• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Sylonious

It's really strange that people keep talking about this game as if it's being developed by a new studio, when Big Huge Games has been around since 2003.

They were working on an RPG with Ken Rolston as the lead designer for a couple of years before Schilling came into the picture. It seems to me like they took the work that they were doing and mixed it with the amalur universe to make Reckoning.

This also makes me wonder about the MMO from 38 Studios. Seems like two completely different teams have been working on both games. The only thing that was confirmed to be the same was the Amalur universe.

Edit: Travis McGeathy from Everquest is lead designer of the MMO instead of Ken Rolston. R. A. Salvatore is Director of Creative Content and Todd McFarlene is Executive Art Director instead of just "consultants" like they are with Kingdoms Of Amalur.

I think most people just assumed the MMO would be very similar to Reckoning, but it looks like the two games will be very different.

Sylonious

Any difference between 360 and ps3 ? Demo on my 360 ran fine but is the ps3 version any different ?

Yes, I played both and the PS3 version was a lot different. However, both versions were pretty buggy and not a real indication of the final build.

I'll give you an example.

With the PS3 version they were experimenting with unlocking the framerate when you go into a cave. So it would dip back and forth between really high framerate and stuttering etc.

They have since taken that out of the game entirely.

Any difference between 360 and ps3 ? Demo on my 360 ran fine but is the ps3 version any different ?

PS3 demo is jaggier but clearer. 360 demo isn't jaggy at all but the visuals are really blurry. Both exhibit the same problem of the world basically redrawing itself almost immediately in front of you.

Kem0sabe

It's really strange that people keep talking about this game as if it's being developed by a new studio, when Big Huge Games has been around since 2003.

They were working on an RPG with Ken Rolston as the lead designer for a couple of years before Schilling came into the picture. It seems to me like they took the work that they were doing and mixed it with the amalur universe to make Reckoning.

This also makes me wonder about the MMO from 38 Studios. Seems like two completely different teams have been working on both games. The only thing that was confirmed to be the same was the Amalur universe.

If you look at the pics from their ascendant rpg from 2006 and the pics from KoA, you can clearly see its the same engine and concept. Still, that doesnt mean much, projects get "retooled" all the time, the latest ghost recon comes to mind, as well as the last splinter cell.

Ascendant gameplay video over at Kotaku.

BrettWeir

If you look at the pics from their ascendant rpg from 2006 and the pics from KoA, you can clearly see its the same engine and concept. Still, that doesnt mean much, projects get "retooled" all the time, the latest ghost recon comes to mind, as well as the last splinter cell.

Could there be a smaller video? Can't see shit. Enlarging it makes it a pixelated mess.

**Edit: But thanks for posting it!

Sylonious

I think most people following the game just assumed the MMO would take the same gameplay from KOA and apply it online. Now I realize that these are two totally different studios working on two totally different games.

Could there be a smaller video? Can't see shit. Enlarging it makes it a pixelated mess.

Another video. Another video. Another Video.

Boss Man

Pre-ordered at GameStop today. Was surprised to hear that they're doing a midnight release (small-ish town). Super excited!

gehrig38

Pre-ordered at GameStop today. Was surprised to hear that they're doing a midnight release (small-ish town). Super excited!
Where do you live? Can you PLEASE get me the store managers information, contact or otherwise? Love to reach out and say thanks given their effort in helping our game launch, very cool.

Kem0sabe

The game looks a lot better than Ascendant, but there are definitely some similarities. I guess maybe the huge differences we are seeing between the two games are due to 38 Studios and it's influence.

Nice long gameplay video.

Yeah Amalur looks much better, with McFarlane´s influence shinning through. What i found most interesting is that the basic concept of the hero remains the same, you can even see in some of the ascendant images the "twist of fate cards".

Forgot to post earlier a galery link to a few images from the former game - here

Anyways, anyone have any feedback on how serious is the pop up and slowdowns on the ps3 version, if any? I was turning around to buying for the console, else i might head over on to steam.

Ferny

I'm so torn between getting the 360 version or getting the Steam version. The PC version seemed to work just fine on my comp but I just am not sure which to go for since i'm pretty much a console guy.

Sylonious

Yeah Amalur looks much better, with McFarlane´s influence shinning through. What i found most interesting is that the basic concept of the hero remains the same, you can even see in some of the ascendant images the "twist of fate cards".

