• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Alright I'm playing it on hard. This will be the first game I played on hard since Devil May Cry 1. Hopefully that better loot thing is true.

spirity

Number scores are dumb, imho.

I give it a solid "I will play this game." because, frankly, that's all that matters.

You might think they're dumb, but those scores are taken very seriously. A good score serves as an immediate hook, and drives interest and sales. Putting "thetrin plays this game, and that's all that matters" on the adverts and back cover won't have the same effect as "9.0 - IGN".

You might think they're dumb, but those scores are taken very seriously. A good score serves as an immediate hook, and drives interest and sales. Putting "thetrin plays this game, and that's all that matters" on the adverts and back cover won't have the same effect as "9.0 - IGN".

But they're not the end-all-be-all either. If I recall correctly, Borderlands sold a boatload and it scored in the low 80s.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to pick this up. I wanna support the new IP and the devs who seem really awesome, but between school and work time is limited. Plus Mass Effect 3 is only a month away. I wish it was releasing in the summer instead of right now.

spirity

But they're not the end-all-be-all either. If I recall correctly, Borderlands sold a boatload and it scored in the low 80s.

No, I agree, they're not. They're just very sweet to have, especially when you're not established and have a new IP (and plans for its development).

scy

So idle curiosity for anyone who has a retail copy, are Chakrams a non-edged weapon there as well? Seems a little weird, honestly, but ... curious. Kind of makes some of the Finesse/Sorcery build not as tightly knit as before but I'll probably still stick to the build, just with some disappointment.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Hey, if I were a household name in gaming, and everyone respected my opinion, that WOULD be enough.

It's a lot more helpful than an arbitrary score.

ReaperXL7

Not if it's a paid endorsement.

I agree with this, however I seriously doubt EA would pay for a high review when it comes to Reckoning. They might be publishing it but they don't own the IP so it would only benefit them so much, and say what you want but Curt does not seem like the kind of guy that would want the game to be a success based on false pretences.

He himself said that even though the game got a 9 he was happy, and that i just ment that they had room to imporve.

Sylonious

I agree with this, however I seriously doubt EA would pay for a high review when it comes to Reckoning. They might be publishing it but they don't own the IP so it would only benefit them so much, and say what you want but Curt does not seem like the kind of guy that would want the game to be a success based on false pretences.

He himself said that even though the game got a 9 he was happy, and that i just ment that they had room to imporve.

I was referring to the "household name in gaming" comment you had. I was thinking of those celebrity endorsements, but now that I think about it no household name in gaming would probably do something like that.

I'm not saying Schilling would do that.

I was a little worried about how that EA guy over the reviewers shoulder during the live stream. I just think it's hard to point out negatives with the company guy correcting you anytime you say something remotely negative.

I think the IGN review was fine. It might be a little high, but I'm expecting the reviews to hover around 85%. It was a little strange how they got to a 9.0 when graphics, sound were just 8.0 each.

That's my hope after 75 Million in loans combined with $35 Million out of Schillings pocket. I respect him for going after his passion and how he has conducted himself in general.

I'm really rooting for him to do well. I'm rooting for all of them really, especially Ken Rolston.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If Curt culls through the posts, I hope there's and LOD and FOV fix or at least some options to mess with settings in the PC version.

Keikaku

If Curt culls through the posts, I hope there's and LOD and FOV fix or at least some options to mess with settings in the PC version.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no real LOD fix coming. Apparently the LOD is baked into the engine and can't be changed.

However, if you go back a page or two, you will find a link to the Amalur forums where people suggest some graphics card settings that (supposedly) help somewhat with the issue.

It sounded like a fix (if they do one at all) would be extremely involved and would be a several GB download..

They'd have to change all of their asset archives to remove the pre-determined LOD settings and modify the rendering engine to handle LOD based on the user's settings or scale dynamically based on performance.

I don't think that is a reasonable request to make of the dev team. I'll jump for joy if they decide to take it on after the game ships, but i'm not going to be angry at them if they don't.

The simplest solution (but still crazy and hacky) would be to release a utility to unarchive (and archive) the .big asset files.. this would help enable modding and allow interested parties to create new and better textures, etc.

