• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Amir0x

Banned
that's odd, the Amalur demo on steam is all weird. Like, during all gameplay segments I see the UI but none of the graphics load in. I can go to the menu and see that, but the gameplay doesn't show up. Hmmm... strange.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
that's odd, the Amalur demo on steam is all weird. Like, during all gameplay segments I see the UI but none of the graphics load in. I can go to the menu and see that, but the gameplay doesn't show up. Hmmm... strange.

ATI/AMD GPU?

Turn off post processing.

e_i

Huh...My Steam library says the game is installed, but the game is "unavailable." It does this on all three of my computers. The game is highlighted (not greyed out like uninstalled games).

Nista

Huh...My Steam library says the game is installed, but the game is "unavailable." It does this on all three of my computers. The game is highlighted (not greyed out like uninstalled games).

Same here. Maybe it stealth pre-loaded.

ReaperXL7

Yeah I met Duff once at the roller derby, and he is a pretty chill guy. You can tell his staff who made the Boggart really put a lot of effort into making it properly mischievous yet tasty.
I think the cake inside was red velvet, because the floor around it looked pretty grim and appropriately bloody once it was hacked apart. I washed it down with a "Jack of All Trades" cocktail. Great party!

Yeah I'm going to have to call him tomarrow and tell him what a great job they did on that cake. Although they have done tons of great ones. The crew he has all really care about the work they put into those cakes and it shows.

Am I the only one who find it suspicious that IGN got the exclusive first review and gave it a gushing 9? Because, after playing the demo, the game is not bad but come on. It's like Colin Moriarty didn't play the same game as I did. His claim that it surpasses every other western RPG sounds crazy to me.

SPEA

Am I the only one who find it suspicious that IGN got the exclusive first review and gave it a gushing 9? Because, after playing the demo, the game is not bad but come on. It's like Colin Moriarty didn't play the same game as I did.

Cause you didn't play the game. You played the demo.

Sylonious

In the Spurchy Live Stream chat they were saying that on Hard Mode enemy timing is better and archers work harder to keep their distance etc.

Am I the only one who find it suspicious that IGN got the exclusive first review and gave it a gushing 9? Because, after playing the demo, the game is not bad but come on. It's like Colin Moriarty didn't play the same game as I did. His claim that it surpasses every other western RPG sounds crazy to me.

I knew based on the demo alone that the combat was better than in any other WRPG (or JRPG) I've ever played. Criticizing the score when you haven't played the game yourself is pretty dumb.

In the Spurchy Live Stream chat they were saying that on Hard Mode enemy timing is better and archers work harder to keep their distance etc.

That's true. I don't know the specifics...can check with some folks on Monday if people are curious, but I'm pretty sure we do more than just upping the damage/hp of mobs.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just beat the demo again. Not gonna spoil myself anymore. A few parting PC shots.

reckoningdemo2012-02-jei59.png

reckoningdemo2012-02-zqf6s.png

reckoningdemo2012-02-2heg0.png

reckoningdemo2012-02-oddwi.png

The game does need an LOD fix on the PC version. It's not annoying but would be nice to see at least some sort of ini setup where we can enhance the distance.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Why would I find it suspicious that a game I'm very excited for would get a 9?

Rokam

That's true. I don't know the specifics...can check with some folks on Monday if people are curious, but I'm pretty sure we do more than just upping the damage/hp of mobs.

If you wouldn't mind, be interested in knowing if the rumor that Hard difficulty has better loot has any truth in it.

Cause you didn't play the game. You played the demo.

I knew based on the demo alone that the combat was better than in any other WRPG (or JRPG) I've ever played. Criticizing the score when you haven't played the game yourself is pretty dumb.

The whole point of playing a demo is to form an opinion of a game before spending your hard-earned money on it. Don't fault me for doing exactly that.

If you wouldn't mind, be interested in knowing if the rumor that Hard difficulty has better loot has any truth in it.

I'll check with designers on Monday...unless Bazooie is reading the thread right now and could chime in...:)

I'll check on that loot thing too. I'm curious to know myself.

About 5 hours into the game.
Its pretty damn awesome; combat is really fun, tons of quests, cool loot.
Only complaints are that music seems kind of meh so far an the game is damn easy.
Otherwise though, so addictive. And I hated the demo.
P.S. no manual at all; just a safety guide.

Massa

The whole point of playing a demo is to form an opinion of a game before spending your hard-earned money on it. Don't fault me for doing exactly that.

The demo gives you a better basis to decide whether the game is something that would interest you or not; it's definitely not enough to judge a game, and certainly not enough to be suspicious of malice in IGN's review.

