• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Loxley

He's super passionate about MMORPGs/RPGs and games in general. I remember there were articles about him playing EverQuest back in the early 2000s, and he's always been fairly vocal on various message boards. Seems like awesome guy, besides being an amazing baseball player.

For a little while Curt was also a guest co-host on The Instance; the most popular World of Warcraft podcast on the net. He definitely knows his stuff.

Probably pick it up. Bobo the Seal works/worked? at 38 studios. Apparently he's the lead character artist on the MMORPG. Guy got me interested in 3d modeling.

ReaperXL7

Just to add, the cost so far seems to be (Level * 256) though I only have a small sample size for it.

Speaking of gold, the trainers are damned expensive. Detect Hidden one in the first city was over 15k gold for his services :|

Also, on Hard Mode and I'm getting green loot all over the place, though just one set piece (and it's a Sorcery set that is inferior to the
Selkie Veil
).

Just so you know Scy the devs already stated that set items will in general be inferior to purple rares when it comes to armor. The greatness of Set items will only be revealed when you have obtained the full set.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Curt, i can't even tell you how excited i am to dig into this game. My time with the demo was just such a pure experience of joy. Im also proud to be supporting you guys. You guys deserve the best response possible.

Keikaku

Knowing that you guys are playing this through Origin already . . . it's probably the only time that I want to give money to Origin.

Can't wait for Tuesday.

scy

Just so you know Scy the devs already stated that set items will in general be inferior to purple rares when it comes to armor. The greatness of Set items will only be revealed when you have obtained the full set.

Even with the bonus it's still pretty inferior :x I think it's more a case of the Veil being ridiculously good for the level range than a commentary on Set pieces vs Unique loot. That said, I since got a Finesse set piece that was really good (and the bonus on the set is +2 Finesse skills) so it's more an isolated incident.

Apeboy

I'm a little late on the combat discussion instigated by Rolston but here's my spin.

I wish avatar skills would be freed up to let the weapon perform the skill. As an example, the harpoon skill could be freed up by finding a looted weapon that has the capability built in. The only game I've played that has come close to this approach has been Castlevania LoS with Cross upgrades found along the way.

For all the discussion about combat styles there really hasn't been a true overhaul, it has distilled down to two basic categories, button mashing and auto combat. The latest so called innovation is QTEs which fits squarely in the button mashing category.

erragal

Even with the bonus it's still pretty inferior :x I think it's more a case of the Veil being ridiculously good for the level range than a commentary on Set pieces vs Unique loot. That said, I since got a Finesse set piece that was really good (and the bonus on the set is +2 Finesse skills) so it's more an isolated incident.

Just got the veil: It is ridiculous for how early you get it. Crazy powerful!

Combined with the positive demo impressions and the contagious excitement and passion from Schilling on his game, I'm buying this day 1.

Edit: I can't believe 38 Studios / Big Huge Games has over 400 people and that Reckoning has costed 60 million. Wow, impressive...what a commitment.

gehrig38

Posted this elsewhere, wanted to drop it here...

I'm about 5 hours in, just completed a quest that rewarded me with a home... Bad ass. But also, it opens up a side quest to 'improve' my home, which I COMPLETELY missed in the months to go final.

The stuff it offered was, well, hell I don't know but it was geekishly awesome is all I can say.

Better yet I know where this part of gameplay is leading, and that makes it even cooler.

Never EVER considered housing in a single player game a cool feature (which is the EXACT opposite opinion I have when it comes to MMO's) or a feature I would use, until this one.

Not to say others haven't done it or kicked butt doing it, but none I've dug deeply into yet, until now.

SPOILER!!!!!!! Just make sure when you do the quest (hard to miss piece of Gorhart content) you don't think it's a 1 and done deal.

Hannar

Combined with the positive demo impressions and the contagious excitement and passion from Schilling on his game, I'm buying this day 1.

Edit: I can't believe 38 Studios / Big Huge Games has over 400 people and that Reckoning has costed 60 million. Wow, impressive...what a commitment.

Remember, there are two studios here working on two different games.

Never EVER considered housing in a single player game a cool feature (which is the EXACT opposite opinion I have when it comes to MMO's) or a feature I would use, until this one.

