• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My roommate unlocked the game early on Origin, and I'm sitting here waiting for my retail PC copy to arrive. Thank god I have the Diablo 3 beta to keep me entertained until it arrives.

syllogism

In the time it takes me to actually cast Storm Bolt (5/5), I deal more damage in melee. Spells work better as finishers, really. Especially with how easy it is to get hit around in the game.

Wait, you can use them multiple times? They've always been greyed out for me on repeat visits to them despite it being 4-5+ levels since I last used them.
Mark of flame is ranged, AoE, has almost no cool down and is currently doing way over 300 damage (+ burning damage). I only use storm bolt for stun really.

So it looks sharper than the demo did?

By most accounts, no. It's the same as the demo. If you preferred the look of the PS3 version, that is the one to get still, but they did cap the framerate so you wont have to worry about that problem in the final.

In the time it takes me to actually cast Storm Bolt (5/5), I deal more damage in melee. Spells work better as finishers, really. Especially with how easy it is to get hit around in the game.

Wait, you can use them multiple times? They've always been greyed out for me on repeat visits to them despite it being 4-5+ levels since I last used them.

No. The starting region trainers only give out the first 3 points so there is no return visits. I do not know what the other trainers do in the other far away regions but this is what I know.

scy

Mark of flame is ranged, AoE, has almost no cool down and is currently doing way over 300 damage (+ burning damage). I only use storm bolt for stun really.

To be fair, Shadow Flare is my staple for bringing down enemies since it tends to do 200+ (500+ if they're big enemies); Mark of Flame's range is longer than I thought it was so it's a relatively safe option. I dunno, it still doesn't seem like spells only would really do that great vs some of the faster enemy types that surround you. Then again, it's not like the game is super OMG difficult, just a bit easy to get overwhelmed in.

No. The starting region trainers only give out the first 3 points so there is no return visits. I do not know what the other trainers do in the other far away regions but this is what I know.

Guess I just misread what you wrote.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Whats badass about this game is that it's just simply so much fun to play. When I see a blotch of red dots on the map, I run straight at them cause I wanna fight. Even if they are out of the way of my objective. You know they nailed the combat system cause I'm out looking for unnecessary fights haha.

What's badass about this game is that it's just simply so much fun to play. When I see a blotch of red dots on the map, I run straight at them cause I wanna fight. Even if they are out of the way of my objective. You know they nailed the combat system cause I'm out looking for unnecessary fights haha.

So true.

In Skyrim I always wanted to avoid a lot of fights but in this game I always say ''BRING 'EM ON!'

scy

To anyone curious as to what kind of Gems we'll see, here's one from a relatively low-level (currently Level 13) quest I just finished:

BLBYh.png

Now ... to find something I can actually put it in...

Also, that quest made me appreciate how much I hate Sprites with multiple Champions around :(

Staab

Game is pretty awesome, still haven't really gone past the demo scope but some of the bugs that were present are gone and the camera seems to behave a bit better to me.

One thing that confuses me is the stealing aspect, some items show 0% chance of being detected, yet when I take em I get flagged as a criminal and need to "face a guard" otherwise I can't do shit cause the whole town hates me.

Torraz

Wanted to report back regarding the finesse/rogue weakness.

Like you guys said, we were simply outleveled by the monsters. The orcs at the fateweaver were very easy and so are the bandits in the next dungeon I went into - on hard. It's very nice at the moment, daggers are getting more and more effective, lots of flashy moves and I found a nice bow.

Which leads me to my question again:
HOW can I gauge the difficulty of enemies when I roam into a random dungeon?

Also, where is my preload D:.

To anyone curious as to what kind of Gems we'll see, here's one from a relatively low-level (currently Level 13) quest I just finished:

BLBYh.png

Now ... to find something I can actually put it in...

Also, that quest made me appreciate how much I hate Sprites with multiple Champions around :(

Dodge and attack, dodge and attack. Some battles just take time. I noticed myself that if I try to combo a single enemy I always get punished hard. I always put up frost traps and then stand behind them firing arrows.

scy

HOW can I gauge the difficulty of enemies when I roam into a random dungeon?.

Their con (e.g., yellow name) means they're appropriate level for you. However, some enemy types are just harder than others. Basic bandits and Boggarts are a lot easier than Kobolds/Kobold Savages or Niskaru, for instance. You'll eventually get a feel for how hard individual enemy types are.

Dodge and attack, dodge and attack. Some battles just take time. I noticed myself that if I try to combo a single enemy I always get punished hard. I always put up frost traps and then stand behind them firing arrows.

Basically. Chakrams are basically a godsend for me vs them as it lets me hit and away while keeping a safe range from the Frost Champions or the Frost boosted Sprites that are shooting at me and lets me keep an eye on Flame Champions charging up for their charge. They're probably my most feared enemy type lol :x

Torraz

Their con (e.g., yellow name) means they're appropriate level for you. However, some enemy types are just harder than others. Basic bandits and Boggarts are a lot easier than Kobolds/Kobold Savages or Niskaru, for instance. You'll eventually get a feel for how hard individual enemy types are.

