• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Do I love my brother with his gaming elite connections? Yes I do!

I got the game early yesterday so I have been playing 10 hours non-stop on a very cold Sunday. This is going to be a tiny review of the Xbox 360 version and if you have any questions please feel free to ask them.

Starting from the Well of Souls, you will immediately notice some slight changes in comparison with the demo, especially the smoother framerate and landscape glitches that occured which are not present any longer.
We all know the first hour of the game beyond that so that is the part that I am going to skip.

I have done a myriad of quests in that 10 hours marathon and I can honestly say that, despite 30% of the quests being fetch and kill quests, they are a lot of fun because of the combat system.
Not one encounter is the same and this makes doing quests that much better and there is never oné time where I said ''Here we go again *sigh*''

The one thing that I actually enjoyed the most are the encounters of new enemies. The moment you start to feel bored when another wolf, bear or spider comes up they throw in another new enemy with a whole new range of attacks that you need to memorize. This keeps the combat fresh and exciting. There was this one time where I saw a chest just standing there against a massive wall. My gaming instincts told me that this is to easy but I pressed on. I opened the chest and.... nothing happened. Until I walked back and I saw 3 huge giants with electric warhammers running towards me. This was a definite oh shit moment but I managed to deal with them.

I don't know what else I can write about because if I keep at it I might need two posts. One last thing that I do have to say are the graphics. While not spectacular in technical point of view, the art design just nails it. Every new region you traverse has a lot of amazing new design feats. Whether it's a castle or ruin, the game itself never ceases to amaze me and I only explored like 20% of the entire world.

Questions? Go at it. I will answer everything that is not spoiler related.

Irnbru

Mother of god. Blacksmithing can temporally break the game if you know what you're doing. I've got a greatsword critting for 400 right now, Im level 13. Jesus. And this is on the first hit.

-Mikey-

Since word is out on loot drops on hard what do we know about experience? Hoping for some sort of bonus if I want to play on hard.

Keikaku

Since word is out on loot drops on hard what do we know about experience? Hoping for some sort of bonus if I want to play on hard.
Someone on the last page did a test and said that he didn't see an experience difference between the hard and normal difficulties.

Considering that the level cap doesn't change between difficulties, it makes sense.

Someone on the last page did a test and said that he didn't see an experience difference between the hard and normal difficulties.

Considering that the level cap doesn't change between difficulties, it makes sense.

That is correct.

Because it would make no sense in upping the experience when playing on hard. That would ruin the overall experience if you would reach the level cap 60% in the game, while on normal it is reached at 80% (just an example)

Sorry if this has been answered, I searched and didnt find anything but I'm kinda dumb.

Anyway, totally on the fence with this game for one reason and one reason only... the first combo you get as a daggers rogue kicks in this slow mo crap between hits that drives me nuts. I would literally rather miss than have slow mo aid me.

Is this in the final game? Can it be turned off? I really want to support this game but I'm fickle enough that the slow mo will drive me insane.... and daggers rogue is my class of choice.

For a new page.

Is there a PS3/X360 comparison for this game anywhere? I really liked the demo, but I'd like to know if there's a (significant) difference between the 2 versions.

Is there a PS3/X360 comparison for this game anywhere? I really liked the demo, but I'd like to know if there's a (significant) difference between the 2 versions.

I would not know.

I am playing the Xbox 360 version but if I compare it to the PS3 demo version the PS3 version is the winner when it comes down to sharper textures, but the framerate went up and down for me. The 360 version has a very steady framerate despite the fact that it crashed twice on me when accepting a quest. I'm glad the autosave is doing its job or else I would have had needed to repeat a half an hour again.

glaurung

No comparison yet and if I were you, I would not take the demo screenshot comparison pages too seriously. The demo was not indicative of the final product.

This.

I was playing the demo, level 3, and I had daggers that stole health, added armor, and did fire damage.

The only reason why I invested a couple of points in Blacksmithing is because of the fact that it makes repair kits more viable.
Considering how much gold it costs to repair a single purple armor pierce (around 4000g) I find it is a very welcome skill.

It is Skyrim all over again. Sigh.

It's worse, actually.

Whereas in Skyrim, while you could indeed jank Smithing, your weapons and armor abilities were reliant on your other skills.

In Amalur, you just need to have 4 points in Smithing to be able to break multiple components down.

It's ridiculous if your character is the Vanilla Human race that already starts with three points in Smithing.

It's worse, actually.

Whereas in Skyrim, while you could indeed jank Smithing, your weapons and armor abilities were reliant on your other skills.

In Amalur, you just need to have 4 points in Smithing to be able to break multiple components down.

It's ridiculous if your character is the Vanilla Human race that already starts with three points in Smithing.

I laugh at the reviewer who mentioned ''Blacksmithing is not viable''

Irnbru

This.