Agreed. With all the changes and additions to WoW, I wish they would have added housing.

Khezu

I swear twitch has worked like shit for me for the last like week or so, like every channel has weird lag. All the other stream websites seem to work fine, so I'm not sure if its me or not.

Dresden

So I tried playing the demo again and it finally 'clicked' for me.

Will be getting this for the ps3. Is there a better option than that toys r us 45$ deal?

scy

Just to show off some loot:

0hmlf.png

The armor set is just a 2/3/4 equipment bonus one so there's no missing listed bonus for the full set. All of them came from the same dungeon run which was rather shocking. Not bad for basically level 2-3 loot.

Loxley

Agreed. With all the changes and additions to WoW, I wish they would have added housing.

I think Blizzard said a while back that the reason player housing would likely never be added to WoW was because they need a better reason to add it than just "players want it". If they did add it into the game, they would want it to serve a purpose beyond just some place to store stuff or show off trophies, rewards, etc; since it would likely take a decent amount of time and resources to implement.

Which isn't to surprising when you remember Blizzard has made a name for themselves for removing features from their games if they serve no purpose. I agree that it would be great if WoW had player housing, but I don't blame Blizzard for being hesitant about including it. But hey, for all we know Titan - whatever the hell it is - may have player housing.

RS4-

5 hours in as well and being sidetracked by all these quests lol. So the only nitpick I do have so far and it's just a minor one, traps are hard to see (I suppose it wouldn't be a problem if you have skills that detect them) but some do their best to combo you into another trap and kill you.

:(

Running long sword into hammer combo. I use the bow to kite some of the harder mobs.

ReaperXL7

Just to show off some loot:

The armor set is just a 2/3/4 equipment bonus one so there's no missing listed bonus for the full set. All of them came from the same dungeon run which was rather shocking. Not bad for basically level 2-3 loot.

Interesting, those legs are another piece of the Avenger destiny card armor. I had gotten the chest in the demo. I wonder if chests respawn so we can try for the whole set. The devs sqid previously though that uniques can only be obtained once, because they really wanted them to be unique so maybe farming the set from one dungeon wont be possible.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If there ends up being an OT2, we need to change the line to "What is GAF and where is this thread?" :lol

Kinda sucks having to wait for the official release. Argh, I really should've gotten it on Origin. Fuck having to game in the middle of the week. Same shit happened with Skyrim; it's a goddamn tease!

Damn you all for being able to play it early, lol. I already bought the game on Steam so I'm just gonna have to wait till Tuesday... arrrghhhhhh!!!!

krpiper

I assume the $45 price tag at Toys R Us an Newegg are to combat the exclusives that Amazon and GameStop are offering?

Dang it, I ordered it from Newegg, but its alright as I think I have a busy first part of the week so i doubt I would be able to just run to Toys R us (35 minute away)

sneaky77

When I pre-ordered last week from Amazon I got a $20 off at checkout for the title so I got it for $40, I am not sure if it's something advertised.

scy

Interesting, those legs are another piece of the Avenger destiny card armor. I had gotten the chest in the demo. I wonder if chests respawn so we can try for the whole set. The devs sqid previously though that uniques can only be obtained once, because they really wanted them to be unique so maybe farming the set from one dungeon wont be possible.

The problem with the set is getting the rest before they're no longer useful. I have a feeling that I'll find them soon and they'll be horribly outdated.

I am finding a lot of interesting loot though. Mostly Scepters, Staves, and Longswords, however. :/

x3sphere

Tried the demo but as soon as it goes in-game the screen goes completely black, only the HUD is visible.

Anyone get this? I have an HD7970.

Hannar

Tried the demo but as soon as it goes in-game the screen goes completely black, only the HUD is visible.

Anyone get this? I have an HD7970.

It's a bug with ATI cards that is fixed in the retail release. To fix it in the demo, turn off post processing in the initial options menu.

Wallach

Wait, it's released on Origin?

No, the Origin pre-load just isn't encrypted at all, there's only a release date activation check. A cracked .exe was released pretty quickly that dodges that. I don't know what would happen if you logged into your EA account to get your pre-order items, though.

Top Bottom