• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Yeah, if anyone can confirm the more/better loot thing if played on hard mode that'd be great. RPG's tend to be brain dead easy on normal mode with overly inflated 'not worth it' hard modes. If Amalur busts out a well designed hard mode that's fair with incentives, this game is fucking bought.

syllogism

Has it been confirmed that playing on Hard yields better loot and XP?
More XP seems unlikely, but during ign live stream some developer guy (?) suggested that you get better loot on hard, though we didn't hear his exact words due to him being off camera

e: oh beaten ages ago

Klyka

Banned
Dear Curt Schilling,

Your game is awesome and I love playing it!
Thank you for getting this made!

Love,

a satisfied customer

squall23

So has anybody figured out the advantages and disadvantages of being a Universalist yet? I remember reading the description and stats from the demo and I didn't fully understand it.

My PC is dead so I was thinking about just playing this on xbox360.

Should I bother waiting for my PC to get fixed to play that version?

I remember reading that you cant change the LOD detail and stuff so I guess the only advantage is the frame rate?

Wallach

My PC is dead so I was thinking about just playing this on xbox360.

Should I bother waiting for my PC to get fixed to play that version?

I remember reading that you cant change the LOD detail and stuff so I guess the only advantage is the frame rate?

Yeah, pretty much just framerate/IQ and load times really.

Syrionus

Neo Member
So has anybody figured out the advantages and disadvantages of being a Universalist yet? I remember reading the description and stats from the demo and I didn't fully understand it.

The way I understand it, aside from the regular bonuses to damage and such, you unlock all of the weapon masteries and get +3 to all of your skills. I think the weapon masteries are the combos you can do after certain actions, i.e. block, parry, etc. The skills are Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Detect Hidden, etc.

Also, going Universalist allows you to wear every type of armor in the game; Plate, Leather and Cloth.

If I misinterpreted any of the above information, you have my permission to correct me.

Klyka

Banned
Played the PC version for an hour this morning before work.
Pop-in + LOD/draw distance seems to be 99% like the demo!

Sorry guys :(

Load times on my SSD: The demo had > 1second, retail has > 3seconds because of the bigger world I guess. Still,super fast and not even close to the horrible console loading times.

Wallach

Played the PC version for an hour this morning before work.
Pop-in + LOD/draw distance seems to be 99% like the demo!

Sorry guys :(

Load times on my SSD: The demo had > 1second, retail has > 3seconds because of the bigger world I guess. Still,super fast and not even close to the horrible console loading times.

How'd you manage to get around the release date activation check...?

Klyka

Banned
How'd you manage to get around the release date activation check...?

Origin pre-loads the entire game without any encryption or missing files.
It's pretty easy from there. I don't understand why I can buy a game,download a game and then have to wait for an arbitrary point in time to use what I already have right there on my HD.

Syrionus

Neo Member
Origin pre-loads the entire game without any encryption or missing files.
It's pretty easy from there. I don't understand why I can buy a game,download a game and then have to wait for an arbitrary point in time to use what I already have right there on my HD.

Wait, so you can play this right now, if you download it from Origin? Kind of a big oversight on EA's part isn't it?

Lombaszko

Played the 360 demo last night and while I found the combat just as much fun as everyone has been saying, the story was interesting and I felt a sense that the lore of the world is extremely well developed. I was more impressed with that than the gameplay.
I usually play action RPGs as a warrior class but I had a blast sneaking around and pick pocketing I'll probably go finesse.
I won't be able to sit down and really play till next weekend though, bummer!

I was a little worried about how that EA guy over the reviewers shoulder during the live stream. I just think it's hard to point out negatives with the company guy correcting you anytime you say something remotely negative.
To his credit, the IGN guy playing the game didn't really seem to hold back on criticisms while playing. It actually seemed like he forgot the EA dude was sitting there right next to him at times. I remember a few "annoying enemy" and "convoluted menu" comments in there. And to Daemon's credit, he even asked the viewer's question "what DIDN'T you like about the game", which the guy playing answered fairly straightforwardly.

It was a lot better than those two hosting David Jaffe right afterwards. They seemed so eager to please him...it was a little awkward to watch. The guy playing even said something like "don't worry, we'll go easy on it" after talking about glitches and bugs affecting the review, to which I think disturbed Jaffe more than anything.

Klyka

Banned
Not sure if I am allowed to post it here openly, but if anyone wants to play their properly paid for, pre-loaded Origin copy (i can only guarantee 100% success with that, other versions might differ) then send me a PM!

scy

Alright screw being a pansy assed ranged damage dealer. Greatsword all the way, can you apply poisons to it?

Hammer, Chakram, Staff, and Scepter are the weapons that Envenomed Edge doesn't work with.

