• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can anyone tell me the cheapest region to buy this on Steam? I read early in this thread or in the demo thread about it being 47 somewhere.

dokish

Banned
I would not worry about the whole repair costing a bazillion gold. The rate in how fast you get gold is so stupidly high that in the end you can easily have 200,000 gold after 30 hours of playtime.
The detect hidden skill helps a lot as well in that regard.

I cannot upgrade more Alchemy/Sagecraft at the moment, so upgrading detect hidden is what I'm doing!

--

These House of Ballads quest are really fun and interesting. Think I'm gonna go all the way through.

FLEABttn

Banned
haha, Newegg was the place to get this game. Someone on GAF posted a $12 off pre-order coupon in the last thread, and Newegg is selling the game for $44.99, so now I'm getting it for $32.99.

gehrig38

Ok two things I need to be very clear on.
1) THANK YOU guys for being wall bashing work leaving, fake excuse making hard core gamers.
2) EVERY ONE OF YOU SUCKS in a fashion so epic it's impossible to define! I am trapped here in NYC for launch day media and you are playing Reckoning.

There is something so right, and yet so very wrong with this picture......

LiquidMetal14

haha, Newegg was the place to get this game. Someone on GAF posted a $12 off pre-order coupon in the last thread, and Newegg is selling the game for $44.99, so now I'm getting it for $32.99.
Is that universal? Is that is a retail or Origin code?

bodine1231

I still can't decide on a 2nd skill. I maxed out Detect Hidden and its forcing me to take something else. I don't want to take Blacksmithing because I'm scared it will ruin the game like it did in Skyrim. I took the gemcrafting skill but I'm not sold on that either.

Anyone have thoughts on a good 2nd skill for a full Might build?

BTW,the game is AMAZING. I moved my PC into my living room and it just looks stunning,feels like I'm playing on a next gen console. Also,the game has NEVER gone under 60fps on my 6950 card (maxed settings). NEVER

I still can't decide on a 2nd skill. I maxed out Detect Hidden and its forcing me to take something else. I don't want to take Blacksmithing because I'm scared it will ruin the game like it did in Skyrim. I took the gemcrafting skill but I'm not sold on that either.

I would still go with blacksmithing for the repair kits being more viable.

scy

I would not worry about the whole repair costing a bazillion gold. The rate in how fast you get gold is so stupidly high that in the end you can easily have 200,000 gold after 30 hours of playtime.
The detect hidden skill helps a lot as well in that regard.

How far into the game are you? I've got about 9 hours, Level 11, and about 4 or 5 zones done or almost done; I can keep around 40k+ after a few clears but if I was repairing constantly, I doubt it'd be so high.

Then again, outside of trainers, which I've used all of the beginner ones I've found (sans Detect Hidden as I had 5 points in it by the time I could afford the guy), I don't actually spend my gold so I guess I'm about to just start stockpiling it.

Just in case you missed it, I asked about Inoculation earlier. Any idea if there's been any changes there from the demo? Seems like such an utterly useless ability.

Looks to still be 10% per point but a lot of things in the game poison so it's probably the most prevalent enemy elemental damage type if I had to venture a guess.

erragal

How far into the game are you? I've got about 9 hours, Level 11, and about 4 or 5 zones done or almost done; I can keep around 40k+ after a few clears but if I was repairing constantly, I doubt it'd be so high.

Then again, outside of trainers, which I've used all of the beginner ones I've found (sans Detect Hidden as I had 5 points in it by the time I could afford the guy), I don't actually spend my gold so I guess I'm about to just start stockpiling it.

You can visit a fateweaver to reset your skills so you can use the trainer. Of course since you can only use each one once it's not completely broken. It also gives even more ways to use your gold up!

ArjanN

1) THANK YOU guys for being wall bashing work leaving, fake excuse making hard core gamers.
2) EVERY ONE OF YOU SUCKS in a fashion so epic it's impossible to define! I am trapped here in NYC for launch day media and you are playing Reckoning.

Haha, stay strong Curt.

If there's anything else needed, I'll check for you in-game in a bit.
Yeah, if you notice any more changes for the abilities, I'd love to hear it (especially for Might). Can't freaking wait for Wednesday (half day at the office, the rest devoted to reckoning). :)

To this point, I still have no idea what I'm gonna do, class-wise. They all sound so palatable to me. I'm leaning towards Greatsword + Chakram/Staff combo, focusing on that relentless assualt and war cry abilities in the might tree, while rounding out whatever magics I can on the sorcery side. But then again, I also really want that bow with the arrow storm + bleed combo. Stumped.

Just checked my stats and it is 13 hours.

I never felt the urge to repair my armor and weapons or spend gold on trainers. After 13 hours I got around 40k+ as well and it is going up in a faster rate then before. I am, however, quite sure that this grinds to a halt when loot drops that exceed the one's I am already wearing are becoming less and less apparent.

Then stop making games that are so addictive!

No. I am just kidding. Please continue to do so.

Volcynika

Pre-ordered off Steam last night.

Not sure when I'll get to it, but I enjoyed the demo enough to feel it deserves the money for a pre-order. Hopefully this weekend I'll dig into it.

scy

I actually took tomorrow off for the game but now I'm stuck home actually sick.

Just checked my stats and it is 13 hours.

I never felt the urge to repair my armor and weapons or spend gold on trainers. After 13 hours I got around 40k+ as well and it is going up in a faster rate then before. I am, however, quite sure that this grinds to a halt when loot drops that exceed the one's I am already wearing are becoming less and less apparent.

I haven't actually spent money to repair at the NPCs, I just check it, go "holy shit that's ridiculous," and then use a Repair Kit.