ReaperXL7

For the LOD issue, I refer you to these posts on the offical forums:

Offical response:

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?3511-LOD-distance-on-the-PC

Community Suggestions:

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/...ak-Reckoning-s-graphics-to-meet-our-standards!

And this one for the Camera:

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?2485-Your-feedback!-(particularly-camera)

Joe's already said the Camera won't be fixed at launch, but it's something they are taking seriously and working on things. They can't give an offical word on any timeline for the fix though.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no real LOD fix coming. Apparently the LOD is baked into the engine and can't be changed.

However, if you go back a page or two, you will find a link to the Amalur forums where people suggest some graphics card settings that (supposedly) help somewhat with the issue.

just according to Keikaku?
i'll wait till i hear an official statement..

edit: i guess it is what it is, it wasn't a dealbreaker for me, but i can somewhat see why it would be an issue for others.

Keikaku

just according to Keikaku?
i'll wait till i hear an official statement..

edit: i guess it is what it is, it wasn't a dealbreaker for me, but i can somewhat see why it would be an issue for others.
I never asked for this :(

I will be playing it on the PC too and I want a good LOD. However, the demo didn't really stand out to me in terms of LOD issues, so I don't mind.

Khezu

I don't want to be that guy, but a co-op colosseum would be cool for the sequel. Full on open world co-op would probably be more annoying then fun, and really hard to implement, but 4 play arena quests with large cache of loot for a prize would be interesting. Have a bunch of different arenas scattered across the world, with different quests and the like.

Kritz

Banned
This is a fairly minor (well, for a while) complaint, but does the combat in the demo feel kind of... stilted to anyone? Like, it may be my fault for directly seeing comparisons to Fable 2's combat, but it feels as if something's just not right.

I'm not really in the mood to fully articulate what feels wrong, but I think it's the transitions between moves. Blocking is slow and awkward, there's a noticeable delay between performing a roll and doing any other move, and at points I feel like I want to do things faster than the game will allow me to.

It's probably a deliberate decision. Penalty to actions, or somthing. But I feel that excuse doesn't actually make it more fun to play.

And, for reference, I used a keyboard and mouse for this. I'll try using my 360 pad when the game releases, see if it's any better.

(there's probably an entire argument to be had about having deliberate, heavy combat in a game without having an animation system to support it like in Demon's Souls. But I have no intention of having that conversation at the moment.)

Khezu

I'm not really in the mood to fully articulate what feels wrong, but I think it's the transitions between moves. Blocking is slow and awkward, there's a noticeable delay between performing a roll and doing any other move, and at points I feel like I want to do things faster than the game will allow me to.

Uh, haven't noticed this at all.

If you do the final hit of any weapon chain, you can't roll or block cancel out of it, maybe that's it?

Wallach

This is a fairly minor (well, for a while) complaint, but does the combat in the demo feel kind of... stilted to anyone? Like, it may be my fault for directly seeing comparisons to Fable 2's combat, but it feels as if something's just not right.

It's probably a deliberate decision. Penalty to actions, or somthing. But I feel that excuse doesn't actually make it more fun to play.

And, for reference, I used a keyboard and mouse for this. I'll try using my 360 pad when the game releases, see if it's any better.

(there's probably an entire argument to be had about having deliberate, heavy combat in a game without having an animation system to support it like in Demon's Souls. But I have no intention of having that conversation at the moment.)

I'm pretty certain it's intentional; there is an order of what things can and cannot cancel into each other. For example you can instantly dodge out of certain things and not others, but those things that you can't dodge out of (ex. 3-hit staff combo recovery) you can cancel into a spell. It works pretty well once you explore your weapon combos and know what works.

Not sure what you mean about blocking. I don't know what the start-up is but it feels like it is only a handful of frames.

gehrig38

About 5 hours in, semi update as to not spoil but I will likely hold off playing more for fear of ruining stuff for anyone playing:)

Ok this full finesse thing could be a problem for me, as I found some purple chakrams and they are my favorite weapon, however I am spec'd now to be a ninja bad mofo with daggers, Faeblades and a bow.....

I was honestly thinking about restarting on hard mode with everyone talking about difficulty, until my last semi boss fight that's stumping me rather nicely....

I hate spiders btw...

One thing I know I am not doing is exploiting my strengths, as I got into an early pattern with my abilities and jumping out of that has proven harder for me than it used to.