Forgot to post earlier a galery link to a few images from the former game - here

Thanks for the screenshots.

Yeah, I played the demo and was like, "wow I really like the atmosphere of this game", but I never really attributed it much to McFarlene for some reason [bumps head]. Now I know what the game would have been like without him.

Anyways, anyone have any feedback on how serious is the pop up and slowdowns on the ps3 version, if any? I was turning around to buying for the console, else i might head over on to steam.

I wouldn't worry about the demo too much. I watched the IGN live stream (PS3 Version) for like 90 minutes and I didn't see any of the problems that I had while playing the PS3 Demo.

Just read the IGN Review. He did that review playing the PS3 version only.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Damn! Curt, kudos on the completion of the game and the launch.

It looks pretty good from what I've seen. I bought it today, but only after hearing it was not an mmorpg. The name is very generic, and the trailers didn't do much to show the depth the game has. It may be too late by now for a big ad push, but I think word of mouth will make it successful (hell, got me to buy it) and hopefully there is better advertising for this game next time.

Thanks for releasing this during the drought! No torchlight 2 and no diablo 3 and a bit bored of skyrim makes this the perfect time!

Wallach

I'm so torn between getting the 360 version or getting the Steam version. The PC version seemed to work just fine on my comp but I just am not sure which to go for since i'm pretty much a console guy.

Just plug your 360 controller into your PC, what's the big deal?

Finally getting around to try out the demo on Steam, but does anyone know if the character creator in the demo is the same as in the final game? Seems pretty limited in only being able to pick out preset faces and not having more details to tweak.

Where do you live? Can you PLEASE get me the store managers information, contact or otherwise? Love to reach out and say thanks given their effort in helping our game launch, very cool.

It is things like this that make me really just wanna support you and your company any way I can. Bravo sir Bravo....

Amir0x

Banned
I'm playing it on Steam dude. I just though the amazon armor set applied to the PC version too, and I didn't want to actually pre-order it.

gehrig38

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| Cave Exploring Simulator

Just wait dude, there are some out of this world visuals to be seen once you start heading out into the world.
One of my favorite all time visuals is when you enter a dungeon and the roof is transparent, and there are these massive creatures swimming over your head, like being in a massive aquarium (if aquariums had mythic sea creatures I guess)
Oh and doors, I do believe if nothing else we've reinvented the way doors look in games forever:)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't think much of it but the OT name is rather goofy. I would rather have it plain. OP, you need to fix that. I would even take Arcade Action RPG over the one you got.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just wait dude, there are some out of this world visuals to be seen once you start heading out into the world.
One of my favorite all time visuals is when you enter a dungeon and the roof is transparent, and there are these massive creatures swimming over your head, like being in a massive aquarium (if aquariums had mythic sea creatures I guess)
Oh and doors, I do believe if nothing else we've reinvented the way doors look in games forever:)

haha I was just poking fun at what one of the streamers was crying about. I've seen alot of the promotional stuff :p The later areas look pretty crazy, and yes I remember you talking about how you guys tried to one up each other with crazy doors LOL If everything was grand from the start... well nothing would be grand then :p

madmook

Wow can't wait to see that for myself. Hopefully that's not too far into the game or some super secret hidden area.

Nista

They make some awesome cakes, I've seen a few from them that I just could not believe, and when I went to culinary school I saw some impressive stuff. Plus Duff is cool people.

Yeah I met Duff once at the roller derby, and he is a pretty chill guy. You can tell his staff who made the Boggart really put a lot of effort into making it properly mischievous yet tasty.
I think the cake inside was red velvet, because the floor around it looked pretty grim and appropriately bloody once it was hacked apart. I washed it down with a "Jack of All Trades" cocktail. Great party!

I love the look of some of the cities they showed in the IGN stream. Especially the one that appears to be completely constructed using nature.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hrmm... Yeah, this Steam situation is weird.

It shows up in white on the games list as if it has been installed already. It's also impossible to uninstall the game.

madmook

man you think they'd hide such a rad area in some super secret hard to find place? ;)
Bleh, I never do all sidequests or "100%" a game, so I probably miss a ton of content in all the games I play.

Definitely don't wanna miss what Curt described, though. Hell, I'd even appreciate directions to that specific spot.

Top Bottom