• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Madridy

I had tons of fun playing the demo, just a shame that I have dozens of RPGs in my backlog that prevent me from buying this day one! But I'll definitely buy it during Steam holiday sale!

nonnocere

So what difficulty is everyone going to start out on? I am still deciding what to do...I want a good challenge, but have not heard from anyone how hard is hard?

I will likely start on Hard as well. I might switch back to normal with a weaker class at some point.

So I can't decide what version to get the 360 version looks a little worse. The PS3 version frame rate jumps around making it more noticeable but it seems to run a little better all around.

Desaan

Is it wrong that I read the OT description as An Ass-Pounding Funfest?

Hope they can sort out the camera woes, it's a real deal breaker for me.

alba

Little is the new Big
Go to check these like I said and don't get a Chakram drop in two runs of the demo (though one crashed out on me early). What the ... :/

I found my first one in the Hall of ballads. In the ball-shaped chest :) "Students Chakrams" seems like they're always there.

Grinchy

Banned
I think I am just going full on Sorcery. Staves and Chakrams would work together right? Seemed okay in the demo.

That's probably what I'm going to do. I like that you can have the staff for up close fighting and the chakram for long range and there's no switching weapons or anything inbetween. Sorcery was really fun in the demo.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Pre-ordered and in a holding pattern till Tuesday. Can't decide whether to make my first character a magic user or a sword swinging stabby guy (or gal!).

ironcreed

Banned
What's the story on the PS3 version? Runs well? Will DLC be day and date with the other platforms?

PS3 version looks and runs great. It is the version that IGN played and proceeded to give a 9.0 to. DLC will be released at the same time on all platforms as well.

Atruvius

I will likely start on Hard as well. I might switch back to normal with a weaker class at some point.

I'll probably be playing on hard too. You have better chances of getting better loot and twist of fate cards that way, or so I read someone say on the official forums.

Also, if you hit a wall you can just change the difficulty to normal or easy.

Amir0x

Banned
Final demo playthrough i think playing as the last final mix type. Very satisfying. Does the character creation screen music sound like straight off the Harry Potter soundtrack to anyone else? Not an insult, I don't like Harry Potter but it did have a good soundtrack.

Amir0x

Banned
Man graphics are fugly. lol at the texture whtn you wake up. Kameo looks better FFS

Kameo is also like 3 hours long and does not require assets for a world that can fit 200 hours worth of content. same argument about why open world games tend not to look as good as non-open world game.

just sayin'.

the LOD really should be fixed for PC version though, kiiiinda unacceptable. The rest of the game just looks decent, but it has a rad atmosphere so it sorta makes up for some of the downfall.

Ahasverus

Kameo is also like 3 hours long and does not require assets for a world that can fit 200 hours worth of content. same argument about why open world games tend not to look as good as non-open world game.

just sayin'.

the LOD really should be fixed for PC version though, kiiiinda unacceptable. The rest of the game just looks decent, but it has a rad atmosphere so it sorta makes up for some of the downfall.

Sorry to take the most obvious example, but Skyrim is not near this levels of uglyness. Hell not even oblivion.
But yeah art direction is good, soo good that makes me sad to think how awesome could it look if handed properly.

Though I know this is not the biggest studio ever and this game is a first effort, and it plays great so kudos for that
(not that it's an excuse, Lords of Shadow came from a very small and unexperienced studio, it lasts a lot of hours and it's one of the best looking game this gen, but still...)

Amir0x

Banned
Sorry to take the most obvious example, but Skyrim is not near this levels of uglyness. Hell not even oblivion.
But yeah art direction is good, soo good that makes me sad to think how awesome could it look if handed properly.

Though I know this is not the biggest studio ever and this game is a first effort, and it plays great so kudos for that
(not that it's an excuse, Lords of Shadow came from a very small and unexperienced studio, it lasts a lot of hours and it's one of the best looking game this gen, but still...)

Art direction is part of ones evaluation of the visuals of a title.

Skyrim, which I like a lot, has a lot of problems on this end. Its world because of the location is dead, lifeless, white and grey and rarely filled with color at all. There is quite a shockingly tiny amount of location variation, considering the scope of the game.

Kingdom of Amalur has an amazing variety of locations, each looking dramatically different from the last, and an astonishing level of license because of this. They're transporting you to a fantasy world instead of a fantasy region, and it's far more entertaining to explore the universe as a result. You know there's always something new to look at around the bend.

Also, Lords of Shadow can say what it wants, it ran at like 20 fps or even less 99% of the time and was an embarrassment for gaming across the board. So really as it goes, it depends on what you find important in your package. I need a consistent framerate, which Amalur seems to have most of the time as far as I can tell, and I need a consistent art direction with a good level of variety in an RPG since you spend so many hours in the world.

