• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
No, the Origin pre-load just isn't encrypted at all, there's only a release date activation check. A cracked .exe was released pretty quickly that dodges that. I don't know what would happen if you logged into your EA account to get your pre-order items, though.

I smell a conspiracy!

scy

No, the Origin pre-load just isn't encrypted at all, there's only a release date activation check. A cracked .exe was released pretty quickly that dodges that. I don't know what would happen if you logged into your EA account to get your pre-order items, though.

I seem to have mine (the Fate weapons) just fine. Entered the pre-order code and there they were alongside some other bonuses (set of armor, some other weapons, the Dowsing Rod) in the chest.

Wallach

I seem to have mine (the Fate weapons) just fine. Entered the pre-order code and there they were alongside some other bonuses (set of armor, some other weapons, the Dowsing Rod) in the chest.

Did you log in to your EA account in-game? What I meant was I don't know if doing that would flag your account in any way.

Xilium

Did you log in to your EA account in-game? What I meant was I don't know if doing that would flag your account in any way.

Well they would know if he purchased the game or not, so as long as he paid for it they would probably just equate it to a broken street date. No harm, no foul.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to pre-load the special edition so I have to wait.

Torraz

Was there ever a confirmed "bonus" for playing hard, like more and better drops, twist of fate cards or something like that?

I tried another dagger run and got nowhere as compared to long swords, also on hard, so perhaps i'll have to rethink the pure finesse build.

ElyrionX

Since I got around to it, it seems to scale better. 10/20/30/40/50 rather than 5/10/15/20/25; 15% chance with a 25% cost still. Since I beelined the skill I figured I'd add some details for you on it. That scaling is speculation a bit since I only have it at 1/5 currently so I just know the 10 -> 20 part of it. I'll get back to you if there's anything else as I get more points invested into it.

Edit: Surprise! Chakrams are now edged weapons so Envenomed Edge works with them. My Finesse/Sorcery build just got that much better.l.

Great stuff man.

Amir0x

Banned
Ah, the composer of Amalur is Grand Kirkhope. The music is really good in this game, I was wondering who did it. Surprised after all that straight RARE work he welt to this game, but I'm glad... this is some strong shit.

KingK

Ah, the composer of Amalur is Grand Kirkhope. The music is really good in this game, I was wondering who did it. Surprised after all that straight RARE work he welt to this game, but I'm glad... this is some strong shit.

Yeah, I like what I've heard of the music. Nothing mind blowing, but very solid and fitting for the high fantasy setting.

scy

I did, actually. Haven't seen anything of note. But, yeah, it is an actual legit copy via Origin (well, Amazon -> Origin).

I haven't cancelled my Steam order yet either so I guess I'll have two digital copies :|

Great stuff man.

Interesting thing of note for Envenomed Edge, make sure to rebuff as you level it up. The buff is set when you apply it so any +Skills to it won't count until you rebuff. Likewise, any loss of +Skills won't apply so you can, theoretically, stack +Skill equipment, apply all your sustained buffs, and then switch out.

Also, the trainable skills are permanent (i.e., retained after respecs). However, you actually can't buy them when you have a skill higher than the trainer so ... you'll have to respec if you want to get some of the skills purchased to free up points.

And, speaking of respecs, the full formula seems to be:

X * (CharLevel * 256)

Where X = Times respecced so far. The first respec uses X = 1 so the first two are just (CharLevel * 256) but after that it will be 2 * (CharLevel * 256), 3 * (CharLevel * 256), 4 * (CharLevel * 256), and so on.

Edit: And just to add, Detect Hidden gives a pretty good reason to check out old areas again. Going back to older dungeons and finding hidden doors leading to collection of chests and stuff:

EmuZN.png

Wallach

Hey scy, can you confirm for me that Conservative Casting (T2 Sorcery) is a straight mana cost reduction on sustained abilities? I.E. at max rank a sustained that normally required 30% of the mana pool only requires 15%?

scy

Hey scy, can you confirm for me that Conservative Casting (T2 Sorcery) is a straight mana cost reduction on sustained abilities? I.E. at max rank a sustained that normally required 30% of the mana pool only requires 15%?

It does nothing for those abilities. I was hoping it would be but Envenomed Edge with -10% (Equipment) and -13% (Conservative Casting) still takes my mana to 102/135 (-25%).

Edit: And just to add, Detect Hidden gives a pretty good reason to check out old areas again. Going back to older dungeons and finding hidden doors leading to collection of chests and stuff:

Can you find these doors by just being observant or is it only available with the skill?

Wallach

It does nothing for those abilities. I was hoping it would be but Envenomed Edge with -10% (Equipment) and -13% (Conservative Casting) still takes my mana to 102/135 (-25%).

Huh, I was told it did in the demo. Maybe it changed. That's rough, since Sphere of Protection is 30% sustained... might go with the 10% mana deity if that is the case.

