• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Klyka

Banned
What happens if you decimate a town? Do the NPC's come back?

According to the devs you can kill every non-essential NPC and you can even kill the latter after they fulfilled their part in the main quest. THe NPCs are supposedly going to stay dead. At least the named ones will for sure!

There is something weird about this game on Steam or maybe it has something to do with the fact that I was gifted the uk version. When I try to go to the store page from the library listing, it doesn't work and when I actually go to the store page it does not recognize that I preorder it already.

AEREC

I just said that: YOU CAN NOT SAVE DURING COMBAT

Im just asking because in your previous post it did not sound like a definite answer in regards to the "saving during combat" part of my question.

I know I could save anywhere and quicksave anywhere but I have not tried it during combat yet.
I would actually say "No" to save in combat, because it just sounds weird to load the game in the middle of a swing or something.

gehrig38

Save anywhere anytime for me, with IN COMBAT being the exception, I think. I think because I haven't actually tried in the final release game.

Back to Amalur.....

Zeth

I saw Schilling talking about an MMO in this world. Are there any details/info on that? I'm guessing it's in development. I really hope this game does well enough, it's very promising.

I'm tremendously hyped up by this game after having played through the demo.
If it wasn't for me being a student I would probably have pre-ordered the collector's edition already, but I don't think I'll be able to plonk down money for this until Christmas :(

EDIT: Reg. the MMO talks: Yes, please.

Klyka

Banned
Save anywhere anytime for me, with IN COMBAT being the exception, I think. I think because I haven't actually tried in the final release game.

Back to Amalur.....

Curt, can I hear your stance on me having bought the game on Origin, pre-loaded it and now playing it via a tiny bit of shenanigans? Do you deem this a "violation" or do I count as a normal customer who's just a tiny bit crafty?

Torraz

Back to Amalur.....

Any official word on a steam pre-load? Is there simply none or are there some technical difficulties?

ReaperXL7

I saw Schilling talking about an MMO in this world. Are there any details/info on that? I'm guessing it's in development. I really hope this game does well enough, it's very promising.

they will probably start talking about the MMO once Reckoning is shipped and has had some breathing room. My guess would be pax east since that was their first "big" reveal of Reckoning gameplay.

Jharp

Still trying to decide what version to get. I love the PS3 controller for this game, but I played both demos, and the PS3 version had a lot more jaggies and performed like shit.

Is that still present in the game? I'll get accustomed to the 360 controller for a third person action game like this if it means not dealing with awful performance spikes and up-resed SD graphics.

gehrig38

Curt, can I hear your stance on me having bought the game on Origin, pre-loaded it and now playing it via a tiny bit of shenanigans? Do you deem this a "violation" or do I count as a normal customer who's just a tiny bit crafty?

Listen, I'd rather you didn't. But it's the real world and hackers and cheats are their own business. As long as whatever you do, or anyone else does, doesn't hurt my people, our partners, or my company, there's nothing we can do, or should.

Peoples lives, and my company, are dependent on our games selling and being successful.

Dude, how do you think it makes me feel that people WANT to play bad enough to take these measures?

It's the same as our DLC videos leaking. It sucks on one hand, but we believe we made awesome stuff and we also believe the sheer amount of content, in addition to the awesomeness that is in it, are amazing. So that may have ended up being a huge positive we weren't planning. having said that, it's a lesson learned.

Lombaszko

According to the devs you can kill every non-essential NPC and you can even kill the latter after they fulfilled their part in the main quest. THe NPCs are supposedly going to stay dead. At least the named ones will for sure!
In the demo I got to the first town and killed everyone outside so none of the shopkeepers would sell or buy from me. It was nice I could still use the blacksmith forge and alchemy kit though. That will be cool if you can wipe out everyone after you finish all the quests and leave the town in shambles.

Klyka

Banned
Listen, I'd rather you didn't. But it's the real world and hackers and cheats are their own business. As long as whatever you do, or anyone else does, doesn't hurt my people, our partners, or my company, there's nothing we can do, or should.

Peoples lives, and my company, are dependent on our games selling and being successful.

Dude, how do you think it makes me feel that people WANT to play bad enough to take these measures?

It's the same as our DLC videos leaking. It sucks on one hand, but we believe we made awesome stuff and we also believe the sheer amount of content, in addition to the awesomeness that is in it, are amazing. So that may have ended up being a huge positive we weren't planning. having said that, it's a lesson learned.

Thank you for your answer, I have massive respect for you and your entire team.
I know there is no reason to believe some guy on the net you don't know, but let me reassure you, I have bought the game, On Origin, I have paid it in full. I really love the game and really wanted to support you guys.
I live in Europe though and the release date there is FRIDAY. Can you imagine waiting so long and then having to see all the Americans and Pirates playing the game DAYS before you can? It's frustrating as hell, ESPECIALLY since the game is RIGHT THERE ON MY HARD DRIVE!

So again, you have all my respect and you can be sure you will always have my support as a customer as long as you guys stay exactly like you are right now!

Amir0x

Banned
oh gehrig is actually that Curt. Heh. Damn talented player that one is. I though he was just a randomly passionate player part of the Reckoning development team.

Really shows the dude is genuinely passionate about his team and this game to engage the community like this, and not just faking it like so many other "big" names. I can say the demo convinced me to buy it and several of my friends, so you're striking some right notes for sure.

Riposte

How does the combat compare to full-blooded action games like DMC and games like Dark Souls? Is it shallow? Is it easy?

scy

Any idea if any of the abilities have changed from the demo? I'm particularly interested in seeing whether Envenomed Edge got a boost.