...playing early might be be worth switching from Steam ... :|

erragal

Hammer, Chakram, Staff, and Scepter are the weapons that Envenomed Edge doesn't work with.

...playing early might be be worth switching from Steam ... :|

Already done for both myself and my buddy. The anticipation is just too much and I actually have all day to play. Games need to just release on the weekends already!

AEREC

Can anyone comment on the save system?

Is it save anywhere at anytime (even during combat)?

or

Is it save anywhere while not in combat?

Klyka

Banned
Can anyone comment on the save system?

Is it save anywhere at anytime (even during combat)?

or

Is it save anywhere while not in combat?

I know I could save anywhere and quicksave anywhere but I have not tried it during combat yet.
I would actually say "No" to save in combat, because it just sounds weird to load the game in the middle of a swing or something.

AEREC

I know I could save anywhere and quicksave anywhere but I have not tried it during combat yet.
I would actually say "No" to save in combat, because it just sounds weird to load the game in the middle of a swing or something.

Im hoping it doesnt allow you to save in combat...I already dont like games where you can save anywhere, but I am able to get over it if the game is good (ie Skyrim).

chifanpoe

Wait, so you can play this right now, if you download it from Origin? Kind of a big oversight on EA's part isn't it?

It is kind of ironic that people playing the 360 build and now the PC build early both coinside with the same days the torents of the game hit...

Not too shocking that we have not magicly heard of people playing the PS3 build early.

Klyka

Banned
It is kind of ironic that people playing the 360 build and now the PC build early both coinside with the same days the torents of the game hit...

Not too shocking that we have not magicly heard of people playing the PS3 build early.

You don't need the torrent version to use it's crack.
Origin works just fine.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Read a feature on this game in today's NYT and I just realized it's the RPG that Big Huge Games started developing a million years ago. Rise of Nations is still in my all-time Top 5. Play it to this day.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So, no steam preload for this (or The Darkness II)? Nuts.

Seriously? Well this really fucking sucks! With my shitty Internet I won't be able to play it until at least a day after release, then, with no pre-load.

I'm gonna see about cancelling my Steam order then, something I've never done...

Seriously? Well this really fucking sucks! With my shitty Internet I won't be able to play it until at least a day after release, then, with no pre-load.

I'm gonna see about cancelling my Steam order then, something I've never done...

It's 9 dollars less on Amazon if you want (if you're in the U.S., I dunno about non US) and you also get good bonus items that aren't on steam version

scy

with many already getting the game it might be a good idea that I go into the darkness, won't be getting my copy till tuesday. :(

I'm sorry but the allure is too strong. Or something like that.

Then again, my Origin copy won't even install right so this has been an interesting morning anyway :x

ReaperXL7

I'm sorry but the allure is too strong. Or something like that.

Then again, my Origin copy won't even install right so this has been an interesting morning anyway :x

lol no big deal, as long as people keep quiet about spoilers i'm good i skipped all the lore and dialog stuff in the demo to stay fresh.

Would not mind some unique armor/weapon shots though.

No kidding man. No midnight release here so I'll be waiting along with ya.

Oh and a buddy of mine just got married and is now in a bit of a financial rut, so I bought him a copy. Feels good man.

Klyka

Banned
lol no big deal, as long as people keep quiet about spoilers i'm good i skipped all the lore and dialog stuff in the demo to stay fresh.

I'll be sure to post screens tonight if I find anything nice!

fuuian

Neo Member
I told a friend of mine in Australia about the game and he said he didn't know anything about it. After about 5 minutes and a few links, he had it pre-ordered from Amazon!

Tuesday needs to get here, fast.

scy

I'll try on the latter for you. I mainly want to do some testing of things but after a pretty terrible week, I think I may just actually take the time to play the game now and do my mechanics work later.

erragal

Customization options aren't that bad really. Even if it's all presets and there isn't discrete control they have a nice variety of options that all look nice. Particularly the beard/stubble options are above the curve which is what matters to me! :)

ElyrionX

I'll try on the latter for you. I mainly want to do some testing of things but after a pretty terrible week, I think I may just actually take the time to play the game now and do my mechanics work later.

Any idea if any of the abilities have changed from the demo? I'm particularly interested in seeing whether Envenomed Edge got a boost.

scy

Any idea if any of the abilities have changed from the demo? I'm particularly interested in seeing whether Envenomed Edge got a boost.

That is the first thing I'm going to check, lol. I saw a lot of things in the demo for adding Poison damage (Alchemy potion, Sagecrafting, Poison random loot) that makes me question Envenomed Edge's usefulness. Especially since, for my build, one of my weapons does not benefit from it (Chakrams).

Top Bottom