• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Hawk269

Curt,

I know you are playing the PC version and from what I hear from some, there is a serious bug that is not fixed from the Demo. In the PC Demo if you have "V-Sync" enabled, load times are horrid, for me in the demo at times it was 3-5 minutes and sometimes longer and that is with an SSD for load times. Turning V-Sync off, my load times were less than 10seconds or faster.

A few players are saying that the Vsync issues still exists, while others are saying it working for them. I know that I was very vocal about the LOD/Pop-in issue, but if this V-Synch issue is in the retail release that I already paid for via Steam I am going to be EXTREMLY pissed as I cant stand screen tearing and I wont be able to play it with tearing.

PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS WAS FIXED.

Thanks!

Hawk, remember that this is with a changed .exe

The proper retail one might not have the bug.

It probably does..

Deus Ex: Human Revolution suffered from the same problem.. loading speed was tied to the frame rate until the developer fixed it in a patch for the PC

popokarimu

Neo Member
Curt,

I know you are playing the PC version and from what I hear from some, there is a serious bug that is not fixed from the Demo. In the PC Demo if you have "V-Sync" enabled, load times are horrid, for me in the demo at times it was 3-5 minutes and sometimes longer and that is with an SSD for load times. Turning V-Sync off, my load times were less than 10seconds or faster.

A few players are saying that the Vsync issues still exists, while others are saying it working for them. I know that I was very vocal about the LOD/Pop-in issue, but if this V-Synch issue is in the retail release that I already paid for via Steam I am going to be EXTREMLY pissed as I cant stand screen tearing and I wont be able to play it with tearing.

Thanks!

I had this problem with the demo too. Forcing V-Sync with D3DOverrider got rid of the tearing and my load times were fine. Hopefully it's fixed in the retail version but if not that might work for you in the meantime.

erragal

Curt,

Thanks!

V-sync on approx 40 seconds to load game, 9 seconds to fast travel to a new region. ATI 5770 OC'd on an X4 OC'd. Probably an issue with some specific configurations as opposed to a game problem. EDIT: Not on an SSD either.

Amir0x

Banned
some pics for you guys of my lvl 6 dude after 4 hours of play

XQCCa.jpg

Cw8oD.jpg

bDhDr.jpg

XIrzY.jpg

ew at level six you're still looking like you are with the gear you come out of the tutorial dungeon with, sans the weapons.

More outward armor variety plz

Hawk269

V-sync on approx 40 seconds to load game, 9 seconds to fast travel to a new region. ATI 5770 OC'd on an X4 OC'd. Probably an issue with some specific configurations as opposed to a game problem. EDIT: Not on an SSD either.

In the demo, going into building and such was almost instant, the screen would go black and boom I was in the house, building or whatever on my SSD with V-Sync disabled. With V-Sync on, I was looking at 2-3 minutes just to go into a building.

I pray that it works fine for me or I am done with them. I think what would piss me off more than anything is that "they know" it is a bug and if they did not fix it tells me that dont give a rats ass about PC gamers. Again, I will give the benefit of the doubt because of the way Curt and others have been so commited and posts are so encouraging. I know it sounds harsh, but the fact that there are no advanced graphics setting for PC gamers, the LOD/Pop In issue and the V-Sync issue scares me due to the fact that the the game they have invested in the most and going forward will be the MMO which is PC only. If they short change PC gamers with Reckoning, will we see the same with the MMO? I am hoping not and I will be the first one in this thread to post about teh v-sync issue as soon as my Steam version unlocks and appologize for my harsh wording...but I am a passionate gamer, I reward hard working developers and head of companies that post in message boards I frequent. Hell, that is why I decided to get the game, Curt's posts and his dedication pushed me over the edge, even know the LOD issues is not being fixed.

ElyrionX

I have Blink right now and it's ... different? I'll check later but it feels like it's the exact same speed as rolling. That is, it fires just as fast, lasts just as long, and has the same time before you can move/evade again. It does have the benefit of letting you go right through enemies, however.

I'm actually working towards Poison Blink right now to see what it looks like so I'll get back to you when I get to it.

On the contrary, it's getting harder. Enemy HP scales faster than my damage is and I've yet to get into a (non-backtracking) area with non-yellow enemies. In fact, the area I'm at right now has a bunch of orange+ cons littered about (the aforementioned Threshes, Trolls). Even some regular enemies can decimate me (Jottuns come to mind) and take a lot of punishment; Jottuns, for instance, do about 30% of my HP at ~20% Physical Resistance and ~120 Armor while they have around 600-ish HP vs my ~30 damage per swing.