I was playing the demo, level 3, and I had daggers that stole health, added armor, and did fire damage.

I pretty much have 100% block efficiency+some health regen right now through blacksmithing, nothing can touch me as long as I have my shield up, and I heal up. Not saying its a bad thing, Im loving the game, there is soooo much to do, its ridiculous, Ive gone off on a house quest and haven't even touched the main quest.

It's worse, actually.

Ehhh, breaking down only works to get the actual part that you need i.e. high level glove part. The rest of the parts you need to buy if you want the good stuff. Really the best way to do it is combine blacksmithing with sagecraft, and its unstoppable time

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This game on pc... is fucking breath taking. After watching xbox streams... and now watching a pc version stream... holy shit its like.. twice as nice.

Irnbru

This game on pc... is fucking breath taking. After watching xbox streams... and now watching a pc version stream... holy shit its like.. twice as nice.

Yes it is. God yes it is. I have no idea how people complained about the graphics, each zone is huge, packs so many colors, its incredible. I went from forest to swamp to fields to beach in one sitting. Incredible! Haven't even left the first continent yet.

Haunted

I'll completely ignore the crafting, as that basically ruined Skyrim for me (by being badly balanced/too powerful).

The combat being more skill based means that I shouldn't have to rely on making the best equipment anyway.

I urge people to immediately invest points into the Detect Hidden skill. It is not only needed so you can find hidden chests and doors, but also because of the sheer fact that it is awesome to have. I have found some secrets that made me feel completely warm and fuzzy from the inside. This game makes me feel like a small child again.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Starting from the Well of Souls, you will immediately notice some slight changes in comparison with the demo, especially the smoother framerate and landscape glitches that occured which are not present any longer.
We all know the first hour of the game beyond that so that is the part that I am going to skip.

Does the game look better than the demo (framerate and graphic glitches aside)? I know some people were complaining about the PS3 version looking better.

Does the game look better than the demo (framerate and graphic glitches aside)? I know some people were complaining about the PS3 version looking better.

I never played the 360 demo. Shame on me, yes. Why? Because my 360 is not connected with my internet because I still have the FAT version without wifi and since my router is upstairs there is no way in hell I can get a wired connection.

The PS3 demo does look better but the demo for me jumped with the framerate. The full 360 version has a steady framerate.
No matter how many enemies you encounter and how many spells you use. It is a little more blurry but I still think the game looks absolutely beautiful.

How much more challenging is 'hard'?
Is there any penalty to death in the full game?

It is definitely more challenging considering the enemies take longer to kill and the hits they make are harder. I honestly do not know if there is a penalty to death because I have not died.

Oh guys. Be careful of the traps in dungeons. I once stepped on one and I got catapulted to another trap which completely destroyed my life towards %10.

I never played the 360 demo. Shame on me, yes. Why? Because my 360 is not connected with my internet because I still have the FAT version without wifi and since my router is upstairs there is no way in hell I can get a wired connection.

The PS3 demo does look better but the demo for me jumped with the framerate. The full 360 version has a steady framerate.
No matter how many enemies you encounter and how many spells you use. It is a little more blurry but I still think the game looks absolutely beautiful.

This would mean the PS3 version looks nicer since they capped the framerate in the final game.

This would mean the PS3 version looks nicer since they capped the framerate in the final game.

I would not count on that. The demo was over 3 months old and it would not surprise me if the graphics have been lowered to the same level as the 360 version in order to smooth out any framerate problems. But what are we talking about? I am playing the 360 version and it looks absolutely spectacular. The art design is what makes this game because if it had wonderful looking textures but a terrible art design no one would even look at this game.

I would not count on that. The demo was over 3 months old and it would not surprise me if the graphics have been lowered to the same level as the 360 version in order to smooth out any framerate problems. But what are we talking about? I am playing the 360 version and it looks absolutely spectacular. The art design is what makes this game because if it had wonderful looking textures but a terrible art design no one would even look at this game.

We're talking about people like me that played the demos back to back and the PS3 version looked much nicer with the exception of the framerate being uncapped. It wasn't that the PS3 version dropped below where the 360 version was going, it was that the PS3 version was going higher, which meant it was far more noticeable when it dipped back to 360 levels. The art style is great on both, but it's much blurrier on the 360 (demo, again).

I watched a dude get two shotted by a boss in about half a second.
... the enemies take longer to kill and the hits they make are harder.
Thanks. Do you know if they also use new tactics or do they only have more HP/Damage?
I let me get killed in the demo and I respawned at the same place and with full health/mana and no penalty visible.

Thanks. Do you know if they also use new tactics or do they only have more HP/Damage?
I let me get killed in the demo and I respawned at the same place and with full health/mana and no penalty visible.