Can you find these doors by just being observant or is it only available with the skill?

They require the skill.

scy

Huh, I was told it did in the demo. Maybe it changed. That's rough, since Sphere of Protection is 30% sustained... might go with the 10% mana deity if that is the case.

I'll check again with other skills but that's how Envenomed Edge is working for me. You also can't cheese it by unequipping +Mana equipment, casting the buff, and then putting all the +Mana back on. It updates TotalMana for the check.

Unfortunately, they do require the skill. Which is both good and bad. It's nice for the extra value to the skill but, unfortunately, it kind of makes it a requirement if you want to check everything out.

Edit: To make matters worse, I found the last of one of the lorestones behind a door requiring the skill to find. That's +6% Faeblade damage that you cannot get without it. I imagine that quite a few other lorestones will be hidden in similar locations. I'll see if I can make a list as I find them.

On another note, the combat system is really, really rewarding for me from a min/max perspective. Some harder enemies (Threshes, Trolls, boss types) give obscene amounts of EXP per kill (800-1000 at my current level of 10); Reckoning mode with full bonus makes those kills worth a ton. Thanks to Detect Hidden, I can make sure I'm full on Reckoning before fighting them so I can get tons of EXP from the fight. Getting 20-40% of a level from a single fight is just amazing.

As for the min/max part, more Reckoning bonuses for doing better in combat so actually taking the time to try and juggle and weapon swap and use the abilities I have means more Fate which means more Reckoning which means more EXP. It's quite a blast to work with.

Wallach

Are you going the route of your avatar with finesse/sorcery, scy? I'm interested in how exactly blink works (though I've heard the hybrid one and the pure sorc one aren't the same either). If it really just replaces dodge and has no cooldown, it seems like such a crazy powerful tool to have, especially the pure sorcery version which is going to snare for maximum kiting cheapness.

ReaperXL7

I'll check again with other skills but that's how Envenomed Edge is working for me. You also can't cheese it by unequipping +Mana equipment, casting the buff, and then putting all the +Mana back on. It updates TotalMana for the check.

Unfortunately, they do require the skill. Which is both good and bad. It's nice for the extra value to the skill but, unfortunately, it kind of makes it a requirement if you want to check everything out.

Edit: To make matters worse, I found the last of one of the lorestones behind a door requiring the skill to find. That's +6% Faeblade damage that you cannot get without it. I imagine that quite a few other lorestones will be hidden in similar locations. I'll see if I can make a list as I find them.

On another note, the combat system is really, really rewarding for me from a min/max perspective. Some harder enemies (Threshes, Trolls, boss types) give obscene amounts of EXP per kill (800-1000 at my current level of 10); Reckoning mode with full bonus makes those kills worth a ton. Thanks to Detect Hidden, I can make sure I'm full on Reckoning before fighting them so I can get tons of EXP from the fight. Getting 20-40% of a level from a single fight is just amazing.

As for the min/max part, more Reckoning bonuses for doing better in combat so actually taking the time to try and juggle and weapon swap and use the abilities I have means more Fate which means more Reckoning which means more EXP. It's quite a blast to work with.

Do you feel like your out leveling content quickly, do you feel like the challange has stayed pretty consistant the further you get or has it dipped at all?

Loxley

We still gettin a super bowl ad for this? I remember rumors of it last week.

I doubt it. Super Bowl ads are ludicrously expensive, the kind of money that EA would reserve for a Battlefield or Madden, not a new IP (and an RPG no less, not exactly a genre that typically goes hand-in-hand with hardcore football fans).

scy

Are you going the route of your avatar with finesse/sorcery, scy? I'm interested in how exactly blink works (though I've heard the hybrid one and the pure sorc one aren't the same either). If it really just replaces dodge and has no cooldown, it seems like such a crazy powerful tool to have, especially the pure sorcery version which is going to snare for maximum kiting cheapness.

I have Blink right now and it's ... different? I'll check later but it feels like it's the exact same speed as rolling. That is, it fires just as fast, lasts just as long, and has the same time before you can move/evade again. It does have the benefit of letting you go right through enemies, however.

I'm actually working towards Poison Blink right now to see what it looks like so I'll get back to you when I get to it.

Do you feel like your out leveling content quickly, do you feel like the challange has stayed pretty consistant the further you get or has it dipped at all?

On the contrary, it's getting harder. Enemy HP scales faster than my damage is and I've yet to get into a (non-backtracking) area with non-yellow enemies. In fact, the area I'm at right now has a bunch of orange+ cons littered about (the aforementioned Threshes, Trolls). Even some regular enemies can decimate me (Jottuns come to mind) and take a lot of punishment; Jottuns, for instance, do about 30% of my HP at ~20% Physical Resistance and ~120 Armor while they have around 600-ish HP vs my ~30 damage per swing.