Basically. Chakrams are basically a godsend for me vs them as it lets me hit and away while keeping a safe range from the Frost Champions or the Frost boosted Sprites that are shooting at me and lets me keep an eye on Flame Champions charging up for their charge. They're probably my most feared enemy type lol :x

Thanks, I was guessing it was something like that :).

I do not know what their name are. Yolvan or whatever. They are these huge giants with warhammers that do electrical damage. These are my most feared enemies for now, especially the elite one's.

ElyrionX

Question about the faeblades. I hear people say that regular faeblade attacks have an AoE bcause of the natural arc of the weapon and the spinning nature of the attacks. But based on videos, that AoE seems to be pretty small because of the limited reach of the faeblades. How useful is the faeblades' AoE in the game then?

Also, what's the biggest pack of enemies that you guys have encountered thus far? Can we expect truly epic Diablo II-like battles with literally 30 to 40 enemies on screen at the same time?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I tried playing the demo on PC but the wonky controls really bother me. The UI could use some work too.

The controls with a 360 controller are better, imo.

Game is pretty awesome, still haven't really gone past the demo scope but some of the bugs that were present are gone and the camera seems to behave a bit better to me.

One thing that confuses me is the stealing aspect, some items show 0% chance of being detected, yet when I take em I get flagged as a criminal and need to "face a guard" otherwise I can't do shit cause the whole town hates me.

I believe what you're seeing is a 0% chance of success. If the number you see next to an item is 60, that means you have a 60 percent chance of successfully stealing it without being caught.

Question about the faeblades. I hear people say that regular faeblade attacks have an AoE bcause of the natural arc of the weapon and the spinning nature of the attacks. But based on videos, that AoE seems to be pretty small because of the limited reach of the faeblades. How useful is the faeblades' AoE in the game then?

Also, what's the biggest pack of enemies that you guys have encountered thus far? Can we expect truly epic Diablo II-like battles with literally 30 to 40 enemies on screen at the same time?

Do not expect the same AoE range as mage spells but they are definitely a lot more viable in packs then daggers. The only downside is that a lot of the attacks can not be stopped so that means you are open for any type of attack.
I prefer daggers because they offer you a myriad of fast attacks, and the fact that the charge power is incredibly powerful and awesome to watch.

Biggest pack of enemies? Around 15. They also fight each other.

Is there a stated time on when the embargo is up? I have about 4 more hours to pre-order from Amazon and would love to hear the PS3 vs 360 impressions.

scy

It's nifty for enemies right next to each other but not something I'd build an entire idea around. They're just fun and look cooler than Daggers, even if Daggers get that sleek dash :x

Of enemies aggressive vs me? 12-ish, I'd say. I had the aforementioned
Sprite waves
and I had a dungeon with a boss that had ~8 or so summoned enemies to deal with. The two areas I'm doing now are more about their big enemies (Jottuns, Threshes) so it's been smaller packs with hard enemies.

I did have my first real boss fight though! A summoned giant
Niskaru
. Wasn't too hard but I potion spammed it instead of dodging the point blank AoE. Kind of wish I had done it "fair" but I was getting tired last night :/

I believe what you're seeing is a 0% chance of success. If the number you see next to an item is 60, that means you have a 60 percent chance of successfully stealing it without being caught.

The percentage should be detection chance, not stealing chance.

I do not know what their name are. Yolvan or whatever. They are these huge giants with warhammers that do electrical damage. These are my most feared enemies for now, especially the elite one's.

I love bigger enemies since Shadow Flare gets them multiple times, interrupts them, and then I can combo for the win :x Small things are the bane of my existence.

scy

Huh, neat. Just noticed that Poison damage is a Damage debuff on enemies. So Bleed increases the damage you deal and Poison decreases the damage they deal. My character is a debuff monster!

Hmmm only 12-15 enemies at a time? That's kind of disappointing.

Honestly, I'm not sure how the logistics would work with 30+ enemies at once. Unless they're all trash that doesn't take much to kill. Most regular enemies still take a good combo or two to kill from me so 30+ of that would be ridiculous.

Also keep in mind, I'm technically still in the started areas (maybe? I think I'm just going the complete wrong way...)

perezidente

Neo Member
That's true. I don't know the specifics...can check with some folks on Monday if people are curious, but I'm pretty sure we do more than just upping the damage/hp of mobs.

Hey guys, Justin Perez here, one of the Systems Designers here at BHG. When you go up to the Hard difficulty level, we do increase the damage and health of enemies across the board (and decrease when you go down to Easy). In addition we're also adjusting the number of attacks a player can be subjected to at once. In the simplest terms what goes on behind the scenes is this: Every NPC attack in the game has a weighted number value, and we allow all active attack weights to add up to X. On Hard, we let that X be higher.

