• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

AEREC

Man I am so torn.

Normal or hard.... Normal or hard....

I love better loots! But I hate video game frustration!

I plan on going for Hard....games just feel so much more satisfying when it's a challenge.

I really wish this game had a Hardcore mode that either had:

-Checkpoints only (no save anywhere/quicksave)
-1 life (like Witcher 2's mode)
-No changing your perks/skills

ya ya...I realize I could impose those rules on myself, but it's not the same. Save anywhere systems take so much strategy out of games nowadays.

ElyrionX

A few skills amongst all the trees seem to have been retuned slightly. Conservative Casting's final max is 22% instead of 15% (And a great first point), and quite a few of the destiny benefits are a bit higher than before.

Interesting. Mind elaborating a bit on some of the changes you've found?

Also, any comment on the type of gear you've found thus far? I'm thinking of a Shadowcaster build that uses Envenomed Edge, Sphere of Protection and Blade Honing all at once and that 70% mana drain is quite brutal and I wonder if I can use equipment to alleviate it enough to be able to cast Tempest at least.

ElyrionX

Experience is the same as normal and loot is the same as normal.

What is the point in hard mode if you get awarded with a lot more experience and more and stronger loot? That is like saying that games like Ninja Gaiden award you with extra health potions.

Wait you're sure the loot is the same as normal?

Interesting. Mind elaborating a bit on some of the changes you've found?

Also, any comment on the type of gear you've found thus far? I'm thinking of a Shadowcaster build that uses Envenomed Edge, Sphere of Protection and Blade Honing all at once and that 70% mana drain is quite brutal and I wonder if I can use equipment to alleviate it enough to be able to cast Tempest at least.

There are definitely armor sets that benefit classes, reduce mana cost and increase mana regeneration. I am not so far in the game and even I have seen armor which reduced mana cost by 15% and that goes up with each piece in the set you acquire extra.

scy

Just finished Webwoods last night actually.

Webwoods is my last stop before the second quest of the main quest (Odarath ->
Glendara -> Lorca Rane -> The Sidhe -> Haxhi -> Webwood -> Ettinmere
). We'll see if I'm doing things terribly out of order :x

Same with all of the hidden treasures being natural hiding places; it's a nice touch indeed. In fact everything in the game just feels -designed-. As if someone actually had a discussion/took the time to plan all of the details.

Yeah, it definitely seems like some thought went into the Hidden Treasures/Doors. It's a nice touch.

I'm doing a -70% Mana build as a Spellcloak and I'm starting to see that I'll be really needing my spells that I have planned. I've seen quite a bit of +Mana or +Mana% on equipment, even Leather, and seen casting cost reductions. That said, I'm not sure if you'll be able to cast Tempest 1/5 since you'd still need 300+ Mana or -60%+ casting cost reduction; it might be possible but I'm not sure and I'll see if that changes as I get into my 20s and stuff.

I'd think about dropping Sphere of Protection, to be honest. I'm planning to do so for my build now.

As for Destiny changes, here's a few just from the Finesse/Sorcery line:
Arcanist:
+22% Elemental Damage
+10% Piercing Damage
+5% Critical Chance

Warlock:
+26% Elemental Damage
+13% Piercing Damage
+7% Critical Chance

Spellcloak:
+30% Elemental Damage
+15% Piercing Damage
+10% Critical Chance

Shadowcaster:
+34% Elemental Damage
+20% Piercing Damage
+12% Critical Chance

Edit: Just to for out there planning Universalist, it's now -25% Equip Requirements, not halved. That one caught my eye as different from memory. The rest of it looks the same (+20% Melee/Ranged/Elemental Damage, +10% Critical, +12% Physical Resistance, +3 Skills).

Wait you're sure the loot is the same as normal?

I don't really want to switch down to Normal for an entire dungeon run or two so all I can really say is that, at the very least, loot quantity is way up from the demo build; I'm finding even purple and set drops in Hidden Treasures and I'll be surprised if I did a recent dungeon clear without at least one blue or better quality loot.