Edit: Level 10 with the above linked Faeblades, 9 Physical/9 Fire/18 over 3 Burning Damage Chakrams (36 converted Damage listed in top-right). Build is basically maxed Faeblade and Chakram passive with 6/6 Envenomed Edge and 3/5 Shadow Flare. EE is doing ~13 damage per second when it procs due to my +6% Poison Damage from my start deity choice and Shadow Flare is my bread and butter "big guy" killer. The bleeding damage it causes also makes Physical attacks do +33% damage so it's basically a staple for me. Plus, big enemies eat multiple hits from it so it can deal 200-ish in a single shot. I left the starter area (everything we could get to in the demo) at Level 8.5 or so and everything was still at least yellow to me; in fact, at 10 and my revisits, some of the stuff still is yellow.

I'd like to shake the hand of whomever made the executive decision of non-regening HP. That's the majority of the "difficulty" right there. Being forced into the Healing spell or potions makes fights a lot more hectic. Maybe if I kept myself stocked with potions at all times I'd find it easier but I just use what I find so I've run into situations where I'm playing defensively so I don't die with my <30% HP and zero potions :x

Fantastic stuff scy.

Any other abilities you notice have changed from the demo?

You are playing on Hard right? Is the xp higher or loot better?

ReaperXL7

Damn those faeblades are sick. I did not really like them much in the demo but I can easily see the appeal. Can't wait to see how some of the purple great swords look. Really dig the art direction from much of what I have seen.

Hawk269

whatever happened to the Steam pre-load the devs said would happen?

Not sure. Pretty pissed if there is no pre-load. I am off on Mon & Tuesday, I normally play SWTOR late at night, but Mon at midnight is when they take the servers down for maint, so timing would be perfect for me and I could play reckoning, but with no pre-load that pretty much screws that idea.

I hope we can begin pre-load sometime on Monday.

graywolf323

Not sure. Pretty pissed if there is no pre-load. I am off on Mon & Tuesday, I normally play SWTOR late at night, but Mon at midnight is when they take the servers down for maint, so timing would be perfect for me and I could play reckoning, but with no pre-load that pretty much screws that idea.

I hope we can begin pre-load sometime on Monday.

just found this on the official boards

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/...le-Now-on-Steam!&p=65299&viewfull=1#post65299

so hopefully pre-load will be live tomorrow afternoon

scy

While I still find some fights pretty tricky (Though I -just- got into my Guardian Destiny with some serious defensive gear, so we'll see how the next region goes) you can eliminate the non-regening HP pretty easily by socketing a health regen gem.

True, but I like the added difficulty from unhealed HP. That and I've managed to not really have too many drops with sockets. What region are you talking about? The first two are pretty simple but the ones that add new enemies are a little rougher. Most my fights are just throwing Shadow Flare at things now, though; it deals so much damage that it's ridiculous, especially with the +33% damage that it causes.

Mark of flame is such crazy damage early in the game though that even on hard I've shredded most things I fight that aren't orange; orange troll was a scary fight though and I might need to skip some quests to ensure a harder difficulty curve for me. Or stop missing lorestones so I'm not backtracking through areas five times.

As I found out via the loading screens, Panic status is caused by Burning Damage. This is relevant since Dread (Finess/Sorcery destiny perk) gives me auto crits vs Panic. Guess I'm going Mark of Flame now!

As for lorestones, I've found at least one that REQUIRES Detect Hidden > Hidden Doors; it's in the area with
the Grave Thresh
. The bonus for that set of lorestones is +6% Faeblade damage so I doubt you'll miss the bonus but kind of sucks that there's a skill requirement for it essentially. Haven't seen any others but I have a few new dungeons to go through.

I will say this though, I'm really enjoying the fact that a lot of the Hidden Door areas look the part. That is, the area behind it is filled with cobwebs or debris or something to make it stand out as an area that has been hidden away for a long time.

Fantastic stuff scy.

Any other abilities you notice have changed from the demo?

You are playing on Hard right? Is the xp higher or loot better?