Using the shadow bolt and following it up with the shadow dagger burst is something I am not doing enough of, while trap laying and luring mobs in is just awesome.

I knew about it, but it was still INSANE to see, the mobs with some AI, AVOIDING!!! my traps when they could...

FWIW Reckoning mode is something to employ strategically I think, as opposed to firing it off the first chance you get in a harder than average fight.

What it has done is made me TRY to get through some tough fights WITHOUT going into Reck mode, saving it for what I know is an upcoming bigger battle, which something I hadn't thought of doing before.

Found a piece of gold gear :) Very cool, and it's for finesse guys.

Having a riot though, which is just so damn cool to see and do after all these years.

Looking forward to hearing your guys input in 2 days....

Wallach

Why wait, just flick that switch and let us PC guys play baby. You know you want to.

Also show us your phat loot, I want to see those chakram!

ASTROID2

Game looks awesome cant wait to play it. It's nice to see a game of this stye that has colorful environments instead of jest grey.

demolitio

Thank you for not making feel so bad about my hatred of spiders, Curt...lol. Game or not, I hate facing them.

I always try to start on hard but sometimes get worried I'll get stuck on a boss, but the extra playtime is worth it even after 50 attempts on one section.

ReaperXL7

Damn watching that ustream, the combat looks absolutely SICK!!

Trying not to spoil myself, but becoming very tempted to watch some of these streams. :(

I also think I might end up playing alittle gimped, because in the demo for some reason I refuse to put a shirt on my character....

Syrionus

Neo Member
Are you saying this game cost 110mil total to make and advertise for? If so whoa

I am almost positive that is for the MMO alone. BHG is not even in RI. It's in MD. Two different budgets. Then again, I could be wrong.

Alright I'm playing it on hard. This will be the first game I played on hard since Devil May Cry 1. Hopefully that better loot thing is true.

Can we get some type of explaination to this? Does it give you better loot on hard, or increase the chances of a drop or what? If so, can we get a confirmation on this?

I also think I might end up playing alittle gimped, because in the demo for some reason I refuse to put a shirt on my character....

Muscle FX or Mammarie Pillows?

CTE

Metacritic has an 8 up from OXM in their reviews for this in the 360 section. Didn't see it mentioned yet. So I am mentioning it. Can't read the full review however.

Here's the only quote

"[A] few soft spots are what keep Kingdoms of Amalur from being truly dazzling. It's a great RPG - one that gives you an almost Bethesda level of freedom - and it has so much content that you could be playing the game for a couple of months. [Mar 2012, p.72] "

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning

Edit- Nevermind. Didn't see the review thread for this game until now. Forget my post. Thought all reviews were contained in here.

ReaperXL7

Muscle FX or Mammarie Pillows?

Da mussles! the Varani even a have a hair style thats perfect for a Conan type character. characters in this are chiseled.

Metacritic has an 8 up from OXM in their reviews for this in the 360 section. Didn't see it mentioned yet. So I am mentioning it. Can't read the full review however.

Here's the only quote "[A] few soft spots are what keep Kingdoms of Amalur from being truly dazzling. It's a great RPG - one that gives you an almost Bethesda level of freedom - and it has so much content that you could be playing the game for a couple of months.

[Mar 2012, p.72] " http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning Edit- Nevermind. Didn't see the review thread for this game until now. Forget my post. Thought all reviews were contained in here.

Adding reviews to the OT but only the ones I can actually link to. I'm sure tons will be going up on monday.

goober

Alright screw being a pansy assed ranged damage dealer. Greatsword all the way, can you apply poisons to it?
I believe you can, in the demo I was able to steal a Grsatsword with a poison attribute. There was also a Hammer or something with frost damage.

ReaperXL7

Alright screw being a pansy assed ranged damage dealer. Greatsword all the way, can you apply poisons to it?

You can apply effects to any weapon under specific conditions. If the weapon has a socket you apply a gem with Sagecraft (you can also create gems with the right shards), you can also apply them with blacksmithing as I made a fire bow in the demo, but i'm not entirely sure which materials grants effect stats. You can also create weapons with sockets at higher BS levels. So there is alot you can do to customize weapons and armor with high enough skills in BS and SC.

Top Bottom