On that note, I actually haven't seen a good piece of blue loot yet :(

ElyrionX

I'm doing a -70% Mana build as a Spellcloak and I'm starting to see that I'll be really needing my spells that I have planned. I've seen quite a bit of +Mana or +Mana% on equipment, even Leather, and seen casting cost reductions. That said, I'm not sure if you'll be able to cast Tempest 1/5 since you'd still need 300+ Mana or -60%+ casting cost reduction; it might be possible but I'm not sure and I'll see if that changes as I get into my 20s and stuff.

I'd think about dropping Sphere of Protection, to be honest. I'm planning to do so for my build now.

As for Destiny changes, here's a few just from the Finesse/Sorcery line:
Arcanist:
+22% Elemental Damage
+10% Piercing Damage
+5% Critical Chance

Warlock:
+26% Elemental Damage
+13% Piercing Damage
+7% Critical Chance

Spellcloak:
+30% Elemental Damage
+15% Piercing Damage
+10% Critical Chance

Shadowcaster:
+34% Elemental Damage
+20% Piercing Damage
+12% Critical Chance

Wow the damages have been scaled up quite a bit huh? Oh and looking at the skill trees, did they buff Inoculation?

The issue I'm having with Sphere of Protection is that it's either that or Ice Barrage in the Sorcery tree. Since I already plan to have Smoke Bomb, Shadow Flare, Mark of Flame and Storm Bolt, I don't need another active ability and the only place to dump the points is in Sphere unless I go for the bow skills in Finesse.

Goddamn, I wish I had preordered this on Steam instead of at retail.

scy

Wow the damages have been scaled up quite a bit huh? Oh and looking at the skill trees, did they buff Inoculation?

The issue I'm having with Sphere of Protection is that it's either that or Ice Barrage in the Sorcery tree. Since I already plan to have Smoke Bomb, Shadow Flare, Mark of Flame and Storm Bolt, I don't need another active ability and the only place to dump the points is in Sphere unless I go for the bow skills in Finesse.

Goddamn, I wish I had preordered this on Steam instead of at retail.

Oddly, it's the only one to scale up. Might/Finesse looks untouched. Might/Sorcery is mostly the same but Champion is now 75% of Damage Received as Mana (25%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 75% is how the tree progresses on that).

And yeah, I just ran into that problem with points when I went back into my build. Forgot that Sphere was there mostly as a point sink.

Some others:

Finesse:
Nightblade's Assassination is now +300% Critical Hit (?) after triggering Evasion.
Edit: To clarify, "Evasion" is the name of the Finesse Destiny line's built-in avoidance chance, not the actual in-game roll/blink/etc.

Sorcery:
+25%, +30%, +35%, +40%, +45%, +50% Elemental Damage for the scaling up the tiers.

Might:
+20%, +22%, +24%, +26%, +28%, +30% Block Efficacy for the scaling up the tiers.

ElyrionX

Oddly, it's the only one to scale up. Might/Finesse looks untouched. Might/Sorcery is mostly the same but Champion is now 75% of Damage Received as Mana (25%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 75% is how the tree progresses on that).

And yeah, I just ran into that problem with points when I went back into my build. Forgot that Sphere was there mostly as a point sink.

The issue with a Spellcloak is that you inevitably end up with a bunch of useless crap on the Sorcery tree.

I made a Slayer build instead and it looks a lot more interesting than a Spellcloak, IMO.

The only issue: no poison blink and no chakrams.

scy

The issue with a Spellcloak is that you inevitably end up with a bunch of useless crap on the Sorcery tree.

I made a Slayer build instead and it looks a lot more interesting than a Spellcloak, IMO.

The only issue: no poison blink and no chakrams.

79 Finesse / 44 Sorcery. My planned active loadout is just Storm Bolt, Mark of Flame, Shadow Flare, and Smoke Bomb so, yes, Lunge and Ice Barrage are basically wastes. I may still switch back to SoP just since I don't have super high casting costs on my abilities.