Yeah, Hard mode. Not sure on the EXP but as I said there, I'm doing my best to Reckoning finish big enemies for massive amounts of EXP (2.5k-5k). As far as loot is concerned however, I'm getting inundated with drops. I have Uniques and Set pieces everywhere and I get more green loot than common. Unfortunately, it's all non-Leather or non-Faeblade/Chakrams :/

If there's anything in particular you want me to check out, I'll try to do it for you.

Edit: Oh, the big one that caught my eye is Lunge's damage went way up. Still not sure if it's worth it though... And just noticed that the Arcane Weapon skills all have reduced mana costs for Scepters attached to them.

ew at level six you're still looking like you are with the gear you come out of the tutorial dungeon with, sans the weapons.

More outward armor variety plz

I've seen about 4 different Robe models and a few Might sets that look different. Leather doesn't really stand out from what I've seen yet but I've also had the same chestpiece on for like 5 hours :/

ReaperXL7

I actually just thought of something that I'm interested in knowing if anyone is messing with crafting at all. I'm wondering if its possible to deconstruct unique purples, or gold set pieces and then reconstruct them. With better stats. I'm assuming not but I'm also not sure how you get new options in the crafting menu. Wether its through the skill upgrades or through recipes.

Irnbru

bjZxE.png

Lvl11 Champ build
Me gusta
blacksmithing is incredible! >:D
I love the fact you can give a name to the stuff you make. Incredible decision.

I actually just thought of something that I'm interested in knowing if anyone is messing with crafting at all. I'm wondering if its possible to deconstruct unique purples, or gold set pieces and then reconstruct them. With better stats. I'm assuming not but I'm also not sure how you get new options in the crafting menu. Wether its through the skill upgrades or through recipes.

In the demo I couldn't salvage the purple Faeblades you get, or some blue Chaussessessesss I found.

Irnbru

In the demo I couldn't salvage the purple Faeblades you get, or some blue Chaussessessesss I found.

You have to level up blacksmiting to be able to breakdown stuff, I think you can only break down up to blues, but there is a mastercrafting milestone at the end, dunno what it does

scy

Me gusta
blacksmithing is incredible! >:D
I love the fact you can give a name to the stuff you make. Incredible decision.

The unsung hero of Blacksmithing is the cheaper repair option. Repairing all my equipment is like 20k gold :|

I went Alchemy and just realized that I went Alchemy. I haven't actually used any of it! Damn.

suikoden352

Neo Member
I'm really looking forward to playing this once Tuesday rolls around and I can pick up my copy from Gamestop. I wish there was a midnight release going on for this here where I live, but it is what it is. From watching some streams for this, looks like I might as well go hard mode, though I didn't have any real complaints to be had with normal. I do love sweet loot quite a bit though. i'll figure it all out come Tuesday I guess. first post here on Neogaf so uhh hey everyone :)

Zeth

I love the shit out of this game. No idea what kind of build I'll start with, but I know for sure I'll end up playing at least 3 different characters. Bring on Tuesday.

Quick question: Is the buggy demo relegated to just one platform?

I downloaded it for PS3 and it was a mess, missing half the sound assets with invisible textures. Might I have better luck with the 360 demo?

Keikaku

I've got some builds planned out for my 1st playthrough as a Universalist. After that comes my pure build playthroughs. This damned game has it's hooks into me and it's not even out.

DAMN YOU 38 STUDIOS! DAMN YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

ReaperXL7

Yeah I have a few planned out for my might finesse build, but I'm not looking forward to seeing how much I get my ass kicked because I don,t put a shirt on my character. Think I shall name him Crom, and he will bring the slaughter of many.

I broke down and got an origin copy too.. damn you all.

I think I'm at 6 hours now and I've barely done anything.. probably because I'm running around harvesting every plant I see and going into every cavern that isn't blocked off. After tomorrow I'm off for the rest of the week.. so I expect to get some serious playtime in..

Unfortunately I'm not finding much in the way of awesome leather armor either.. also playing on Hard.

Hawk269

I broke down and got an origin copy too.. damn you all.

I think I'm at 6 hours now and I've barely done anything.. probably because I'm running around harvesting every plant I see and going into every cavern that isn't blocked off. After tomorrow I'm off for the rest of the week.. so I expect to get some serious playtime in..

Unfortunately I'm not finding much in the way of awesome leather armor either.. also playing on Hard.

How has the challenge been on hard?

Would you mind testing to see if you gain more Exp in hard than normal? How about loot drops between hard/normal?