ReaperXL7

Might
Brutal Weaponry I: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Skillful Defense: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Brutal Weaponry II: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Greatsword Mastery: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Quake: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Adrenaline Surge: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Hardy Constitution: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Aftershock: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Power Strike: (Rank: 3 / 5)
Brutal Weaponry III: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Bulwark: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Battle Frenzy: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Brutal Weaponry IV: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Stoneskin: (Rank: 3 / 5)

Finesse
Longbow Mastery: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Shadow Flare: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Assassin's Art: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Drawpower: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Frost Trap: (Rank: 4 / 4)
Arrow Storm: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Icy Explosion: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Lunge: (Rank: 1 / 5)
Smoke Bomb: (Rank: 3 / 4)
Barbed Arrows: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Enduring Agony: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Blade Honing: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Poison Bomb: (Rank: 4 / 4)
Scattershot: (Rank: 6 / 6)

This I think is the way i'm leaning for my character,

Might/Finesse build (Blade Master Destiny)

Main Weapons: Great Sword/ Longbows

Actives:
Quake/aftershock
Shadow Flare
Frost Trap/ Icy Explosion
Smoke Bomb/poison smoke bomb
Battle Frenzy

Sustained: Blade Honing

Basically the character in my mind would be pretty versitle, sneak into a area were I would be able to funnel enemies into a tight space, set a trap or two, get their attention with my bow, then mop up the straggelers with my great sword. Smoke Bomb would be great for situations in which I need to escape, or give me an edge when sneaking. Quake is great for AOE damage, espeically when combined with the aftershock modifer, with shadow flare, and battle frenzy being more situational.

The +30% crit to my Great Sword from blade Honing should also come in quite handy, as Great Swords are already super powered.

Final demo playthrough i think playing as the last final mix type. Very satisfying. Does the character creation screen music sound like straight off the Harry Potter soundtrack to anyone else? Not an insult, I don't like Harry Potter but it did have a good soundtrack.

John Williams makes anything better. The only reason why the Star Wars prequels weren't a complete waste.

Ahasverus

Also, Lords of Shadow can say what it wants, it ran at like 20 fps or even less 99% of the time and was an embarrassment for gaming across the board. So really as it goes, it depends on what you find important in your package. I need a consistent framerate, which Amalur seems to have most of the time as far as I can tell, and I need a consistent art direction with a good level of variety in an RPG since you spend so many hours in the world.
lol what is this I don't even... did you play it? did tyou know thee were even levels running at 60fps? and that the only fps fall was the first level and some shit at the door at the necromancer abbys? (and yeeah that was a slideshow, god).

On topic, I'm loving, loving, LOVING the music, it's melodic, epic and memorable, and it's only a demo :D

Amir0x

Banned
lol what is this I don't even... did you play it? did tyou know thee were even levels running at 60fps? and that the only fps fall was the first level and some shit at the door at the necromancer abbys? (and yeeah that was a slideshow, god).

On topic, I'm loving, loving, LOVING the music, it's melodic, epic and memorable, and it's only a demo :D

Played it and beat it. The amount of times the game is over 30fps can be counted on my dick. I don't think I have more than one dick.

Seriously, the game has an embarrassing framerate and so if you're going to diss one game and try to hold up another, it's important to call a spade a spade. Lords of Shadow is a game no title should attempt to live up to, considering they'd be aiming quite low indeed. If you don't think the game has a terrible framerate at almost all occasions, then it's clear that it'd be difficult to see eye to eye on your evaluation of visuals because it's suspect that you even are seeing what's there.

Ahasverus

Played it and beat it. The amount of times the game is over 30fps can be counted on my dick. I don't think I have more than one dick.

Seriously, the game has an embarrassing framerate and so if you're going to diss one game and try to hold up another, it's important to call a spade a spade. Lords of Shadow is a game no title should attempt to live up to, considering they'd be aiming quite low indeed. If you don't think the game has a terrible framerate at almost all occasions, then it's clear that it'd be difficult to see eye to eye on your evaluation of visuals because it's suspect that you even are seeing what's there.

I don't know, IGN said the game froze for them every time you kill an enemy, that's not the case for me, and Dave Cox (producer) said the problem is not present at launch problems, perhaps you had one of the older builds? I don't know, there's shit happening with that game. (I think the bug was fixed with a patch though).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I love Lords of Shadow, but even I cannot pretend it had a decent framerate. On PS3, it had awful screen tearing, and a shit framerate. Could not agree more, Amir0x.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't know, IGN said the game froze for them every time you kill an enemy, that's not the case for me, and Dave Cox (producer) said the problem is not present at launch problems, perghaps you had one of the older builds? I don't know, there's shit happening with that game. (I think the bug was fixed witha patch though).

one of the older builds. Of a fully released retail game on disc. That's the going excuse now?

No. I got the normal build with the normal atrocious framerates: you just quite obviously are shit at telling the difference between framerates. No offense, but that's the reality if you didn't notice how horrific Lords of Shadows was in that arena.

Edit: I'm not saying you're wrong for liking it, if that's what you like. I'm just saying using it as a benchmark for what other new developers should try to achieve is suspect. Amalur runs at a mostly consistent framerate for everything I've played so far. Framerate actually impacts gameplay, so it's one of the more important parts of graphics.

scy

You can buy some at the Inn.

I've never seen them for purchase but maybe I just overlooked it. I guess I'll check when I test it later.

I found my first one in the Hall of ballads. In the ball-shaped chest :) "Students Chakrams" seems like they're always there.

I'm used to always getting one so it was weird that the one time I wanted them for a testing purpose that I didn't get any :/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this has been answered already, but will Steam preloading be made available?

Are NPC deaths permanent? I ended up slaughtering the whole main village, including guards and shopkeepers. Does that mean you won't have access to their services and/or quests for the rest of the game?

Are NPC deaths permanent? I ended up slaughtering the whole main village, including guards and shopkeepers. Does that mean you won't have access to their services and/or quests for the rest of the game?

Some are, some aren't. There's definitely NPCs in that first town who revive about 30 seconds after you down them. Not sure if the other NPCs revive after a few night-day cycles like mobs do.

scy

Just some quick demo testing has Chakrams as melee weapons (that is, +Melee% boosts it) and do not have an edge so Envenomed Edge does not apply to them.

Dang :/

Top Bottom