I had a Might/Finesse build somewhere earlier in this topic but I don't remember all of it off-hand :(

dokish

Banned
Hi guys. I played this game for about 5h30 yesterday and all I can say is: It's one of the most fun game I've ever played! IGN wasn't over reacting when they talked about "GOTY material".

I went on some dungeon yesterday (forgot the name. If I remeber, I'll post screenshots) and it was HUGE, epic scale. Remind me of Lord of The Rings or Gears of War, when you're after the Queen.

I'm playing on Hard Mode, Full Sorcery build. Alchemy is REALLY nice. And a little tip: The best "potion farmin" in the game is brewing "Unstable Potion" with health materials. I dunno if every effect will be the same, but I made 30-ish Unstable Potion and they regenerate A LOT of my health during combate. Is all I use.

Seriously, buy this. You're not gonna regret. Forget about camera issues. Everything else is just awesome.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing: I'm not seeing people making mage builds. :(
I think this game is one of the best to play as a mage. A lot of spells, great fun be surrounded by huge mob and cast summon + mark of flame.

For anyone not wanting to use fire with their build I do suggest to keep a weapon at hand that uses fire, especially when you enter a spider invested cave. Just a heads up.

And fuck do I HATE those chests that need to be dispelled. The very easy and easy one's are fine but I always fuck up the average and hard dispel chests and I end up with a curse.

scy

For anyone not wanting to use fire with their build I do suggest to keep a weapon at hand that uses fire, especially when you enter a spider invested cave. Just a heads up.

Likewise, any melee build should try to keep something around that causes Bleed damage. While a target is bleeding, you deal +33% Physical (I'll double-check that it's just physical later) damage to them. It's pretty ridiculous.

And fuck do I HATE those chests that need to be dispelled. The very easy and easy one's are fine but I always fuck up the average and hard dispel chests and I end up with a curse.

I failed my first one yesterday like ... 8 hours into the game or something. It blew up, I got cursed, and then I died.

:(

dokish

Banned
What's wrong with fire? I always carry 2 different elemental weapons with me.

Like, primary > fire staff
secondary > ice/lightning sceptre.

or vice-versa.

ElyrionX

My current plan is to just go through the game as a pure mage first. Once I mess around with all the top tier spells, I'm going to respecc into a hybrid.

What's wrong with fire? I always carry 2 different elemental weapons with me.

Like, primary > fire staff
secondary > ice/lightning sceptre.

or vice-versa.

Nothing is wrong with fire. In fact, it is essential when traversing the landscape and out looking for hidden chests.

erragal

Likewise, any melee build should try to keep something around that causes Bleed damage. While a target is bleeding, you deal +33% Physical (I'll double-check that it's just physical later) damage to them. It's pretty ridiculous.

I failed my first one yesterday like ... 8 hours into the game or something. It blew up, I got cursed, and then I died.

:(

Wow, I wasn't aware bleeds did that. Is that in a loading screen tip that you noticed that? Or is it on a debuff tooltip? I might need to make a bleed staff (Bleed to quake = crazy damage!)

That's my other concession to difficulty : no dispelling skill means lots of ward deaths. I am kinda sad that I have to take trap finding to move up the detect hidden tree as I really enjoyed the lethality of the early game traps. Kinda wish trap finding was in the sneak line!

B00TE

Pretty excited to play this whenever my order comes in. Watched the streams are making me incredibly eager to dive in. Love dem graphics. THE COLORS!

Wow, I wasn't aware bleeds did that. Is that in a loading screen tip that you noticed that? Or is it on a debuff tooltip? I might need to make a bleed staff (Bleed to quake = crazy damage!)

That's my other concession to difficulty : no dispelling skill means lots of ward deaths. I am kinda sad that I have to take trap finding to move up the detect hidden tree as I really enjoyed the lethality of the early game traps. Kinda wish trap finding was in the sneak line!

