tell all my friends at work about this game I'm looking forward to and they just say they have never heard of it.

Hi

Are you ex cranky gamer host Mideon?

Still my number 1 podcast,I never miss a show

Hawk269

Not sure there are more meaningful posts from gamers who bought, then cancelled, and now are buying again.

This happens one player at a time, believe it or not just like voting:)

Very cool of you to even take time to call it out, and appreciated.

Boggart cake? How bad ass is that? We were at the Baltimore studio launch party, well deserved, and I saw this bad boy, just awesome.

The IGN score, is awesome, given the sheer volume of folks that clearly go there and wait on a game review for their purchase decision. It never dawned on me until today just how enormous of an impact these have, not on companies, but on actual individual peoples lives.

9, very cool, and leaves room to push ourselves as we go forward:)

Your welcome. Your post about the IGN score is yet another reason that I beleive if you continue what you are doing you guys will be very successful. While others would take that 9 and yell at the top of their lungs on how great they are, you simply put "leaves room to push ourselves as we go forward".

BTW...Since you are playing on PC, check out a post on your forums about getting the most out of the game on the PC. A few of us have posted some tweaks you can make via the driver and or using other programs to get even more image quality out of the game. Very informative post!

Hawk269

So what difficulty is everyone going to start out on? I am still deciding what to do...I want a good challenge, but have not heard from anyone how hard is hard?

Also, since I went with Steam, is there any way to get any of the DLC now or in the near future? Steam is not giving away anything other than Team Fortress stuff which I dont even play.

Rokam

So what difficulty is everyone going to start out on? I am still deciding what to do...I want a good challenge, but have not heard from anyone how hard is hard?

Also, since I went with Steam, is there any way to get any of the DLC now or in the near future? Steam is not giving away anything other than Team Fortress stuff which I dont even play.

Hard, just to get more hours out of the game, has to last right up to ME3.

verbatimo

In the full game, can I change difficulty-level on the fly? Ex. if I start the game on normal, but after a while find it too easy, can I change it to hard-difficulty without starting new game?

Muskweeto

In the full game, can I change difficulty-level on the fly? Ex. if I start the game on normal, but after a while find it too easy, can I change it to hard-difficulty without starting new game?

I asked this earlier and was told that you can but it will prevent you from getting the achievement/trophy if you don't use the same difficulty through the whole game.

So, if you start on easy, then change the difficulty to hard pretty much right at the beginning, you still wont get the hard difficulty achievement/trophy when you beat it.

Great cake, but yeah a missed opportunity on the Brownies. Should have had a bear eating some brownies since the bears in the game appear to hate them so much. Damn racist bears.

Saw on ps3trophies that there's no trophies tied to the day-1 DLC, fwiw. At least, he didn't see any new trophies when adding the online pass.

But there is a trophy for
Talking to someone with your junk out. =)

Normal first to simply enjoy the game. Hard on subsequent playthru for the achievement.

spirity

BTW...Since you are playing on PC, check out a post on your forums about getting the most out of the game on the PC. A few of us have posted some tweaks you can make via the driver and or using other programs to get even more image quality out of the game. Very informative post!

Oh. Do you have a link please? I tried looking for it but the forums are all messed up up for me, like they're not loading correctly. Not sure if its an issue my end.

BrettWeir

Ok.....I'm reading/hearing about how the loot system is compared to how Diablo is. The question I have is, can you quit out of the game and the mobs respawn once you start the game back up like in Diablo?

I absolutely love loot runs in Diablo.

scy

So excited for this :) shame to see a lack of hype in the UK but hopefully that will change next week.

Build wise thinking of this 96/0/27

Any particular reason behind absolutely no weapon Masteries?

Anyway, decided to toy around with some more builds because why not:

79 Finesse / 44 Sorcery Longbow / Scepter - I keep telling myself that I'll do a Finesse hybrid build and just not get the Poison line but I always end up dumping points into it. 5/5 Lunge is there as a point dump. I always seem to end up with Lunge in these builds recently...

63 Finesse / 60 Sorcery Longbow / Scepter - This is more or less just to get the Shadowmaster Destiny and to see what a maxed out Faer Gorta is like. The point spread seems to work out pretty well though.

Both builds are basically just full ranged builds that are working off the assumption that Stealth bonus crit damage works even on Bows. Still, the points in that skill are almost a point dump anyway :/

I was playing around with Chakrams in the demo (Greatswords, Chakrams, and Faeblades seems to start appearing as loot around level 3) and I think I've found my favorite weapon so far. The charge attack is so much better than the staff that it's almost insulting (although it does vary in effectiveness with distance while the staff one doesn't seem to) and the basic combo is pretty fun and has decent range. Unless I'm mistaken, the last hit covers a small area behind you, which is nice if you walked into more enemies than intended.

Thinking of going for a Shadowmaster build that looks something like this. Daggers or Faeblades for stealth kills (the points from whichever one you like less could be used for traps or lunge, but I like choices) and Chakrams for tearing things up once exposed.

Edit: Curious about some things and wondering if someone knows the answers yet: Do Scepters and/or Chakrams count as ranged weapons for the various "+ranged damage" destinies? If you can find some way to get back into stealth, can you get the stealth bonus on a mark of flame detonation?

Ala Alba

Can someone please provide me with a link to this post?

scy

Edit: Curious about some things and wondering if someone knows the answers yet: Do Scepters and/or Chakrams count as ranged weapons for the various "+ranged damage" destinies? If you can find some way to get back into stealth, can you get the stealth bonus on a mark of flame detonation?

There's been reports that Chakrams don't even count with Envenomed Edge, though I haven't tried it myself. If that's the case, a lot of my builds will be so, so different ... :|

I'll try to check both of those out later. Shouldn't be too hard to do so.

RPGCrazied

I hope they fix some of the problems in the PS3 demo. Cutting off sound, enormous amounts of texture pop in. I really didn't mind the camera, so if they fix those 2 things, I'm in.

RS4-

I only played about 10 mins, felt some motion sickness about to set in. And I think it's the camera that's causing it.

I'll give it another go later.

One thing I hadn't noticed before is that if your shield is up and an enemy gets behind you and hits you, it counts as a block. I'm not a fan of that.

Amir0x

Banned
damn i can't stop playing this demo. guess I'm going to use the calculator to plan my advancement technique. Loooove that type of stuff. So many choices. It's one of the reasons I prefer this type of RPG over others.

scy

There's been reports that Chakrams don't even count with Envenomed Edge, though I haven't tried it myself. If that's the case, a lot of my builds will be so, so different ... :|

I'll try to check both of those out later. Shouldn't be too hard to do so.

Go to check these like I said and don't get a Chakram drop in two runs of the demo (though one crashed out on me early). What the ... :/

I did check that Sceptre damage is boosted by +Ranged, however. So ... there's that. If someone wants to check if Chakrams count as ranged for the bonus damage purpose and if it counts as an edged weapon (e.g., Envenomed Edge works with it), I'd appreciate it. If nobody gets to it, I'll do it later tonight I guess.

On that note, Staves/Scepters don't count for it, though I wager that's obvious since the game straight up mentions it needs an edge. I guess that rules out Hammers as well.

Top Bottom