I've spent a good 60k+ so I guess I've already earned 100k or more by now. Though that's mostly because I've gotten one Chakram upgrade and two Faeblade upgrades since like level 3 :/

Yeah, if you notice any more changes for the abilities, I'd love to hear it (especially for Might). Can't freaking wait for Wednesday (half day at the office, the rest devoted to reckoning). :)

I'll look it over for you and see if there's anything different, at least base point wise, from the online calculators.

LiquidMetal14

If I buy the UK version will I be able to get the US DLC on it? I'm trying to trade for it and don't want to get that version if I'm in the US and it will block me from the DLC. Nor do I want to go through the trouble of trading for the UK DLC and asking for it every time. I know the Russian versions of games do this so I've basically given up on buying games from that region.

scy

The only Might change I see at the base point level is Wrath (final in the Quake line) is now 50 damage per Impulse and 300 Damage on the final hit, up from 150. When I get to around level 20 or so, I'll do a respec and see if any of the skills scale better than the demo outlined ones.

syllogism

The game seems quite easy even on hard and once you get some mana regen items it starts getting harder to justify using anything besides your spells. I'm only level 11 and I can't run out of mana. Obviously that will change once I get access to top tier spells and I guess the spells will not scale quite as well as weapons.

The game seems quite easy even on hard and once you get some mana regen items it starts getting harder to justify using anything besides your spells. I'm only level 11 and I can't run out of mana. Obviously that will change once I get access to top tier spells and I guess the spells will not scale quite as well as weapons.

Damn.

Unity2012

LOL!

Gee! Sucks to be you trapped in NYC promoting that thing...

... the same thing that is consuming my gaming life, my ability to stay focused at work and my energy.

At work:
Director: "So how are those numbers coming along, huh?
me: "Well, I am seriously debating adding two more points to Stealth and Mighty..."

(Awkward silence)

Director: "What?"
me: "Never mind... I'll get back to you later..."

Aaron

I really wish Steam would start preloading the game soon. I have a slowish connection so 12gb will take a while :\
Lack of preload is a really downer while hearing impressions of people playing the damn game. Release dates are real BS in the digital world.

LOL!

Gee! Sucks to be you trapped in NYC promoting that thing...

... the same thing that is consuming my gaming life, my ability to stay focused at work and my energy.

At work:
me: "Well, I am seriously debating adding two more points to Stealth and Mighty..."

(Awkward silence)

I can so see that happening with me as well.

erragal

Spells can be hard to get off against groups of fast enemies that will stagger you a lot. It's often best to use various weapon attacks to create space/get an enemy stagger then fire off your spells.

Three orange ettins while lightning cursed are pushing me to actually use buff potions. Those warded chests!

At work:

(Awkward silence)

LOL!

I haven't been around for a few days, how did some of you guys get the game early?

LiquidMetal14

If I buy the UK version will I be able to get the US DLC on it? I'm trying to trade for it and don't want to get that version if I'm in the US and it will block me from the DLC. Nor do I want to go through the trouble of trading for the UK DLC and asking for it every time. I know the Russian versions of games do this so I've basically given up on buying games from that region.

Anyone? I want to make sure I can still buy the DLC even if in the US.

And still no pre-load?

-Mikey-

Do all skill trainers only give a certain amount of points? Trying to figure out what I need to dump points into first versus waiting to find a trainer and then dumping points into a skill.

Torraz

Anyone? I want to make sure I can still buy the DLC even if in the US.

And still no pre-load?

I have no idea, but I wouldn't see why not. It's the same game, it's simply a "gift". I know some games of some regions (usually Russia etc.) are tagged ´[RU] but I've never heard of something like this with regard to the UK. Of course this is not a guarantee.

And no, still no pre-load sadly.

Do all skill trainers only give a certain amount of points? Trying to figure out what I need to dump points into first versus waiting to find a trainer and then dumping points into a skill.

The trainers in or close to the starting region only give out the first 3 points. I am sure the points are upped when you reach other regions.

Apdiddy

No, thank you, Curt. I'm one of the fence sitters who will be getting this tomorrow (based on this thread and my time with the demo before it crashed on me).

What's funny to me is how similar to an old studio 38 Studios & its head are: Working Designs. Same crazy passion for gaming and thankfulness of its fans. No, they don't make the same type of games (yet).

If you want to bring over any JRPG's, we could start wth.....

I could be completely wrong (and I probably am).

Better than being stuck in China for work the week it's launched :\

LiquidMetal14

I have no idea, but I wouldn't see why not. It's the same game, it's simply a "gift". I know some games of some regions (usually Russia etc.) are tagged ´[RU] but I've never heard of something like this with regard to the UK. Of course this is not a guarantee.

And no, still no pre-load sadly.

That's what I thought. I see no issue either but have to ask for peace of mind. Thanks again.

syllogism

The trainers in or close to the starting region only give out the first 3 points. I am sure the points are upped when you reach other regions.
To be specific, a basic trainer will only train you if your skill is currently 3 or lower. He will also only train you once. I don't recall if the game said something about there being master level trainers, but there are definitely advanced trainers, who allow training if your skill is currently 4-6.

If you accidentlly go over skill level 3 before training, I believe respeccing allows you to get the permanent point later.

scy

In the time it takes me to actually cast Storm Bolt (5/5), I deal more damage in melee. Spells work better as finishers, really. Especially with how easy it is to get hit around in the game.

Wait, you can use them multiple times? They've always been greyed out for me on repeat visits to them despite it being 4-5+ levels since I last used them.

Top Bottom