Thanks if you can!

Irnbru

Nevermind! You can breakdown anything with just the rare milestone, woo!
Wait no, that's weird, only dlc stuff is considered rare even though its purple. Strange, must be a bug.

How has the challenge been on hard?

Would you mind testing to see if you gain more Exp in hard than normal? How about loot drops between hard/normal?

Thanks if you can!

I've definitely been getting a lot of loot.. more than I did in the demo, anyway.

As for exp, I honestly haven't been keeping track at all.. I'm just enjoying killing things.

On hard, creatures like sprites seem to use a lot more magic and of course it hurts more.. I find myself needing potions more often than I'd like.. but it could just be that I'm not good at playing yet.

Aselith

Are they doing a preload at all on Steam? The game shows as installed with 18megs of data and it still won't let me download the rest. Game comes out tomorrow, fellas. LET ME DOWNLOAD :(

Hawk269

Are they doing a preload at all on Steam? The game shows as installed with 18megs of data and it still won't let me download the rest. Game comes out tomorrow, fellas. LET ME DOWNLOAD :(

As of right now, we are not sure. On the official forums someone from the dev team or a community person said they are looking into it (as of 2/5/12) and it is hoped that we begin pre-load on Monday, but nothing has been updated yet. I am hoping for a pre-load so I can begin playing at 12:01am, Tuesday morning like many others that will be doing the same.

Aselith

As of right now, we are not sure. On the official forums someone from the dev team or a community person said they are looking into it (as of 2/5/12) and it is hoped that we begin pre-load on Monday, but nothing has been updated yet. I am hoping for a pre-load so I can begin playing at 12:01am, Tuesday morning like many others that will be doing the same.

Awesome! I'm on satellite and I have limited hours where I can download unlimited so I guess I'll see you next week or so! What a delightful treat I got for preordering.

Keikaku

Yeah I have a few planned out for my might finesse build, but I'm not looking forward to seeing how much I get my ass kicked because I don,t put a shirt on my character. Think I shall name him Crom, and he will bring the slaughter of many.
I really hope you're being literal there! I have a build based around that!

After my first few playthroughs, I'm going to attempt some of the more interesting ways that I've thought of to play the game:
  • Rogue Archer- Bow only, no other weapons allowed, no spells either unless it's absolutely necessary. Heavy usage of stealth, smoke bombs and a huge reliance on elemental weapon damage and potions methinks.
  • The Conan - No torso armor allowed, sword/greatsword only, no magic, pure might. Awwwwww yeah!
  • The Hitman - Efficiency build! This will probably be the last build I try but I'll be aiming to complete the game with the lowest level possible. This won't be optimized for speed but only to see how low level I can be to complete the game.
  • The Beggar - Only basic armor and weapons, nothing above common, preferably nothing above starting armor but I don't know how viable that would be. No spells, minimal offensive skills.

ReaperXL7

I really hope you're being literal there! I have a build based around that!

After my first few playthroughs, I'm going to attempt some of the more interesting ways that I've thought of to play the game:
  • Rogue Archer- Bow only, no other weapons allowed, no spells either unless it's absolutely necessary. Heavy usage of stealth, smoke bombs and a huge reliance on elemental weapon damage and potions methinks.
  • The Conan - No torso armor allowed, sword/greatsword only, no magic, pure might. Awwwwww yeah!
  • The Hitman - Efficiency build! This will probably be the last build I try but I'll be aiming to complete the game with the lowest level possible. This won't be optimized for speed but only to see how low level I can be to complete the game.
  • The Beggar - Only basic armor and weapons, nothing above common, preferably nothing above starting armor but I don't know how viable that would be. No spells, minimal offensive skills.

Oh I'm serious I had a varani might finesse character in the demo that I just could not bring myself to put torso armor on looked too badass without it. Leathe lower armor iron boots and gauntlets, great sword main/ bow secondary. Still playing with the abilities though so not 100% on that part though.

Sorry if this has been answered, I searched and didnt find anything but I'm kinda dumb.

Anyway, totally on the fence with this game for one reason and one reason only... the first combo you get as a daggers rogue kicks in this slow mo crap between hits that drives me nuts. I would literally rather miss than have slow mo aid me.

Is this in the final game? Can it be turned off? I really want to support this game but I'm fickle enough that the slow mo will drive me insane.... and daggers rogue is my class of choice.

Top Bottom