Edit: Level 10 with the above linked Faeblades, 9 Physical/9 Fire/18 over 3 Burning Damage Chakrams (36 converted Damage listed in top-right). Build is basically maxed Faeblade and Chakram passive with 6/6 Envenomed Edge and 3/5 Shadow Flare. EE is doing ~13 damage per second when it procs due to my +6% Poison Damage from my start deity choice and Shadow Flare is my bread and butter "big guy" killer. The bleeding damage it causes also makes Physical attacks do +33% damage so it's basically a staple for me. Plus, big enemies eat multiple hits from it so it can deal 200-ish in a single shot. I left the starter area (everything we could get to in the demo) at Level 8.5 or so and everything was still at least yellow to me; in fact, at 10 and my revisits, some of the stuff still is yellow.

I'd like to shake the hand of whomever made the executive decision of non-regening HP. That's the majority of the "difficulty" right there. Being forced into the Healing spell or potions makes fights a lot more hectic. Maybe if I kept myself stocked with potions at all times I'd find it easier but I just use what I find so I've run into situations where I'm playing defensively so I don't die with my <30% HP and zero potions :x

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I doubt it. Super Bowl ads are ludicrously expensive, the kind of money that EA would reserve for a Battlefield or Madden, not a new IP (and an RPG no less, not exactly a genre that typically goes hand-in-hand with hardcore football fans).

Yeah only hardcore baseball fans like go hand in hand with rpgs

Aww :(... Thanks

I'll go ahead and read more about how the level up system works then...
You get 1 skill point and 3 ability points per level. You can respec for a cost and it resets everything.

Really looking forward to this game, only downloaded the demo for the ME3 items but turned out it was an incredibly good game. Trouble is I have just got into Skyrim in the past few weeks, so I am hoping to get that finished up and then pick this up before ME3.

Shame there is no CE in UK, would've been all over that!

Wallach

So the game is actually difficult? Fuck yeah.

Hopefully Stealth feels fun and rewarding.

From what I've seen it seems more reminiscent of Diablo in terms of difficulty. You can definitely spam potions, so your deaths are likely to come gib-style (i.e. you don't react fast enough).

scy

So the game is actually difficult? Fuck yeah.

Hopefully Stealth feels fun and rewarding.

From what I've seen it seems more reminiscent of Diablo in terms of difficulty. You can definitely spam potions, so your deaths are likely to come gib-style (i.e. you don't react fast enough).

Basically this. The game has some difficulty on hard but my build is also a bit on the low-side for damage currently. Potions kind of remove much of the challenge of the game so I've kind of restricted myself to just what I've been finding.

ReaperXL7

Basically this. The game has some difficulty on hard but my build is also a bit on the low-side for damage currently. Potions kind of remove much of the challenge of the game so I've kind of restricted myself to just what I've been finding.

Without spoiling much how are your feelings on the world size and exploration aspects. Been in any of the cities yet?

Dragnet

Don't know whether it's been asked - has/will the camera for the console version be moved a bit further back in the final release? Feels so claustrophobic in the demo!

scy

Without spoiling much how are your feelings on the world size and exploration aspects. Been in any of the cities yet?

It's a bit bigger than I expected. I've only actually fully explored three different areas and about half of two others. Dungeons are a bit corridor-y, I guess, but I'm not really going to complain about that since they're filled with enemies that are fun to kill.

I haven't been in any real "cities", just three faction areas and two towns. I'll get back to you when I reach a big city I guess.

@Faeblades: You should be able to just purchase one in the first city, I believe. Either the Blacksmith vendor or the Inn vendor.

erragal

I'd like to shake the hand of whomever made the executive decision of non-regening HP. That's the majority of the "difficulty" right there. Being forced into the Healing spell or potions makes fights a lot more hectic. Maybe if I kept myself stocked with potions at all times I'd find it easier but I just use what I find so I've run into situations where I'm playing defensively so I don't die with my <30% HP and zero potions :x

While I still find some fights pretty tricky (Though I -just- got into my Guardian Destiny with some serious defensive gear, so we'll see how the next region goes) you can eliminate the non-regening HP pretty easily by socketing a health regen gem.

Of course I would also say that health regen gems need nerfed by about 50% (third tier should be about .75 per second and not 1.5) to preserve some of that danger.

Mark of flame is such crazy damage early in the game though that even on hard I've shredded most things I fight that aren't orange; orange troll was a scary fight though and I might need to skip some quests to ensure a harder difficulty curve for me. Or stop missing lorestones so I'm not backtracking through areas five times.

Really enjoying the game though and it's been a lot of fun to minmax so far!

It probably sounds stupid, but I like the font choice. It reminds me of Baldur's Gate. Now you just need super detailed item descriptions with illuminated script with embelished first letters.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I have yet to finish my PS3 review code (very close to the end, I guess - just reached Alabastra) and all I can say is that I'm definitely going to buy the retail version and play it again (with less haste hehe) cos it's quite awesome.

Top Bottom