Rokam

Anyone know how the mage armor looks later in the game? I'm not really digging that cape and sandals set from the demo.

If you look at the destiny cards for the mage, the armor in the pictures is actual armor. Although some of the mage cards have the guy standing in the background far away.

Sylonious

I watched a few streams for a few hours and it didn't run anything like the Demo I played.

My mind is boggled. Does anybody know of another RPG that does that? I've just never really seen it before.

Rokam

Only complaints are that music seems kind of meh so far an the game is damn easy.

I think the manual is accessed through a menu.

The demo gives you a better basis to decide whether the game is something that would interest you or not; it's definitely not enough to judge a game, and certainly not enough to be suspicious of malice in IGN's review.

Agree to disagree. A demo shows you the core mechanics, graphics, sound design, art direction, etc. Those won't drastically change as you keep playing past the first hour. The content will be different, but the way this content is being presented to you and the way you interact with it is going to remain essentially the same.

foladar

Just curious, what difficult are you playing on?

Sylonious

Agree to disagree. A demo shows you the core mechanics, graphics, sound design, art direction, etc. Those won't drastically change as you keep playing past the first hour. The content will be different, but the way this content is being presented to you and the way you interact with it is going to remain essentially the same.

Which Demo did you play?

Hannar

Huge update to the 38 Watch Developer Index tonight as I caught up with Joe and Curt's posting barrage over at the official forums, here, and at FOH. There was enough to create three new sections. There were also some good lore bits from Moorgard.

Sylonious

Lol, they shutdown the live stream. Worried about getting sued or something.

I learned so much about the game from that stream.

Just normal.

I'm thinking you should up the difficulty. From what I heard it will probably be more fun.

Huge update to the 38 Watch Developer Index tonight as I caught up with Joe and Curt's posting barrage over at the official forums, here, and at FOH. There was enough to create three new sections. There were also some good lore bits from Moorgard.

I read somewhere that Copernicus was due out in September.

I'm not faulting you for forming an opinion based on the demo. It's obvious from all the love the game is getting here that people formed some mighty high opinions of the game based solely on the demo. I'm faulting you for taking issue with a review when you haven't played what he's played.

Khezu

Just normal.

From the stream, it seems like it gets harder, but you can always cheese your way through with potions. Dude on the stream went through like 30 potions in like an hour or so. Some of the mini bosses could nearly one shot you with well placed magic attack, especially the tornados.

spirity

You're not alone, I'm always dubious of exclusive review scores. However, I think Reckoning is a fine game regardless. Just going on what I've seen in the demo, if I had to score it, I'd give it a solid 8.

From the stream, it seems like it gets harder, but you can always cheese your way through with potions. Dude on the stream went through like 30 potions in like an hour or so. Some of the mini bosses could nearly one shot you with well placed magic attack, especially the tornados.

Was the guy in the stream playing it on hard?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You're not alone, I'm always dubious of exclusive review scores. However, I think Reckoning is a fine game regardless. Just going on what I've seen in the demo, if I had to score it, I'd give it a solid 8.

Number scores are dumb, imho.

I give it a solid "I will play this game." because, frankly, that's all that matters.

Poker360

I do have to agree with you somewhat. The demo didn't seem like a 9 in quality. After playing it, i was like.. hmm. 7.5 or 8 maybe? It did have some camera issues and the graphics were kinda eh.. lacked quite a bit of polish. It was, however, 3 months old (i think?).

The core mechanics of the demo will definitely be in the full game. If you liked them (which i personally did), then you would like the game. Reviews are always so subjective though. I always do question early reviews with high scores though.

Apeboy

The demo had the opposite effect on me than most by the looks of it. I had planned to preorder but the demo snafus gave me pause. However, watching the live streams made me weak and off to amazon I went and preordered the ps3 version.

I wonder if in the future it would be better for developers to show live streams of different parts of their game rather than go through the expense and hassle of trying to get out a demo.

Khezu

Was the guy in the stream playing it on hard?

Ya.

The demo had the opposite effect on me than most by the looks of it. I had planned to preorder but the demo snafus gave me pause. However, watching the live streams made me weak and off to amazon I went and preordered the ps3 version.

I wonder if in the future it would be better for developers to show live streams of different parts of their game rather than go through the expense and hassle of trying to get out a demo.

There kinda doing that, on release day anyway, there giving a lot of the super popular streamers like day9 a free copy to stream all day, and some other people inclduing that loud british guy who only got popular because he got invited to the wow cata beta.

Top Bottom