It makes sense. Detect Hidden says it all. It detects all hidden things that anyone else should not be able to notice. These are chests, hidden doors and especially traps.

erragal

It makes sense. Detect Hidden says it all. It detects all hidden things that anyone else should not be able to notice. These are chests, hidden doors and especially traps.

I know it makes perfect sense I just want all the hidden treasures but to still die to traps accidentally! I want my cake!

EDIT: Side note: Staves are amazing for applying aoe elemental effects. The attack from block for staves is my favorite attack right now; it draws enemies together, staggers them multiple times, and applies all of my dot affects on them as well. It fires off very quickly also! On the other hand I find the charge move to be very underwhelming for how often I get interrupted trying to do it. Does not compare to the crazy dagger charge attack!

I know it makes perfect sense I just want all the hidden treasures but to still die to traps accidentally! I want my cake!

Then do not invest points after number 5 or 6 (dont know the exact number). I do know the traps come after the ability to locate chests and hidden doors.

scy

I noticed it when Shadow Flare was causing short-term damage buffs so I began documenting it; since it only happened after Shadow Flare and Shadow Flare's only non-direct damage property is bleeding, it made sense. A loading screen (or maybe something in-game when hit with a bleed?) confirmed it for me later.

Does not compare to the crazy dagger charge attack!

Honestly, I don't think I use the Faeblade or Chakram ones all that often :/

erragal

Then do not invest points after number 5 or 6 (dont know the exact number). I do know the traps come after the ability to locate chests and hidden doors.

You actually get disarm traps at Detect Hidden 4 and Secret Doors at 5. Unfortunately even if you don't have the 'traps show on minimap' the glow for disarming traps when you get near them makes them very easy to deal with. It's possible that might change as I progress though; I'm not too worried as there are still plenty of ways for me to die!

I'm a masochist too; if I don't die enough in a game I'm not having fun :)

@Scy: That's great. Once I actually find a staff with a weapon socket I'm going to try out how well staves can apply bleeds to groups. I suppose it'd be better as finesse/might but I like the idea of a bleed/quake wizard perhaps even more than an elemental one!

You actually get disarm traps at Detect Hidden 4 and Secret Doors at 5. Unfortunately even if you don't have the 'traps show on minimap' the glow for disarming traps when you get near them makes them very easy to deal with. It's possible that might change as I progress though; I'm not too worried as there are still plenty of ways for me to die!

I'm a masochist too; if I don't die enough in a game I'm not having fun :)

You are correct. The disarm traps is at 4 but taking apart the traps and getting scrap from them comes at a later time.

masterkajo

How viable is a pure archer build?
I haven't looked much at the skill trees but each RGP I always try to go archer. I just like me the bow. In some RPGs, however, the bow is only meant as support. Can I make a viable archer in this game or do I also have to choose something different. I mean I could see myself as an archer that enchats this arrows and has the occasional spell.
AHH... why do I have to wait until friday to play :(

Do you need points in Lockpicking or Dispelling to be able to unlock chests or to gain access to loot in dungeons?

No.

Let us take lockpicking for example. The points invested in that decreases the failure rate of your pick breaking and on later levels you do not even have to worry about picks breaking on you with Very Easy, Easy, Average and Hard chests.

How viable is a pure archer build?
I haven't looked much at the skill trees but each RGP I always try to go archer. I just like me the bow. In some RPGs, however, the bow is only meant as support. Can I make a viable archer in this game or do I also have to choose something different. I mean I could see myself as an archer that enchats this arrows and has the occasional spell.
AHH... why do I have to wait until friday to play :(

Going archer only is impossible. You need to have a back-up melee skill. Daggers is the most viable in my opinion.

ElyrionX

Hmmm ok, but you can say the same of Skyrim's lockpicking systen and in that game, a guy with level 10 in lockpick is going to find it practically impossible to pick master level locks. I wonder if that will be the case for this game; where it becomes so hard in the later levels that you absolutely need points in the skill to be able to pick locks.

