• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Felicia pulling RPG-rank on Day9 with that Planescape: Torment name drop!

Oh god this is exactly like playing with my wife. Felicia said, "Oh no he has a mom!." My wife gets mad when I kill dear because they probably have children.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
GB review:http://www.giantbomb.com/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning/61-30330/reviews/

Jeff states it gets too easy and the quests become monotonous :(

The same could be said about almost every WRPG in existence.. bad combat.. repetitive quests.. boring story.. all of these describe another big WRPG released recently too. It's just not why people buy these games. They like the stat crunching, the planning out builds with calculators, comparing phat purple dropz, and just feeling like a bad ass fantasy dood in a world of elves and shit.

Zeth

Wow, just read/watched Sessler's stuff about the game. Seems to be way out of line with the majority of opinions. Not that that's a bad thing.

scy

Speaking of monotonous quests, one of my favorite little touches to a quest was a kill X of Y quest. Why? The point of it was that he's trying to get some vials to "detect" when you've killed a certain amount. To perfect the "art" of tracking kill counts.

It got me to laugh at it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wow, just read/watched Sessler's stuff about the game. Seems to be way out of line with the majority of opinions. Not that that's a bad thing.

You'll probably get a mix of reviews with the flavors of "I'm sick of this quest log, kill this, get that, put some points in magic thing after playing Skyrim forever" or "yay, more of this quest log, kill this, get that, put some points in magic AND cool one button mashing combos that makes this totally different than Skyrim!"

suprised me.. Sessler seems to be all about new studios and games but he was pretty down on Amalur.

oh well I AM IN LOVE with it.

ReaperXL7

So I got my ce about a half an hour ago and all I can say is that it is without question the best ce I have ever purchased for a game. Really dig the lithograph, the map is quality , the dice are fantastic. A deck of all 40 destiny cards , the soundtrack and that damn troll. The packaging is also ace, will post some pictures tomarrow but this beast is a class act. Game is installing but won't be able to play till tomarrow cannot wait.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wanted to post a screen of what using the FXAA tool and not using the FXAA tool looks like. I had to tweak it a bit around from it's defaults, but it was worth it.

Without
2012-02-07_00005.jpg

With
Screenshot98809.png

vaelic

Banned
Wanted to post a screen of what using the FXAA tool and not using the FXAA tool looks like. I had to tweak it a bit around from it's defaults, but it was worth it.

Without
2012-02-07_00005.jpg

With
MG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/jordanhell/Screenshot98809.png[/IMG]

NVIDIA only? Any AMD tweaks out there?

scy

Oh wow. Just noticed that +Ability is capped to +2 over the cap of the skill. Guess I don't need the +4 Finesse I'm sporting...

scy

So when's the earliest you can respec? Also can you choose a new god?

As soon as you leave the tutorial dungeon, more or less. Your god choice is, as far as I know, the only permanent decision involving your character creation.

Wallach

So when's the earliest you can respec? Also can you choose a new god?

You can actually respec with the first fateweaver guy you run into (the main quest guy who first unlocks your Destiny cards). You might not be able to do this until the second time you meet him at the guy's house, though. Otherwise the nearest one to Gorhart is in the House of Ballads.

Hmm, minor glitch on 360. When I made my character it suggested I name her Niah. Now whenever I craft something in Blacksmithing it tries to name the weapon/armor Niah.. there's a yo dawg xzibit joke here somewhere methinks.

Dresden

You can actually respec with the first fateweaver guy you run into (the main quest guy who first unlocks your Destiny cards). You might not be able to do this until the second time you meet him at the guy's house, though. Otherwise the nearest one to Gorhart is in the House of Ballads.

As soon as you leave the tutorial dungeon, more or less. Your god choice is, as far as I know, the only permanent decision involving your character creation.

Ah, I should go ahead and find that guy the second time, then. Too bad about the god-choice; I hope the Belen pick (+crit chance and damage) works for spells.