Since I got around to it, it seems to scale better. 10/20/30/40/50 rather than 5/10/15/20/25; 15% chance with a 25% cost still. Since I beelined the skill I figured I'd add some details for you on it. That scaling is speculation a bit since I only have it at 1/5 currently so I just know the 10 -> 20 part of it. I'll get back to you if there's anything else as I get more points invested into it.

Edit: Surprise! Chakrams are now edged weapons so Envenomed Edge works with them. My Finesse/Sorcery build just got that much better.

How does the combat compare to full-blooded action games like DMC and games like Dark Souls? Is it shallow? Is it easy?

I wouldn't use the DMC comparison because, comparatively speaking, it's not exactly oozing that kind of combo depth; not sure how to word that better but I don't really mean that Amalur doesn't have a combo system with it's own complexities but just that it's not quite the same kind of beast of those games.

Just at the start of the game, however, it's pretty simple to do a basic launcher (X -> X -> delayed X), juggle with a Bow, and then finish with a spell. At level 1 (technically, 0 I guess). It's a relatively simple system to pull off thus far. I'm not exactly very good at DMC, Bayonetta, etc. style systems but I'm not really having much difficulty doing basic combo setups.

Lain

Ahah, I thought it would be out on the 7th in Europe... now i realize that, since it'll be out on Friday here, I won't receive it before the 14 of February, if not later. Damn...

Looks like there might not be a Steam pre-load if hasn't happened by now. Sucks because I would have loved to play this at midnight early Tuesday.

It looks like it unlocks at 3am est early Tuesday, so I'll just have to start the download at 3 and go to sleep.

Zeth

My hype meter went from 0 to 10 in record time for this.

Saw you on TWiT's Game On, Curt, and was really pleasantly surprised to see how genuinely passionate you were about making a good game. It looks like a really well done combination of RPG and action elements. Like single player WoW meets DmC.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
oh gehrig is actually that Curt. Heh. Damn talented player that one is. I though he was just a randomly passionate player part of the Reckoning development team.

Really shows the dude is genuinely passionate about his team and this game to engage the community like this, and not just faking it like so many other "big" names. I can say the demo convinced me to buy it and several of my friends, so you're striking some right notes for sure.

This is one thing i love about 38. Curt is mad enthusiastic and passionate about the product. Having him post on GAF without the PR speak goes a long way.

ReaperXL7

Klyka or Scy, if you can when you reach a Fateweaver, can you find out if using one resets "All" of your skill, and ability points. I'm curious if fateweavers give you back the skill points from racial bonuses, and the ability points from the tutorial dungeon.

Klyka

Banned
Klyka or Scy, if you can when you reach a Fateweaver, can you find out if using one resets "All" of your skill, and ability points. I'm curious if fateweavers give you back the skill points from racial bonuses, and the ability points from the tutorial dungeon.

It does not give you racial skill points, I just confirmed.

It DOES give you the tutorial points which is why I urge EVERYONE to respec immediately when you can.

Derrick01

Banned
What's this about dlc videos? I haven't been paying attention too much to this thread. It's part of my new 2012 tactic of not hyping myself up on games I'm interested in.

Hannar

Muse made a post about it earlier this week indicating that was only a rumor and that there would be no Super Bowl commercials.

Hannar

What's this about dlc videos? I haven't been paying attention too much to this thread. It's part of my new 2012 tactic of not hyping myself up on games I'm interested in.

Some videos were leaked onto Youtube yesterday with some animated videos and voice over talking about the story behind the first two DLC's -- they were subsequently removed.

ReaperXL7

It does not give you racial skill points, I just confirmed.

It DOES give you the tutorial points which is why I urge EVERYONE to respec immediately when you can.

Thanks for the confirmation Klyka, looks like racial bonuses will make some small differences in the beginning of the game. Good to know that you get the ability points back though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Still no update on what's going on with the Steam release? I'm starting to get worried that we won't even be able to download the game on launch day since it acts like it's installed and it can't be uninstalled right now.

Are we talking about Curt Schilling here, of baseball fame?

Yes.

scy

Just to add, the cost so far seems to be (Level * 256) though I only have a small sample size for it.

Speaking of gold, the trainers are damned expensive. Detect Hidden one in the first city was over 15k gold for his services :|

Also, on Hard Mode and I'm getting green loot all over the place, though just one set piece (and it's a Sorcery set that is inferior to the
Selkie Veil
).

Still no update on what's going on with the Steam release? I'm starting to get worried that we won't even be able to download the game on launch day since it acts like it's installed and it can't be uninstalled right now.

Yes.

Lol, that's terrific! 40+ year olds in gaming always make me feel at home.

Yep, that Curt - known as gehrig38 and Ngruk in these parts and others.

If you'd like to read more of what he has to say on Reckoning, enjoy this.

Thanks for that link; I've been really busy lately, and had no idea Curt was involved in video games now. I really enjoyed the demo, and have high hopes for the final release.

Just preordered the game, first time ive done that in over a year. Ive been spreading the word about this to the gamers at my work and 2 of them are picking it up this week. Ive been in need of a rpg I could get lost in and this seems like the one, considering I played the demo 5 times :) Tuesday cant be here soon enough!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, that's terrific! 40+ year olds in gaming always make me feel at home.

He's super passionate about MMORPGs/RPGs and games in general. I remember there were articles about him playing EverQuest back in the early 2000s, and he's always been fairly vocal on various message boards. Seems like awesome guy, besides being an amazing baseball player.

Hannar

For one of his charitable efforts, they made him into an enemy in EverQuest II and I believe a certain amount was donated every time a group killed him:

Schilling_NPC_in_EQ2_closeup.jpg

everquest-ii-20060524023504560.jpg

Top Bottom