Torraz

Played some more at my friends house and I think I might need to rethink the full finesse build...

I went straight into some gnoll cave and got rocked every single encounter on hard.
- even with my passive stealth bonus enemies would detect me from like 30-40 feet away - so no daggering them
- the first monsters I killed outside gave me some nice magical daggers, but they were less than useless against the gnolls (this makes me think that I was perhaps underleveled???)
- using magic was the most effective thing, followed by using the bow
- camera screwed me more than once which resulted in getting hit by a gnoll-thrown spear which is not good for the health on hard
- had to constantly hit and run (in order to fix the camera and keep some range as blocking/rolling against 4-5 monsters at once was quite hard)
- monster attacks seem to readjust if one rolls too early

I might need to reconsider going full magic once my steam copy arrives/preloads/unlocks.

erragal

Played some more at my friends house and I think I might need to rethink the full finesse build...

I went straight into some gnoll cave and got rocked every single encounter on hard.
- even with my passive stealth bonus enemies would detect me from like 30-40 feet away - so no daggering them
- the first monsters I killed outside gave me some nice magical daggers, but they were less than useless against the gnolls (this makes me think that I was perhaps underleveled???)
- camera screwed me more than once which resulted in getting hit by a gnoll-thrown spear which is not good for the health on hard
- had to constantly hit and run (in order to fix the camera and keep some range as blocking/rolling against 4-5 monsters at once was quite hard)

I might need to reconsider going full magic once my steam copy arrives/preloads/unlocks.

This is strange. My friend who I was in voice chat with all day yesterday so far has only used daggers to kill (Going shadowcaster but starting finesse) and had no troubles whatsoever. You don't really need stealth to kill with the daggers as they have crazy powerful attacks, particularly the charge attack can be chained multiple times to pass through several enemies.

Rolling can be a bit tricky as sometimes the camera gets stuck at a really low/close angle and you lose sight of some enemies but I haven't ever died from it so far. I actually love that enemies will track your rolls with their ranged attacks if they haven't released them yet; it makes sense and adds some timing and danger into the game.

Finesse has so many strong escapes and controls that I can't see you having trouble. The stealth definitely seems VERY particular about line of sight, so much that distance doesn't matter if they're facing you. It's probably the most unforgiving stealth system in an RPG I've ever seen...but on the flip side if you use it properly you can generally wipe out a group before they can react. Finesse will also likely improve a lot when you get smoke bomb.

can anyone comment on the game manual for this game for PC?

for RPG's I like a nice manual, but if its tiny I will save money and buy the digital download

The reason why you are being detected is because of the fact that you are not stealthing them from the back.

If your daggers are not working on your enemies it means you are either underleveled, the daggers are a waste or they are immune to a certain type of magic in those daggers.

Playing a rogue is part of the whole hit and run tactic. There is no way you will be able to keep at it otherwise.

Torraz

This is strange. My friend who I was in voice chat with all day yesterday so far has only used daggers to kill (Going shadowcaster but starting finesse) and had no troubles whatsoever. You don't really need stealth to kill with the daggers as they have crazy powerful attacks, particularly the charge attack can be chained multiple times to pass through several enemies.

Rolling can be a bit tricky as sometimes the camera gets stuck at a really low/close angle and you lose sight of some enemies but I haven't ever died from it so far. I actually love that enemies will track your rolls with their ranged attacks if they haven't released them yet; it makes sense and adds some timing and danger into the game.

Finesse has so many strong escapes and controls that I can't see you having trouble. The stealth definitely seems VERY particular about line of sight, so much that distance doesn't matter if they're facing you. It's probably the most unforgiving stealth system in an RPG I've ever seen...but on the flip side if you use it properly you can generally wipe out a group before they can react. Finesse will also likely improve a lot when you get smoke bomb.