To give you a real in-game example: on Normal difficulty if you fought a troll and a couple boggarts, when the troll does his big charging overhead slam, it basically locks out other melee attacks from happening at the same time. The player is left just to focus on dodging that troll's charge. However on Hard those boggarts are free to launch into their basic combo attack at the same time the troll is charging. So it's more stuff that is going on at once the player has to be aware of.

There are no adjustments to loot drops or experience based on difficulty.

Love seeing all your feedback and thoughts, both positive and negative. We're all extremely excited that everyone can get their hands on the game very, very soon!

AEREC

Hey guys, Justin Perez here, one of the Systems Designers here at BHG. When you go up to the Hard difficulty level, we do increase the damage and health of enemies across the board (and decrease when you go down to Easy). In addition we're also adjusting the number of attacks a player can be subjected to at once. In the simplest terms what goes on behind the scenes is this: Every NPC attack in the game has a weighted number value, and we allow all active attack weights to add up to X. On Hard, we let that X be higher.

To give you a real in-game example: on Normal difficulty if you fought a troll and a couple boggarts, when the troll does his big charging overhead slam, it basically locks out other melee attacks from happening at the same time. The player is left just to focus on dodging that troll's charge. However on Hard those boggarts are free to launch into their basic combo attack at the same time the troll is charging. So it's more stuff that is going on at once the player has to be aware of.

There are no adjustments to loot drops or experience based on difficulty.

Love seeing all your feedback and thoughts, both positive and negative. We're all extremely excited that everyone can get their hands on the game very, very soon!

Awesome..thanks for the response. Better loot on hard didnt make much sense anyways. Would have loved for there to have a been a different save system on hard though.

I just bit. The slowmo stuff in the daggers combos will drive me nuts... but Im excited about a new studio to fill the shoes of Bioware who are currently circling the toilet. You have my $60, Curt Schilling.

Also i'm a red sox fan in my 30s and can't thank you and that team enough for the joy you brought

I just bit. The slowmo stuff in the daggers combos will drive me nuts... but Im excited about a new studio to fill the shoes of Bioware who are currently circling the toilet. You have my $60, Curt Schilling.

Also i'm a red sox fan in my 30s and can't thank you and that team enough for the joy you brought

If you don't like the slo-mo attack, why do it?

Torraz

One small problem we are currently encountering is that the game keeps bugging us to use up reckoning mode and we already died twice due to that message blocking an enemy attack animation that we should have seen.

One small problem we are currently encountering is that the game keeps bugging us to use up reckoning mode and we already died twice due to that message blocking an enemy attack animation that we should have seen.

Is that in the final game too? That was one of the worst parts of the demo. Show it to me once, fine, but stop doing it over and over. I'm a big boy, I know how to play my games.

Torraz

Is that in the final game too? That was one of the worst parts of the demo. Show it to me once, fine, but stop doing it over and over. I'm a big boy, I know how to play my games.

Yes. We've used it during the tutorial spot but now it keeps popping up periodically. We haven't used it since then since we want to save it for a boss or so, but it's a little annoying.

scy

That is incorrect. The number shown is the chance for success.

I'm looking at it in-game and it's chance of failure; you get 100% when directly in line of sight of someone, not 0%.

I saw it a few times but it's been awhile since I've seen it. I pop Reckoning pretty often, though, since the bonus EXP is nice and I need the Essence of Fate drops for crafting. Once I figure out a recipe for them.

Xilium

You can turn of tutorial messages in the options menu. Don't know if it will get rid of the reckoning prompt but can't hurt to try.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hate to keep spamming up this thread, but is there any word on the Steam version's status?

I've given up on pre-loading, but will it at least get a midnight launch? Will this strange issue of the game showing up as installed (only 16 MB) and being impossible to uninstall be resolved before release?

Klyka

Banned
Yes. We've used it during the tutorial spot but now it keeps popping up periodically. We haven't used it since then since we want to save it for a boss or so, but it's a little annoying.

How about you turn of tutorials in the options menu?

Sothpaw

Definitely not. It is fun and challenging where as hard can be fun, challenging and frustrating.

Can you elaborate on this a bit? The demo left me with the impression that normal would be too easy given that you can spam potions. Maybe I'm missing something; is there a cooldown on potions? Even if not, they do instantly restore health which seems pretty overpowered.

I tried playing the demo on PC but the wonky controls really bother me. The UI could use some work too.
Yeah. It's great to see a new RPG IP, but I'll wait for Steam sale or until controls are 'fixed' (sorry devs).

Reveirg

So when are reviews coming out?

I don't care for scores but I'd like some end-build impressions before buying on day one... an embargo so late is a questionable decision IMO.

If you don't like the slo-mo attack, why do it?

Why do the attack or why buy the game?

I'm doing the attack in the demo because it's one of the few moves I have. Hopefully better combos without slow mo open up later

I'm buying the game for two reasons... One is I hope it's good. The other is to support a new studio who seem to have a gamer first mentality.

Top Bottom