Mark of Flame is sweet.

Loxley

Word to the wise about 360 version, there's a bug that some (including myself) experienced where the game will freeze and crash in random places either in or around the first village after the tutorial. Disabling auto-save appears to fix it, sucks to have to manually save to avoid freezes, hopefully this gets fixed quickly ><

They've just released the Creation Kit with Steam integration and high res textures. I doubt Reckoning had anything to do with a price drop.

You have to admit that the timing is a little suspicious ;) If it's completely coincidental, then it's just weird.

Dina

Hey I'm in the wilderness, I just did a quest but I wonder what's the closest questarea near me.

Enter questlog.
Select quest.
Go back to game.
Go into map.
"No, that's too far"
Enter questlog.
Select another quest.
Back to the game again
Into the map.
"Still too far"

etc

This sucks. I wish you could track multiple stuff like in Skyrim. I realize most stuff pops up regardless of what you have tracked if you are near the area, but I'd still like to track more than 1 quest, especially if they're far away.

Damn what do u gotta do to win?!
Every hour Soe and Tobi are giving away free keys. They basically ask simple questions about what they have been doing.

I won by saying what the last move that just killed the boss that Tobi just beat.
I've been watching it all day in the background while I'm working. Tobi screams anytime something interesting happens.

Rokam

Hey I'm in the wilderness, I juts did a quest but I wonder what's the closest questarea near me.

Enter questlog.
Select quest.
Go back to game.
Go into map.
"No, that's too far"
Enter questlog.
Select another quest.
Back to the game again
Into the map.
"Still too far"

etc

This sucks. I would you could track multiple stuff like in Skyrim. I realize most stuff pops up regardless of what you have tracked if you are near the area, but I'd still like to track more than 1 quest even if they're far away.

Yeah that's my one big complaint, or at least an option to display all quest objectives on the world map at once.

Wallach

Yeah that's my one big complaint, or at least an option to display all quest objectives on the world map at once.

It's odd that they don't, because all the quest objectives do show up on the mini-map whether they are being tracked or not (they are white instead of yellow if they are not being tracked). Maybe there is a way to turn that on somehow...

Nelo Ice

Banned
Every hour Soe and Tobi are giving away free keys. They basically ask simple questions about what they have been doing.

I won by saying what the last move that just killed the boss that Tobi just beat.
I've been watching it all day in the background while I'm working. Tobi screams anytime something interesting happens.

Awesome which streams are they and how do I comment to win?

Rokam

It's odd that they don't, because all the quest objectives do show up on the mini-map whether they are being tracked or not (they are white instead of yellow if they are not being tracked). Maybe there is a way to turn that on somehow...

And I even noticed in Webwood that it showed the direction of all my quests in that area, but nowhere else so not sure what's up.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You think they timed all of that to take the wind out of Reckonings sail? C'mon man the game has shipped over 10 million.

^.^ every tiny bit helps, it's how things work. Toss in reviewers that compare it to skyrim, and overall say skyrim is better and ZING. You get your embargo biting you in the ass, while new and "enhanced" skyrim is sitting there for people on the fence :p

Loot seems to be handled a little differently to other loot-centric type games I'm used to. Usually you won't get blues and purples till way into a game, yet I'm getting them drop smi regularly and I'm not lvl 8 yet. Anyone else experiencing this, or have I just been lucky with the ol' rng?

Nah they have low level epics, if you are having bad luck like I am currently you can just start making gem stuff and making epic quality stuff on your own.

spirity

Loot seems to be handled a little differently to other loot-centric type games I'm used to. Usually you won't get blues and purples till way into a game, yet I'm getting them drop smi regularly and I'm not lvl 8 yet. Anyone else experiencing this, or have I just been lucky with the ol' rng?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has anyone gone from using the pre-release hack .exe to the regular .exe in Origin? I'm about to switch it out tonight, and I'm hoping that it still recognizes my save games.

Top Bottom