Weird. I hopped into the first dungeon I found (gnoll cave) after the tutorial, so I might just be underlevelled. A single dagger charge attack pretty much doesn't move the HP bars.

Any way to check the levels of the enemies?

scy

can anyone comment on the game manual for this game for PC?

for RPG's I like a nice manual, but if its tiny I will save money and buy the digital download

There's an in-game manual, if that helps any.

@Finesse: I'm Finesse/Sorcery with an actual staggered point progression. If I know the cave you're talking about (Stonecandle), then you're a little underleveled if you go there right at the start. Kobolds are nasty.

Daggers take off a bit when you invest in the actual base mastery for it; your damage goes up a lot with that. Also judicious use of Shadow Flare and even Envenomed Edge will make fights a lot easier.

Weird. I hopped into the first dungeon I found (gnoll cave) after the tutorial, so I might just be underlevelled. A single dagger charge attack pretty much doesn't move the HP bars.

Any way to check the levels of the enemies?

Remember this: Enemies that are red by name means you can not kill them yet.

scy

Hmmm ok, but you can say the same of Skyrim's lockpicking systen and in that game, a guy with level 10 in lockpick is going to find it practically impossible to pick master level locks. I wonder if that will be the case for this game; where it becomes so hard in the later levels that you absolutely need points in the skill to be able to pick locks.

Well, I have no trouble with Skyrim's system for the most part, even with no Lockpicking perks on Master chests; sure, I break a few picks but it's not so bad.

Very Hard Amalur (Reckoning? KoA?) chests are probably worse, though, just since the time between the pick first shaking and it breaking on those chests is a little narrower than Skyrim's Master chests. Not sure if that's worded well enough for people to get :( Just seems to be a smaller time frame for saving a pick from breaking on Amalur's Very Hard chests than Skyrim's Master chests.

If weapons/armor break, are they gone permanently or can you still repair them? Also, do you guys have a sense of how often they break?

EDIT: Also, great updates on the stat changes, scy.

Torraz

There's an in-game manual, if that helps any.

@Finesse: I'm Finesse/Sorcery with an actual staggered point progression. If I know the cave you're talking about (Stonecandle), then you're a little underleveled if you go there right at the start. Kobolds are nasty.

Daggers take off a bit when you invest in the actual base mastery for it; your damage goes up a lot with that. Also judicious use of Shadow Flare and even Envenomed Edge will make fights a lot easier.

Alright, thanks.

Is there some general measure as to my strength vs. the enemies in the area?

If weapons/armor break, are they gone permanently or can you still repair them? Also, do you guys have a sense of how often they break?

You can still repair them.

They also do not break that often but at the start you get so much new loot that you almost never repair stuff.

scy

For where I'm at in the game, the durability was actually long enough for me to find their replacement, even at ~12-15 points of it. 20-30 on weapons isn't so bad and you'll probably go a few dungeon clears before having to worry about it.

Repair costs, however, are atrocious. Use Repair Kits instead, they're far cheaper. NPC repairing my equipment at Level 10 is _20k_ for the whole thing (2k-3k per piece on my Purple loot).

If there's anything else needed, I'll check for you in-game in a bit.

For where I'm at in the game, the durability was actually long enough for me to find their replacement, even at ~12-15 points of it. 20-30 on weapons isn't so bad and you'll probably go a few dungeon clears before having to worry about it.

Repair costs, however, are atrocious. Use Repair Kits instead, they're far cheaper. NPC repairing my equipment at Level 10 is _20k_ for the whole thing (2k-3k per piece on my Purple loot).

I would not worry about the whole repair costing a bazillion gold. The rate in how fast you get gold is so stupidly high that in the end you can easily have 200,000 gold after 30 hours of playtime.
The detect hidden skill helps a lot as well in that regard.

ElyrionX

Just in case you missed it, I asked about Inoculation earlier. Any idea if there's been any changes there from the demo? Seems like such an utterly useless ability.

Top Bottom