They only have more HP and deliver more damage.

We're talking about people like me that played the demos back to back and the PS3 version looked much nicer with the exception of the framerate being uncapped. It wasn't that the PS3 version dropped below where the 360 version was going, it was that the PS3 version was going higher, which meant it was far more noticeable when it dipped back to 360 levels. The art style is great on both, but it's much blurrier on the 360 (demo, again).

And again I can not mention whether the PS3 version is better looking then the 360 version.

Atruvius

Just got a message that my copy of the game has been sent. With any luck I will get it on Wednesday. Ooh I've got butterflies in me belly!

Regarding 360 IQ. Maybe 360 version uses quinqunux AA(spelling) ie. the blurry AA. and PS3 version uses something different.

I saw that hard mode does not give more experience, but what about items?

Experience is the same as normal and loot is the same as normal.

What is the point in hard mode if you get awarded with a lot more experience and more and stronger loot? That is like saying that games like Ninja Gaiden award you with extra health potions.

Torraz

Experience is the same as normal and loot is the same as normal.

What is the point in hard mode if you get awarded with a lot more experience and more and stronger loot? That is like saying that games like Ninja Gaiden award you with extra health potions.

Why does better loot drop in hell mode in Diablo 2 than in nightmare and normal?

Risk/reward I'd guess.

But since hard was a bit too hard for me when playing a friends street broken console version today I'm happy that I can play normal and if I ever want to I can still upgrade to hard.

Why does better loot drop in hell mode in Diablo 2 than in nightmare and normal?

Risk/reward I'd guess.

But since hard was a bit too hard for me when playing a friends street broken console version today I'm happy that I can play normal and if I ever want to I can still upgrade to hard.

Touché but it is not present in Amalur as far as I can see in the 10 hours I have played this game.

erragal

True, but I like the added difficulty from unhealed HP. That and I've managed to not really have too many drops with sockets. What region are you talking about? The first two are pretty simple but the ones that add new enemies are a little rougher. Most my fights are just throwing Shadow Flare at things now, though; it deals so much damage that it's ridiculous, especially with the +33% damage that it causes.
Just finished Webwoods last night actually. And to kee my difficulty up I'm refusing to take the Sorcery heal; all my healing is from found healing potions and my very mild self regeneration. We'll see how long I can make it!!

As I found out via the loading screens, Panic status is caused by Burning Damage. This is relevant since Dread (Finess/Sorcery destiny perk) gives me auto crits vs Panic. Guess I'm going Mark of Flame now!
Get ready to start burning things up. Practice a bit with the cone as it's fairly narrow but the nice part is the initial mark causes a stagger!

As for lorestones, I've found at least one that REQUIRES Detect Hidden > Hidden Doors; it's in the area with
the Grave Thresh
. The bonus for that set of lorestones is +6% Faeblade damage so I doubt you'll miss the bonus but kind of sucks that there's a skill requirement for it essentially. Haven't seen any others but I have a few new dungeons to go through.
My friend and I figured that out after each of us spending 20+ minutes scouring that area for the last stone. Fortunately we both are going detect hidden because why not???

I will say this though, I'm really enjoying the fact that a lot of the Hidden Door areas look the part. That is, the area behind it is filled with cobwebs or debris or something to make it stand out as an area that has been hidden away for a long time.
Same with all of the hidden treasures being natural hiding places; it's a nice touch indeed. In fact everything in the game just feels -designed-. As if someone actually had a discussion/took the time to plan all of the details. The dialogue is not insulting, the zones are all really beautiful (IMO, but I love color saturation a lot), and the evil choice in webwood
Killing all the townsfolk instead of the Widow
is really jarring and has lasting ramifications!
But it is neat to have a house in a completely empty town. Creepy, even.

Edit: Oh, the big one that caught my eye is Lunge's damage went way up. Still not sure if it's worth it though... And just noticed that the Arcane Weapon skills all have reduced mana costs for Scepters attached to them.
A few skills amongst all the trees seem to have been retuned slightly. Conservative Casting's final max is 22% instead of 15% (And a great first point), and quite a few of the destiny benefits are a bit higher than before.

and the evil choice in webwood
Killing all the townsfolk instead of the Widow
is really jarring and has lasting ramifications!
But it is neat to have a house in a completely empty town. Creepy, even.

I absolutely loved those
Widow
quests, especially the
castle
one.

Ricker

I would not know.

I am playing the Xbox 360 version but if I compare it to the PS3 demo version the PS3 version is the winner when it comes down to sharper textures, but the framerate went up and down for me. The 360 version has a very steady framerate despite the fact that it crashed twice on me when accepting a quest. I'm glad the autosave is doing its job or else I would have had needed to repeat a half an hour again.

Did you install the game on the 360 Rivyn? are the loading faster?

Top Bottom